iTunes Question

mobster011

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
I wanted to clear my computer's hard drive and re-install all my programs back on to my computer. I'm hoping for a miracle here, but are all the songs I have in iTunes somehow remotely saved by Apple or would I lose everything I had in iTunes? If I do lose them, how would I go about getting them back on since I still have them on my iPod?

You could burn all your songs to a few DVDs and then simply copy those over instead of re-ripping/redownloading.

If you're talking about purchased songs from iTunes, just save them somehow and the re-authorize your computer when it's up and running again. (Store ----> authorize computer)

I think there's another way in iTunes but I've never needed to, so couldn't tell ya. If everything's on your iPod, try something like EphPod. It's a third-party program that allows you to transfer files iPod-to-PC.

But, no. Apple does not back up iTunes for you. You'll need your own storage.

If you purchased them from the iTunes store, you should be able to re-download them.

Otherwise, you'll have to back them up yourself.

You cannot re-download any files you purchased from the iTunes store without intervention from someone at Apple.

The solution is simple: Either back up your entire library to CD/DVD (iTunes 7 has this feature built-in) or make sure your entire library is on your iPod.

Either way, once you have reformatted and reinstalled iTunes, you can copy the files back to your computer (from your backup discs or from the iPod in "manual mode").

[quote name='Zing']You cannot re-download any files you purchased from the iTunes store without intervention from someone at Apple.

[/quote]

I'm pretty sure this only applies if you've authorized more than your allotment of, I believe, 5, PC's. Otherwise, like the other posters have said, you can just go into Itunes and authorize the computer and then look for purchases.

No, you cannot. You cannot re-download any purchases. Customer service at Apple has the ability to reset your download status and allow you to re-download, but iTunes is very clear that you can only download files once.

bread's done
Back