It's getting that time...What's your Game of the Year?

[quote name='ighosty']I wouldnt vote for it but shouldnt halo 3 be up there.[/quote]

Did you PLAY the campaign in Halo 3? If you did, you'll know why it's not on the list.

How did Persona 3 get on there? As well as Rock Band and Guitar Hero 3. They shouldn't be on there. I'd put Metroid Prime 3 up there. Doesn't seem too much thought was put into this list.

But the answer is clear if you've played the best games this year:

Super Mario Galaxy

[quote name='zewone']Because Persona 3 is better than your favorite game.[/QUOTE]
Still sitting sealed on my shelf...I should play it, huh?

I always am amazed at how the early year releases get forgotten so quickly... My vote for now is Hotel Dusk, but I may say Mass Effect if that is good when I pick up my copy.

It's all about That Orange Box.

Even if Episode 2 had been released on its own, it would have won. With Portal thrown in, it's no contest.

Portal is my GOTY thus far. The perfect combination of concept and execution with an unexpectedly funny and engaging story. It's the one of the few games I have played that felt completely new and fresh.

I'm working through Super Mario Galaxy right now, and still have Crysis and COD4 to play.
[quote name='help1']Although Portal was a fun game, it is too short to win this prize. I would say Portal wins for innovation, since making a great puzzle game in first person view is quite the feat.[/QUOTE]

I didn't realize there were arbitrary length requirements on GOTY, I'll have to recheck the GOTY rule book. Games could learn from Portals focused execution IMO, learn to chop out the filler and refine the game down to just the essential.

[quote name='Scorch']Did you PLAY the campaign in Halo 3? If you did, you'll know why it's not on the list.[/quote]Because it was fun? I'd say Halo 3 was a better overall single-player game than Bioshock was.

[quote name='daroga']Because it was fun? I'd say Halo 3 was a better overall single-player game than Bioshock was.[/quote]

How dare you disgrace the gaming gods?

Also S.T.A.L.K.E.R was a reall good game that most people forget about.

[quote name='msdmoney']Games could learn from Portals focused execution IMO, learn to chop out the filler and refine the game down to just the essential.[/quote]
Its short length helped make it as good as it is. I played through Portal and then went to Half-Life 2 and couldn't help but wondering how much more I would enjoy Half-Life 2 if it cut out some of the travel time (though HL2 is still a great game). What would Portal have been like if it made you go through 150 levels before getting to the point?

Shit, Portal could very well be my favorite game of all time. I don't like to commit like that, but I thought the game was as closer to perfect than any other game I've ever played. It was so good I am actually hoping they don't make a sequel; I can't imagine having more fun with a game until we have some major advances in technology.

Persona 3.
I didnt have to shoot something in the 3rd or 1st person perspective. Only myself in the head.

fuck yeah.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

The game is such a blast, very beautiful, and almost everything about it is superb. My only complaint is that the shooting isn't the most spectacular (just good, kind of like ICO in a way where combat was probably the weakest, but everything else is too good), but everything else is great. It's hard to put the game down. First game I felt that way since Final Fantasy X (in 2002).

If I did not play that game, I would have been bitching for Ratchet not being up. Ratchet & Clank Future is my runner-up for sure.

[quote name='KingBroly']How did Persona 3 get on there? As well as Rock Band and Guitar Hero 3. They shouldn't be on there. I'd put Metroid Prime 3 up there. Doesn't seem too much thought was put into this list.

But the answer is clear if you've played the best games this year:

Super Mario Galaxy[/QUOTE]

I stared the poll after CAG started posted their favorites. So your right, not much thought, just simple transcribing. I number of people swear Persona 3 is the GOTY; I haven't tried it.

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']I stared the poll after CAG started posted their favorites. So your right, not much thought, just simple transcribing. I number of people swear Persona 3 is the GOTY; I haven't tried it.[/quote]

Try it. Best RPG in along time.

[quote name='daroga']Because it was fun? I'd say Halo 3 was a better overall single-player game than Bioshock was.[/QUOTE]

Oh my god, get OUT, you slobbering fool.

How the hell is Halo 3 not even an option? fuck the "durr, campaign suck'd" people. Get friends.

It may be Rock Band after I spend more time with it and get my first 4-player session in, so I'm not voting yet.

[quote name='daroga']Because it was fun? I'd say Halo 3 was a better overall single-player game than Bioshock was.[/QUOTE]

How the hell is Halo 3 not even an option? fuck the "durr, campaign suck'd" people. Get friends.

It may be Rock Band after I spend more time with it, and get my first 4-player session in. Not voting yet.

[quote name='InuFaye']Try it. Best RPG in along time.[/quote]

I must of missed something with P3 because it was not that great to me especially with the hype.. maybe it just appeals more to the fans of the Persona series or the SMT diehards in general.

I gave the edge to Bioshock.... but man it was tough to choose over SMG.
Either could win game of the decade (if such a poll existed).

Polls like this are misleading. The winning games are only the most popular games - not necessarily the best. I doubt that anyone here actually played every game listed in the poll (I certainly didn't), so our opinions are quite worthless.

[quote name='KaneRobot']How the hell is Halo 3 not even an option? fuck the "durr, campaign suck'd" people. Get friends.[/quote]And yet, the campaign didn't suck. It was a lot of fun, a good refinement (if not much enhancement) to the FPS formula.

If I was asked this at the beginning of the year, I would've said Super Smash Bros. Brawl and had the runner up be Guitar Hero 3

Brawl's yet to come out (due to be released in Feb) and I didn't think Guitar Hero 3 was that great (I've yet to try Rock Band though), so surprisingly Super Mario Galaxy wins it for me...didn't even expect this game to be this good

There's still a month left so things could change for me... but... it's unlikely.

For pretty much all this year, I was saying BioShock for GotY and it still was until I played Mario Galaxy. Mario Galaxy is my GotY, no questions. I'd say Orange Box is first runner up and BioShock my 2nd runner up. Honerable mention: Metroid Prime 3, God of War II, and CoD4.

[quote name='Teh Nitwit']Polls like this are misleading. The winning games are only the most popular games - not necessarily the best. I doubt that anyone here actually played every game listed in the poll (I certainly didn't), so our opinions are quite worthless.[/quote]Uh...

[quote name='Thread Title']What's your Game of the Year?[/quote]

[quote name='botticus']Uh...

Originally Posted by Thread Title
What's your Game of the Year?
[/quote]

All I'm saying is that the poll is misleading and only shows the relative popularity of those games.

[quote name='daroga']And yet, the campaign didn't suck. It was a lot of fun, a good refinement (if not much enhancement) to the FPS formula.[/QUOTE]
I agree that the campaign didn't suck, it's the only campaign out of the 3 Halo games I didn't hate.

Still, it's far from GOTY material

I don't have: Rock Band, Mass Effect (tonight bitchies), Assassin's Creed, or pretty much anything that's come out since GHIII.

But, as it stands, Bioshock.

For me, it's God of War 2 hands down. The story and voice acting was excellent. Also, for a PS2 game, the graphics & sound effects were top notch. I like how all of the gameplay drawbacks from the first game were addressed and improved upon. God of War 2 was the game I kept going back to again and again.

After about 5 hours I would say Mass Effect. Game is so fun I am even going to try to get all 1000/1000 in it.

The Orange Box. Because I've nitpicked about this game far less than any other I've played this year. The best bang for your buck, and each game is nearly-flawless in terms of design and fun.

I only played two console games released this year...

Odin Sphere and GGXX Accent Core -_-

I'm such a loser when it comes to game consumption man...

but my goty goes to the latter

I've got 40-some stars in Mario Galaxy, so of the games listed in the poll, that's my top pick, easily. Not sure how it stacks up against other good games this year though... not till I play some of the others I need to play.

[quote name='Teh Nitwit']Polls like this are misleading. The winning games are only the most popular games - not necessarily the best. I doubt that anyone here actually played every game listed in the poll (I certainly didn't), so our opinions are quite worthless.[/QUOTE]

I've played all except Persona 3...

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']I've played all except Persona 3...[/quote]

In your case, chances are that the reason you didn't play it is because it's not your kind of game and you wouldn't like it that much anyway. However, I think in many cases people didn't play some of the games in the poll because they don't own the system that the game is on (like me). In the case of those people, their vote might be different had they played the other games.

The best way to figure out the GOTY is for each member to list ALL the games thay played this year and pick their choice as the best.
Then, for each game you could calculate the percentage of GOTY votes separately.

So, if only 5 people played some game, but if all 5 of them picked it as their GOTY, then its percentage of 100% would tell you that that game is really good - although not necessarily popular.

Super Mario Galaxy
Portal
BioShock

I find it humorous that you didn't even bother to put Halo 3 on the list. That game is seeming more and more underrated and unjustly hated by the day.

Had to go with Bioshock. It was a great experience. SMG is good, but the graphics just won't let me pick it for game of the year. Too many jaggies for me, but I guess that's more of a hit on the machine than the game. No 720p is just stupid for a console of this generation.

While I enjoyed Halo, Bio Shock, and Call of Duty, I had the most fun with Crackdown. The mix of Grand Theft Auto and Spider-Man created a fresh experience.

While I know I'll be playing Halo and Call of Duty several months from now while I've been done with Crackdown (and Bio Shock) for quite some time, I had more fun with Crackdown this year than any other game.

At this point the only game I haven't played is Mass Effect, but for now, Crackdown gets my nod.

I haven't finished Mass Effect yet, but so far it's looking like World in Conflict for me. Amazing, amazing game.

[quote name='whoknows']I agree that the campaign didn't suck, it's the only campaign out of the 3 Halo games I didn't hate.

Still, it's far from GOTY material[/quote]Oh, true. I really like the game, but it's not the greatest thing ever--Halo never is. It's just solid, fun time, not "HOLY CRAP AMAZING!" There's also been so many other great games released this year.

Abbreviated version
--------------------------
Easily Super Mario Galaxy.

Drawn-out version
-------------------------
It's been a really good year for video games, with one game really standing out from everything else this year and pretty much this entire console generation: Super Mario Galaxy. I think it's one game that everybody needs to at least try, if not buy a Wii for (if you can find one!).

My non-SMG-GotY is The Orange Box (PC) because it's such a great value, and all the included games are very good (except for Peggle, but I guess that doesn't really count). Everybody knows how awesome Portal and TF2 are, but I'd like to mention Episode 2 as well, which I thought was friggin' awesome. Episode 3 can't come soon enough.

Other notable releases this year:

- Persona 3 (most original JRPG in a while)
- MLB Power Pros (best baseball game I've ever played)
- Zack & Wiki (really original and overlooked game)
- Metroid Prime 3 (awesome controls)
- Uncharted (not groundbreaking, but a very, very good game nonetheless)
- Ratchet and Clank (looks like a Pixar film at times, and has the gameplay to back up the visuals)
- Heavenly Sword (really enjoyable game for me... the production values are amazing)
- Halo 3 (multi) (started playing this at the dorm... feel free to add me so I can stop playing with random people online >_>)
- Mass Effect (waiting for copy in the mail, but played briefly at friend's place... looks to be better than the excellent Jade Empire)

I can't recall most of the portable stuff I've played this year right now, but Phantom Hourglass is definitely up there for top portable games of the year. I really need to snag a PSP sometime for FFT as well.

Abbreviated version
--------------------------
Easily Super Mario Galaxy.

Drawn-out version
-------------------------
It's been a really good year for video games, with one game really standing out from everything else this year and pretty much this entire console generation: Super Mario Galaxy. I think it's one game that everybody needs to at least try, if not buy a Wii for (if you can find one!).

My non-SMG-GotY is The Orange Box (PC) because it's such a great value, and all the included games are very good (except for Peggle, but I guess that doesn't really count). Everybody knows how awesome Portal and TF2 are, but I'd like to mention Episode 2 as well, which I thought was friggin' awesome. Episode 3 can't come soon enough.

Other notable releases this year:

- Persona 3 (most original JRPG in a while)
- MLB Power Pros (best baseball game I've ever played)
- Zack & Wiki (really original and overlooked game)
- Metroid Prime 3 (awesome controls)
- Uncharted (not groundbreaking, but a very, very good game nonetheless)
- Ratchet and Clank (looks like a Pixar film at times, and has the gameplay to back up the visuals)
- Heavenly Sword (really enjoyable game for me... the production values are amazing)
- Halo 3 (multi) (started playing this at the dorm... feel free to add me so I can stop playing with random people online >_>)
- Mass Effect (just started playing this one... looks to be better than the excellent Jade Empire)

I can't recall most of the portable stuff I've played this year right now, but Phantom Hourglass is definitely up there for top portable games of the year. I really need to snag a PSP sometime for FFT as well.

bread's done
Back