iwata is almost as looney as hamauchi

Who needs online when you have four Gameboys, four Gamelink cables and a GC to play group games with every time you can get three of your closest friends to come over and play a game with you at your convenience?

I love Nintendo, but sometimes I hate Nintendo.

I've played both online and off, and I much prefer off. You know/get to know the people a lot better. I just system link lkie mad, and then a ton of people get to play. Online is too iffy, with more than enough shaq-fuing punks to ruin many games.

Nintendo's doing just fine without it. If Nintendo started offering online games, its not like I'd buy into it - I still didn't bother with Xbox Live or a PS2 ethernet adapter.

Online gaming sounds great in theory, but I just can't bring myself to pay money to interact with strangers. If I really want to play a multiplayer game, I'll wait until I can get my buddies over. Until then, there's plenty of single player games for me to explore.

From a business perspective, though, I think Nintendo is being a little shortsighted by not building in online support to games like Mario Party and Mario Kart, or Metroid Prime 2 for that matter.

[quote name='The-Bavis']Who needs online when you have four Gameboys, four Gamelink cables and a GC to play group games with every time you can get three of your closest friends to come over and play a game with you at your convenience?

I love Nintendo, but sometimes I hate Nintendo.[/quote]

People who can't afford GBAs and cable links, and people with no friends. :)

he is correct. Console online gaming has a lot of ground to gain before it is decent. I would much rather play offline on consoles

Offline is the best, so far it has been doing fine. How does online improve the game so much? Unless you have no friends to get the multiplayer experience, than i see no reason for it. Really th only games that i see deserve Online are computer games or MMORPGs.

While I'm not a huge fan of online gaming( although sometimes it is quite fun) I think Microsoft is doing very well with it's X-Box Live, correct me if I'm wrong here. So wouldn't it make sense for Nintendo to support online play? People that want it will be happy and I highly doubt anyone that doesn't like online games is going to say "goddamn it there goes Nintendo again adding online support to Mario Party, I guess I won't bother getting it now even though it still has the same offline stuff as it always did". It seems like it's common sense to add support, since it appeases people that want it and doesn't hurt those that don't. I really think Nintendo is/has been shooting themselves in the foot with this whole GBA connectivity thing. As an older gamer, I've found it's practicaly impossible to convince 4 friends to come over with GBA's to play Final Fantasy or Zelda 4 Swords, yet I have hardly any trouble if I want to play a PC game online.

It costs money to add online features and even more money to maintain the servers. Since online gaming isn't profitable at the moment (not even Live), I think it is understandable that Nintendo choose not to develop games with online capabilities.

I could be refering mostly to the japanese market. It's no secret Nintendo's always concidered their home market more important.

You know what I find telling about online gaming is just how many antisocial types there are, I rarely ever play with people I dont already know from outside of the game. It makes me wonder why I'm playing it if it's always going to be like yahoochat with random people comming in, yelling "m/23/ky" and then leaving 5 seconds later just because no one said hi to them. Internet gaming is a niche market because of the disparity in connections and the occasional lack of courtesy that abounds.

There are a lot of good reasons to and not to bother with internet games, yeah it'd be nice for the option to be open on every one of them (like F-Zero) but it still costs money to implement and to use and I think he just realizes that with their current standing it's not always worth the effort.

[quote name='yellowaznboy']It costs money to add online features and even more money to maintain the servers. Since online gaming isn't profitable at the moment (not even Live), I think it is understandable that Nintendo choose not to develop games with online capabilities.[/quote]

Are you sure it isn't profitable? I'm about 100% sure Everquest is considered online gaming, and I'm 100% sure it's profitable. Also I'd imagine Live is profitable as well, or if it's not it is very soon to be, because with over 1 million subscribers you'd think they'd be turning a profit. Also even if for some reason it's not, I'm sure the cost of installing the infrastructure is probably the reason, now with 1 million people paying a month, and with that number most likely growing, I imagine Live will turn a profit soon. Also you can't tell me Nintendo wouldn't like to have those 1 million subscribers.

[quote name='jimbodan'][quote name='yellowaznboy']It costs money to add online features and even more money to maintain the servers. Since online gaming isn't profitable at the moment (not even Live), I think it is understandable that Nintendo choose not to develop games with online capabilities.[/quote]

Are you sure it isn't profitable? I'm about 100% sure Everquest is considered online gaming, and I'm 100% sure it's profitable. Also I'd imagine Live is profitable as well, or if it's not it is very soon to be, because with over 1 million subscribers you'd think they'd be turning a profit. Also even if for some reason it's not, I'm sure the cost of installing the infrastructure is probably the reason, now with 1 million people paying a month, and with that number most likely growing, I imagine Live will turn a profit soon. Also you can't tell me Nintendo wouldn't like to have those 1 million subscribers.[/quote]

Oops, I meant for consoles. Online gaming for consoles isn't profitable at the moment. At E3, SCEA president and CEO Kaz Hirai even said, "We must evolve the experience of online gaming. Non-revenue-generating online gameplay is the norm but not for long." Read into that however you want.

bread's done
Back