It took 108 years but this is finally home of the World Series champs Cubs!

ryosnk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Chicago's Very Own thread

9/11/ 2010 Meetup - at Galloping Ghost Arcade - Brookfield IL
top row:shieryda, CAG 79, ryosnk, slowdive21, mrosnwo, chi.bri
bottom row: Blackout, Ruben (ryosnk brother), dpac andWeaponX2099
chicagocags.jpg

Home of the 2013 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Home of the 2009-2010 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Hello, I am a Chicago guy so I would like to start a Chicago thread so maybe we can help each other out by letting Chicago area cheapasses find cheap deals.
:D

-Saturday, April 5 at 3PM Dunaly's on the Square 3137 W. Logan Blvd.-

7/31/2007
Would anyone be interested in a CAG Chicago meet up at game works (in woodfield)? They have a special for $10 on thursday for all you can play from 9 to midnight.

More info here: http://www.gameworks.com/events_deta...?location_id=6

HOME OF THE 2005 WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX
sox1.gif

20176977.jpg

Chicago member List (Now I know who gets my games :wink: j/k)

akilshohen
Apossum
Birbo
bobo2k4
Chickenhawk
Darkside Hazuki
Dpac
EdS25
FlipSide
Flybrione
Gameboy415
heffaji
JJAPPLE
jaykrue
jonnyfivealive
Johnny Postman
Jonny Polychronopoulos
Loserboy
mario23air
Maynard
Minqqq
peccosan
Prepster
Ragingbull2380
Rig
rly723
Rocksolidaudio (1up located in San Francisco)
ryosnk (Addison and austin)
SEGA128DC
SeraphiMichael
shadd01
shieryda (located near Six Corners)
Slipknot9762
souNReAL
Stoneage
tmei03
tqm11
Vicious
Walt Jay
Watchman
WeaponX2099
Wiseguy

Here are some little known stores in the Chicagoland area.

VideoGames Etc.
4351 N. Harlem
Norridge, IL 60706

Gamerz Garage
6128 Cass Ave
Westmont, IL 60559

Message originally posted by ryosnk on 04-19-2004 at 05:31 PM:

I'm going to be a dad! 10/02/07

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited 3/25/08 at 1:40am

last edit 8-21-08 5:12pm

Last edited by ryosnk; 09-12-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 09-25-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 10-01-2008 at 03:00 AM.
8/27/2010
GO WHITE SOX AND CUBBIES! Maybe next year!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Blackout542']For the DW5 try Gamecrazy on Central. I think I saw them there. Call ahead first though!!

Hey, wanna get Castlevania DOS at Best buy, in the cheapy thread many people are finding multiple copies. Anyone in Chicago been getting these or seen them at any Best Buys???

Please let me know, thanks!!!:bouncy:[/quote]

I think I seen them at pretty much every best buy I went to.
If you want a specific one, try the one by Elston/Fullerton.

Just got back from Compusa in downtown.
Games are still only 10% and accessories are 15%.
They had a sign that said that there were PS3s in stock but I didn't ask about it.

[quote name='bobo2k4']Just got back from Compusa in downtown.
Games are still only 10% and accessories are 15%.
They had a sign that said that there were PS3s in stock but I didn't ask about it.[/quote]

Oh man, it's taking FOREVER for those video games to drop past 10%! Do they still have that nice slection of games?

My coworker bought a copy last night. They still had the 9.99 sign up but it rang 19.99. He was able to get the manager to honor the price, but it looks like they
have changed it in their computers to 19.99 folks.

[quote name='chicagoz']Oh man, it's taking FOREVER for those video games to drop past 10%! Do they still have that nice slection of games?[/QUOTE]

Everything is pretty much still there. I did take the last copy of Phoenix Wright JFA tho. I just couldn't want any longer.

[quote name='un_plug']My coworker bought a copy last night. They still had the 9.99 sign up but it rang 19.99. He was able to get the manager to honor the price, but it looks like they
have changed it in their computers to 19.99 folks.[/quote]

Which Best Buy was it? You think they would still honor the 9.99 tag?

Quote: Originally Posted by un_plug
My coworker bought a copy last night. They still had the 9.99 sign up but it rang 19.99. He was able to get the manager to honor the price, but it looks like they
have changed it in their computers to 19.99 folks.

Which Best Buy was it? You think they would still honor the 9.99 tag?
It was out in the suburbs, and since it took him like 15 minutes of them checking and then getting the manager I'm sure they took down the 9.99 sticker board then and there.

Ok so the games are still jsut 10 to 15% off.

What about the rest of the store?

I'm looking to pick up some mac stuff, pureav cables, and maybe a camera or other electronics. Last I saw most stuff was 30%. Mac only 10-20%. Nothing was moving. Has anything else changed. Are the discounts any bigger. Is the store still full of stuff or is it starting to clear out?

Last time I was in the downtown chicago CompUSA the mac stuff (hardware) was still only 5% off and it seemed as though people had actually picked up a lot of stuff. This was the same deal with laptops too. The larger TVs (37+) were still there and I think you might be able to get some deals but you could wait a while. I'm going to stop by later today so I'll report any news.

I went to the CompUSA downtown yesterday. It was somewhat cleared out of stuff. Or maybe I should say there were areas noticibly thinning out of product.

The computers were pretty picked over, surprisingly. I didn't think $50 off an already overpriced machine was a good deal at all.

The games were starting to thin out a little. Still only like 10 percent off though.

While coming back on the 70 Bus from the Buyers Flea Market (Nice stand there with video games in the parking garage esque section) There was a shop called Gamerz (on Division, don't remember the other street). Does anyone know how good the store is? I believe I've seen it mentioned on here somewhere before but I can't locate it.

[quote name='rjarmstrong100']While coming back on the 70 Bus from the Buyers Flea Market (Nice stand there with video games in the parking garage esque section) There was a shop called Gamerz (on Division, don't remember the other street). Does anyone know how good the store is? I believe I've seen it mentioned on here somewhere before but I can't locate it.[/quote]

That is kinda new. I used to live right around the corner from it. It used to be call "Geek" something...it was a computer repair/consulting place, but I guess that tanked. I've been meaning to go but never had the time when I had some extra spending money.

[quote name='servbot']Does Fry's still carry import games? Interested in Jump Ultimate Stars[/quote]

Yes, but last time I went, they only had a few titles for most of the consoles.

Quick heads up...Best Buy on North Ave. in Chicago has restocked a BOATLOAD of sealed Halo 2 Limited Editions for $9.99 each. I spotted at least 30+ on the shelves this afternoon (Sat. 4/7). Happy hunting and happy Easter, too.

Guys, if you want a copy of this game, you'd better get it quick! All copies are disappearing quickly at this price. I got the last regular edition at the Target in Broadview, and they only had 1 special edition copy left.

I picked up a copy at the Target at the Brickyard (Naragansett and Diversey). It was the only regular edition that had left on the shelf and they had only one special edition left on the shelf with the price tag CLEARLY marked. I, too, don't think this game will last at Target at this price. Get it while you can.

Also: Duckie, did you finally get your Wii?

And has anyone been to the Chicago Av. CompUSA in the last few days? I guess I'll head out there this Saturday if no one can report back in.

I was there earlier today and the signs were 20-50% off but I really didn't see anything that was 50%. The games section was all %20 I believe except for ps3 games which were 25% off.

Went to Downtown CompUSA on Sat. Games still 20% off. No deals on anything else either. Only good thigns, Monster power strips 50% and iPod accessories 40%.
Everything else pretty much still 20-30% off retail, no real deal.

Cool info if your a batman or just movie fan. I got this in my email.

TRAFFIC ADVISORY **
WEEKEND UPDATE
PRE-PRODUCTION ON BATMAN MOVIE BEGINS DOWNTOWN

PRE-PRODUCTION STREET CLOSURES
Warner Brothers is scheduled to film pre-production work for the upcoming Batman movie here in Chicago on Wednesday, April 18 through Tuesday, April 24, 2007. This is pre-production work and will not involve celebrity talent at this time.

Lincoln Park Costco (Damen, Diversey, and Elston) got a pallet of Wii Bundles in tonight and they will be for sale tomorrow morning when the warehouse opens. About twenty-something come on a pallet. The bundle includes the console, an extra Wiimote, and Zelda for about $319.99 (?)

Last time I checked, video game consoles do not fall under Costco's revised return policy on electronics, so you get an unlimited warranty, also.

Of course, you will need a membership to buy the bundle. Good luck!

Kind of ridiculous that you still can't just walk into a store and pick up a Wii off the shelf, 6 months after its release.

I guess the 360 was like that too. Seems like both companies was/is intentionally inflating demand.

Saw the black 360 controller and plug and play kit today at Bloomindale's (Army Trail Rd.) Best Buy. There was also a packaged combo controller & plug and play for $69.99, $10 savings.

I just got back from CompUSA in dowtown. it's still 25%-50% with games and accessories at 25%. I managed to score an HD-DVD drive for the 360. They must've had one in the back and finally put it on the floor. Sorry but it was the only one.

[quote name='phreak5k']I just got back from CompUSA in dowtown. it's still 25%-50% with games and accessories at 25%. I managed to score an HD-DVD drive for the 360. They must've had one in the back and finally put it on the floor. Sorry but it was the only one.[/quote]

Games and accessories at 25% off? Ok, I think I may finally head back and see what kind of stuff they have left. Parking on the street is going to be a pain, tho. ARGH.

I checked back yesterday and CompUSA dowtown now has prices 30%-50% off. Games are 30% off. Also anyone wanting some blue-ray titles they are 40% off and there is a medium selection. Too bad they only have 3 HD-DVDs left.

*UPDATE* I mistyped games are only 30% off. Sorry if I wasted anyone's gas or time.

[quote name='phreak5k']I checked back yesterday and CompUSA dowtown now has prices 30%-50% off. Games are 50% off. Also anyone wanting some blue-ray titles they are 40% off and there is a medium selection. Too bad they only have 3 HD-DVDs left.[/quote]

Wow...I'm going there right now - literally!

[quote name='bobo2k4']Anyone know when the downtown compusa going to close?[/quote]
I would guess the end of May or possibly June if they stretch out the sales.

[quote name='bobo2k4']Anyone know when the downtown compusa going to close?[/QUOTE]

They're following a pattern of knocking an extra 5% off per week - the store still has plenty of stock so it doesn't seem like there's any rush to close. I'd guess 4 weeks or so to get up to 50-70% off then a final week where they ramp it up with the last day being 90% off everything - similar to what they did at the Skokie location.

The trick is to time it so the discount is low enough and they still have a good selection. Right now, they still have a ton of stuff in stock but 30% off isn't that much better than using a GGC for something at Best Buy. Some games are even a worse deal because CompUSA always lags behind on lowering MSRP - Blitz for the 360 is still $50 compared to $20 elsewhere.

I'm hoping to last until 40% off to go for some stuff I really wanted (Test Drive: Unlimited, Civil War.)

I went to the Chicago Av. CompUSA today (Saturday).

Yeah, even with the games at 30% off, they still have a lot of them left. I also saw a sign that said the store will be open for only 14 more days.

I couldn't resist. I bought Battle for Middle Earth II (Xbox 360), plus the strategy guide for it. Also picked up 2 (Dune and The Mummy Returns) of what little HD DVD movies they had left. Funny, they still have a couple shelves of Blu Ray movies left.

I'll be going back there probably next Saturday to hopefully get that Star Trek game for Xbox 360, and see if their SD flash memory cards prices plummet.

Stopped by CompUSA on Chicago today. The sign said 13 days left. Games were still 30% off. I'll stop by again on Wednesday to see if they've dropped the prices. There was still a very decent amount of ps2 and xbox/360 games.

[quote name='phreak5k']Stopped by CompUSA on Chicago today. The sign said 13 days left. Games were still 30% off. I'll stop by again on Wednesday to see if they've dropped the prices. There was still a very decent amount of ps2 and xbox/360 games.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the update - I'm planning on checking Fri/Sat as well and will let people know the % off. Hopefully, between all the Chicago CAGs we can keep track of the discount as it goes up and how much stock is left.

CompUSA earier today: 11 days left 40%-60% on most things (saw some straggling 30%) games were 40% off. Alright selection, the shelf was filled but there were only a hanful of games I'm interested in getting.

[quote name='MrDemonicAngel']looking for Puzzle Quest for the DS....anyone seen it? schaumburg/deerfield and anywhere inbetween those two...[/QUOTE]

Only place I've seen it is BB in Batavia on Randall Road. I've almost pulled the trigger three times... I might go back next week.

[quote name='phreak5k']CompUSA earier today: 11 days left 40%-60% on most things (saw some straggling 30%) games were 40% off. Alright selection, the shelf was filled but there were only a hanful of games I'm interested in getting.[/QUOTE]

CompUSA on Randall Road in Geneva has 6 days left. 50-70% off everything. Only one Wii game left, a whole ton of 360 games and a few PSP...

There's even a 42" LG LCD TV for $100... but it's got a HUGE crack through the screen.

[quote name='shajek']CompUSA on Randall Road in Geneva has 6 days left. 50-70% off everything. Only one Wii game left, a whole ton of 360 games and a few PSP...

There's even a 42" LG LCD TV for $100... but it's got a HUGE crack through the screen.[/quote]

I was bored this afternoon so I decided to follow this tip and also hit up the CompUsa in Schaumburg. I ended up with Project 8 and PGR for 360, Liberty City Stories for Ps2 and a nice belkin ipod case for a grand total of around $50. Afternoon well spent.

CompUSA on Chicago Ave. still had the 11 days till closing sign up. 40%-60% most of the store. 40% off games. There was still a fair amount of games but it looked like they were starting to get a little picked through. I nabbed an upgrade version of Vista Ultimate for $130. I'll stop by again probably sometime this weekend and at least monday.

I forgot to mention, the CUSA in Schaumburg had 8-10 copies of College Hoops 2k7 for the interested. I make no guarantee of them being there, I saw them at about 3pm this afternoon.

CompUSA on Chicago Ave still 40% off games - Sign says 10 days left 'til closing.

A lot of the better 360 games are gone now & same for PS2 (they had a dozen or more FFXII last week - nothing now.) Couple of notable 360 games with decent stock - Civil War, Test Drive Unlimited, King Kong, Madden 07, NHL 07, NCAA Football 2K7. These might survive a drop to 50% or more if the weekend tourist crowd doesn't snatch everything up.

360 Accessories picked over thoroughly (no 12 month Live kits left and most of what's left are official MS Component/S-Video cables)

Also, somebody totally cleaned out every PS3 game & accessory sometime in the last few days as well.

One find if anyone doesn't have it yet is a bunch of Elite Beat Agents still on the shelf.

I'll check again Monday to see if the % has gone up.

bread's done
Back