It took 108 years but this is finally home of the World Series champs Cubs!

ryosnk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Chicago's Very Own thread

9/11/ 2010 Meetup - at Galloping Ghost Arcade - Brookfield IL
top row:shieryda, CAG 79, ryosnk, slowdive21, mrosnwo, chi.bri
bottom row: Blackout, Ruben (ryosnk brother), dpac andWeaponX2099
chicagocags.jpg

Home of the 2013 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Home of the 2009-2010 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Hello, I am a Chicago guy so I would like to start a Chicago thread so maybe we can help each other out by letting Chicago area cheapasses find cheap deals.
:D

-Saturday, April 5 at 3PM Dunaly's on the Square 3137 W. Logan Blvd.-

7/31/2007
Would anyone be interested in a CAG Chicago meet up at game works (in woodfield)? They have a special for $10 on thursday for all you can play from 9 to midnight.

More info here: http://www.gameworks.com/events_deta...?location_id=6

HOME OF THE 2005 WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX
sox1.gif

20176977.jpg

Chicago member List (Now I know who gets my games :wink: j/k)

akilshohen
Apossum
Birbo
bobo2k4
Chickenhawk
Darkside Hazuki
Dpac
EdS25
FlipSide
Flybrione
Gameboy415
heffaji
JJAPPLE
jaykrue
jonnyfivealive
Johnny Postman
Jonny Polychronopoulos
Loserboy
mario23air
Maynard
Minqqq
peccosan
Prepster
Ragingbull2380
Rig
rly723
Rocksolidaudio (1up located in San Francisco)
ryosnk (Addison and austin)
SEGA128DC
SeraphiMichael
shadd01
shieryda (located near Six Corners)
Slipknot9762
souNReAL
Stoneage
tmei03
tqm11
Vicious
Walt Jay
Watchman
WeaponX2099
Wiseguy

Here are some little known stores in the Chicagoland area.

VideoGames Etc.
4351 N. Harlem
Norridge, IL 60706

Gamerz Garage
6128 Cass Ave
Westmont, IL 60559

Message originally posted by ryosnk on 04-19-2004 at 05:31 PM:

I'm going to be a dad! 10/02/07

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited 3/25/08 at 1:40am

last edit 8-21-08 5:12pm

Last edited by ryosnk; 09-12-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 09-25-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 10-01-2008 at 03:00 AM.
8/27/2010
GO WHITE SOX AND CUBBIES! Maybe next year!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bigsick']has anyone been to People Play Games? ive been wanting to go there. I might stop by on sunday if they're open.[/QUOTE]

I've been there a few times the past week. Amazing store. You'll probably bust a nut when you walk in.

[quote name='dfg']Stopped by People Play Games earlier. Wow, nostalgia city. Tons of old stuff (much more than current gen), and they buy too. I bought some ps2 guides (not the cheapest but excellent condition) and a PC game. The staff seemed quite knowledgeable but their filing system leaves a lot to be desired; it took about 5 minutes for them to find the CDs for my game. I mentioned CAG to them, for some reason.

edit: also, as I was waiting, I saw a framed newspaper article (Trib, I think) about PPG, and a sidebar listed other Chicagoland retro gaming stores, and the place on Harlem we know as VG Etc was listed as [SIZE=-1]Video Games Then And Now[/SIZE], and it's named that on Yelp, too, for some reason.[/QUOTE]

Where is this People Play Games store located?

I'll kill you all! =)

Yeah it is retro paradise. I'm thinking about stopping by to sell a Dreamcast I picked up cheap. I had considered bringing it to a meet-up to trade or whatnot, but the longer it sits, the more annoyed the missus gets.

[quote name='chicagoz']On Cicero just south of Irving Park Road/six corners. I think it's next to Mr. Submarine.[/QUOTE]

Oh snap!!! I remember seeing that storefront a few weeks ago when chi.bri and I were walking over to Gamestop (completely forgot about it since the play was empty at the time). I'll have to check the new place out soon.

That new Play-N-Trade on cicero is also doing the Buy-2-Get-1-Free on all used games until 4/30.

Anybody wanna hit the Admiral tonight?:lol:

1/2 off admission before 10pm.

[quote name='D_Icon']That new Play-N-Trade on cicero is also doing the Buy-2-Get-1-Free on all used games until 4/30.

1/2 off admission before 10pm.[/QUOTE]

I would If I was out that way. I may go to Polecatz with a few friends.

[quote name='WeaponX2099']I would If I was out that way. I may go to Polecatz with a few friends.[/QUOTE]

Awesome, have fun with them tts.

[quote name='D_Icon']That new Play-N-Trade on cicero is also doing the Buy-2-Get-1-Free on all used games until 4/30.

1/2 off admission before 10pm.[/QUOTE]

Hahaha...sounds like someone should organize a CAG strip club meet-up!

Kidding...

[quote name='chicagoz']Hahaha...sounds like someone should organize a CAG strip club meet-up!

Kidding...[/QUOTE]

My friend the reason we are cheap ass gamers is because we spend our hard earned money on other, much sexier, fun activites....

The Sony Style store at Woodfield is closing. All Blu-rays are buy 1 get 2 free. All PlayStation hardware and software is 30% off. They have several PSP Hannah Montana bundles, which would be $140, and the PSP Go would be $175.

[quote name='chicagoz']On Cicero just south of Irving Park Road/six corners. I think it's next to Mr. Submarine.[/QUOTE]

Heh, I drive around to go to work, I might have to check it out. Their used to be a video game store around their but it closed down like ten years ago. I got my sms 3d set for $80 their.

Thanks for the info.

I just posted it this in the main Deals thread but just to give everyone a heads up if interested

The HPB in Countryside, IL has some rarer PS1 RPG's.

Suikoden II $200
Valykrie Profile $90
Arc the Lad Collection $90

I picked up Lunar 2: Eternal Blue boxed edition for 43.xx which was marked for $90.

The 50% coupon is pretty damn good.

[quote name='chibamm']I just posted it this in the main Deals thread but just to give everyone a heads up if interested

The HPB in Countryside, IL has some rarer PS1 RPG's.

Suikoden II $200
Valykrie Profile $90
Arc the Lad Collection $90

I picked up Lunar 2: Eternal Blue boxed edition for 43.xx which was marked for $90.

The 50% coupon is pretty damn good.[/QUOTE]

What time were you there? I got Issues #1-20 for Buffy season eight comics. And they had 2 Suikodens in the case.

I was there around 4:00. I saw both, I think a walmart around here still has a few VP's somewhere. Both the Lunar and Arc the lad piss me off because when the Orland FYE went out of business, it was there for 8 bucks and didn't pick it up. I also bought 2 Lunar 2's, or clearance from target 10 years ago and traded one in.

Holy crap! I was there (Woodfield) on Friday too, but I never go in the Sony Style store.

Was it a CAG here that grabbed those complete Lunar Blue and Lunar Silver Story sets from the Countryside Half Price Books? I'd had my eye on them.

edit: Whoops, another page... I bought the Arc the Lad set. It was $60 before the 50% coupon. I was there around 8P, and the Suikoden 2s, Valkyrie Profile, and something else were still there. Thing's in great shape too; might have been a collector selling them off, but HPB gives crap trade-in value for most stuff.

Anyone still has that Kmart 10 of 20 coupon on hand?

Edit: I found it on Google image search of all places...

[quote name='chibamm']You think a Walmart still has some Lunar's hanging around somewhere?[/QUOTE]

Ha!:lol:

no. I thought i put the VP in the reply above. I didn't. Sorry.

[quote name='WeaponX2099']Ha!:lol:

no. I thought i put the VP in the reply above. I didn't. Sorry.[/QUOTE]

Even then, that's pretty impressive that a WM would have PS1 stuff lying around.

^Still flippable!

I stopped by the Sony Style store yesterday and for me the selection didn't justify the discount. Good luck to anyone else who checks it out.

The Play N Trade at Six Corners is officially the worst video game store I've ever been to... they actually sold moi a burnt copy of a game [which I did return after about 30 mins of drive-time to calm down from my shock-fueled rage]. Who knows, maybe I am the one fluke, but once is already a billion times too many to sell a burnt copy of a game.

I hope they go out of business very soon. Also, the reaction of the person who sold moi the copy when I returned it was either a bit of acting, or ignorance that shows the person should not have been working there in the first place. I am still in disbelief that it actually happened...

[quote name='Kush']The Play N Trade at Six Corners is officially the worst video game store I've ever been to... they actually sold moi a burnt copy of a game [which I did return after about 30 mins of drive-time to calm down from my shock-fueled rage]. Who knows, maybe I am the one fluke, but once is already a billion times too many to sell a burnt copy of a game.

I hope they go out of business very soon. Also, the reaction of the person who sold moi the copy when I returned it was either a bit of acting, or ignorance that shows the person should not have been working there in the first place. I am still in disbelief that it actually happened...[/QUOTE]

WOW, I guess they figure if Gamestop can be shady they can too!!!!! I've heard nothing but bad things about Play N Trade and I'm glad I've never gone into one!!!!!!

[quote name='Kush']The Play N Trade at Six Corners is officially the worst video game store I've ever been to... they actually sold moi a burnt copy of a game [which I did return after about 30 mins of drive-time to calm down from my shock-fueled rage]. Who knows, maybe I am the one fluke, but once is already a billion times too many to sell a burnt copy of a game.

I hope they go out of business very soon. Also, the reaction of the person who sold moi the copy when I returned it was either a bit of acting, or ignorance that shows the person should not have been working there in the first place. I am still in disbelief that it actually happened...[/QUOTE]

That's pretty horrendous. I'd have been a lot angrier and have taken it further by asking to talk with the manager to inquire about why the hell that would ever happen in the first place. Sorry to hear about that. Was it a used game or something?

That's bullshit. For what system was the game for? I would call MS,Sony, or Nintendo and tell them what happened if its for a newer system.

I do agree its total bullshit, and i would never go the 6 corners play n trade, however all of them don't operate like that so to judge one and say you wont go to another isn't really right.

They are all individually owned and operated. Whoever was running that pos store is to blame. You can't even use a discount card at one that you can at others, so its not like they're a chain like gamestop. I've been treated like shit at some gamestops and i refuse to go back (one being the one on harlem ave near a dennys, right past HIP.) but i still shop at a gamestop near me cause they treat me right.

It was Power Stone 2 for the DC [used]. I'm still in shock that it happened and want to do horrible things, but that is my Sicilian rage and I need to keep it down a tad.

On a happier note, I finally checked out the Half Price Books store in Countryside and was pleasantly surprised by their video game section. A pretty decent selection and the first HPBS I have seen with guides on clearance in a long time.

I live in Yorkville anyone live in Plano, Yorkville or Oswego

anyway id recummend Target don't go to the game cases look around the electronics look for there clerance Elecronices shelf got many game like Street fight IV Dead space F.E.A.R.2 and tun of other game i own from $15 down to $5.

[quote name='chibamm']You think a Walmart still has some Lunar's hanging around somewhere?[/QUOTE]

Today In Indiana at a Disc Replay, I saw 2 Lunar:SS with New Walmart stickers on them. You may have a slim chance.

Hey Chicago-ites, I'm planning a trip to Chicago for mid-July. Any suggestions on where to eat and what to do?

I am going because the Phillies are in town that weekend and I've always wanted to go to Wrigley. I'm also dying to try some of the highly-touted deep dish pizza.

What else should I do when I'm there? What are the can't miss food spots, attractions and bars?

^ Where will you be and what kind of transportation?

Pizza: For deep dish, Giordano's is the safest bet; fuck Uno's.

Check TimeOutChicago.com and Chicagoreader.com for events around that weekend, especially the week of/before.

Also, use Yelp for broader (i.e. mostly non-gamer) recommendations.

I'll have my car but live in Philadelphia so am very comfortable using public transportation. Haven't picked a hotel yet.

Thanks for the recommendations so far, will definitely check out Giordano's (and probably any other pizza places people recommend, haha.)

The PNT in Burbank has bootleg cases for RE5 (X360). I assume that they have bootleg discs as well.

The cases were totally bootleg (fake X360 logo at the top, printed on regular paper with regular printing ink)

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']Hey Chicago-ites, I'm planning a trip to Chicago for mid-July. Any suggestions on where to eat and what to do?

I am going because the Phillies are in town that weekend and I've always wanted to go to Wrigley. I'm also dying to try some of the highly-touted deep dish pizza.

What else should I do when I'm there? What are the can't miss food spots, attractions and bars?[/QUOTE]

my girlfriend works at a great pizza place called Lavilla. Its on the north side of chicago. Ginos East and Uno are also good choices.

Attractions that are good are any of the museums (science & industry, field, planetarium)

or if you're more into the bar scene, or just want a nice look at the lake, check out Navy Pier.

[quote name='Keo_san']I live in Yorkville anyone live in Plano, Yorkville or Oswego

anyway id recummend Target don't go to the game cases look around the electronics look for there clerance Elecronices shelf got many game like Street fight IV Dead space F.E.A.R.2 and tun of other game i own from $15 down to $5.[/QUOTE]

I live in the Oswego area, well right next to it actually in Montgomery.

My favorite for REAL Chicago pizza is Pequod's...
http://pequodspizza.com/

And then there this place...
http://www.chicagopizzaandovengrinder.com/

They have what is called a "pizza pot pie"!! And be sure to get the Mediterranean bread appetizer! You'll PM me and thank me for this later!!

For things to do... There's many options. A favorite of mine is the Second City Comedy Club. A lot of big names got their start there and they put on a great show! Also take a boat tour. I highly recommend the Wendella boats lake and river combo. Here's links to both these places....

http://www.secondcity.com/

http://www.wendellaboats.com/

Pequod's across from Webster Place? I've never been there but I still remember a freaky vandalized mannequin they had in their front window when I was in grade school. I'd thought it was like a skinhead bar or something.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']Thanks for the recommendations so far, will definitely check out Giordano's (and probably any other pizza places people recommend, haha.)[/QUOTE]

Lou Malnati's is a Chicago-style pizza chain in the vein of Uno's (if you don't care to wait in multi-hour lines downtown). Hopefully you won't be too far from one of its many area locations.

http://www.loumalnatis.com/

You could also try Philly's Best, just to see how far off our best attempts at Philly cheesesteaks are. ;)

http://www.imenu360.com/phillys/im360/map.htm

I could probably use some Philly recs for the next time I'm over there, but that could probably wait for another time (and thread). Hope you have fun in Chicago!

Hmmm....I've been told La Villa has great pizza but I haven't tried it yet. I guess I should now. And Pequod's (in my opinion) has fallen off. I remember the great caramelized crust but I also remember lots of cheese and meat on their pizzas. But the last 3 pizzas I got from Pequod's was almost all dough!

[quote name='chicagoz']Hmmm....I've been told La Villa has great pizza but I haven't tried it yet. I guess I should now. And Pequod's (in my opinion) has fallen off. I remember the great caramelized crust but I also remember lots of cheese and meat on their pizzas. But the last 3 pizzas I got from Pequod's was almost all dough![/QUOTE]

If you miss the Pequod's of old, perhaps you could check out Burt's Place in the 'burbs (8541 Ferris Ave. in Morton Grove) -- since Burt used to own Pequod's, as well as the Howard Street Gulliver's, after all.

http://www.lthforum.com/bb//viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6902

Apparently Burt's is closed for lunch Saturdays and Sundays, so calling ahead to the cozy Saveur-featured restaurant might be a good idea: (847) 965-7997.

http://www.centerstagechicago.com/restaurants/burtsplace.html

bread's done
Back