It took 108 years but this is finally home of the World Series champs Cubs!

ryosnk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Chicago's Very Own thread

9/11/ 2010 Meetup - at Galloping Ghost Arcade - Brookfield IL
top row:shieryda, CAG 79, ryosnk, slowdive21, mrosnwo, chi.bri
bottom row: Blackout, Ruben (ryosnk brother), dpac andWeaponX2099
chicagocags.jpg

Home of the 2013 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Home of the 2009-2010 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Hello, I am a Chicago guy so I would like to start a Chicago thread so maybe we can help each other out by letting Chicago area cheapasses find cheap deals.
:D

-Saturday, April 5 at 3PM Dunaly's on the Square 3137 W. Logan Blvd.-

7/31/2007
Would anyone be interested in a CAG Chicago meet up at game works (in woodfield)? They have a special for $10 on thursday for all you can play from 9 to midnight.

More info here: http://www.gameworks.com/events_deta...?location_id=6

HOME OF THE 2005 WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX
sox1.gif

20176977.jpg

Chicago member List (Now I know who gets my games :wink: j/k)

akilshohen
Apossum
Birbo
bobo2k4
Chickenhawk
Darkside Hazuki
Dpac
EdS25
FlipSide
Flybrione
Gameboy415
heffaji
JJAPPLE
jaykrue
jonnyfivealive
Johnny Postman
Jonny Polychronopoulos
Loserboy
mario23air
Maynard
Minqqq
peccosan
Prepster
Ragingbull2380
Rig
rly723
Rocksolidaudio (1up located in San Francisco)
ryosnk (Addison and austin)
SEGA128DC
SeraphiMichael
shadd01
shieryda (located near Six Corners)
Slipknot9762
souNReAL
Stoneage
tmei03
tqm11
Vicious
Walt Jay
Watchman
WeaponX2099
Wiseguy

Here are some little known stores in the Chicagoland area.

VideoGames Etc.
4351 N. Harlem
Norridge, IL 60706

Gamerz Garage
6128 Cass Ave
Westmont, IL 60559

Message originally posted by ryosnk on 04-19-2004 at 05:31 PM:

I'm going to be a dad! 10/02/07

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited 3/25/08 at 1:40am

last edit 8-21-08 5:12pm

Last edited by ryosnk; 09-12-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 09-25-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 10-01-2008 at 03:00 AM.
8/27/2010
GO WHITE SOX AND CUBBIES! Maybe next year!

Last edited by a moderator:
As the article says, I would not worry about it unless you have made thousand + dollar orders. More than likely very few people will be approached about this. Instead of enforcing internet sales tax, they should tax/increase rates on things/persons which are loaded, idiotic, or those things which can be proven as having a detrimental affect on society. Alcohol, people making huge amounts of money per year (This especially), tanning salons (yay, I want skin cancer), and gun sales are a few things I would not mind being taxed or taxed at a higher rate.

[quote name='shieryda']Make it a quadruple blow. It's a party now![/QUOTE]

Scareface1.jpg

If you guys are still thinking of going to Galloping Ghost this Saturday, there will be tournaments that night at 8pm for both Killer Instinct and Super Street Fighter 4, if anyone is interested. Prizes to the winners.

[quote name='mrosnwo']If you guys are still thinking of going to Galloping Ghost this Saturday, there will be tournaments that night at 8pm for both Killer Instinct and Super Street Fighter 4, if anyone is interested. Prizes to the winners.[/QUOTE]

Man I wish I still knew the KI moves. It uses a Street Fighter pattern doesn't it? If the weather holds out, I will try to make it.

[quote name='slowdive21']Man I wish I still knew the KI moves. It uses a Street Fighter pattern doesn't it? If the weather holds out, I will try to make it.[/QUOTE]

Practice on the KI2 machine before hand. It has the regular super moves(non-ultras and finishes) printed on the cabinet, and most of the fighters shared the same moves from game to game. It does use most of the SF moves. I hadn't played it in 10 years myself until I went to the arcade last time, but after a game or two, I was able to land some 6-7 hit combos easy. I guess that's small by KI standards, but it was still effective. What's the worst that happens by entering? You lose? So what, you expect to. I'm pondering entering both if I can make it, just to do it, and you never know, maybe I'll get lucky(more likely on SF4).

[quote name='mrosnwo']Practice on the KI2 machine before hand. It has the regular super moves(non-ultras and finishes) printed on the cabinet, and most of the fighters shared the same moves from game to game. It does use most of the SF moves. I hadn't played it in 10 years myself until I went to the arcade last time, but after a game or two, I was able to land some 6-7 hit combos easy. I guess that's small by KI standards, but it was still effective. What's the worst that happens by entering? You lose? So what, you expect to. I'm pondering entering both if I can make it, just to do it, and you never know, maybe I'll get lucky(more likely on SF4).[/QUOTE]

I'm more worried about the roads! Hopefully we will not get any snow. Do they charge for the tournaments? Have you been getting the $10 cag rate or has Doc been charging you full price?

I've been paying $15 but Doc knows me when I walk in the door now. He shook my hand when I entered to greet me, and even made a point to come and find me to say he was leaving early last time. I've friended him on facebook as well, and I said I'd let him know if we got a good group together. He says the $10 thing will be in effect if we had a group, and he wanted to devise a way for us to all get permanent $10 but he has to work it thru his partner and he doesn't know how to enforce it quite yet. In a way I don't mind paying, to help support the place, because these guys are really truly good, and go out of their way to give me the best experience possible when I go.

The tournaments are all free. I was there for an MKII tournament on the 190N taping night, and it was free, and this one is advertised as free on their facebook page as well. Really laid back and friendly as well. There were some good players there, but not cocky assholes who talked alot of crap. There were some very very noobish players in it, but they still made it fun for them to enter.

Finally, on the Best Buy thing, that shit sucks. I've been a premier silver since 2008, and I'm good till Feb 2012 on it too, and I haven't received any free cert. I shop there a few times a month, and get all my big purchases there, usually like 1 thing a year that puts me over the top to qualify(thanks to the credit card/no financing for 3 years deals), and I get nothing from this. Shame on them.

[quote name='slowdive21']Yeah I know I am double posting, but in case you guys did not see it:

Best Buy Bonus $10/$20 certificate for Christmas to Reward Zone Members (YMMV)

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281749

Long story short if you rarely use your reward zone account you may have a $10 or $20 certificate that is good until 12/25.

My Mom has only bought penny guides and she had $20 in her account.

[/QUOTE]

Holy crap, thanks man. I would've missed this otherwise. :)

I'm leaning towards going tomorrow. If there's enough, I(or someone) could let Doc know so we can get discounted. Just need a headcount and a timeframe. I could always grab a handful of games I've gotten cheap and haven't opened for trades, but it's a little slim right now.

[quote name='shieryda']Is anyone else planning on going to Galloping Ghost tomorrow?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='mrosnwo']I'm leaning towards going tomorrow. If there's enough, I(or someone) could let Doc know so we can get discounted. Just need a headcount and a timeframe. I could always grab a handful of games I've gotten cheap and haven't opened for trades, but it's a little slim right now.[/QUOTE]

You guys can add me to the list. (I probably won't bring any trade items though.)

Shieryda and slowdive, great seeing you guys again, had a blast. Next time those Killer Instinct tournament players won't be able to handle us! For all you guys who haven't made the trip to Galloping Ghost yet, what are you waiting for? This place is pure gaming heaven. A real gold mine of gaming history all the way to the present.

I'll try to make it next time you guys go. I couldn't manage it this time because I'm finishing up my finals.

[quote name='mrosnwo']Shieryda and slowdive, great seeing you guys again, had a blast. Next time those Killer Instinct tournament players won't be able to handle us! For all you guys who haven't made the trip to Galloping Ghost yet, what are you waiting for? This place is pure gaming heaven. A real gold mine of gaming history all the way to the present.[/QUOTE]

Good times were had by all. I got my ass handed to me in the Tournament, but I did manage to beat everyone after the tournament ended (except for one guy that left and the guy who won the tournament).

Mrosnwo got a tough matchup against the second place winner/Arcade employee.

Next time we will have to study the combos ahead of time like everyone else! I can't wait to bust out the 82 hit Sabrewulf Ultra Combo.

I really think the tournaments should have a random character selection, so it evens the playing field a little more.

[quote name='slowdive21']Yeah I know I am double posting, but in case you guys did not see it:

Best Buy Bonus $10/$20 certificate for Christmas to Reward Zone Members (YMMV)

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281749

Long story short if you rarely use your reward zone account you may have a $10 or $20 certificate that is good until 12/25.

My Mom has only bought penny guides and she had $20 in her account.

[/QUOTE]

Happy Christmas to me! Thanks a lot for this! I would have had no idea. You the man, homey.

[quote name='Josh5890']Yea the Bears have really turned it around since the bye. We can play against anyone in the NFC right now.[/QUOTE]

And lose. :D

[quote name='Josh5890']Yea the Bears have really turned it around since the bye. We can play against anyone in the NFC right now.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to predict that the Bears will go to the Superbowl.....and promptly lose the AFC team, like their last trip to the Superbowl. Still, GO BEARS!

Merry Christmas to all you guys in this thread. I've been on CAG for a couple of years now but never really explored it too much outside the main deals and DVD sections. Then I happened upon someone mentioning this thread in another thread, and it turned into the best thing on this site. I met a good bunch of you guys at the meet-up back in September, and have run into quite a few of you guys since then as well. It was not only nice to know that others in the area share my same hobby/passion for games(and cheap ones at that!), but they were also really great guys and fun to hang around with. Some I would even call friends. I hope that the last few months were just the beginning and we can make 2011 even better when it comes to CAG related events, or even non-CAG related events. We are all lucky to be in or around such a great city with so much to do. Now, to bed with me, before Santa shows up, but not before I drink my ovaltine(God like 15 more hours of this movie on TBS).

[quote name='mrosnwo']Merry Christmas to all you guys in this thread. I've been on CAG for a couple of years now but never really explored it too much outside the main deals and DVD sections. Then I happened upon someone mentioning this thread in another thread, and it turned into the best thing on this site. I met a good bunch of you guys at the meet-up back in September, and have run into quite a few of you guys since then as well. It was not only nice to know that others in the area share my same hobby/passion for games(and cheap ones at that!), but they were also really great guys and fun to hang around with. Some I would even call friends. I hope that the last few months were just the beginning and we can make 2011 even better when it comes to CAG related events, or even non-CAG related events. We are all lucky to be in or around such a great city with so much to do. Now, to bed with me, before Santa shows up, but not before I drink my ovaltine(God like 15 more hours of this movie on TBS).[/QUOTE]

Yup, yup... Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night! (Oh, and sweet dreams, CAGs -- I just watched Inception. :cool:)

Tomorrow 12/31 will be the last day to get discounted tickets for C2E2.

If you are student the discount code "STU5" should save you another $5, but they say be prepared to show your student ID. That code is from last year, so I am not sure if it will work or not as I am not a student and I bought my Tix from a comic store last year.

[quote name='slowdive21']Tomorrow 12/31 will be the last day to get discounted tickets for C2E2.

If you are student the discount code "STU5" should save you another $5, but they say be prepared to show your student ID. That code is from last year, so I am not sure if it will work or not as I am not a student and I bought my Tix from a comic store last year.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the headsup.

[quote name='slowdive21']Tomorrow 12/31 will be the last day to get discounted tickets for C2E2.

If you are student the discount code "STU5" should save you another $5, but they say be prepared to show your student ID. That code is from last year, so I am not sure if it will work or not as I am not a student and I bought my Tix from a comic store last year.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for reminding me! My brother has been bugging me about it too, but I probably still would have forgotten. Last show was refreshing after the crappy "Twilight edition" of the 2009 Wizard con. This past Wizard was better, but overcrowded and still missing out big time on the comic portion of the comic-con. Plus McCormick Place is much larger and easier to walk through, not to mention like 10 minutes to get to from my house. :) I'll be in for the weekend pass, so hit me up if anyone wants to meet-up and compare findings.

For those looking for a few guides from the last drop, the John Hancock BB has The Zelda LE guide, Alpha Protocol, and others. I could buy any of them because I didn't want to lug the guides walking miles downtown and on the Metra. Take a bookbag.

Going with a group of guys to galloping ghost on the 15th again. Everytime I tell someone about it they want to go with me, and this day works for us. If anyone wants to swing by, it's always good seeing you guys.

Over the past few weeks I've been keeping an eye on some of the clearance games at the Target on Elston Ave., waiting for them to hit the sweet spot. I go there today, and all the good games were gone! I wanted Fallout GOTY for Xbox 360, but no it was not meant to be. All that was left was some Wii, DS, and PS2 games, one PS3 game, UFC Undisputed and Band Hero (both for Xbox 360). Left with Band Hero. Someone here beat me to that copy of Fallout?

^spam?

@z: I don't hit that one, but the last several times I've been to Targets, their clearance sections are either crap or nonexistent.

I was at that Target last week and it was a nightmare to get out of the lot. The post-Christmas crowd was a killer. Wouldn't have grabbed the Fallout anyway. If I see one cheap later this week when I get out I'll let you know. If anyone sees a Red Steel 2 with Motion+ drop to 9.98 let me know too. I've been eyeing them at a few stores but they're still $20 everytime I see them.

I've hit some Targets and there is very little in the realm of games. I saw a Fallout 3 on 360 (non GOTY?) and Lost Planet 2 on PS3 that was out of system @ 9.98. They had some random DS games, but overall pretty limited.

[quote name='mrosnwo']Long time to go, I know, but Bruce Campbell is coming to Wizardworld Chicago in August. Can't wait.[/QUOTE]

I told myself I was not going to go back to wizard, but I may have to go for Bruce Campbell.

Hey has anyone ever been to Game Pazzo in Downers Grove? I drive past it every day on my way to work in Oak Brook, and just now decided to look it up.

They buy/sell/trade but apparently you can also "rent" spots to try games. There's also food/bar (unsure if alcohol), tournaments, a music stage, etc.

[quote name='mrosnwo']Going with a group of guys to galloping ghost on the 15th again. Everytime I tell someone about it they want to go with me, and this day works for us. If anyone wants to swing by, it's always good seeing you guys.[/QUOTE]

There are tournaments on the 14th and WGN will be there.

Friday, January 14 at 5:00pm - January 15 at 2:00am

WGN Channel 9 is coming in to film around the arcade! They are going to be arriving around 5PM and should be there for a few hours. We are also holding THREE tournaments! Killer Instinct, Mortal Kombat II (the actors from Mortal Kombat have been invited too) & Super Street Fighter IV! Prizes for each tournament shall be announced soon. Should be a lot of fun and maybe you'll even be on TV!

Yeah I saw the tournament thing for Friday, but one of my friends can only go on Saturday. I've got this urge to go on Friday anyway. I don't really want to go both days, but I have considered it. Gotta think it over. :whistle2:k

bread's done
Back