It's that time of year - what's on your bi-annual DDD wishlist?

Maklershed

CAGiversary!
Feedback
77 (100%)
As you're all probably aware, the Deep Discount DVD 20% off free shipping occurs two times a year. We're about two weeks away for the first sale of the year (second sale occuring around November). Are you guys getting a wishlist ready? If so what are the main targets?

Pan's Labyrinth and maybe Afro Samuari extended cut since it comes out end of May. But Best Buy has been having a lot of exclusive sets and I'm a sucker for them so I'll wait to see what they offer. A lot of boxsets probably and maybe Planet Earth. This sale is ussually in the middle of June. We have a while to go still

Team America
Major League
Collateral
Duck You Sucker
Fistful of Dollars
For A Few Dollars More
Payback
40 Year Old Virgin
Donnie Brasco

My wishlist has a bunch of stuff, most of which I probably won't get this time. The ones I'm probably going to get this time around are
The Protector (tho it's on "Pre-order" status right now for some reason)
Hare + Guu vol 6 & 7 (and I guess vol. 1 of the OVA)
The Last Unicorn
Directors Box Set (Spike Jonze, Chris Cunningham, Michel Gondry)
Maybe a reality show or two if I feel like spending money and if the deal is good... Maybe Naruto.

Edited to add: Just to be nitpicky, isn't it semi-annual, not bi-annual?

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']

Edited to add: Just to be nitpicky, isn't it semi-annual, not bi-annual?[/quote]

The terms are interchangeable.

I've been planning on picking up He-Man and She-Ra sets since they're pretty cheap, but I've held off just for this sale, hopefully the prices don't go up or out of stock. $20 is good, but $16 is better.

[quote name='Danimal']Last year it ran from June 9-17[/quote]

Which sucks because 12 kingdom economy sets come out the 19th.... Really hoping this time it goes a little longer.

That Andromeda Slipstream Collection is going to be really tempting at $91

And if the Ultimate Matrix Collection stays at the same price it is now I'll be able to get it for $62

I don't think I'm going to pick up anything this time around. I still have stuff from the last DDD sale that I haven't watched yet. The only thing I'd really want is the Royal Rumble Anthology, but I'm already getting that for my B-Day

[quote name='Maklershed']The terms are interchangeable.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure semi-annual = twice a year whereas bi-annual = once every other year. Anyway...

For me, maybe some ATHF, Dog the Bounty Hunter (haha!), and 12 Kingdoms as well...I don't know though, I still have movies from November I haven't watched yet.

I'm thinking of getting one of the recent anime box sets, maybe Gatekeepers Box set. And if you don't like the show, too bad, I do. I thought it was a great show, even if it has a pretty typical story-line. Or, maybe I'll get the ah my goddess premium box set. I know I should probably just wait for the inevitable cheap box set that will eventually be coming out.

I'm for sure going to get

Planetes - Complete Collection
Twelve Kingdoms - Collection 2
Tekkaman Blade Collection I
Tekkaman Blade Collection II
Macross - Vol. 7: Hell's Fury [DualDisc]
perhaps .hack//SIGN Complete Collection

Thinking of getting

Star Trek-complete Original Series
and other misc stuff

My wish list has $1,709.31 worth of stuff on it but no way i'm going to drop that much cash in one go.

I'm just going to order a couple of Criterions. I've already preordered Army of Shadows and The Third Man at Gamestop thanks to their trade in 4 get 1 free deal. I"ll probably pick up the other two for May since that month is so kick ass.

[quote name='fart_bubble']Thats such a great boxset, anyone know what ever happened to the supposed second boxset that they were going to put out?[/QUOTE]
It's this one, right? http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=5780333

[quote name='Maklershed']From www.dictionary.com:

bi-annual adjective

happening twice a year
Example: a bi-annual event; The dinner is bi-annual, not annual.

Semi-annual

An event that occurs twice in a calendar year.[/QUOTE]Ah. Well, I guessed I learned something new today :)

[quote name='Kaijufan']Once again I plan on spending a ton of money during this sale. Right now I'm planing on picking up the seasons of Buffy (seasons 6 and 7) and Angel (3-5) that I don't have, NCIS Season 3, Doctor Who Series 2, Scrubs Season 5, The 4400 Season 3, Extras Season 2, The Lost Room, Babylon 5 The Gathering/In the Begining, Ultraman Series 1 volume 2, Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster, Invasion of the Astro Monster, and maybe a few seasons of the Sopranos.
If I still have money after that I want Quantum Leap seasons 3-5, Batman Beyond Seasons 2 and 3, Superman TAS Volumes 1-3, the James Bonds Ultimate Collections, and seasons of Deep Space Nine.[/QUOTE]

Supes TAS was on my wish list until last sale, when I finally bit the bullet--- honestly though, I think I snagged the entire set new from Amazon for under $12/each... definitely ended up being better than DDD (one of the few times)

[quote name='Brian9824']Drahken they have economy boxsets for both 12 kingdom collections coming out if you are looking to save money[/QUOTE]

I already have the first premium collection, and I can get the second one for 48 after 20% off, I can spend a few extra bucks for a matching set. I think the series is worth it too.

Read or Die box set.
And umm........some other stuff.

This is the time of year when I buy a bunch o' box sets to watch on my elliptical. Cheaper than a health club! :)

Hmm, nothing sticks out....MAYBE Brisco County Jr. It was $100 last sale, now its $70....will it be $40 come November?

*edit* oh looks like Dead Zone Season 5 comes out 6/5....thats a definite.

[quote name='Drahken']I already have the first premium collection, and I can get the second one for 48 after 20% off, I can spend a few extra bucks for a matching set. I think the series is worth it too.[/quote]

Definitely worth it. One of my favorites by far Just wouldn't be a CAG if i didnt point out a cheaper alternative :)

[quote name='fart_bubble']No shit, didn't know that actually came out[/QUOTE]

I preordered this from amazon and got it on release, but I have to warn everyone that it is nowhere near as good as the first volume. Expect a LOT of Depeche Mode, and Bjork. The Johnathan Glazer DVD is the best of volume 2, but not much on the others DVDs seem to stand out to me.

Don't get me wrong, I love collecting DVDs of music videos, but this one is substantially worse than the first volume. I would strongly encourage anyone considering it to look through the track listing to make sure they like enough of the bands to warrant the price.

Mildly related, I have the first volume, but after buying the Chris Cunningham DVD separately, I bought the box set, which came in normal DVD sized cases, with the books separate. It all fits in the box, but the fatter DVD case that the separate Cunningham DVD came in, as well as all of volume 2, looks more appealing on my shelf. This is a bit odd, but does anyone know if Director's Label offered to sell the fatter DVD cases separately? I'm a whore for an organized collection, and the different sized cases throw me off.

[quote name='cybersalad']Read or Die box set.
And umm........some other stuff.

This is the time of year when I buy a bunch o' box sets to watch on my elliptical. Cheaper than a health club! :)[/QUOTE]

You can get the series bundle cheaper at Rightstuf, ya know. So unless you really want an artbox to go with...

[quote name='Graystone']I'm honestly buying little to nothing. Most of the stuff on my wishlist I've rented from bb online. So I only have about 3 or 4 things on my wishlist. Plus I've have all the boxsets I want.

The only thing I'm debating is buying some Simpson's boxsets. I had a few then sold them all. Thinking about picking some back up.[/quote]

I was just @ Target and they had they had quite a few of the Simpson's boxsets down to $19.99 - temp price cut. I'm going to go back and pick up Season 7 - I didn't realize I'm missing that one.

Ah, thanks for the tip! Yeah I don't care about art boxes and stuff like that.

I think I'm going to buy the Prisoner collection box thingo though. I've been digging through their box sets to see what else I want. Can't find much though. Maybe some Gundam box sets if they have 'em.

[quote name='Maklershed']I was just checking stuff out and noticed there's an abnormally high quantity of dvds that are out of stock. Including my main target this year .. Planet Earth complete set.[/QUOTE]

Not unusual at all. You still get the sale price, as long as the movie has been released (ie not a preorder). You just have to wait a little longer to receive it (sometimes).

I have noticed a disturbing trend of movies in release being listed as preorders, but never during this sale, yet.

Now that they support more than just movies, I'm going for the graphic novels: Claymore, Dragon Head, Juror 13 and the like. If I can get enough money, I will probably also pick up FF7 AC Limited Edition and the Samurai Champloo boxset.

[quote name='spaztic']is the 20% off DVDs only? or is it books and CDs too?[/QUOTE]

No way to tell- the books and CDs got added since the last sale. This'll be the first one on the new expanded site. (Assuming they even still do it... :pray:)

I would love to go crazy at this sale and have indeed saved up, but I think I'll be pushing it back to the November sale because I won't even be around when this one takes place probably. Going out of town/on an extended business trip/vacation. I still have plenty to watch, but I've actually been doing pretty decent on catching up on what I haven't watched.

[quote name='munch']I'm just going to order a couple of Criterions. I've already preordered Army of Shadows and The Third Man at Gamestop thanks to their trade in 4 get 1 free deal. I"ll probably pick up the other two for May since that month is so kick ass.[/quote]

Was just skimming this thread, but what trade 4 get 1 deal? and since when did Gamestop start selling new movies and in particular, Criterions?

Like I just said, I'd love to snag some boxsets, a couple tv series, some criterions, and some other odd-n-ends that I need catching up/filling up on, but I most likely won't be here when the sale kicks off, unless it starts in July/mid June than I might make it.

[quote name='Blade']Now that they support more than just movies, I'm going for the graphic novels: Claymore, Dragon Head, Juror 13 and the like. If I can get enough money, I will probably also pick up FF7 AC Limited Edition and the Samurai Champloo boxset.[/QUOTE]

Claymore sounds like a good idea; I've been enjoying the fansubs of the anime mahou has been putting out.

PLEASE let books be included...

[quote name='botticus']I've been planning on picking up He-Man and She-Ra sets since they're pretty cheap, but I've held off just for this sale, hopefully the prices don't go up or out of stock. $20 is good, but $16 is better.[/quote]Add the last two Voltron sets to that, realized it would be cheaper here than on sale at BB this week.

Probably have to pass on this one. I'm broke.

But for those of you worried about things being Out Of Stock, don't be -- you can still order. In fact, sometimes it works out better that way, because you aren't charged for those items until they ship.

So if the sale ends, say June 25th, like it did last year (or the year prior?) and you placed an order for like 10 movies on that day, and they're all out of stock ... you're actually getting the sale price on all 10 of those a few days/weeks/months later, after the sale. If an item doesn't come back into stock until July 15th then on July 15th when they ship it, you still get the sale price, even though the sale has been over for a few weeks.

I have done this plenty of times, and it always gives me at least another week or so to get another paycheck so I can fund the order. It has always worked out really well for me.

Hopefully Rurouni Kenshin Season 2 (need it to complete the series) and Digital Video Essentials will be my only purchases, though I guarantee at least a few other items will find their way into my cart. Still trying to restrain myself from spending money (and losing horribly).

Gah, Now I am torn between buying a few games and kocking some dvds off that buy list I posted or just buy all the dvds or wait until the November sale (I have 30 boxsets to watch still) and buy all of this and the summer/fall releases I want...

Oh the choices...

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Was just skimming this thread, but what trade 4 get 1 deal? and since when did Gamestop start selling new movies and in particular, Criterions?

Like I just said, I'd love to snag some boxsets, a couple tv series, some criterions, and some other odd-n-ends that I need catching up/filling up on, but I most likely won't be here when the sale kicks off, unless it starts in July/mid June than I might make it.[/QUOTE]

I meant Moviestop. My bad.

I'll have to limit myself on this one, but am hoping to pick up a couple of things...

-Flags of Our Fathers/Letters From Iwo Jima 5 disc set
-Into the West
-Pan's Labyrinth 2 disc edition

Getting tough for me to buy dvds now with HD and/or Blu-Ray moving in and online rental services being so cheap. Thanks for the heads up though OP, it'll be nice to have my purchases planned out in advance this time.

[quote name='kevzik']Sorry to be negative, but why is saving 20% such a big deal?[/quote]

Because it's CheapAssGamers.

Yeah it's not CheapAssMovies, but we still would like to save money.

DDD is usually the cheapest place to find movies at and with free shipping on top of that, getting an extra 20% off its a good deal especially if ordering multiple items.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Nothing. Buy 2 get 1 at EBgames killed me. It's sad, I really wanted to stock up on some cult comedy sets. Strangers with Candy, Mr. Show, the like.[/QUOTE]
both of those have complete collection sets which can be had pretty cheap as compared to the season versions, plus 20 percent off, you know you want to, do it for Ronnie Dobbs, he has entitilitis

bread's done
Back