It took 108 years but this is finally home of the World Series champs Cubs!

ryosnk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Chicago's Very Own thread

9/11/ 2010 Meetup - at Galloping Ghost Arcade - Brookfield IL
top row:shieryda, CAG 79, ryosnk, slowdive21, mrosnwo, chi.bri
bottom row: Blackout, Ruben (ryosnk brother), dpac andWeaponX2099
chicagocags.jpg

Home of the 2013 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Home of the 2009-2010 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Hello, I am a Chicago guy so I would like to start a Chicago thread so maybe we can help each other out by letting Chicago area cheapasses find cheap deals.
:D

-Saturday, April 5 at 3PM Dunaly's on the Square 3137 W. Logan Blvd.-

7/31/2007
Would anyone be interested in a CAG Chicago meet up at game works (in woodfield)? They have a special for $10 on thursday for all you can play from 9 to midnight.

More info here: http://www.gameworks.com/events_deta...?location_id=6

HOME OF THE 2005 WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX
sox1.gif

20176977.jpg

Chicago member List (Now I know who gets my games :wink: j/k)

akilshohen
Apossum
Birbo
bobo2k4
Chickenhawk
Darkside Hazuki
Dpac
EdS25
FlipSide
Flybrione
Gameboy415
heffaji
JJAPPLE
jaykrue
jonnyfivealive
Johnny Postman
Jonny Polychronopoulos
Loserboy
mario23air
Maynard
Minqqq
peccosan
Prepster
Ragingbull2380
Rig
rly723
Rocksolidaudio (1up located in San Francisco)
ryosnk (Addison and austin)
SEGA128DC
SeraphiMichael
shadd01
shieryda (located near Six Corners)
Slipknot9762
souNReAL
Stoneage
tmei03
tqm11
Vicious
Walt Jay
Watchman
WeaponX2099
Wiseguy

Here are some little known stores in the Chicagoland area.

VideoGames Etc.
4351 N. Harlem
Norridge, IL 60706

Gamerz Garage
6128 Cass Ave
Westmont, IL 60559

Message originally posted by ryosnk on 04-19-2004 at 05:31 PM:

I'm going to be a dad! 10/02/07

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited 3/25/08 at 1:40am

last edit 8-21-08 5:12pm

Last edited by ryosnk; 09-12-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 09-25-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 10-01-2008 at 03:00 AM.
8/27/2010
GO WHITE SOX AND CUBBIES! Maybe next year!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bobo2k4']Go Bulls!

Anyone got a DS lite or phat to trade or sell?[/quote]

I have a phat to sell. :)

I went to a Best Buy tonight (2/12) in Batavia off Randall Rd. ( I go to NIU so only a 30 min or so drive) and they had about 20 Wiis out. I picked one up for myself :) A nice score.

CIRCUIT CITY IN MATTESON, IL IS ONE OF THE 7 US STORES CLOSING, EXPECT CLEARANCE SALES...

Too far for me to drive, but some of you guys might want to check it out

Stopped by the Howard Target to see what was there today. The original Baten Kaitos for the GameCube (Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean, not BK Origins) was five bucks, so I had to pick it up. A few Viewtiful Joe: Double Trouble's were on a $15 DS endcap at one of the registers, but I didn't bother to check the price. (Heard it was five bucks in the most recent Target thread.) Unfortunately, Sonic Mega Collection Plus for the PS2 (Greatest Hits edition) was still $20 and in the locked case; I had the price for that title checked, too.

At any rate, if you want the first Baten Kaitos game for the GameCube, there should be a couple near the top of a GameCube corner rack at the back end of the first game aisle near electronics. They're just behind one copy of a GC title like Animal Crossing, Super Mario Sunshine, or something or other (can't remember which right now).

The Target Clearance Thread Part VII:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125767

[quote name='briansraregames']CIRCUIT CITY IN MATTESON, IL IS ONE OF THE 7 US STORES CLOSING, EXPECT CLEARANCE SALES...

Too far for me to drive, but some of you guys might want to check it out[/QUOTE]

Damn it!!! I'll go tomorrow.

Matteson is the one way SE of the city right? Around 130th St close to the Indiana border?

One of the Chicago stores is supposed to be closing too - I'm guessing it's the North Ave one but I'll check tomorrow.

[quote name='Johnny Postman']Matteson is the one way SE of the city right? Around 130th St close to the Indiana border?

One of the Chicago stores is supposed to be closing too - I'm guessing it's the North Ave one but I'll check tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

No, it around 211th, off of I-57.

[quote name='WeaponX2099']No, it around 211th, off of I-57.[/QUOTE]

Thanks - Once I'm outside the city itself and the adjacent 'burbs, I never recall what town goes where. :)

Stopped at the North Ave store today but no one there had heard about any closings - I wonder if the Matteson store is what they meant when they said "Chicago" in the article.

Also, if anyone is looking for a deal on the GBA Micro - the Walmart at Golf-Mill has around 15 of the 20th Anniversary Editions for $50. Not as nice as the $35 some parts of the country menioned seeing them at but I think that's about as good as it gets for Chicago.

where is the walmart by golf mill? only one 2 i know of are on touhy past carpenter or is it central.. you know, over there by.. the mall, and the one on cicero after north ave. but golf mill? hmm...

if anyone is close to desplaines the kmart over there,has a neat section for clearenced stuff in the electronics section, its to far for me to go there everyother day and see ehats new or dropped. but whoevers around there can get some decent deals. Occasional games, mostly accessories.

i've talked to the workers in all the targets and they tell me, that if something doesn't sell and there are a whole bunch they send them back, even if its on clearence. so if we ever see a bunch of something one day and none the next you know why.

we should have a chicago tradelist. cuz im skeptical of mailing out anywhere else. has anyone traded outside illinois?

[quote name='MisterNewGuy']where is the walmart by golf mill? only one 2 i know of are on touhy past carpenter or is it central.. you know, over there by.. the mall, and the one on cicero after north ave. but golf mill? hmm...

if anyone is close to desplaines the kmart over there,has a neat section for clearenced stuff in the electronics section, its to far for me to go there everyother day and see ehats new or dropped. but whoevers around there can get some decent deals. Occasional games, mostly accessories.

i've talked to the workers in all the targets and they tell me, that if something doesn't sell and there are a whole bunch they send them back, even if its on clearence. so if we ever see a bunch of something one day and none the next you know why.

we should have a chicago tradelist. cuz im skeptical of mailing out anywhere else. has anyone traded outside illinois?[/QUOTE]

Wal-Mart Store #3725
8500 West Golf Road
Niles, IL 60714
(847) 966-7904

I believe there was an old Venture store there. It's the dead side of that corner that most people overlook because they spot BestBuy down the road. :)

[quote name='MSA']I believe there was an old Venture store there. It's the dead side of that corner that most people overlook because they spot BestBuy down the road. :)[/quote]

oh shnap! over there? like behind golf mill. where sears was? kinda behind hmm.. target? i'm going to morton grove in a few, might drop by there.

[quote name='MSA']I believe there was an old Venture store there. It's the dead side of that corner that most people overlook because they spot BestBuy down the road. :)[/QUOTE]

Before Walmart, I'm pretty sure it was a Kmart (I recall getting a dancing Jar-Jar Binks there during the GOOB sale long ago), closed for years and just opened up again. It's in the strip mall that's on the NE corner of Golf/Milwaukee - from the TRU, it's directly north across Golf Rd.

This intersection is like CAG heaven for clearance games/sales - They have BB, TRU, Sears, Target, Walmart, FYE, KB Toys, Gamestop and Gamecrazy all right there. Too bad the CC shut down a couple years ago or it would have had everything.

[quote name='MisterNewGuy']oh shnap! over there? like behind golf mill. where sears was? kinda behind hmm.. target? i'm going to morton grove in a few, might drop by there.[/QUOTE]

Did the Sears there close up, only hit TRU/Walmart/Target while I was there so I didn't notice.

[quote name='Johnny Postman']Did the Sears there close up, only hit TRU/Walmart/Target while I was there so I didn't notice.[/quote]

yeh i believe the sears closed up.. or am i thinking about the CC? hmm... will check onitlater. but now i recall the walmart over there, its fairly new right? but your right, its heaven for clearance time.. to bad they all have diff clearance dates.. to far for me to waste gas every other day and bargin hunt.
but i have a Target, Kmart, Gamestop, Gamecrazy, TRU, Sears all within 1.5mile radius of where i live. so i think im ok.

off the record went to walmart on touhy and central..bought 'MADGAB' the game, with the cards and you have to sound out the acctual words with other ones.. its been close to 60 bux everywhere i looked when i wanted it, but its for 23 at walmart. i picked that up. vid games was dead, no deals. :(

Night.

I'm rather new to Chicago, and don't know of that many places to go to for games and the sort (anything such as cheap DVDs, CDs, etc). I read through a lot of these posts and learned of where some Gamestops and the sort are, but are there and nice shops for decent priced games, old school games, or even just oddball stuff in or around the downtown area?

I'm aware of two Salvation Armies (Ashland, and one on Divison) and a Unique Thrift (Halstead).

Any help / advice would be appreciated. Thank you all in advance! =]

EB/Gamestops in Chicagoland running the Buy 2 Get 2 DVD sale:

Please post if you guys find any stores in the area running the Buy 2 Get 2 DVD sale.

So far, I've found three stores in the south suburbs running the buy 2 get 2 free dvd sale:

Lansing (River Oaks, by starbucks, corner of torrence and 159th)
Matteson (Corner of Cicero and rt 30 by toys r us)
Olympia Fields (On US 30 about 1/2 mile west of pulaski)

Buy 2 get 1 free. GS the one on Montrose and California,
and in the Addison Mall, theres a Target. I forgot the name of the other street.
EBGames at LincolnWood mall.

[quote name='rjarmstrong100']I'm rather new to Chicago, and don't know of that many places to go to for games and the sort (anything such as cheap DVDs, CDs, etc). I read through a lot of these posts and learned of where some Gamestops and the sort are, but are there and nice shops for decent priced games, old school games, or even just oddball stuff in or around the downtown area?

I'm aware of two Salvation Armies (Ashland, and one on Divison) and a Unique Thrift (Halstead).

Any help / advice would be appreciated. Thank you all in advance! =][/QUOTE]

Hey theirs VideoGames Etc. located in harlem ave., they have a nice selection of classic games and systems (TG, saturn, neo geo).

Also has anyone had a system repaired at VideoGames Etc.?

Thanks.

[quote name='D_Icon']Buy 2 get 1 free. GS the one on Montrose and California,
and in the Addison Mall, theres a Target. I forgot the name of the other street.
EBGames at LincolnWood mall.[/quote]

we must be neighbors.

[quote name='ryosnk']Hey theirs VideoGames Etc. located in harlem ave., they have a nice selection of classic games and systems (TG, saturn, neo geo).

Also has anyone had a system repaired at VideoGames Etc.?

Thanks.[/quote]

there guys are a RIP OFF @ videogames tc. he gave some kid 10 bux for a ps2 consol that worked infront of my eyes. i felt bad for the kid. he wanted to give me 3 bux for my sega gamegear with 2 games. funk that!

goto Chicago Gamewerk on Cali and Touhy - 773-764-8993 - free estimates on console repairs and he works on stuff thats old school too. i have never been there, but i heard hes cool just starting out, thats the best time to catch someone when they start. be first few clientel so you got it made when he gets it big. im taking my 2600 atari's over there this weekend.

[quote name='MisterNewGuy']there guys are a RIP OFF @ videogames tc. he gave some kid 10 bux for a ps2 consol that worked infront of my eyes. i felt bad for the kid. he wanted to give me 3 bux for my sega gamegear with 2 games. funk that!

goto Chicago Gamewerk on Cali and Touhy - 773-764-8993 - free estimates on console repairs and he works on stuff thats old school too. i have never been there, but i heard hes cool just starting out, thats the best time to catch someone when they start. be first few clientel so you got it made when he gets it big. im taking my 2600 atari's over there this weekend.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. I need to get my vectrex fixed but write back on the prices and experience with the place.

Sorry this isn't about games...but I just scored some Cubs vs. Sox tix from cubs.com! I'm in the virtual waiting room right now to try to buy more tix for other games. Anyone else trying for tix?

New here, but just thought I'd share:

KOHLS Dept. store --

ENTIRE STOCK Video Games 20% off
sale $9.99-$19.99

(Reg. $12.99-$24.99)
thru Feb 24

[quote name='chicagoz']Sorry this isn't about games...but I just scored some Cubs vs. Sox tix from cubs.com! I'm in the virtual waiting room right now to try to buy more tix for other games. Anyone else trying for tix?[/QUOTE]

I got a few sox vs tamba bay tickets but thats about it.

Did anyone find any games on the best buy clearance sale?

If anyone can hook me up with these games I appreciate it.
-Ultimate ghost and goblins
-gradius collection
-KOF neowave

I posted this in the BB clearance thread:

I drove to 5 Best Buys here in the chicago area (in the order I went to them in):

Harlem Irving Plaza (was there at opening)
Melrose Park
North Riverside
Elston & Armitage
Evanston

Out of all the them I managed to get only one game I was looking for:

Mega Man Anniversary Collection (Xbox) $4.99

Didn't see any of the 360 games except for FFXI (and I left it cuz I didn't think spending $10 on a game I was only going to play for 1 month was worth it). Like someone else who posted earlier, I did find a 99 cent Superman bust. And I took advantage of the DVD glitch and bought Amadeus and Citizen Kane on DVD for $9.99. Even the Amadeus DVD was hard to find. Three of the BB I went to were sold out of it.

Since I was looking for mainly the 360 games, I'd say I am dissapointed.

The Best Buy in Tinley Park had jack shit. I was the first through the doors...the only games I saw on the list were Jade Empire and GTA San Andreas.

just got back from hitting up 3 BBs in the chicago area.

first 2 were pretty much busts. i was tempted to get open season DS for 5 at the first BB but passed.

last BB was a goldmine for xbox at old orchard. picked up:

the chronicles of narnia
chronicles of riddick
marc eko's getting up
robotech invasion
van helsing
the suffering ties that bind
open season
darkwatch

and for psp

poplocrois

all the workers there kept saying... that's a lot of games there. even the media guy was clueless about the sale until he realized that today is feb 26 and was the day of their clearance.

Wow, this sale was really hit or miss

Lansing was OK, picked up about 10 games
87th and Halsted was AWESOME and they still had plenty of good stuff when I left. This store is in a kinda bad area.
Ford City Mall was crap

Cal Sag & Cicero was crap...1 game
Matteson was great, I think that I got about 20 games there but the employees were in process of getting what was left.

Homewood was also really good, still some good stuff when I left
Merrillville, IN was crap, totally picked over.
Valparaiso, IN was decent, had some good psp stuff left.

[quote name='crewj']just got back from hitting up 3 BBs in the chicago area.

first 2 were pretty much busts. i was tempted to get open season DS for 5 at the first BB but passed.[/QUOTE]
Hey, crewj, did we talk at the Evanston Best Buy over the lack of selection there? If there were any titles left for the GameCube, I imagine they were probably bought by people before today to bring back for price adjustments and/or return/rebuys in the future (however likely that might be).

After finding out the Sega Genesis Collection ("Sega Classics" on the list?) was $19.99 rather than $1.99, I ended up only getting an Eye Toy game and a few DVDs with 300 preview discs (and movie cash) to boot. So, yeah... I guess I got something good out of the trip. Oh, and it was just one Best Buy -- one, and I was done. Hope everyone found something worthwhile.

--Dan

I checked out the North & Clyborn and Clard & Dicersy Dest buys today within an hour of each opening and they both had none of the games I was looking for. Although I did decide to pick up Okami for $40 - $10 coupon - $15 gift card. Oh well, hopefully I'll get someone's extra Oblvion and I'll be happy.

Found a few things at the Clark/Diversey Best Buy -- mostly stuff for my sons 6th birthday (Open Season, Shrek Superslam, SpongeBob Movie, Madagascar, Monster House, Backyard Football)...He'll be the only 6 year old who gets 10 videogames for his birthday...He's already lucky as hell to have a father who has just about every system still functioning that was produced in the last 29 years....he gets to play Wii, 360, my DS, my PSP....and I'm one of those dads that actuallly knows about the rating system and won't let him play anything over E (with the exception of a few T games like Simpsons Hit and Run).

As an elementary school teacher when I hear 11 year olds talking about Crackdown or GTA or Gears of War it makes me cringe...

[quote name='dpac']Hey, crewj, did we talk at the Evanston Best Buy over the lack of selection there? [/quote]

yup! that was me! nice to see a fellow CAG in the wild! :) i almost picked up open season ds but decided to check out another BB. old orchard had the best xbox selection i've seen after checking out a few stores.

[quote name='briansraregames']Wow, this sale was really hit or miss

Lansing was OK, picked up about 10 games
87th and Halsted was AWESOME and they still had plenty of good stuff when I left. This store is in a kinda bad area.
Ford City Mall was crap

Cal Sag & Cicero was crap...1 game
Matteson was great, I think that I got about 20 games there but the employees were in process of getting what was left.

Homewood was also really good, still some good stuff when I left
Merrillville, IN was crap, totally picked over.
Valparaiso, IN was decent, had some good psp stuff left.[/quote]

Thanks for the tips! I headed to the 87th and Dan Ryan store this morning. I was there when it opened and I had free reign over the video game department. I didn't see much Xbox and PS2 clearance games except that they had a ton of Star Wars KOTOR both 1 and 2, as well as Republic Commando...all for $4.99. I needed and was looking for the KOTOR games so I'm happy I found those.

I almost crapped my pants when I saw a lone copy of Oblivion CE on the shelf! Immediately took it and when I tried to buy it, it rang up $59.99. :cry: The media dept guy said it was the regular edition that was clearanced, but that rang up the same price. I tried my best in a very nice way to see if he could have sold me either one for the clearance price but it was a no-go.

So close yet so far away...

Also stopped at the Elston/Armitage store again and picked some trade bait up:

Romancing Saga (PS2, $9.99).

Guess no one bought it cuz it wasn't a good enough clearance price for it?

[quote name='chicagoz']I posted this in the BB clearance thread:

I drove to 5 Best Buys here in the chicago area (in the order I went to them in):

Harlem Irving Plaza (was there at opening)
Melrose Park
North Riverside
Elston & Armitage
Evanston

Out of all the them I managed to get only one game I was looking for:

Mega Man Anniversary Collection (Xbox) $4.99

Didn't see any of the 360 games except for FFXI (and I left it cuz I didn't think spending $10 on a game I was only going to play for 1 month was worth it). Like someone else who posted earlier, I did find a 99 cent Superman bust. And I took advantage of the DVD glitch and bought Amadeus and Citizen Kane on DVD for $9.99. Even the Amadeus DVD was hard to find. Three of the BB I went to were sold out of it.

Since I was looking for mainly the 360 games, I'd say I am dissapointed.[/quote]

One of my friends said he talked to someone at the HIP best buy. Was that you? He had long blond hair.

[quote name='chicagoz']Also stopped at the Elston/Armitage store again and picked some trade bait up:

Romancing Saga (PS2, $9.99).

Guess no one bought it cuz it wasn't a good enough clearance price for it?[/quote]

i saw that but passed. didn't see much to choose from at that location.

[quote name='Blackout542']One of my friends said he talked to someone at the HIP best buy. Was that you? He had long blond hair.[/quote]

Nope. I look like my avatar (that is me actually - face mapped in Rainbow Six Vegas Xbox 360 version).

[quote name='crewj']i saw that but passed. didn't see much to choose from at that location.[/quote]

That location still has some clearance games, but it was crap like Eyetoy Spy (no camera) and American Chopper 2. If anyone wants those, go to Elston and Armitage.

[quote name='chicagoz']That location still has some clearance games, but it was crap like Eyetoy Spy (no camera) and American Chopper 2. If anyone wants those, go to Elston and Armitage.[/quote]

ugh... seen any open season DS or we love katamari games?

I hit up some north suburb best buys today - Deerfield, Arlington Heights.
Deerfield was a pretty good. Picked up Suikoden V, and Generation of Chaos.
It looked like someone took all the copies and left 1 of each as I know earlier in the week there was more.

Also found PSP RPG Astonia something. Otherwise pretty bare. Did anyone notice the lack of any gamecube games in any of the stores??

[quote name='malalrd']Did anyone notice the lack of any gamecube games in any of the stores??[/quote]

there was basically none of the gamecube games at any of the bbs i went to!

[quote name='crewj']ugh... seen any open season DS or we love katamari games?[/quote]

I believe I saw Open Season DS at either the North/Clyborn or Clark/Diversy Best Buy. I'm heading over there in the next couple of days so I can check again.

[quote name='crewj']there was basically none of the gamecube games at any of the bbs i went to![/QUOTE]

Only the South Elgin store had GC games... a bunch of Wind Waker and Day of Reckoning 2. A couple of 4 Swords... that's all I remember seeing marked down. The Geneva store had nothing.

I was hoping (beyond hope, of course) for MP 7 and Tales of Symphonia

bread's done
Back