I've think I've become an action game junkie because of time

jkam

CAGiversary!
Feedback
262 (100%)
I'm not exactly sure when this happened but I think I am officially an action game junkie. I've lost the will and time to sit through an epic RPG buried by a slew of menus. I'm having a hard time playing (watching?) Metal Gear Solid 2 because of the epic and long cutscenes. If I have the time to play a game I want to play a game. I think certain games have also pushed me into this....Gears of War, RE4, and now I'm playing Ninja Gaiden. I'm already looking forward to DMC4 and NG2 as well. Anyone else find themselves in a similar situation?

Time is something I have very little of anymore, and I have no kids yet either. I cant imagine what will happen then.

I am pretty much right there with you on this.
I cant even finish Zelda etc anymore, and thats not a complicated game in reality.

Enjoy games dont rush them.
Just because time is an issue does not mean that you cant enjoy rpgs in the like.
I think you are confusing time with ADD and the inability to want to learn something.

[quote name='InuFaye']
I think you are confusing time with ADD and the inability to want to learn something.[/QUOTE]

Ditto on that.

[quote name='InuFaye']Enjoy games dont rush them.
Just because time is an issue does not mean that you cant enjoy rpgs in the like.
I think you are confusing time with ADD and the inability to want to learn something.[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily, if I leave an RPG even a simple one like Zelda for a few weeks it will take me a few hours to figure out what the heck i was even doing. You do that a few times in a row and you might as well start over.

Its not the same as ADD, its purely a time issue. I bought Zelda (DS) the week of release I have played it twice since then.

I have sealed games from two generations ago sitting on my shelf. I work, drive and have a lot crap going on. You guys must be too young or something to get it.

Snake,

I seem to be bumping into your posts here today. I'm guessing you are either early or mid 20's, and just getting out there? Just from observation (personal and other), there comes a point where you seem to run out of time, even without kids. Your working, then either going to school or dating someone, and you just run out of time. During these, you won't play anything too complicated. Most people go through this at some point.

I had a year in my life where I bought 1 game, and played through maybe 3 in total. I went weeks at a time without playing at all. But, it can calm down. You can get more time in the future, when your life settles down.

Overall, I'm not in that boat, but I can see. If you have 3 hours a week to play (and it isn't grouped together), action games make perfect sense. Those shorter games don't feel that short either if they take 2 weeks + to get through.

But, don't write off the more complicated games completely, you may enjoy them again.

This is like the cliche story of the football jock who has always been gay but he never knew that he knew he was gay. Instinctively, you already know what you like but your culture, society, friends and family shape and influence this. All my childhood friends played RPGs and nothing else so guess what I played? RPGs. But now all I play is shooting, action, action, action.

Just open up your heart and let it loose! hehe

[quote name='Snake2715']Not necessarily, if I leave an RPG even a simple one like Zelda for a few weeks it will take me a few hours to figure out what the heck i was even doing. You do that a few times in a row and you might as well start over.[/quote]

That just forgetting stuff.
Dont confuse old age with time.

I take 15 hours worth of credits, work 25 hours a week, and maintain a healthy relationship all while playing close to 20 hours worth of games a week.

I dont want to hear about not having time.

Instead of bitching on CAG, you could be using that time to game.

[quote name='InuFaye']Enjoy games dont rush them.

I don't rush through games but action games provide me with the ability to get in and out quickly so if I have a half an hour to play I can gain some ground and save.

Just because you enjoy RPGs doesn't mean everyone does. I'm not discrediting the genre by any means...I used to play RPGs religiously but after awhile I felt as if it was work to play them especially with what Snake pointed out about picking them up weeks later only to forget what the current objective is.

I'd love to know what you "learn" from your games.

[quote name='InuFaye']

I take 15 hours worth of credits, work 25 hours a week, and maintain a healthy relationship all while playing close to 20 hours worth of games a week.

I dont want to hear about not having time.

Instead of bitching on CAG, you could be using that time to game.[/QUOTE]

So basically you are still in school and work a part time job...so you have the time. Think about that one day a week where you only have one class and no work that day....yeah I don't get that. I'd be gaming right now if I wasn't at work :)

[quote name='jkam']So basically you are still in school and work a part time job...so you have the time. Think about that one day a week where you only have one class and no work that day....yeah I don't get that. I'd be gaming right now if I wasn't at work :)[/QUOTE]

Bingo!

I am at work as well. On a call.

When you get married and buy a house, you have a lot more to worry about than just a part time relationship etc. Plus when you start a career that takes 45-50 hours, Plus 30 mile drive each way. It will eat into your week pretty quick.

I do have most weekends off, but there are cars, and house to take care of, as well as other olbigations. I am only 28 and my wife just turned 29. I used to game all the time, but now I will be lucky to get 5-15 hours a month.

Am I going to play games instead of fix the brakes on the car, or get yard work done? Not going to happen. My wife went to Vegas for five days this year and I stayed and worked. I am in sales and salaried (draw) so its not overtime pay, but its a bigger bonus I get.

Either way its not a competition of I have less time than person x. I was just agreeing with Jkam and the fact that the longer games are harder to pick up when they get too complicated.

I feel you guys.
i used to be able to catch up by taking my 360 into work for long stretches, but my son (6yr) now has a couple games and enjoys it so i leave it home usually.

my car has been on jacks in the garage all week, i havent even had the time to finish her up.

I am in the same boat as the other working grownups, except in our household my wife is the hardcore gamer: loves Morrowind, Oblivion, and other games I have no patience for.

This weekend when my 360 rrod'd on me it turned out to be a gaming blessing. I fired up the old xbox for some a few levels of Super Mario Bros and a few races in HydroThunder. I had so much fun playing these oldies that I found some time the next day to play some more Mario, but this time I flexed the emulator a bit and entered some game genie cheats and used the incremental save so I could finally beat the game. With the moon jump cheat I found out what happens when you jump completely over the flag pole at the end of the level. I had no idea.

bread's done
Back