It's Bigger than "The Hip-Hop Thread"

Anyone ever hear the "Hip-Hop Docktrine - The Official Boondocks Mixtape"?

It's worth a listen (for me) for the Black Star lyrics over a Gangstarr 'Ownerz' beat... "Hip-Hop Remix"

[quote name='MadChedar0']Anyone ever hear the "Hip-Hop Docktrine - The Official Boondocks Mixtape"?

It's worth a listen (for me) for the Black Star lyrics over a Gangstarr 'Ownerz' beat... "Hip-Hop Remix"[/QUOTE]

I listened to all three of those mixtapes. Pretty sweet stuff.

I have also been very surprised with the first decent Mos Def LP since his debut. The guest verse from Slick Rick was a very pleasant surprise, even if he's rapping over a recycled Madlib beat (great though).

I've also been somewhat surprised by the Rick Ross LP. I'm almost certain dude hired some writers though, because his punchlines and overall ability seem to have improved tenfold from the last album, which wasn't a favorite of mine.

For old times sake I've also been listening to the new Grouch and Eligh LP and the new Zion I. Underground hip-hop is still breathing apparently.

^ I don't consider a beat "recycled" unless someone has rapped on it.

I don't blame Madlib or Dilla for releasing albums of their beats, some of which wouldn't ever be heard otherwise... think of all the Timbaland and RZA beats we'll never hear.

I don't mind people rapping over those beats. But keep in mind, we're talking about an album with old Madlib, Oh No, and J Dilla samples/beats. Mos Def seemed to be trying to make a global/world sounding record which surprisingly worked out all right for him.

yeah, I guess he picked the most "world-sounding"

If I were Mos Def, I would just start hooking up with the Stone's Throw dudes strictly... do a full album with Madlib, do a full album with Oh No... it would only be beneficial to him.

You do make a good point, but I can't be mad as he killed it. :)

Also, yes, I agree that he needs to keep spittin' over ST beats. Wouldn't mind hearing him with Guilty Simpson, actually.

Yes, one of the main reasons I've gravitated back to other genres over the years is due to the single based records that have dominated the genre in the last 10 years. I don't usually mind if there are enough great singles, but I almost always prefer consistency of vision. With that in mind, Mos Def did seem to have a vision, which is probably why he didn't mind using recycled material. It fit perfectly with his plan for the album, which is still more planning that seems to occur with most big albums these days. Hell, at least 808 and Heartbreak had a consistent vision. Most of these rappers just pick a whole bunch of unrelated bangers and just slap them together like it's a mixtape.

the last mainstream rap album that had a cohesive theme was "American Gangster" really.... that shit is usually reserved for the indie-circuit.

808 and Heartbreak and the Madvillain album were both pretty cohesive sounding to me. I did enjoy American Gangster as well, but beyond the film quote interludes, the album didn't really come across as any different than a typical Jay-Z album. When didn't he make party anthems out of drug sales?

Even something like the Talib Kweli/Madlib project comes to mind. I just wish more mainstream artists were willing to do supergroups or collaborations like rock artists. I always hear of groups of musicians meeting each other on tour and then doing a project together.

MadVillain isn't mainstream though... 808s qualifies though...

the reason stuff like Kweli/Madlib happens, Kool Keith and whoever, is you can do that stuff on indie labels... big record labels, they ain't trying to hear that you are going to do a whole album with DJ Premier, even if it came out real dope.

those labels are brainless.

[quote name='DestroVega']MadVillain isn't mainstream though... 808s qualifies though...

the reason stuff like Kweli/Madlib happens, Kool Keith and whoever, is you can do that stuff on indie labels... big record labels, they ain't trying to hear that you are going to do a whole album with DJ Premier, even if it came out real dope.

those labels are brainless.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much!

Hip-hop shows definitely need more acts like The Roots. I've enjoyed De La Soul live before as well. I saw a good Quannum show where Blackalicious, Laytrx, and DJ Shadow were all in attendance. Many times I see live hip-hop nowadays and I'm bored. I saw Ghostface and Raekwon last year and it was sooo boring.

I thought the Roots were pretty shitty IMO...

too much variations on their own songs, a few too many cover songs... I dunno, I wasn't feeling it.

Some of the best hip-hop shows I've seen...

Kanye - the best live hip-hop show I have ever seen... no hypeman, rapped everyline, while going crazy on stage, played full songs, had an actual theme. it was pretty amazing.
Jay-Z open for Puff tour in 98... dude just rocked a table and bulletproof vest and ripped it for 30 mins
Gangstarr
Kool Keith for the comedy
I saw all of Wu and that was pretty cool, they all did solo sets at about 15 mins each then all joined up at the end.

i dunno, those are the ones that stick out but I've seen over 50...

I don't agree with that either. I've seen them twice, and in one case they were pretty lackluster with the energy. Black Thought is a great MC on paper and in the studio but I think he lacks a certain charisma that most front men possess.

I've seen Kool Keith a couple times. I saw him at a rave in the Bay Area around 2000 while tripping acid and it was mainly strange to me. He ended up throwing fried chicken and capri suns into the crowd throughout his show. I also saw him at Coachella in 2003 or so and he wouldn't get off the stage after his allocated time and security had to coax him to leave (MF DOOM was next up).

Weak vocal delivery, hypemen, and the lack of a band generally spell death of a rap show for me.

What's this madness in here? The Roots aren't only the best live hip hop act around, I'd go so far to say they're currently the best live musicians, period.

sorry, I just wasn't feeling it...

Kool Keith did the CHICKEN BREAK! at my show too... my friend ate the chicken wing in the baggy, I wouldn't go near that shit.

To anyone who hasn't yet, check out Kero One's new album Early Believers.

To me it's a big step up from his debut album. The overall production just feels and sounds a lot better.

Check it out!

Grand Puba's new one if okay. Not great but not bad either. Sad thing is that I have a hard time seeing it satisfying old fans but not exactly fit to young people's ears. Outside of one song, its nowhere near as catchy as say, Reel To Reel which is okay for me but I have a hard time seeing others digging the laid back vibe from him (its a bit of a stark contrast compared to him 15 years ago to now).

If nothing else, its better than the albums Sadat X has been releasing the past 10 years

edit: in a side note, rumors swirling around that DJ Krush is working a new album. Hope that rumor is true. Its been about 3 years since new material came from him (his entry in the OuMuPo series)

the new Sadat, Brand New Bein, is pretty good I thought.

not super terrible than that last one... I also enjoyed Experience n Education.

oh yeay, today I listened to MF Grimm Downfall of Iblyss for my first time...

yeay... definitely gonna be in heavy rotation for quite some time lol

Just saw the video for "Kind of Like a Big Deal." Pretty boring considering Clipse worked with KAWS on record art and also considering that Kanye is cool with artists in many different mediums. I love the song, but Kanye just kills Pusha T and Malice on this song. It's probably the best Kanye verse in a whlie.

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00025198.html

Anyone else really really digging the Finale LP? The interludes are just perfect and beats are nice and varied. Feeling this one so much right now.

new Pseudo Slang album really fucking good. Definitly hear the growth that Emcee Sick and Tone Atlas has gone through, especially Tone Atlas (easily some of the best beats of the year so far). Worth picking up...hell, everything they've released has been worth picking up. And don't forget the Pseudo Intellectuals album with Tone Atlas and fellow CAG member, Nick Zero

Wish I could find a hard copy of their Catalogue album

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Higher lulz. Kanye did kill both of them on the track. Willy Wonkas.[/QUOTE]

Seriously...Kanye can come hard when he wants to and without coke references Malice and Pusha can sound one dimensional.

[quote name='c335harp']Seriously...Kanye can come hard when he wants to and without coke references Malice and Pusha can sound one dimensional.[/QUOTE]

You leave my boys alone!

[quote name='fart_bubble']new Pseudo Slang album really fucking good. Definitly hear the growth that Emcee Sick and Tone Atlas has gone through, especially Tone Atlas (easily some of the best beats of the year so far). Worth picking up...hell, everything they've released has been worth picking up. And don't forget the Pseudo Intellectuals album with Tone Atlas and fellow CAG member, Nick Zero

Wish I could find a hard copy of their Catalogue album[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear that, time to rip my copy then, haha.

[quote name='Bavgate']That new Wu-Tang album leaked earlier. Haven't listened to it yet, but I hope it's at least decent.[/QUOTE]

New Wu album? Or are you talking about the new Rae album?

Yeah, it's more like a compilation album, I guess. Apparently an official new Wu album is dropping next year.

On the topic of the Wu, anyone listen to U-God's new album, Dopium? I've heard it's his best work to date.

U-God good? u mean...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tLebMVT-zw

nah jk, U-God has stepped up. I got Dopium, will listen soon!

today I listened to new Camp Lo and Zion-I

Zion-I is disappointing... it's actually not very good at all.

Camp Lo is good, but doesnt stand out... worth a listen jus coz it's Camp Lo and they rap about nonsense, but you'll soon forget about it.

[quote name='Bavgate']Raekwon drops in August. The new Wu album is called Chamber Music. Didn't really like it. It was better than their last album, but that's not saying much. GZA, Masta Killa and Meth weren't even on Chamber Music at all.

http://www.amazon.com/Chamber-Music...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1246049930&sr=8-1[/QUOTE]

Yea I know about Rae no prob. But that is more of a compilation then a Wu album. New Wu drops next year as mentioned.

I went to rock the bells it was awesome.
When we got there we found out we couldn't take in lawn chairs and that Damian Marley wasn't gonna be there that sucked.
Knaan was pretty cool i never heard of him but his music was good.
Charlie 2na was awesome but im a fan of him.
Tech N9ne had the crowd really rocking. He was the first artist on the main stage to get a lot of people to really get up and go crazy.
M.O.P. Was fuckING AWESOME!!!!!!!!! they did how about some hardcore and did a couple songs from warriors. When they did ANTE UP!!!!!!!!!! WE went NUTS.
SLAUGHTERHOUSE Was the best group on the second Stage. They RIPPED it. The played a joke on Joey. Joell says man i'm pumped up and Looks at Joe and says are you pumped up. The Dj starts playing pump it up lol. They had some hecklers in the crowd it was these two douchebags holding up a Wu-tang T-shirt. When they did their freestyles Joell told Joe "Just don't diss anybody" lol. Overall they where great i can't wait until they drop the album on aug 11
Big Boi was good he did most of the Outkast stuff and some stuff from his solo album.
The Roots where Meh. I have seen them do better.
Busta Rhymes killed it. It was crazy because he did a one verse or a half a verse of some songs and still killed it. He brought out M.O.P. and did the Ante Up Remix. I fogot how many songs he has had.
Nas killed it. Damian wasn't there so it was just him and Dj Green Lantern so he did a couple songs from illmatic. Then brings out
AZ! Holy Shit crowd goes bananas AZ does sugar hill and they Do Phone Tap.
Nas goes into the world is yours, nas is like and Hero. Then
Everywhere we go people wanna know and Styles P comes out He does a couple of songs Good times, Blow ya mind, and Then MY Life comes on and Pharoah Monch comes out and sings the hook. Right into Simon Says everybody in the crowd is screaming GET THE fuck UP!!!!!!!!!Awesome
Now that that every one is voiceless nas comes back out and finishes up with made you look and one mic. Overall great concert

bread's done
Back