It took 108 years but this is finally home of the World Series champs Cubs!

ryosnk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Chicago's Very Own thread

9/11/ 2010 Meetup - at Galloping Ghost Arcade - Brookfield IL
top row:shieryda, CAG 79, ryosnk, slowdive21, mrosnwo, chi.bri
bottom row: Blackout, Ruben (ryosnk brother), dpac andWeaponX2099
chicagocags.jpg

Home of the 2013 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Home of the 2009-2010 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Hello, I am a Chicago guy so I would like to start a Chicago thread so maybe we can help each other out by letting Chicago area cheapasses find cheap deals.
:D

-Saturday, April 5 at 3PM Dunaly's on the Square 3137 W. Logan Blvd.-

7/31/2007
Would anyone be interested in a CAG Chicago meet up at game works (in woodfield)? They have a special for $10 on thursday for all you can play from 9 to midnight.

More info here: http://www.gameworks.com/events_deta...?location_id=6

HOME OF THE 2005 WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX
sox1.gif

20176977.jpg

Chicago member List (Now I know who gets my games :wink: j/k)

akilshohen
Apossum
Birbo
bobo2k4
Chickenhawk
Darkside Hazuki
Dpac
EdS25
FlipSide
Flybrione
Gameboy415
heffaji
JJAPPLE
jaykrue
jonnyfivealive
Johnny Postman
Jonny Polychronopoulos
Loserboy
mario23air
Maynard
Minqqq
peccosan
Prepster
Ragingbull2380
Rig
rly723
Rocksolidaudio (1up located in San Francisco)
ryosnk (Addison and austin)
SEGA128DC
SeraphiMichael
shadd01
shieryda (located near Six Corners)
Slipknot9762
souNReAL
Stoneage
tmei03
tqm11
Vicious
Walt Jay
Watchman
WeaponX2099
Wiseguy

Here are some little known stores in the Chicagoland area.

VideoGames Etc.
4351 N. Harlem
Norridge, IL 60706

Gamerz Garage
6128 Cass Ave
Westmont, IL 60559

Message originally posted by ryosnk on 04-19-2004 at 05:31 PM:

I'm going to be a dad! 10/02/07

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited 3/25/08 at 1:40am

last edit 8-21-08 5:12pm

Last edited by ryosnk; 09-12-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 09-25-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 10-01-2008 at 03:00 AM.
8/27/2010
GO WHITE SOX AND CUBBIES! Maybe next year!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='TheHeef']Is the thing at the Ghost this weekend still happening? I can still make it out this weekend, with some games I need to part with. Plus an improvised meet-up would be fun.[/QUOTE]

Yes it is, but I'm 50/50 now, because my friend is having a b-day party there the following Saturday. I'm unsure if I want to go back to back weekends. However, there is this....

http://www.groupon.com/deals/galloping-ghost-arcade

edit - on second thought, I bought the 4-pack, so I'm more like 95% going this Saturday too.

[quote name='TooMuchCoolness']Giving away Gran Turismo 2 (PSX) and Stunt Race FX (SNES) to any nearby CAG.[/QUOTE]

If you are going to the swap meet/cag meetup, I would like the snes game.

So those of you who are still going to the meetup tomorrow...do we have a time? I was thinking later in the morning, like 10 or 11, but I'm flexible.

And I know I've asked this to some of you before, but those of you who are bringing stuff to trade/sell at this thing...do you bring A-material or just your gaming Recycle Bin? My wife and I moved into a smaller space a few weeks ago, and I can't keep a few of my systems, like my Saturn and my 360. I don't know if I'm coming fully loaded or if I should just leave that stuff at home.

They don't open till 11, so don't come too early. I usually bring the recycling bin, so to speak, if anything at all, but remember this time there will be a bunch of other gamers there besides us CAGs to deal with. CAGs are, by definition, cheap, but some of these guys could be interested in more premium stuff. I've got some old store displays from working at Toys R Us 10 years back that I'm on the fence about bringing. Not kiosks, but full size cardboard standees and the like, for stuff like FF9/The Bouncer. The stuff these guys are talking about bringing on the Facebook event page makes me think I could actually get rid of these things.

I'm going to bring a few small things I have multiples of, but noting high end. I'll be looking to buy more than sell/trade. I really should bring some junk guides, but I don't think I will have time to get them together.

All right, I think I found a healthy mix of goodies. Some decent games, a bunch of disc-only ones, and a few doubles...I am bringing my Saturn, though, and I'll see if I can find a buyer before deciding to sell it elsewhere. Apparently space is first come first serve, so I'll try to get there around 11, when they open. See you when I see you!

EDIT: Figures...Getting all set to go and the weather goes to crap...now I'm having second thoughts...

[quote name='TheHeef']
EDIT: Figures...Getting all set to go and the weather goes to crap...now I'm having second thoughts...[/QUOTE]

Well, slowdive and I are gonna brave out the elements today and be there around 11:15-11:30. Hope to see some other CAGs as well.

[quote name='mrosnwo']Well, slowdive and I are gonna brave out the elements today and be there around 11:15-11:30. Hope to see some other CAGs as well.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, who am I kidding...I'm in too. I'll be later, though, since it's a hike for me. See you soon!

[quote name='WeaponX2099']How was it? My schedule only allowed me an hour there, and that wasn't worth it.[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed myself. Sold quite a bit, found some goodies, met some really cool folks. Don't even care that I didn't play that many games. Not many CAGs, sadly.

Nice meeting ya Mr. Heef. We need a CAG only swap meet soon, maybe some place less crowded. I'll drag out all my games next time.

I wanted to make it out there but the weather sucked and I was busy. How was the general turnout? Lots of people selling?

Not many sellers or buyers, which was disappointing because the place was absolutely packed. Too many people were there just to game and didn't bring cash to buy things. Maybe lack of advertising on their behalf, but whatever it was, it seemed like for the amount of people there, the foot traffic going through the party rooms(where they held the swap) didn't equate to the number of people in the place.

[quote name='mrosnwo']Not many sellers or buyers, which was disappointing because the place was absolutely packed. Too many people were there just to game and didn't bring cash to buy things. Maybe lack of advertising on their behalf, but whatever it was, it seemed like for the amount of people there, the foot traffic going through the party rooms(where they held the swap) didn't equate to the number of people in the place.[/QUOTE]

I was at that first table next to the door and the person next to me and I had several people ask us if it was a private party. The guys at the Ghost probably should've made it clear that it was open to everyone.

[quote name='TheHeef']Are steelbooks all you have? My eyes went wide when I saw Oblivion 5th Anniversary for PS3.[/QUOTE]

As far as games, I'm not trading much else than what's in my thread at the moment. I have hundreds of blu-rays through that link that I'm trading/selling.

The turnout wasn't great for the swap meet. Some guys came early and bought some stuff I would have swept up. I filled in some gaps in the NES collection, so it wasn't a total waste. It was the most people ever at the arcade though according to Doc.

I agree we need a CAG meetup to swap stuff or just talk like that time we were at that pizza place.

EDIT: Haven't checked CAG since Friday...still catching up.

Anybody here on Yelp? I finally have a decent smartphone and it's a lot easier to review stuff through an app, on-site, rather than waiting 'til I get home (I don't have a laptop or tablet).

http://dfg.yelp.com/

I don't know if they do for sure, but they should since there are brick & mortar MCs in Chicago.

Circle of Yelp Trust!

So what are some good game stores around town? I'm not talking about GameStop or Play n Trade. Stuff like People Play Games or Disc Replay. I used to love Gamer's Garage before it closed.

Anybody have any recommendations of good retro and/or mom&pop game stores?

[quote name='Drclaw411']So what are some good game stores around town? I'm not talking about GameStop or Play n Trade. Stuff like People Play Games or Disc Replay. I used to love Gamer's Garage before it closed.

Anybody have any recommendations of good retro and/or mom&pop game stores?[/QUOTE]

The Exchange is pretty good.

So yeah, WeaponX might've noticed already on Yelp, but I hit up 3 Best Buys today looking for "pennied" guides but BB just disappears the SKUs now. Arlington Heights cashier refused to sell, Golf Mill didn't have squat, and Village Xing (Niles) manager apologized but said he couldn't sell. I think it's all YMMV about getting a sympathetic manager.

The target on 2000 n elston still has uncharted 2 in stock. It took awhile to get them to change the price from 30 to 6 dollars, but once the manager who was young enough to understand vidya and know that its the same GOTY game whether it says "greatest hits" on it on not arrived, things went smoothly.

Forgot to mention I also hit the Best Buy on Howard in Evanston and it looks like they keep an eye on their penny guides—nothing to be found. They do have their clearance stuff relatively sorted. I saw some $0.99 sealed copies of DJ Hero (game only) and some other random stuff, even some 99c pre-owned PS2 and PSP stuff, altho it was mostly crap.

Slowdive suggested that I could ask this here so I hope you guys don't mind me going off topic for a bit.

I'm going to start working downtown starting in October. Rent in Chicago is expensive (though I could technically afford it, I'd rather have money to eat and pay off my student loans) so I plan to live in the suburbs.

I was wondering if you guys could make any recommendations about on living/working from the suburbs/downtown, or any specific apartment complexes that you'd recommend?

I'm basically looking for a 1 bedroom apartment and a place where I can use the trains (my workplace will be right by 121 Union... or something? I have no idea how the trains work yet). A fairly big place would be nice so I could finally have enough room for my came collection. The only amenity I want is a place to park my car like an individual garage or at least, my own space since I have a rather nice car. But I've been told I can't be too picky about that aspect.

I heard Oak Park is a good place but I honestly have no idea what's what in Chicago/suburbs. I've lived in Rockford the last two decades and have gotten so used to driving everywhere. I never planned on working in Chicago but the circumstances are beyond my control.

I'm not really familiar with the Metra routes (tho I should be) but there are a lot of people here in Mt. Prospect that park in the daily pay spaces near the train station and commute into the city. I'm sure apartments are a mixed bag all around the 'burbs. I've lived in 7 different apartments since getting married, but 6 of them were in West Ridge / W Rogers Park in Chicago. My advice would be to do as much research online about specific complexes to hear what the tenants bitch about: utilities, parking, neighbor demographics, even bugs. Best of luck.

[quote name='dfg']I'm not really familiar with the Metra routes (tho I should be) but there are a lot of people here in Mt. Prospect that park in the daily pay spaces near the train station and commute into the city. I'm sure apartments are a mixed bag all around the 'burbs. I've lived in 7 different apartments since getting married, but 6 of them were in West Ridge / W Rogers Park in Chicago. My advice would be to do as much research online about specific complexes to hear what the tenants bitch about: utilities, parking, neighbor demographics, even bugs. Best of luck.[/QUOTE]

So it's basically a crapshoot, huh? Oh well, I figured as much. Good thing I have time still.

[quote name='Vinny']So it's basically a crapshoot, huh? Oh well, I figured as much. Good thing I have time still.[/QUOTE]

It's a big giant crapshoot. North & West and South all have good areas that close to Metra services. But you could go the north side possibly find something in your range.

Mt. Prospect might give you life a little more like Rockford. Metra Service is good that direction, and you would come into Olgilvie station which is the closest Metra station to 121 Union. Plus Rockford isn't hard to get to from that location.

I've lived on the south side as well (95th and Cicero), that SouthWest line sucked (and probably still does because it crosses tracks used by freight trains). The Rock Island is more dependable but goes into a station a good distance from where you'll be at versus the SouthWest line that goes into Union Station which is a bit closer.

Presently I'm in Evanston. It is urban, but having lots of things within walking distance is great. I go the entire week without having to use my car. It is definitely has a higher cost of living than if you go West or South. However, the Metra service is great. An example is Metra had planned a multi-million dollar project. It was going to cause some people to have to wait 15-30 minutes longer for a train. Because of the money and influence that lives on this line Metra cancelled the plans for the project. And then developed plans where service would not be disrupted.

bread's done
Back