James Cameron: Avatar (Teaser Trailer)

I'm a little disappointed. From everything I've heard about this, this was supposed to be some super advanced CG. I expected the aliens and creatures to look extremely real, but they look CG. I guess I have to reserve my opinions until I see the preview in IMAX 3D tomorrow.

So is this the trailer that is "sold out"? I remember reading that this will be the best movie with no story. From looks of things the preview didn't look bad. I just would like to know the story and I'm thinking they are building this up to much. However it is james Cameron so it has to be good. Everything or most of what he has done has been realy good.

The sold out thing is 17 minutes of the movie... I don't think they should of let such ridiculous statements get out about how this will revolutionize movies and nearly lifelike cg... that bar is way to high...

I didn't know it was 17 minutes of the movie. I thought it was only the trailer. I find it funny that it was free and they are saying it is "sold out" when all were handed out. I guess sold out is the best way to put it. I wonder where some of the places were that are going to show it. I would have liked to atleast see the list but I didn't find out about this till today and when I went to look at the list it just said sold out.

I just saw the 16 minute preview and it looks AMAZING! Forget about this stupid trailer, it doesn't do it justice. You need to see this in IMAX 3D to really get a feel for the movie, its almost a completely different experience.

Now, the "avatars" and creatures on the planet do not look photoreal to me still. But if you accept that and see it for what it is, you'll love it because this particular CG is the best yet. The thing about the CG is how realistic the animations and facial expressions are. He really did a great job with that, you believe its a person speaking and acting.

The 3D is the best I've seen, every single thing on screen is in 3 dimensions. This is not a 2D background with a 3D character, its completely 3D.

This is an extremely stylized movie. Its very beautiful and colorful, the lighting and effects look spectacular. If I had to compare it to anything, its a more colorful version of Felucia in Episode 3.

So, please don't judge the movie on the 2 minute teaser. It will be a really amazing sci-fi experience.

I really wish I could have checked this trailer out but I guess I will have to check it out in theaters when the movie comes out.

As for the 3d it should be damn good seeing how Cameron has his own 3d theater. Also I think he had something to do with the tech used to make 3d movies. I was watching something on the science channle about it and they were talking a lot about him. The camera that is used to film live action 3d is really just 2 in one and they move in and out just like a persons eyes do. Well they move closer to each other.

I saw the footage tonight... Yeah the trailer online picks awkward moments to show... but it really is beautifully done CG. I wanted to see more, and Im looking forward to this now. The facial animations are so subtle... The 3d was the most 3d movie I have seen yet using this tech. I did flinch a few times, which is not like me and really put you in the action of the scene.Though, I will probably skip 3D on the first viewing because it does get annoying after awhile.

Going to be a fun ride.

I'm thinking it's just not a great trailer. I have been looking forward to this for years. James Cameron is one of my favourite directors and he knows what he's doing.

Loads of people have been coming to him for advise when it comes to 3-D. I know Steven Spielberg, Peter Jackson spent time with him while working on Tin Tin.

The trailer makes the movie look terrible. It feels like it will turn out like some lame pocahontas rip off that just has to deliver the message western man is evil.

The tech behind this movie is great, but it just looks like one jumbo Graphics card stress test with a lame plot they threw together in 5 minutes.

[quote name='help1']Wait, so this isn't the last air bender movie?[/QUOTE]

Nope , that would be M. Night Shamalan's (sp?) The Last Airbender. Nothing to do with James Cameron's Avatar

[quote name='help1']Wait, so this isn't the last air bender movie?[/QUOTE]

Not at all. And that one is guaranteed to be awful thanks to M. Night Shymalan who has yet to make a decent movie.

I liked it. I saw the special screening at the theaters yesterday and it looks amazing but not revolutionary as some would claim it to be. As long as you get that out of your mindset it'll be a great film. There is no doubt in my mind that I'm getting it on Blu-ray when it comes out.

Here's a fun little comparison:

http://img.denihilation.com/delgovatar.html

People are also saying that Avatar is Delgo + Dances with Wolves.

[quote name='whoknows']Not at all. And that one is guaranteed to be awful thanks to M. Night Shymalan who has yet to make a decent movie.[/QUOTE]

Working with material that he didn't create , as well as being kid friendly instead of something freaky or bizarre might work too his favor. Also , to say he's never made a decent movie isn't very fair. Sixth Sense and Unbreakable were both good movies. Saying he hasn't made a good movie in several years would be more accurate.

I'm sure he'll find some way to ruin it.

And I'm standing by what I said. Tolerable is the best he's ever gotten. Nowhere near good.

M. Night has directed AND WRITTEN most (all? too lazy to look up) of his movies so far. We've established that he is a crap writer who was only a one or two hit wonder. But as purely a director, he's not bad. He's not writing Avatar: The Last Airbender as far as I know, and hopefully he doesn't have any influence on the script. If he doesn't, it should be fine.

EDIT: Ok, I looked it up. ALL of the movies he's directed thus far, he has written. Avatar will be the FIRST movie he's directed, but not written. We'll see how it goes. He's written but not directed movies before (Stuart Little), but not the other way around.

[quote name='StarKnightX']Working with material that he didn't create , as well as being kid friendly instead of something freaky or bizarre might work too his favor. Also , to say he's never made a decent movie isn't very fair. Sixth Sense and Unbreakable were both good movies. Saying he hasn't made a good movie in several years would be more accurate.[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed Signs and Lady in the Water aswell as the movies you stated, I've watched Signs probably 20 times and I still enjoy it. The Village was alright and The Happening was meh.

I would agree though that his movies seem to be getting progressively worse, but I dont hate them.

What does M. Night have to do with this movie? I looked Avatar up on IMDB.com and saw nothing about him in the list of cast and crew.

bread's done
Back