It's not a DVD Collection until you own...

[quote name='neocisco']But it's worth it for the nice extras disc if you have the box set.[/QUOTE]

But see, you're buying #3... nothing in God's green Earth can outweigh giving any bit of money and possessing that piece of trash.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']Manos: The Hands of Fate[/QUOTE]

The MST3K Essentials with this and Santa Claus Conquers the Martians should be in every collection :D.

[quote name='Danro']The MST3K Essentials with this and Santa Claus Conquers the Martians should be in every collection :D.[/QUOTE]

:applause: Every MST3k DVD for that matter

1. At least two Miyazaki films, from the following list: Kiki's Delivery Service, Castle in the Sky, Porco Rosso, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, My Neighbor Totoro, Howl's Moving Castle

2. At least two anime from the following list: Evangelion, Full Metal Alchemist, Sailor Moon, Blue Seed, Slayers, Utena, Rayearth

3. At least two Disney animated films, from the following list: Aladdin, The Lion King, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Hercules, Mulan, Toy Story, The Aristocats

But that's just my opinion, the majority of my collection is anime, animation, and children/teen movies/television. Although I do own more than 150 DVD's, so I do have quite a few actual movies. I don't like movies like Lord of the Rings or The Godfather though. Everyone needs to own Blues Brothers.

Hrm...obvious choices:

LOTR Extended Ed. Trilogy (w/ collector's box that holds them all ;) )
Fight Club
something by Tarantino
AT LEAST two of the following Speilberg's: Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, E.T., Jurassic Park
something by Kevin Smith
at least one Pixar film
AT LEAST two Tim Burton films

More obscure:

Fletch Lives
Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas (Criterion)
Kung Pow!
Tombstone
Almost Famous (Untitled Ed.)
High Fidelity
You've Got Mail

TV Sets:

Seinfeld
Sopranos
Simpsons
Family Guy

One that I've seen mentioned that I disagree with:

Star Wars Trilogy - I refuse to purchase this until it's released in its original form - which will be never. And I couldn't fault anyone else for doing the same.

One that I've seen that's most obviously lacking from my collection:

Godfather Trilogy. How embarrassing is it that I love this type of movie, but have NEVER seen one of the Godfather films all the way through?

[quote name='Maklershed']Nice! MST3k fan?[/QUOTE]

General fan of all that is so-bad-it's-good, for the most part. :bouncy:

I actually spent Valentine's Day watching the 'Prince of Space' episode with my boyfriend. "Oh no, a barrage of deadly negative scratches!"

[quote name='sarausagi']2. At least two anime from the following list: Evangelion, Full Metal Alchemist, Sailor Moon, Blue Seed, Slayers, Utena, Rayearth[/quote]

Hmmm- I'm only missing 2 from that list. :D

A TV series that has been off the air for more than 10 years

A series of movies that was meant to be a trilogy, but got bloated (Clerks, Aliens, American Pie, etc)

A "Special Edition" re-released after an actor or director has died.

A movie with an actor with a Bacon Number of 5 or more.

QUOTE=DuelLadyS]General fan of all that is so-bad-it's-good, for the most part. :bouncy:

I actually spent Valentine's Day watching the 'Prince of Space' episode with my boyfriend. "Oh no, a barrage of deadly negative scratches!"

Hmmm- I'm only missing 2 from that list. :D[/QUOTE]

Which ones? Five out of SEVEN, that's good! Which ones?

[quote name='sarausagi']
Which ones? Five out of SEVEN, that's good! Which ones?[/QUOTE]

I don't have Sailor Moon and Utena. Sailor Moon I won't be buying becuase I can borrow it from BF's sister (well, maybe part of the Dark Moon Circus arc someday.) Utena... I honestly didn't care for the bit of Utena I saw. I dunno why... I suppose I prefer my odd-ish anime to be comedic, but that one's fairly dark.

Ironically enough, I realized that out of my 371 anime DVDs, including an anime take on the adventures of Hans Christen Anderson from the dollar bin at Wal-mart... I don't own a damn thing by Miyazaki. I suppose I should get something, huh? I bet I can find Princess Mononoke nice n' cheap if I look... :bouncy:

[quote name='DuelLadyS'] I realized that out of my 371 anime DVDs[/QUOTE]

:shock: I don't suppose you have a rought estimate on how much that cost?

and I nominate Requiem for a Dream and Blade Runner.

[quote name='zionoverfire']:shock: I don't suppose you have a rought estimate on how much that cost?
[/QUOTE]

Actually, that wouldn't be too hard, since I've kept every packing slip from Rightstuf.com I've ever gotten- I just have to figure out where my damn cacluator is. :bouncy:

I did lie about the total, tho'- it's actually either 375 or 376. I've got a lil' chunk set aside for replacements by boxset later that I always forget about. I've gotta double-check how many there are.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']I don't have Sailor Moon and Utena. Sailor Moon I won't be buying becuase I can borrow it from BF's sister (well, maybe part of the Dark Moon Circus arc someday.) Utena... I honestly didn't care for the bit of Utena I saw. I dunno why... I suppose I prefer my odd-ish anime to be comedic, but that one's fairly dark.

Ironically enough, I realized that out of my 371 anime DVDs, including an anime take on the adventures of Hans Christen Anderson from the dollar bin at Wal-mart... I don't own a damn thing by Miyazaki. I suppose I should get something, huh? I bet I can find Princess Mononoke nice n' cheap if I look... :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

I tend to wait until a new movie gets released... then all of the previous ones go on sale. :)

I'd think anyone who watches decent amounts of anime would own significant portions of UC Gundam series (0079, War in the Pocket, Stardust Memory, Zeta, etc)

i'll go for something a bit obscure since it's probably my favorite movie of alltime.

I'll nominate Oldboy to the list. If you havent seen it, do yourself a favor and head to BlockBuster pronto.

[quote name='jPoD15']i'll go for something a bit obscure since it's probably my favorite movie of alltime.

I'll nominate Oldboy to the list. If you havent seen it, do yourself a favor and head to BlockBuster pronto.[/QUOTE]

Its ok but there are many other Jap/HK films that easily rival oldboy..

[quote name='jPoD15']Suggestions? i love this genre.[/QUOTE]

The 2 titles I want to qoute I cant remember thier names, I have the dvds but cant recall the names but here are some other,, The genre may vary here because I enjoy a lot of Jap/HK/Korean/china movie genres but here are some that I can recommened..

Any Dead or Alive
Dangan Runner
Sabu
Fudoh
Silmido
Unlucky Monkey
Brother( this is a US film but its good)
Izo
visitor Q
basically anything by Takashi Miike will be great...
Then of course you have your standards,, ichi, battle royal, versus( change in genre here) and so on.

I enjoy all genres yakuza, police action, military action, martial arts( set in present time or period type film, mainly samurai and Korean, Im not into Kung Fu) the only exceptions being thier comedies or horror, I like a few horror films but I never really got into thiers. I have a pretty decent collections of import dvds( well over 60) and there are many more that I could list but Im at work and honestly cant remember all the titles I have.. Blockbuster has been pretty good about getting alot of these import movies in but the problem is they take at least 6 months to a year to bring them over here, I buy all my import dvds off ebay, I get the new movies when they actually come out in thier part of the world. I dont buy burned copies( dvdrs) but they are not US verisions, I really dont have a problem with bootlegs, as long as the movie works, Im happy..

[quote name='JSweeney']I tend to wait until a new movie gets released... then all of the previous ones go on sale. :)

I'd think anyone who watches decent amounts of anime would own significant portions of UC Gundam series (0079, War in the Pocket, Stardust Memory, Zeta, etc)[/QUOTE]

Gundam, Gundam... I've got Endless Waltz, G-Gundam, and the 08th MS Team, with intent to buy War in the Pocket. I've seen more though (Stardust memory didn't much appeal to me.)

I did find my calculator- I've spent approx. $3261.48 at rightstuf since 8/7/04. That includes Priority Mail Shipping charges.

So, leaving room for anime bought elsewhere, I've probably spent between $3500 and $4000 for my collection. (Which ain't bad- about $11 a disc.)

Really Obvious...Napoleon Dynamite
Obvious...Rounders
Not So Obvious...Go, Princess Mononoke, Ghost World, Galaxy Quest

AND

for the adults here... Pirates XXX 3 Disc Special Edition (big budget adult film with CGI effects, 2 discs of special features, a true landmark, seriously)

[quote name='briansraregames']Really Obvious...Napoleon Dynamite
Obvious...Rounders
Not So Obvious...Go, Princess Mononoke, Ghost World, Galaxy Quest

AND

for the adults here... Pirates XXX 3 Disc Special Edition (big budget adult film with CGI effects, 2 discs of special features, a true landmark, seriously)[/QUOTE]

That actually sounds pretty interesting. Adult films should take themselves more seriously anyway. The gonzo stuff gets old fast.

2 Criterion, Any Kurosawa, HK John Woo, Any Brue Lee, Drunken Master 2, Akira, Desperado and at least 2 Kevin Smith movies

[quote name='briansraregames']Not So Obvious...Go, Princess Mononoke, Ghost World, Galaxy Quest[/QUOTE]

Galaxy Quest is one of the best comedies I've seen in years. That movie was so much better than it had any right to be. Alan Rickman rules so hard it's not even funny.

The Great Dictator- Charlie Chaplins movie mocking hitler
Quills- about the last days of marquis de sade
People vs Larry Flynt- about the life and legal problems of hustler's founder
The Opposite of Sex- Great comedy, especially if you like christina ricci
Man on the Moon- Jim carrey as andy kaufman

[quote name='megashock5']Galaxy Quest is one of the best comedies I've seen in years. That movie was so much better than it had any right to be. Alan Rickman rules so hard it's not even funny.[/QUOTE]

I know, Rickman is great, he's good in Dogma too.

A true lover of film and DVD will own these:

The Adventures of Antoine Doinel
The Harold Lloyd Comedy Collection
John Cassavetes: Five Films
The Passion of Joan of Arc
Jules et Jim
Citizen Kane
Grand Illusion
L'Avventura
Ugetsu
Breathless
Ran
Ikiru
M
and many others...

[quote name='DuelLadyS']Gundam, Gundam... I've got Endless Waltz, G-Gundam, and the 08th MS Team, with intent to buy War in the Pocket. I've seen more though (Stardust memory didn't much appeal to me.)

I did find my calculator- I've spent approx. $3261.48 at rightstuf since 8/7/04. That includes Priority Mail Shipping charges.

So, leaving room for anime bought elsewhere, I've probably spent between $3500 and $4000 for my collection. (Which ain't bad- about $11 a disc.)[/QUOTE]

$11 a disk is pretty cheap, the total is still staggering however.

[quote name='zionoverfire']$11 a disk is pretty cheap, the total is still staggering however.[/QUOTE]

The last time I checked, the retail value of my collection was over $12,000.

At 536 titles, thats about 20 bucks a disc I "paid" for, when thanks to Used DVDs and 1st week sales, it's probably closer to about $7,500.

[quote name='zionoverfire']$11 a disk is pretty cheap, the total is still staggering however.[/QUOTE]I don't think I even want to know what I've spent. :shock: :oops: :lol:

chungking express

wong kar wai, christopher doyle, and tony leung chiu wai...three of the best at what they do. i fall in love with this film every time i watch it.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']I don't think I even want to know what I've spent. :shock: :oops: :lol:[/QUOTE]
If you used DVDSpot, you'd know. ;) :lol:

bread's done
Back