It took 108 years but this is finally home of the World Series champs Cubs!

ryosnk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Chicago's Very Own thread

9/11/ 2010 Meetup - at Galloping Ghost Arcade - Brookfield IL
top row:shieryda, CAG 79, ryosnk, slowdive21, mrosnwo, chi.bri
bottom row: Blackout, Ruben (ryosnk brother), dpac andWeaponX2099
chicagocags.jpg

Home of the 2013 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Home of the 2009-2010 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Hello, I am a Chicago guy so I would like to start a Chicago thread so maybe we can help each other out by letting Chicago area cheapasses find cheap deals.
:D

-Saturday, April 5 at 3PM Dunaly's on the Square 3137 W. Logan Blvd.-

7/31/2007
Would anyone be interested in a CAG Chicago meet up at game works (in woodfield)? They have a special for $10 on thursday for all you can play from 9 to midnight.

More info here: http://www.gameworks.com/events_deta...?location_id=6

HOME OF THE 2005 WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX
sox1.gif

20176977.jpg

Chicago member List (Now I know who gets my games :wink: j/k)

akilshohen
Apossum
Birbo
bobo2k4
Chickenhawk
Darkside Hazuki
Dpac
EdS25
FlipSide
Flybrione
Gameboy415
heffaji
JJAPPLE
jaykrue
jonnyfivealive
Johnny Postman
Jonny Polychronopoulos
Loserboy
mario23air
Maynard
Minqqq
peccosan
Prepster
Ragingbull2380
Rig
rly723
Rocksolidaudio (1up located in San Francisco)
ryosnk (Addison and austin)
SEGA128DC
SeraphiMichael
shadd01
shieryda (located near Six Corners)
Slipknot9762
souNReAL
Stoneage
tmei03
tqm11
Vicious
Walt Jay
Watchman
WeaponX2099
Wiseguy

Here are some little known stores in the Chicagoland area.

VideoGames Etc.
4351 N. Harlem
Norridge, IL 60706

Gamerz Garage
6128 Cass Ave
Westmont, IL 60559

Message originally posted by ryosnk on 04-19-2004 at 05:31 PM:

I'm going to be a dad! 10/02/07

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited 3/25/08 at 1:40am

last edit 8-21-08 5:12pm

Last edited by ryosnk; 09-12-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 09-25-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 10-01-2008 at 03:00 AM.
8/27/2010
GO WHITE SOX AND CUBBIES! Maybe next year!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='WeaponX2099']It's a big giant crapshoot. North & West and South all have good areas that close to Metra services. But you could go the north side possibly find something in your range.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='52club']Mt. Prospect might give you life a little more like Rockford. Metra Service is good that direction, and you would come into Olgilvie station which is the closest Metra station to 121 Union. Plus Rockford isn't hard to get to from that location.

I've lived on the south side as well (95th and Cicero), that SouthWest line sucked (and probably still does because it crosses tracks used by freight trains). The Rock Island is more dependable but goes into a station a good distance from where you'll be at versus the SouthWest line that goes into Union Station which is a bit closer.

Presently I'm in Evanston. It is urban, but having lots of things within walking distance is great. I go the entire week without having to use my car. It is definitely has a higher cost of living than if you go West or South. However, the Metra service is great. An example is Metra had planned a multi-million dollar project. It was going to cause some people to have to wait 15-30 minutes longer for a train. Because of the money and influence that lives on this line Metra cancelled the plans for the project. And then developed plans where service would not be disrupted.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tips guys.

Im debating this summer maybe have a Saturn bomberman party (10 player) with food and drinks. Would there be people interesting in coming if I do this?

[quote name='Makarov']Anyone find anything good at the Half Price Books sales around the suburbs here?[/QUOTE]

Yes, but not for a while now. Full disclosure is I'm planning on doing a complete (when the hell did they open one in Naperville?) circuit this Sunday on the 50% off sale. Promised my wife we'd hit any nearby malls and whatnot too. If I see anything standout, I might post here, altho I don't like using forums on my phone, tapatalk be damned.

[quote name='ryosnk']Im debating this summer maybe have a Saturn bomberman party (10 player) with food and drinks. Would there be people interesting in coming if I do this?[/QUOTE]

I really should make an effort to come to a physical meetup one of these days. I'm a perpetual maybe.

[quote name='ryosnk']Im debating this summer maybe have a Saturn bomberman party (10 player) with food and drinks. Would there be people interesting in coming if I do this?[/QUOTE]

I'm cool with that.

[quote name='dfg']when the hell did they open one in Naperville?[/QUOTE]

*Raises hand* I'm at that one a lot. Usually can find good stuff there, but it's hit or miss.

Does anyone happen to be near the Gamestop on Cicero Ave? There is a $10 game I am looking for at these stores and I am willing to give $25 to cover the cost of game, S&H costs and gas/time.

Hope someone can help me.

[quote name='Bezerker']Does anyone happen to be near the Gamestop on Cicero Ave? There is a $10 game I am looking for at these stores and I am willing to give $25 to cover the cost of game, S&H costs and gas/time.

Hope someone can help me.[/QUOTE]

What game? PM me, it maybe at one the one near me.

Oh, ignite network is at a new location? I've never been there, but I noticed where they used to be(Clybourn and Western), the building was torn down completely. Never saw anyone in there all the times I drove by, I wondered how they stayed in business. Also, the Underground Retrocade is supposed to be legit. Galloping Ghost often sends their "pros" over there, and they've run co-promoted competitions with each other.

[quote name='mrosnwo']Oh, ignite network is at a new location? I've never been there, but I noticed where they used to be(Clybourn and Western), the building was torn down completely. Never saw anyone in there all the times I drove by, I wondered how they stayed in business. Also, the Underground Retrocade is supposed to be legit. Galloping Ghost often sends their "pros" over there, and they've run co-promoted competitions with each other.[/QUOTE]

Haven't been to the new location, but I've tried the Rock Band studio at the old location. Consoles for multiplayer (Black Ops, BlazBlue) & PCs for whatever's popular (be it StarCraft II or whatnot). Got promo e-mails about StarCraft tournaments & Steel Series peripherals, so it seems they're doing well for themselves. Plenty of kids when I stopped by on that evening, too (associated multi-hour promos seem to abound).

Yeah that's what I figured, I haven't been there in a few years either and I wonder if it's still as good as I remember when I was younger and didn't have money to spend.

We go several times during the warmer months, truth be told my main reason for going is for the food and to chat with the older dude selling watches from his makeshift mobile display cart. He's been there since my dad used to go going on countless years now. Funny story, when I was a kid my dad had a Wrangler Jeep and when tape decks first started coming out he put a Alpine stereo In it. He spent around $300 on it if memory serves. Anyway when we were walking back to the Jeep there was some Guy was walking up to people hawking off a nice Alpine car stereo for $50. My dad knowing how expensive they were took the Guy on his offer and when we arrived to the Jeep found out it was HIS stereo he bought from the dude. My dad didn't even seem that upset and recalling the event years later over some beers I asked my dad why he wasn't angry, he said that the man was nice enough not to cut the wires and that at $50 it was a good deal. At his age now the old man can't walk the looong distance of the street market but I always say hi to the watch dude in my fathers stead.

The food is probably just as important as the deals ha. I remember there used to be a guy who sold giant slices of pizza for 3 bucks. I loved that pizza. I'm planning on heading there a few times starting in may so hopefully I can find some good stuff!

[quote name='WeaponX2099']I hope nobody is dealing with flooding today.[/QUOTE]

My neighborhood never floods but had a slight puddle in basement this morn. That being said all 3 main roads out of Waukegan always flood during extremely heavy rain so getting to work was adventurous.

[quote name='trollape74']Managed to get outta the house for class before my street flooded. My crawlspace has about 4 inches of water in it though.[/QUOTE]

That's a fuck school move if any.

[quote name='dfg']NEIU campus was closed yesterday due to the flooding.

Also, south side sinkholes ftw![/QUOTE]

South Side Sinkholes is the name of my Lynyrd Skynyrd cover band. LoL.

Just as a heads up to you guys. Do not use Gorilla Games.
I had an issue with my PS3. It was locking up from time to time, and only on certain games (COD, Joe Dirty2). I did a little research, and it appeared that it was on the urge of YLOD, and was overheating. Called around, and a local game shop Gorilla Games, said they could fix it. I took it in, gave them a deposit and waited. Five days later I get a voice mail saying they could not fix it, that it was the motherboard, and I could come and pick up my machine. I drove up to pick it up, and brought it home and nothing. I got a green light, but nothing on the screen. I thought maybe I need to reset the video. The button did not respond. I called the store, and the lady I picked up the machine from said that she would have the manager call me. If I had any thought for one minute, I would be getting back a bricked machine; I would have waited for it to die and bought a new one or sent it to Sony. The major issue I have is that I had singstar videos on the machine that had my kids when they were young.

I still got no call and finally reached out via Facebook. Long story short, I was offer $20 for the PS3 they broke Once I threaten to take him to take then to small claims court, they offered me back my deposit , (which could take up to 5 days)
He is saying my machine was YLOD, when I dropped it off, which it wasn’t. If it was I would have sent it to Sony and gotten a replacement box for a $100. (which is the current rate for replacement) and a 1 year guarantee.

This store charges $90 for YLOD, and a 60 day guarantee. I was trying to be proactive. Now I have a bricked system that I am sending to Sony.

C2E2 stats tomorrow! Who's going? Gaming-wise, there's an Injustice panel taking place, I think Saturday, hosted by Ed Boon. I also see a booth labeled IGN/Capcom on the floor plan. Supposed to be some local indy devs there as well. Plus, An Evening with Kevin Smith on Saturday.

[quote name='mrosnwo']C2E2 stats tomorrow! Who's going? Gaming-wise, there's an Injustice panel taking place, I think Saturday, hosted by Ed Boon. I also see a booth labeled IGN/Capcom on the floor plan. Supposed to be some local indy devs there as well. Plus, An Evening with Kevin Smith on Saturday.[/QUOTE]

I want to go but low in funds. It seems C2E2 is getting bigger and better ever year. mrosnwo post some pics of the event and take pics with some hot cosplay women. ;-)

[quote name='trollape74']Any CAGS been to the Maxwell Street Market lately? Been itching to go but don't want to take off work if there aren't too many sellers out.[/QUOTE]

Maxwell street market? Do you mean the on that is nearby canal?

[quote name='Xellos2099']Maxwell street market? Do you mean the on that is nearby canal?[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure, I think it's on Des Plaines St. I know it's near UIC but I'm not to familiar with the city. Also any CAG trying to get in on the HHGregg Clearance deal should avoid the one in Arlington Heights on Rand Rd. Just picked up the last few games as someone showed up at store opening and bought almost all of them.

Yesterday I received a phone call from ATT and they were telling me they want to give me a U-verse plan for $20.00 per month for 1 year and then it will go to my current 6mb price plan, which is $46. They say all the equipment is free and they will give me a free modem. I really want the deal since i basically have to watch my network usage ever since the 150gb limit. The uverse 250 limit would really help but the deal seems too good to be true. Have anyone here being offer the same plan as well? I am from Chicago, IL area btw

Today I found a hardcover diablo 3 guide at HPB for $10 in the burbs! I like to collect these hardcover guides so that was pretty sweet

[quote name='Xellos2099']Yesterday I received a phone call from ATT and they were telling me they want to give me a U-verse plan for $20.00 per month for 1 year and then it will go to my current 6mb price plan, which is $46. They say all the equipment is free and they will give me a free modem. I really want the deal since i basically have to watch my network usage ever since the 150gb limit. The uverse 250 limit would really help but the deal seems too good to be true. Have anyone here being offer the same plan as well? I am from Chicago, IL area btw[/QUOTE]

Why will you pay $46 for just 6MB?

I am currently paying $51 for 12Mbps after the promotion ended. I guess it depends on the area. I'm in the burbs

bread's done
Back