It took 108 years but this is finally home of the World Series champs Cubs!

ryosnk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Chicago's Very Own thread

9/11/ 2010 Meetup - at Galloping Ghost Arcade - Brookfield IL
top row:shieryda, CAG 79, ryosnk, slowdive21, mrosnwo, chi.bri
bottom row: Blackout, Ruben (ryosnk brother), dpac andWeaponX2099
chicagocags.jpg

Home of the 2013 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Home of the 2009-2010 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Hello, I am a Chicago guy so I would like to start a Chicago thread so maybe we can help each other out by letting Chicago area cheapasses find cheap deals.
:D

-Saturday, April 5 at 3PM Dunaly's on the Square 3137 W. Logan Blvd.-

7/31/2007
Would anyone be interested in a CAG Chicago meet up at game works (in woodfield)? They have a special for $10 on thursday for all you can play from 9 to midnight.

More info here: http://www.gameworks.com/events_deta...?location_id=6

HOME OF THE 2005 WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX
sox1.gif

20176977.jpg

Chicago member List (Now I know who gets my games :wink: j/k)

akilshohen
Apossum
Birbo
bobo2k4
Chickenhawk
Darkside Hazuki
Dpac
EdS25
FlipSide
Flybrione
Gameboy415
heffaji
JJAPPLE
jaykrue
jonnyfivealive
Johnny Postman
Jonny Polychronopoulos
Loserboy
mario23air
Maynard
Minqqq
peccosan
Prepster
Ragingbull2380
Rig
rly723
Rocksolidaudio (1up located in San Francisco)
ryosnk (Addison and austin)
SEGA128DC
SeraphiMichael
shadd01
shieryda (located near Six Corners)
Slipknot9762
souNReAL
Stoneage
tmei03
tqm11
Vicious
Walt Jay
Watchman
WeaponX2099
Wiseguy

Here are some little known stores in the Chicagoland area.

VideoGames Etc.
4351 N. Harlem
Norridge, IL 60706

Gamerz Garage
6128 Cass Ave
Westmont, IL 60559

Message originally posted by ryosnk on 04-19-2004 at 05:31 PM:

I'm going to be a dad! 10/02/07

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited 3/25/08 at 1:40am

last edit 8-21-08 5:12pm

Last edited by ryosnk; 09-12-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 09-25-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 10-01-2008 at 03:00 AM.
8/27/2010
GO WHITE SOX AND CUBBIES! Maybe next year!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dpac']Lou Malnati's is a Chicago-style pizza chain in the vein of Uno's (if you don't care to wait in multi-hour lines downtown). Hopefully you won't be too far from one of its many area locations.

http://www.loumalnatis.com/

You could also try Philly's Best, just to see how far off our best attempts at Philly cheesesteaks are. ;)

http://www.imenu360.com/phillys/im360/map.htm

I could probably use some Philly recs for the next time I'm over there, but that could probably wait for another time (and thread). Hope you have fun in Chicago![/QUOTE]

I second both of these. Malnati's is my favorite of the chain deep dish places (Giordano's isn't bad either) and Philly's Best makes some great steak subs - like dpac said, it'd be interesting to see how close they are to what you have back home. Nancy's is one of the best non-big name places for stuffed pizza.

I don't recommend Navy Pier at all - in my opinion it's just a waste of time. Crowded with lots of kids and overpriced stores. The view of the lake at the end of the pier is nice, but not worth the trip.

Someone suggested Second City - that's definitely worth checking out. Buy your tickets in advance, since they almost always sell out. I've enjoyed shows on the main and the second stage (ETC) so you're probably fine either way.

Tough to recommend a bar without knowing what kind of scene you're looking for. There are a *ton* of bars up around Wrigley Park, so you could always head up there on the train and bar hop. Wicker Park is a good area with a different type of crowd than Wrigleyville and is right on the Blue line. There are also a lot along Lincoln Ave near Depaul but that's not quite as convenient for public transportation. If you want more of an upscale place for craft beers, Paramount Room, Hopleaf, and the Map Room are all pretty nice.

If you want to do something a little more on the intellectual side, there are a lot of great museums down along the lake. Also the architectural tours are surprisingly interesting, even if that's not something you're usually into. They have walking tours around downtown ("The Loop") and also a nice boat tour along the river.

I'd prefer a mom and pop over a chain pizza place.

What is the Navy Pier? Just like a strip mall on a pier?

It's hard for me to describe the kinds of bars into without just referencing ones I've been to in Philly or NYC. Somewhere with mostly craft brews but also domestics. I drink the craft brews but find that if they stock domestics, the place isn't as snobby / pretentious. lol.

I'm going to look into the musuems as well. All I know for sure is that we are going to 2 Phillies games at Wrigley.

With the exception of Uno's, even the "big" chain places around here usually only have a handful of locations. I agree, I prefer the smaller ones myself. I still like Nancy's the best for stuffed, and that's not too far south of Wrigley (10-15 min walk). Pequod's is good too, although I haven't been there for a couple years.

Navy Pier is a lot more touristy than a strip mall. They have a ferris wheel and a movie theater and a stained glass museum and random stuff like that. It's an interesting idea I guess but doesn't do much for me. The only reason I ever go there is it has the closest IMAX screen.

Haha yeah I hear you - I like good beers but can do without the snobbery that sometimes comes with it. Actually if you'll be up in Wrigleyville you can check out the Goose Island brewpub. That's the biggest local brewery in Chicago, and they brew some pretty decent beer. Other good local ones to check out are Bells, Two Brothers and Three Floyds.

Lou Malnati's for pizza. They are a chain, but they are the best!

If you like different types of beer, I could also recommend the Hopleaf. No kids allowed, but you may want to wear something better than a t-shirt and jeans. I always take beer lovers there.

If you are catching a show at the Metro, I would spend time in the Gingerman Tavern, since it is one of the few non-cubs themed bars in Wrigleyville.

The Full Shilling is a few doors down and they have cheap food on non-cubs game days. I would eat there and drink at the gingerman, then catch a show @ the metro.

If you prefer more of an 'indie' feel with cheap beer, you could go to the underground lounge...But they are pretty dead if there is not a show that night.

The Liar's Club is an experience if you like mingling with all types of people. I haven't been there for a while though, so it may be different now.

I'm a chef of 12 years here in the city. Pequads is one of the BEST pizzas you will findhere. The carmelized cheese crust and super fresh topping are amazing. My other favorite is a place called "The Art of Pizza" BEST sauce in the city!!! Those are 2 independent places that I love.

Geno's East and Lou Malnati's are a little more "classic" chicago pizza and both great.

Since I am a punk rocker at heart my bars of choice are: Cobra Lounge, Delilah's, The Liar's Club, EXIT, and Holiday Club. The L&L tavern is my favorite dive bar a few blocks from wrigley.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']Hey Chicago-ites, I'm planning a trip to Chicago for mid-July. Any suggestions on where to eat and what to do?

I am going because the Phillies are in town that weekend and I've always wanted to go to Wrigley. I'm also dying to try some of the highly-touted deep dish pizza.

What else should I do when I'm there? What are the can't miss food spots, attractions and bars?[/QUOTE]

There should be some good festivals going on if you're here over a weekend. PM some of us (or me, at least) if you want to meet up and hang out for a couple beers.

[quote name='shieryda']There should be some good festivals going on if you're here over a weekend. PM some of us (or me, at least) if you want to meet up and hang out for a couple beers.[/QUOTE]

Good call about the festivals, there's always something cool going on in Chicago on the weekends. Checking the Cubs schedule, the Phillies are in town the weekend of July 16-18. Not sure if that's the weekend you'll be here but there are a couple of fun things going on then. The Pitchfork Music Festival is that weekend - they have a lot of great bands and are generally much cheaper than Lollapalooza. That's also the weekend for the Chicago Ribfest which is pretty fun (if you like ribs).

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']Hey Chicago-ites, I'm planning a trip to Chicago for mid-July. Any suggestions on where to eat and what to do?

I am going because the Phillies are in town that weekend and I've always wanted to go to Wrigley. I'm also dying to try some of the highly-touted deep dish pizza.

What else should I do when I'm there? What are the can't miss food spots, attractions and bars?[/QUOTE]
I would skip the pizza completely, it blows, especially Gino's East. You need to visit Millenium Park and then go to the Hancock Tower, but go to the bar at the top, not the observation deck. The view is just as good and you can buy a drink instead of pay for admission. At the base of the tower there is a great Italian coffee shop where you can grab dessert too. Science and Industry museum is the funnest one - skip the Adler Planetarium, so boring. You can likely get into the Shedd Aquarium if you just tell them your zip code is 60657 etc for a reduced rate for city residents. As for food, people rave about Portillo's italian beef, but I have never had it . . . hope that helps.

[quote name='KevinMassacre']
Since I am a punk rocker at heart my bars of choice are: Cobra Lounge, Delilah's, The Liar's Club, EXIT, and Holiday Club. The L&L tavern is my favorite dive bar a few blocks from wrigley.[/QUOTE]

I would 2nd most of these. I can never remember the names of bars, but the L&L is a great dive bar.

I am not familiar with the holiday club though.

I would point out EXIT is a "punk rock" / dominatrix bar, but it is pretty tame. I describe it as Punk Rock, Disney style. One of my exes works as a Dominatrix there.

[quote name='slowdive21']I would 2nd most of these. I can never remember the names of bars, but the L&L is a great dive bar.

I am not familiar with the holiday club though.

I would point out EXIT is a "punk rock" / dominatrix bar, but it is pretty tame. I describe it as Punk Rock, Disney style. One of my exes works as a Dominatrix there.[/QUOTE]

Haven't been to L&L before but after looking it up it sounds pretty great. I live pretty close to there but most of the bars in the area aren't really my scene - it's cool to know there's a solid dive bar nearby. Thanks for the recommendation!

[quote name='mikefust']I would skip the pizza completely, it blows, especially Gino's East. You need to visit Millenium Park and then go to the Hancock Tower, but go to the bar at the top, not the observation deck. The view is just as good and you can buy a drink instead of pay for admission. At the base of the tower there is a great Italian coffee shop where you can grab dessert too. Science and Industry museum is the funnest one - skip the Adler Planetarium, so boring. You can likely get into the Shedd Aquarium if you just tell them your zip code is 60657 etc for a reduced rate for city residents. As for food, people rave about Portillo's italian beef, but I have never had it . . . hope that helps.[/QUOTE]

I would hope you are joking, as chicago has some of the best pizza in the US. And the planetarium isn't boring, especially for people into astronomy. That can be said for any attraction if the person isn't into it.

Also, there is nothing special about portillos. I'm an hour away from the city and there are 2-3 in a 10 minute radius from me. They are just a roast beef chain. You could get almost the same quality at arbys.

[quote name='bigsick']I would hope you are joking, as chicago has some of the best pizza in the US. And the planetarium isn't boring, especially for people into astronomy. That can be said for any attraction if the person isn't into it.

Also, there is nothing special about portillos. I'm an hour away from the city and there are 2-3 in a 10 minute radius from me. They are just a roast beef chain. You could get almost the same quality at arbys.[/QUOTE]

The Museum of Science and Industry probably has a much greater variety of attractions (er, exhibits) that will probably intrigue a greater number of people than other standalone institutions like the Field Museum or Planetarium; it seems to also be much larger, so prepare to do a lot of walking there. For what it's worth, the MSI would be my first choice of educational places to bring young visitors to the area, though others might find the Lincoln Park Zoo or Shedd Aquarium (especially considering the latter's separate-fee dolphin show) better for live animals and the Art Institute vastly superior for famous paintings. For mainly entertainment purposes, Navy Pier's one of the biggest tourist attractions in the state; just be prepared to pay even more for parking.

As for Portillo's, it's actually a decent purveyor of that Chicago original, the Italian beef (preferrably dipped and topped with spicy giardiniera). There are smaller, more independent places to find better beefs in the area -- read: Johnnie's -- but Portillo's does a good enough job if you're not willing to drive down North Avenue or Arlington Heights Road just to get yer wet fix. If you just want shaved roast beef (with or without cheddar cheese and sauce), Arby's will do in a pinch, but I can't say I've ever had an Italian beef there.

[quote name='mikefust']I would skip the pizza completely, it blows, especially Gino's East. You need to visit Millenium Park and then go to the Hancock Tower, but go to the bar at the top, not the observation deck. The view is just as good and you can buy a drink instead of pay for admission. At the base of the tower there is a great Italian coffee shop where you can grab dessert too. Science and Industry museum is the funnest one - skip the Adler Planetarium, so boring. You can likely get into the Shedd Aquarium if you just tell them your zip code is 60657 etc for a reduced rate for city residents. As for food, people rave about Portillo's italian beef, but I have never had it . . . hope that helps.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

constructive edit: I was at the MSI on Good Friday with my wife and daughter for the first time in about, oh, 20 years. I'm not sure when the current exhibits are done, but the interactivity of exhibits has come a long way since then, and some of the permanent ones are still interesting (although yet again I missed the coal mine). The weather exhibit is pretty spiffy, and the You! one as well. The Toy Factory is a dud, however.

I'm more looking for pizza but I will check out some italian beef. I have Arby's in my area so I'm not interested in that, I'd be more interested in an independent spot.

Thanks for the bar recommendations, they are appreciated.

I will probably check the Science and Industry museum. Although I enjoy aquarium's quite a bit, I feel spoiled with going to the Baltimore Aquarium often. To anyone who has been to both, how do they compare? I just often here that Baltimore's is one of the finest in the country.

Is there such thing as free parking in Chicago? What are the chances of me finding somewhere to leave my car for the weekend?

[quote name='dfg']:lol:

constructive edit: I was at the MSI on Good Friday with my wife and daughter for the first time in about, oh, 20 years. I'm not sure when the current exhibits are done, but the interactivity of exhibits has come a long way since then, and some of the permanent ones are still interesting (although yet again I missed the coal mine). The weather exhibit is pretty spiffy, and the You! one as well. The Toy Factory is a dud, however.[/QUOTE]

I've heard that the MSI is especially busy on popular field-trip days and when kids are typically off from school (like spring break). As for me, it's been about five years since I've been there with a nephew or two, back when that Game On exhibit on the history of video games was wrapping up around here. I actually went on the coal-mine ride then, though I believe there was a separate ticket fee and wait for that exhibit as well. If you're feeling especially in a spending mood, tack on an IMAX ticket for one of their immersive (and possibly 3-D) shows, which are usually shorter but occasionally include the latest box-office craze. The good thing about the MSI's IMAX screen is that it wraps around you in a circular shape that's a lot closer than most flat IMAX theaters. Just know that you gotta ride from downtown to the South Side via Lake Shore Drive (close to the University of Chicago) if you wanna visit. At least the lake shore's a fairly scenic way to get there.

Yeah, if you go to MSI, be prepared for separate charges for different (but not all) exhibits, such as the U505 sub, the Green (wired) house, and IMAX (natch). I couldn't convince my girls to go to IMAX, and it might be just as well, as I still remember in grade school the opening test-reel-thingy giving me massive vertigo. But, yeah, MSI is south siiiiiide, but the good part—Obama's house!

As far as parking goes, yeah if you're in the city, you will most likely be SOL unless you can score a temporary parking permit from a resident. Beg, borrow, steal.

I've actually been to Baltimore's aquarium—got into, but didn't go to Hopkins—but it's been so long since I've been to either I can't remember enough to compare. I do remember buying an awesome Soundgarden t-shirt that I still have at a harborfront shop though!

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']
Is there such thing as free parking in Chicago? What are the chances of me finding somewhere to leave my car for the weekend?[/QUOTE]

Your only hope is if there is a CAG that lives in the city would have an extra parking spot and be willing to share it. I live in the far southwest suburbs so it would probably be a huge inconvinece. What hotel are you staying at?

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']Wait.. what? Parking permits? That's so bizarre. Philly and NYC don't have those. So there is no street parking without a permit?[/QUOTE]

Depends a bit on the neighborhood and the time and day, but a lot of city requires permits yeah. That's especially true up by Wrigley on game days - definitely do not try to drive to the ballpark.

The good news is that the public transportation is really pretty decent. You might just want to find a hotel that offers free/cheap parking and stash your car there for the weekend and just use the El to get wherever you need to go.

Yeah I don't plan on driving around in the city at all once I get there. I know how much of a PITA city driving is. I was just going to get a hotel on price-line or something. Guess this is just an extra step to plan.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']Yeah I don't plan on driving around in the city at all once I get there. I know how much of a PITA city driving is. I was just going to get a hotel on price-line or something. Guess this is just an extra step to plan.[/QUOTE]

Is your trip going to be soon? I know a lot of the museums offer free days

The next free days for the Museum of Science & Industry is April 19-23. I already have my schedule set and am taking a trip there the 19th.

[quote name='dpac']As for Portillo's, it's actually a decent purveyor of that Chicago original, the Italian beef (preferrably dipped and topped with spicy giardiniera). There are smaller, more independent places to find better beefs in the area -- read: Johnnie's -- but Portillo's does a good enough job if you're not willing to drive down North Avenue or Arlington Heights Road just to get yer wet fix.[/QUOTE]

Indeed.

Hey everyone. The Sears clearance thread has me seriously tcosidering going into a Sears for the first time in a while. Has anyone been to the one in downtown Chicago on State street? Do they have clearance games?

Ok, little off topic, anyone know of any music stores in the Chicagoland area? I'm looking to buy a keyboard/synth/workstation and looking for either a local store or chain that is reasonable with pricing. Or even any place that sells used music equipment?

[quote name='chibamm']Ok, little off topic, anyone know of any music stores in the Chicagoland area? I'm looking to buy a keyboard/synth/workstation and looking for either a local store or chain that is reasonable with pricing. Or even any place that sells used music equipment?[/QUOTE]

Midwest Buy & Sell is one of my favorite used gear shops ever. Not sure how they are with synth stuff, but definitely worth a trip.

6019 West Irving Park Road
Chicago, IL 60634-2521
(773) 545-2020

[quote name='D_Icon']So, what are peoples thoughts on the South Side? I'm talking Red Line to 95th/Dan_Ryan. On 119th street[/QUOTE]

Where in the Wild 100s are you going?

[quote name='D_Icon']So, what are peoples thoughts on the South Side? I'm talking Red Line to 95th/Dan_Ryan. On 119th street[/QUOTE]

Some parts good, some parts bad.

Anyone here in Chicago area with Street Fighter IV? I need someone to do the hard trials for me and I will pay $1 for each trial completed. There are 18 trials left to do. I seriously tried my damned hardest but I just cannot do it, the frustration and time is not worth it.

You're talking about a pretty broad area there. 95th and the Dan Ryan can get pretty hairy. 119th and I57 is different area all together, I believe that is still Merionnnete Park which is kind of like Blue Island area if you're familiar with it. Are you looking at a specific area or something? Intersection? Storefront?

[quote name='JAlbertL']Hey everyone. The Sears clearance thread has me seriously tcosidering going into a Sears for the first time in a while. Has anyone been to the one in downtown Chicago on State street? Do they have clearance games?[/QUOTE]

I've had some luck finding deals there a couple of times, but more times than not the best deals get scooped up by tourists (especially during the summer) at that location.

Just a heads up. The Blockbuster at Irving Park and kimball has 2 copies of beatles rock band for ps3 and one for xbox 360 if anyone is interested during the B1G1, it gets 9$ at gamestop for the trade.

[quote name='Happyn3ss']There's a lot
of good game stores (best buy, gamestop, target) in countryside.[/QUOTE]

In every burb there's a Best Buy, Target, and Gamestop. Hell, I think there's like 6 Gamestops within a 15 minute radius of my house.

I just came back from Gamestop for Super SF4. I was surprised that so many Gamestops had a midnight release and that there were at least 20 people that came out to get their copy at midnight.

[quote name='chibamm']In every burb there's a Best Buy, Target, and Gamestop. Hell, I think there's like 6 Gamestops within a 15 minute radius of my house.[/QUOTE]

In a 5 mile area from my house, there are 2 Targets, 2 Best Buys, 3 Sears, a Toys R Us, a Tiger Direct, and 5 Gamestops.:booty:

[quote name='Josh5890']In a 5 mile area from my house, there are 2 Targets, 2 Best Buys, 3 Sears, a Toys R Us, a Tiger Direct, and 5 Gamestops.:booty:[/QUOTE]

What 3 Sears? Orland, Joilet maybe?

[quote name='WeaponX2099']What 3 Sears? Orland, Joilet maybe?[/QUOTE]

Orland, Homer Glen, and Joliet. But Joliet is actually more than 5 miles away LOL. Probably around 15 or so.

[quote name='Josh5890']Orland, Homer Glen, and Joliet. But Joliet is actually more than 5 miles away LOL. Probably around 15 or so.[/QUOTE]

I didnt know that Sears existed.

I'm entering the home stretch of my school semester. I'm considering a big get together to celebrate at my place. I'm thinking sometime in late May...maybe May 29th. I'm in Niles, not far from the yellow line and blue line. Just trying to get an early idea of what kind of interest there would be. I have a 32-inch and 50-inch HDtv's. I could get a hold of 2 PS3's. I have a good amount of room.
What do you guys think? I know it's not the best location, but it's not bad. Maybe we can all bring games to swap if ya'll want. I have some other ideas, too.
Anyway, let me know if you are interested.

I'll try to update my tradelist by then so I can post it and if anyone local wants to trade/buy we can save on shipping, if not gas, costs.

[quote name='D_Icon']I'm in for the PS3 party. Maybe hire strippers too??
I kid, unless we split the cost
[/QUOTE]

That sounds even better.

bread's done
Back