It took 108 years but this is finally home of the World Series champs Cubs!

ryosnk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Chicago's Very Own thread

9/11/ 2010 Meetup - at Galloping Ghost Arcade - Brookfield IL
top row:shieryda, CAG 79, ryosnk, slowdive21, mrosnwo, chi.bri
bottom row: Blackout, Ruben (ryosnk brother), dpac andWeaponX2099
chicagocags.jpg

Home of the 2013 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Home of the 2009-2010 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Hello, I am a Chicago guy so I would like to start a Chicago thread so maybe we can help each other out by letting Chicago area cheapasses find cheap deals.
:D

-Saturday, April 5 at 3PM Dunaly's on the Square 3137 W. Logan Blvd.-

7/31/2007
Would anyone be interested in a CAG Chicago meet up at game works (in woodfield)? They have a special for $10 on thursday for all you can play from 9 to midnight.

More info here: http://www.gameworks.com/events_deta...?location_id=6

HOME OF THE 2005 WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX
sox1.gif

20176977.jpg

Chicago member List (Now I know who gets my games :wink: j/k)

akilshohen
Apossum
Birbo
bobo2k4
Chickenhawk
Darkside Hazuki
Dpac
EdS25
FlipSide
Flybrione
Gameboy415
heffaji
JJAPPLE
jaykrue
jonnyfivealive
Johnny Postman
Jonny Polychronopoulos
Loserboy
mario23air
Maynard
Minqqq
peccosan
Prepster
Ragingbull2380
Rig
rly723
Rocksolidaudio (1up located in San Francisco)
ryosnk (Addison and austin)
SEGA128DC
SeraphiMichael
shadd01
shieryda (located near Six Corners)
Slipknot9762
souNReAL
Stoneage
tmei03
tqm11
Vicious
Walt Jay
Watchman
WeaponX2099
Wiseguy

Here are some little known stores in the Chicagoland area.

VideoGames Etc.
4351 N. Harlem
Norridge, IL 60706

Gamerz Garage
6128 Cass Ave
Westmont, IL 60559

Message originally posted by ryosnk on 04-19-2004 at 05:31 PM:

I'm going to be a dad! 10/02/07

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited 3/25/08 at 1:40am

last edit 8-21-08 5:12pm

Last edited by ryosnk; 09-12-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 09-25-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 10-01-2008 at 03:00 AM.
8/27/2010
GO WHITE SOX AND CUBBIES! Maybe next year!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ryosnk']Go white sox! [/QUOTE]

[quote name='WeaponX2099']yeah!!![/QUOTE]

X3...Of course they won the series AFTER my 8 years of buying season tickets.

There was a story on 848 (NPR) about the 25th anniversary today and I got so nostalgic I came home and looked for a video or DVD about the '85 season. Can't find exactly what I'm looking for. Anybody know of something good?

[quote name='nddave']I would be available that Sunday Nov 28. if possible. Not in anyway trying to make it that date but i would be willing/available to meet up Sunday.[/QUOTE]

I concur. I think this would be a good date, too. That place in Evanston sounds pretty good to me. I'm not far from there, either. Otherwise, I'm up for just about anything. I like that it's shortly after Black Friday.

Okay we're getting closer now. Nov 27-28 or Dec 4-5, any of those days sound cool to me. Whichever one gets the biggest crowd. Bat17 sounds like a cool place to go and have a few beers, but doesn't lend itself to a long-ish type of meetup. Prices are sorta high for some cheapasses too. It depends what you guys are in the mood for. A meet/greet/swap hour or two, or the same plus play games for another 1-10 hours, as long as you want to stay. Plus if you want food you can leave and get free re-entry at Galloping Ghost, with a Mcdonalds, Burger King, pizza places, bars, and more a few blocks away. Or someone suggest more places too. I'm pretty much up for anything I guess. I'll also offer that I live in the Wrigleyville area and would be willing to carpool/pick-up anyone on the way who couldn't make it otherwise. Just expect to stay awhile if it's indeed GG, cause I like to get my money's worth.

I vote for the arcade again. Should be a good time to go because people should have a lot of BF stuff to trade.

The arcade would be fine with me.

I have been working on my "Games Organization Project of 2010", so I have been sorting through all my GS finds as well as boxes of games I forgot I bought.

Friday at 6 pm the tv show 190N will be filming a feature on galloping ghost arcade. I'll be in Naperville during the day and will be tempted to stop in there since it's on my way home. Holding tournaments that day too. If anyone is interested, maybe I'lll see you there.

[quote name='mrosnwo']Friday at 6 pm the tv show 190N will be filming a feature on galloping ghost arcade. I'll be in Naperville during the day and will be tempted to stop in there since it's on my way home. Holding tournaments that day too. If anyone is interested, maybe I'lll see you there.[/QUOTE]

Try to get on TV repping CAG somehow.

I did end up swinging by the arcade for a few hours today. The 190N episode is airing Sunday the 21st I believe. I'm pretty sure it airs in the morning and again late at night, but I haven't checked it out in awhile. Was kinda hoping Doug Banks would be there so I could meet him, but nope, I didn't recognize any kind of hosts. The camera crew hung around for hours fliming people playing the machines. I was filmed at some point playing Ms. Pac-Man and I'm sure at other times in the background or behind my back unknowingly. Should be interesting to see what makes the show and what gets edited off. One of the actors from the Mortal Kombat games was there too and they had an MKII tournament going on which he was there to watch. Cool stuff. I wish I had some kind of slick CAG merchandise like a t-shirt of something to pimp the site, but alas, I was unsure how to do it. I guess I could've made a sign and held it up behind an interview but I didn't want to come off like one of those obnoxious ass clowns either. Anyway, always a fun time and look forward to going back again.

Twice this month I've seen people with barcode scanner accessories at thrift stores. I feel like I'm missing out.

[quote name='dfg']Twice this month I've seen people with barcode scanner accessories at thrift stores. I feel like I'm missing out.[/QUOTE]

They are everywhere. I looked into it in 2002 or 2003 (and again recently), but most of the services charge too much.

It is better to know your craft.

The Borders downtown on State Street is closing. Everything in the store is at 20% right now. I talked to someone who worked there and they said the store should be closed the first week of January. It's a great time to get some books because they have a ton of stuff there. Once it hits 50-60% it's going to be great.

[quote name='Blackout']The Borders downtown on State Street is closing. Everything in the store is at 20% right now. I talked to someone who worked there and they said the store should be closed the first week of January. It's a great time to get some books because they have a ton of stuff there. Once it hits 50-60% it's going to be great.[/QUOTE]

Holy crap!!! Every time I'm walking downtown It seems like they are packed. I'm heading downtown back in a few weeks. Will definately have to check it out. Thanks for the heads up.

[quote name='Blackout']The Borders downtown on State Street is closing. Everything in the store is at 20% right now. I talked to someone who worked there and they said the store should be closed the first week of January. It's a great time to get some books because they have a ton of stuff there. Once it hits 50-60% it's going to be great.[/QUOTE]

That's a odd Borders to close. Its in the middle of everything.

[quote name='WeaponX2099']That's a odd Borders to close. Its in the middle of everything.[/QUOTE]

I know. I'm in there every week before class and it's always packed. I guess no one actually buys anything though. I can't blame them. Borders wouldn't be going out of business if they didn't charge such a ridiculous amount for their books.

[quote name='Blackout']I know. I'm in there every week before class and it's always packed. I guess no one actually buys anything though. I can't blame them. Borders wouldn't be going out of business if they didn't charge such a ridiculous amount for their books.[/QUOTE]

People know that they have weekly coupons for 20-40 percent.

Random, but does anybody need the Bioshock 2 Limited Edition for Xbox? I grabbed it like three months ago from Target on clearance and it's still in the package. Did the buy-and-think-about-it, but it's been over three months now so I can't return it and I decided I dont really want it after all.

If nobody else bites, I guess I could try to return it without receipt for credit, right?

@itchyeyeball, perfect thing to bring with to a swap/meet-up, which I've kinda been bugging everyone to do. I've got the game itself, but for the right price I'd almost be interested in it. If you try and return it, just keep in mind that if the price dropped in their system since you bought it, they'll only give you the lowest price they sold it for, since they can't track what you actually paid without a receipt.

@bigsick, I'd like to. Black Friday weekend is gonna be a crazy time for dedicated CAGs, and it's a great time to have a swap right after it. If not that weekend, maybe the first weekend of December would be cool too.

If people want to commit to a date, I could set something up for the group at Galloping Ghost Arcade again. Just need to lock a date down, then start locking down names for people who are definately in. If anyone wants to get an idea of what this arcade is all about who didn't attend last time, tonight is the night to do it. 190N on ABC is running their feature on the place tonight at 10:35p.m. Check it out or set your DVRs. Don't know how long it will be(probably only like 5 minutes), or what it will entail but the camera crew was there for hours. If you can't watch it live they're gonna have video of it up on their facebook page here.. http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=312550418372

I paid 35 plus tax. If you want it how about 35 even? The outer sleeve is beat, but it's still sealed inside.

Otherwise, anyone got any tasty trades?

Any Chicago CAGs looking for one of the 2TB hard drives at Target, or the 1TB portable one, go to the Addison store. After striking out at a couple of stores this morning I hit the jackpot. 2 full endcaps at 5pm. They must've had a hundred of them easy. This company's distribution methods are baffling. Store in Evanston today had 0 and the guy told me they were gone by 4:15am, as they only had a handful. Also grabbed an Endless Ocean Blue World for 7.48 but it was the only copy I saw.

[quote name='mrosnwo']Any Chicago CAGs looking for one of the 2TB hard drives at Target, or the 1TB portable one, go to the Addison store. After striking out at a couple of stores this morning I hit the jackpot. 2 full endcaps at 5pm. They must've had a hundred of them easy. This company's distribution methods are baffling. Store in Evanston today had 0 and the guy told me they were gone by 4:15am, as they only had a handful. Also grabbed an Endless Ocean Blue World for 7.48 but it was the only copy I saw.[/QUOTE]

Damn, I don't get paid until Friday and I'm sure that the price will go back up by then. :cry:
I'm still looking for a copy of Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 but haven't had any luck.

Glad someone else got the thread going again. I was going to post something the other day.
I've been meaning to check out a BBV by my school but 1.) fucking homework 2.) This snow is really cramping my style. I agree, though, about the snow being cool for oooooh, another month.
There's been some pretty good deals lately, but nothing too crazy on games I've been dying to play. Now that I'm a broke student I look for deals on Goozex more than anywhere else. Got Medal of Honor coming in the mail soon. Is it as bad as they say?
Yes, I'm bored.

I'm planning on visiting the Galloping Ghost next Saturday, sometime after noon, if anyone else wants to hang out.

I don't have anything to trade, though.

[quote name='shieryda']I'm planning on visiting the Galloping Ghost next Saturday, sometime after noon, if anyone else wants to hang out.

I don't have anything to trade, though.[/QUOTE]

I just checked FB and Doc said Killer Instinct is up. Saturday would work for me.

Did you guys ever get together for the December 4th meet up?

I've only been the one time. I'm bringing a co-worker and his 17-year-old son next weekend. I don't think the boy has ever been to a real arcade before. Plus, I'm excited to play some new games that may not have been working last time.

I actually went about 2 weeks ago with a friend of mine and set the house record on Super Puzzle Fighter :) My friend starting playing Killer Instinct like it was '95 again, but unfortunately it all slipped away from me with that game. Still love that soundtrack though. I'm always down to go, so if you guys will be there I'll try and swing by. Unemployment brings with it boredom, plus I just love the place. BF I scored a decent haul for myself, but missed out on anything really great to trade. Was hoping to land some LOTR Trilogies, but couldn't get it to work out.

[quote name='ryosnk']Illinois taxes on amazon.

http://mobile.chicagoist.com/2010/12/14/illinois_to_online_shoppers_um_you.php[/QUOTE]

Yeah, well, this ain't happening Quinn, you jackass. Like a couple million people are gonna say "here's all the money I owe in taxes for the past 6 years". I'm pretty sure I don't even HAVE enough money to pay taxes on everything from 2004 to now, especially the way this city rapes us on tax as it is. What I'm not getting from this is if tax is gonna get charged on Amazon going forward after Jan 1 for Illinois residents. If so, that's gonna suck. Thanks for the post anyway, it's both funny and infuriating at the same time.

bread's done
Back