It's a Wonderful Last Movie You Saw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amadeus

The Directer's Cut. An absolutely wonderful movie, it seemed even better than the first time I watched it. And the music is just so phenomenally amazing; that Mozart guy was pretty good :)

Just watched Shaun of the Dead for the first time last night. That movie is a fucking riot. I hope they make more "Shaun" movies. The character is gold.

Saw War of the Worlds last night. In order to enjoy it fully, you need to turn your brain off completely and not let blatant plot holes and illogical details annoy you, and run out of the theater the moment the dead alien's body shows up on screen so your experience won't be ruined by the final scene that simply doesn't match the rest of the film.

War of the Worlds and Mr. and Mrs. Smith. Went to the drive-in last night and saw both a these for $7 a person, great price. Both movies did their job; kept me entertained throughout. I don't go to movies to pick them a part, I go to watch, and hopefully, and enjoy them. Too many people go into movies for more than just entertainment.

[quote name='crickett003']The Pacifier - yeah, I know.[/QUOTE]

Just make sure we don't have to have this conversation again.:lol:

I just watched Destroy All Monsters on DVD, which is one of the worse DVD releases of all time. It has one chapter stop, which is at the begining of the movie, no menu, the print they used isn't very good, it's dubbed, and it's not 16x9 enhanced. The only good thing about the release is it came with the CD soundtrack.

Grave of the Fireflies - somehow I expected more, but it was okay.

War of the Worlds
- exactly what I expected. And goddamn is Dakota just about ripe ... :drool: ;)

I just saw Gremlins. I got to see goonies last year. I wanna see back to the future and top gun next. I didnt see all the big movies when I was a kid,

Harold and Kumar go to Whitecastle.

Funny movie, made me want to get some whitecastle but Whitecastle doesn't have any love for the westcoast.

the croupier....good stuff-- clive owen was pretty awesome in it.

Empire Records - 3.5/5
If I posted this after the first time I watched it about 9 years ago my score would be much higher.

Got a whole string of movies I've seen lately so bare with me now.

The Pacifier - Bleh. Simple 4-5/10 Got a couple humourous moments in it, but it is littered with terribly cheesy scenes and much of the movie is just boring. Very simple plot and with some terrible acting. Look what has become of Vid Diesel (sp). He used to be the man with films like Boiler Room, Saving Private Ryan, etc. but look what has become of him.

Rushmore - Following my string of Kaufman movies, I went on to watch this classic Wes Anderson film. Directed wonderfully and very well written. Excellent movie and Bill Murray is funny as ever in his subtle sarcastic way. This movie is probalby 2 or 3 on my list of Anderson movie with number one being Life Aquatic followed by either this or the Royal Tenenbaums. highly recommended.

And during this long weekend I decided to go over to a friend's house. This being the same friend that wished to watch House of the Dead despite my warnings of how bad it was. Well, this time around my friend decided that it was worth seeing Alone in the Dark and again against my warnings (I've already seen it once and once was enough). My God the horror.

Alone in the Dark - Upon a second viewing of this film, it has been made more apparent truly what an abomination of movie this is. It's just terrible, and I'm having a hard time deciding if it's worse than House of the Dead, but there's one thing I know, it definitely is at least on par with it. I mean this time we have crazy panning around with slowing down and then speeding up the camera that is just not needed. Uwe Boll just makes it more obvious why he should not be directing. You've got the same ol' bad action sequences as House of the Dead (I'm comparing the attack on the zombies in House of the Dead to the attack on the Zenoes in Edward Carnby's flat) The story is yet again attrocious and the protagonist is unmoving and terribly acted on the part of Slater. Truly, none of the actors are good in this movie. Someone please tell me how Tara Reid trying play a brain/intellectual person works out. None of the actors also seemed able to memorize their lines, let alone speak them or speak them clearly. Tara Reid mispronouncing Newfoundland was the highlight of the film for me. Also, the characters in the story are terrible. What, I mean am I supposed to believe that he is some sort of martial artist or that he has some special powers. Give me break. Wow, so bad.... just bad. I've really got to find some new friends ;). I mean, who would put a friend through such torture.

Even the set designs are terrible I've noticed upon this second viewing of this film. I mean Slater's character, Darnby walks around in a full trenchcoat on a sunny day in what looks to be 80 degree and higher weather. The best part of the film in my opinion was the ending credits. one of the most convoluted movies ever.

Half-Baked - One of my favorite Reefer movies. Hilarious. Dave Chappelle shows his comic genius in this film. Probably one of the best "stupid" comedies I have seen. And I know that plenty of people might disagree with my opinion since a lot of people that I know thought the movie was some of the dumbest shit they've ever seen since all they do in this movie is basicaly talk about, buy, and sell marijuana, but I found the premise of the movie to be qutie funny really.

War of the Worlds

The special effects were amazing and the first part of the story shows some amazing potential. The problem however, is that the end of the movie is absolutely horrible. Its difficult to really talk about it without giving it away (even though I want to so that no one else has to waste their time with it). Suffice it to say, the pacing of the story is absolutely horrendous. Its, speed, slow, speed, end. They hurry into the alien stuff at the beginning (which I have no problem with considering a long backstory can be just boring at times) Then the middle part is just the same stuff rehashed a few times. Then the movie just abruptly ends on you thinking, WTF?

[quote name='RedvsBlue']War of the Worlds

The special effects were amazing and the first part of the story shows some amazing potential. The problem however, is that the end of the movie is absolutely horrible. Its difficult to really talk about it without giving it away (even though I want to so that no one else has to waste their time with it). Suffice it to say, the pacing of the story is absolutely horrendous. Its, speed, slow, speed, end. They hurry into the alien stuff at the beginning (which I have no problem with considering a long backstory can be just boring at times) Then the middle part is just the same stuff rehashed a few times. Then the movie just abruptly ends on you thinking, WTF?[/QUOTE]

I have to agree with you to some degree. I really enjoyed the movie, however, the last 15 minutes were of the extremely cheesy crappy ending style.

The first 3/4 of the movie was very intense and the sounds effects were incredible. The ending (although based on the book), was extremely anti-climactic. The "tacked-on" saccharine ending was gag inducing.

The movie seemed to spin into suckdom after the farmhouse/basement scene.

I know it sounds like I didn't like it, but it could have been much, much better!

Just my 2 cents worth ;)

[quote name='RedvsBlue']War of the Worlds

The special effects were amazing and the first part of the story shows some amazing potential. The problem however, is that the end of the movie is absolutely horrible. Its difficult to really talk about it without giving it away (even though I want to so that no one else has to waste their time with it). Suffice it to say, the pacing of the story is absolutely horrendous. Its, speed, slow, speed, end. They hurry into the alien stuff at the beginning (which I have no problem with considering a long backstory can be just boring at times) Then the middle part is just the same stuff rehashed a few times. Then the movie just abruptly ends on you thinking, WTF?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I didn't understand the ending at first, and neither did anyone else in the theater. It wasn't until we were driving home when my friend (who read the book) explained to me what happened to the aliens. I guess I just like movies where lots of innocent people get killed :?

The Longest Yard. It was pretty funny. I liked how Damon (I don't know the actor's real name) sold McDonald's to the inmates.

Spanglish - 1.5/5
I love James L. Brooks previous movies (and the Simpsons) but Spanglish...is a disaster. It was all over the place. 90% of the movie was yelling, whining and crying. Adam Sandler was at his best but he couldn't carry this movie alone. Téa Leoni was awful. She has the annoying bad character (Deborah) down kinda, but I felt no emotion from her when it counted in the last 15 min of the movie. She made me want to fast forward the movie every time she was on screen, not because of how horrible Deborah is supposed to be but how horrible her see through acting as Deborah was. I am not even going to get into how every character in Spanglish is stereotypical (alcoholic mom, perfect gorgeous maid, dorky fat girl, loving do no wrong husband, bitch cheating wife...)

[quote name='6669']Yeah, I didn't understand the ending at first, and neither did anyone else in the theater. It wasn't until we were driving home when my friend (who read the book) explained to me what happened to the aliens. I guess I just like movies where lots of innocent people get killed :?[/QUOTE]

Its not that I don't understand the end, its the fact that it was cheap. If that's the same way that the book ends then its just as shitty IMO. Not necessarily the way it happens, but just the fact that its like "ok, we're done" movie's over with the weakest plot resolution I've ever seen in a movie. At least they had to work for it in Independence Day...

I am man enough to admit I watched Pacifier and enjoyed it. It kept me entertained, which is good. Sure it was kind of cheesy, but its a family oriented movie made by Disney, what else do you expect.

[quote name='craven_fiend']I am man enough to admit I watched Pacifier and enjoyed it. It kept me entertained, which is good. Sure it was kind of cheesy, but its a family oriented movie made by Disney, what else do you expect.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I saw Pacifier too. It was OK. I don't like Vin Diesel, but it didn't take away from my enjoyment of the movie. You can definitely tell the script was written for Jackie Chan, though. However, when he was unavailable they passed it to Vin Diesel.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Duel, Steven Speilbergs first film
and the last half of Die Hard[/QUOTE]

Spielbergs first film wasn't Duel it was Night Gallery Sneaky or you could go even further than that to Amblin if you want to be technical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back