It took 108 years but this is finally home of the World Series champs Cubs!

ryosnk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Chicago's Very Own thread

9/11/ 2010 Meetup - at Galloping Ghost Arcade - Brookfield IL
top row:shieryda, CAG 79, ryosnk, slowdive21, mrosnwo, chi.bri
bottom row: Blackout, Ruben (ryosnk brother), dpac andWeaponX2099
chicagocags.jpg

Home of the 2013 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Home of the 2009-2010 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Hello, I am a Chicago guy so I would like to start a Chicago thread so maybe we can help each other out by letting Chicago area cheapasses find cheap deals.
:D

-Saturday, April 5 at 3PM Dunaly's on the Square 3137 W. Logan Blvd.-

7/31/2007
Would anyone be interested in a CAG Chicago meet up at game works (in woodfield)? They have a special for $10 on thursday for all you can play from 9 to midnight.

More info here: http://www.gameworks.com/events_deta...?location_id=6

HOME OF THE 2005 WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX
sox1.gif

20176977.jpg

Chicago member List (Now I know who gets my games :wink: j/k)

akilshohen
Apossum
Birbo
bobo2k4
Chickenhawk
Darkside Hazuki
Dpac
EdS25
FlipSide
Flybrione
Gameboy415
heffaji
JJAPPLE
jaykrue
jonnyfivealive
Johnny Postman
Jonny Polychronopoulos
Loserboy
mario23air
Maynard
Minqqq
peccosan
Prepster
Ragingbull2380
Rig
rly723
Rocksolidaudio (1up located in San Francisco)
ryosnk (Addison and austin)
SEGA128DC
SeraphiMichael
shadd01
shieryda (located near Six Corners)
Slipknot9762
souNReAL
Stoneage
tmei03
tqm11
Vicious
Walt Jay
Watchman
WeaponX2099
Wiseguy

Here are some little known stores in the Chicagoland area.

VideoGames Etc.
4351 N. Harlem
Norridge, IL 60706

Gamerz Garage
6128 Cass Ave
Westmont, IL 60559

Message originally posted by ryosnk on 04-19-2004 at 05:31 PM:

I'm going to be a dad! 10/02/07

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited 3/25/08 at 1:40am

last edit 8-21-08 5:12pm

Last edited by ryosnk; 09-12-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 09-25-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 10-01-2008 at 03:00 AM.
8/27/2010
GO WHITE SOX AND CUBBIES! Maybe next year!

Last edited by a moderator:
Stopped by People Play Games earlier. Wow, nostalgia city. Tons of old stuff (much more than current gen), and they buy too. I bought some ps2 guides (not the cheapest but excellent condition) and a PC game. The staff seemed quite knowledgeable but their filing system leaves a lot to be desired; it took about 5 minutes for them to find the CDs for my game. I mentioned CAG to them, for some reason.

edit: also, as I was waiting, I saw a framed newspaper article (Trib, I think) about PPG, and a sidebar listed other Chicagoland retro gaming stores, and the place on Harlem we know as VG Etc was listed as [SIZE=-1]Video Games Then And Now[/SIZE], and it's named that on Yelp, too, for some reason.

Yeah I can confirm that the video game store near the HIP on Harlem is called Video Games Then and Now, NOT Video Games Etc. The OP has to be fixed.

dfg, where is People Play Games located? Sounds like a great video game store.

Hmm, has anyone seen any copies of Mass Effect 2 (Collector's Edition) for the Xbox 360, anywhere? I should of pre-ordered the game last month!!!...:bomb:

Play N Trade is terrible, by the way. They're trying to undercut Gamestop by being worse to their video game stock.

They allow new games to be played whenever a walk-in wishes to play that game; however, they'll still sell that same game as NEW, even after being used, in a system, for however long that disc stays in the system.

People Play Games is at 3268 N. Clark, which is right next to the Lakeview Learning Center, bit north of Belmont, south of Wrigley.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/people-play-games-chicago

Coincidentally, I also stopped at a Play 'N Trade (Elmhurst) over the weekend, and wasn't terribly impressed, but I wasn't aware they have such abhorrent practices. I also stopped at a couple of places (Cyb Knight, Supercheap DVDs) near Schaumburg but didn't find anything worth picking up.

edit: regarding the place on Harlem, it's weird, several Yelp reviews say it's called VG Etc. I r confused cat.

Video games then and now is terrible. They treat you like crap and don't even say hi when you walk in. They pretty much ignore you and everything is overpriced. My girlfriend bought Ico for me without knowing how much to pay for it, and ended up paying 39.99+ tax for a copy when other stores had it for 27.99 or less.

I actually love play n trade. they always treat me right (hense the sig. The three play n trades i normally visit are Aurora, Batavia, and Naperville)

I also came to post that play n trade is having a SSFIV tourney soon, in all of the chicagoland and surrounding suburbs. You can win 1000 dollars store credit.

[quote name='bigsick']Video games then and now is terrible. They treat you like crap and don't even say hi when you walk in. They pretty much ignore you and everything is overpriced. My girlfriend bought Ico for me without knowing how much to pay for it, and ended up paying 39.99+ tax for a copy when other stores had it for 27.99 or less.

I actually love play n trade. they always treat me right (hense the sig. The three play n trades i normally visit are Aurora, Batavia, and Naperville)

I also came to post that play n trade is having a SSFIV tourney soon, in all of the chicagoland and surrounding suburbs. You can win 1000 dollars store credit.[/QUOTE]

Damn, that's sad to hear that that Video Games Then and Now is bad. You'd think offhand that an independent video game store would be better than any other chain store.

Yeah, the Play N Trade had really nice employees that helped a lot, but I just don't like how they treat their stock. There were piles and piles of discs sitting around, laser side down!, for pete's sake! The one I went to was on 95th and Western across the street from Wal-Mart.

[quote name='lostmonster']Damn, that's sad to hear that that Video Games Then and Now is bad. You'd think offhand that an independent video game store would be better than any other chain store.

Yeah, the Play N Trade had really nice employees that helped a lot, but I just don't like how they treat their stock. There were piles and piles of discs sitting around, laser side down!, for pete's sake! The one I went to was on 95th and Western across the street from Wal-Mart.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that is shady practice and I know I've seen that as well at some play n trades. Unless you pick them up right away at launch, they seem to be opened. Ive also seen a "new" ps3 that was taken out of the box and was sitting behind glass. Thats not new anymore after you take it out of the box.

I mostly go there for my retro needs. New games is always amazon..and once in a (GREAT) while gamestop.

[quote name='Rahxephon91']Anyone know any place around Chicago and the South Brubs doing a Midnight launch for FFXIII?[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure Gamestop is having some sortof a midnight launch.

[quote name='Josh5890']I'm pretty sure Gamestop is having some sortof a midnight launch.[/QUOTE]
Yeah but I think its up to the Gamestop if they have enough pre-orders. I haven't pre-orderd yet and I would like to do it at one that is actually doing the midnight release.

I haven't scored anything decent at Target in about a year, that I can remember. That's still better than I've ever done at Walmart or Meijer.

[quote name='mrkevon']Anyone know which Target in the Chicagoland area has the best clearance selection for video games?[/QUOTE]

Having been to many Targets across the area, there honestly haven't been any that have been good for clearance stuff. Stores around here are very slow to mark stuff down, probably because people are paying prices at the first markdown ($41.98 for $59.99 games, etc). I've had a little bit of luck with PC games, but nothing for consoles in well over 18 months.

Does anyone here know how trade-in prices at Video Games Then and Now in Norridge compare to Gamestop's? And will they pay in cash instead of store credit?

[quote name='n11n12']Does anyone here know how trade-in prices at Video Games Then and Now in Norridge compare to Gamestop's? And will they pay in cash instead of store credit?[/QUOTE]

I know they do both cash and store credit, but you get less cash than store credit. I'm not sure about their trade-ins though.

[quote name='Rahxephon91']Anyone know any place around Chicago and the South Brubs doing a Midnight launch for FFXIII?[/QUOTE]

I believe the Bestbuy at the HIP will have a midnight for FF13 and GOW3. They gave out a poster for Bioshock 2, and it was one not seen on ebay so far. Got two of those badboys.

I finally picked up a 60 gig hard drive for my 360 and now I need to transfer the info, but I really don't feel like paying MS $20 for a product I'll only use once. So I have two questions:1 - The Gamestop clerk said that you can only use the transfer kit once, which I find highly unlikely.2 - If you can use it more than once, is there anyone in here that has an extra kit they'd be willing to sell? Thanks!

[quote name='pezmanmike']I finally picked up a 60 gig hard drive for my 360 and now I need to transfer the info, but I really don't feel like paying MS $20 for a product I'll only use once. So I have two questions:1 - The Gamestop clerk said that you can only use the transfer kit once, which I find highly unlikely.2 - If you can use it more than once, is there anyone in here that has an extra kit they'd be willing to sell? Thanks![/QUOTE]

Yeah, I got one with my 120. While you're only supposed to transfer data from your old hard drive once, you can reuse the kit to transfer data from other hard drives multiple times. I suppose I'd be willing to sell the one I have, as no one has requested its use among 360-owning friends of mine. PM me if you're interested; I live on the North Side.

[quote name='dpac']Yeah, I got one with my 120. While you're only supposed to transfer data from your old hard drive once, you can reuse the kit to transfer data from other hard drives multiple times. I suppose I'd be willing to sell the one I have, as no one has requested its use among 360-owning friends of mine. PM me if you're interested; I live on the North Side.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the offer; I was able to locate one today. I appreciate it though. Also, last week I saw a bunch of 360/PS3 versions of Guitar Hero: Smash Hits for $19.99 at Target in Lemont IL (Archer and State)

any1 find any deals on games such as Fall Out GOTY, Dragon age, left 4 dead 2, halo ODST, NHL 2010 (looking for 360 versions of the all these games) around the south side of Chicago or suburbs. People on this website from other states post some good deals but when I go to the nearest store by me they still got the full price for these games.

Anyone step outside tonight? It's Silent Hill out there. You can't see a few feet in front of you. I need a radio!!

[quote name='WeaponX2099']Oak Forest Hollywood and Game Crazy is closing. Rent issues.[/QUOTE]

Thats only 20 some minutes away! How is the selection?

[quote name='Estebon']Anyone go to a midnight launch for FF at any Bestbuy? Did they give any cool shit out?[/QUOTE]

Good question. I'd like to know, also.

[quote name='Amerijapoxicano']Anybody getting crunk for St. Patty's day?[/QUOTE]

I did. And I didn't get as bad a hangover as I thought I was going to get! :)

If anyone is near batavia or Aurora, the two play n trades located in those areas are doing a deal where you u can trade in dvds for 1 dollar each for store credit. I literally have about 500 dvds i don't need so i'm bringing them up there soon.

[quote name='D_Icon']Alright, who's the wise guy who bought the GBA Micro from the EB Games on Elston?[/QUOTE]

How much was it?

[quote name='ryosnk']How much was it?[/QUOTE]

It was $29.99. When I called to verify that they had it in stock some lady employee said that they had just sold it. I kept on checking the gs website for the store-availability since then, and it would still show it in stock. Today I went to see for myself, to my surprise they still had it. I ended up buying it, its red one with a gold face-plate.

So how much would I get for a Gold Edition Zelda DS Lite (no s/n)
SpongeBob Edition GBA:SP
Limited Edition GBA:Micro
???

Just curious.

Anyone near six corners notice the new video game store getting ready to open up on Cicero Ave?

Edit: I've been told that it may be open already. They had a DJ and Mario and Luigi dancing outside the front of the store. Sounds like they had a grand opening party.

According to their site, the following stores are closing (if they're not already shuttered):

6201 N CLARK ST
CHICAGO,IL 60660
Phone: (773) 274-1672
Closing Sale - Savings Storewide

5570 159TH ST
OAK FOREST,IL 60452
Phone: (708) 535-3479

512 S NEIL ST
CHAMPAIGN,IL 61820
Phone: (217) 356-2149

[quote name='chicagoz']Anyone near six corners notice the new video game store getting ready to open up on Cicero Ave?

Edit: I've been told that it may be open already. They had a DJ and Mario and Luigi dancing outside the front of the store. Sounds like they had a grand opening party.[/QUOTE]

Cicero and what?

I always go to Wizard on Friday, but I think I will have to go to C2E2 on Saturday to get the longest day.

Open to the Public:
Friday, April 16, 2010 – 1:00 PM - 7:00 PM
Saturday, April 17, 2010 – 10:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Sunday, April 18, 2010 – 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM

[quote name='shieryda']Cicero and what?[/QUOTE]

On Cicero just south of Irving Park Road/six corners. I think it's next to Mr. Submarine.

bread's done
Back