Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Freakin' finally....Valkyria Chronicles 2 PSN can now be directly download to the PS Vita.

Link

So if you bought it recently....yay for you!
I remember having to do the PS3 to Vita transfer a couple of weeks ago to actually play the game, which was kind of a hassle since my PS3 is buried under my other machines and stuff....

Good to hear you can actually download the game directly now. :)

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grT13f2EHsg[/media]
Ok, what do I need for a JP account now...? And can I use it on my US account?

Yes. Really. This is what is going to get me to actually make a JP account.

Edit: Also slowed down my figure purchases. Increase in price in general + shipping increase + falling exchange rate = I ordered maybe 2 figures in the past 3 months. Down from 3-4 a month.

Kinda surprised so many people missed it when Supplice posted it on Tuesday. Not that it really matters.

Japanese address. If you can't read, then find and use a guide.

And yes, you can use them on any account on the console you download it on.

Yes. Really. This is what is going to get me to actually make a JP account.

Edit: Also slowed down my figure purchases. Increase in price in general + shipping increase + falling exchange rate = I ordered maybe 2 figures in the past 3 months. Down from 3-4 a month.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUiLEZeIprs

I made one for that and for Future Tone...although I'm sure Future Tone is coming to the US at some point so I'm torn on if I should wait or not.

Why can't we pre-order Atelier Sophie on PSN yet? I thought you had to pre-order it on PSN to get the themes, but with it out on the 7th is that impossible now?

Why can't we pre-order Atelier Sophie on PSN yet? I thought you had to pre-order it on PSN to get the themes, but with it out on the 7th is that impossible now?
It'll likely either be a permanent order bonus for the digital copy or it'll be available for the first week or so. It's pretty uncommon for games to be up for pre-order on PSN besides popular AAA releases. Kind of surprised that Grand Kingdom is up for pre-order honestly. Either way, I'd watch to see if they screw up listing them before buying digital, unless you're going digital either way.

EDIT:

https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS/status/738793023157440513

https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS/status/738793023157440513

And for anybody curious what the digital bonus themes are:

https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS/status/732385612058202112

https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS/status/732385612058202112

Kinda surprised so many people missed it when Supplice posted it on Tuesday. Not that it really matters.

Japanese address. If you can't read, then find and use a guide.

And yes, you can use them on any account on the console you download it on.
is it still true that you can only download this through the ps4 and not on a pc? dont have a ps4 yet maybe shooting for one christmas time

is it still true that you can only download this through the ps4 and not on a pc? dont have a ps4 yet maybe shooting for one christmas time
Yes, it's not listed on the web store. I double checked just now. Here's all the currently listed free PS4 themes listed on the Japanese webstore:

https://store.playstation.com/#!/ja-jp/%E3%83%86%E3%83%BC%E3%83%9E/cid=PN.CH.JP-PN.CH.MIXED.JP-THEMES%7Cplatform~ps4%3Aprice~0-0%7Crelease_date~desc

Link won't work if you're not signed into your Japanese account on the web store prior to clicking it.

I also wanna know if I can "purchase" the free theme online. Just in case I get a PS4 at some point. Every time I try going to

https://store.playstation.com/#!/ja-jp/home/ゲーム

I always get redirected to the american site.

nvm I fixed it xp

Also for Sophie, I'm guessing they're not gonna make fancy vita themes for it. Stupid PS4 exclusive themes.

Atelier Sophie & Star Ocean I&F are spread out enough that I might pick up both.

Decent month for JRPGs! Nothing like September will be though :D/

I got my P4DAN:CE. It was in a big sturdy box with plenty of packaging bubble wrap...but the box was already crushed probably from a spider wrap. At least they tried I guess.

Also I thought the "wallpapers" was the vita theme but it's actually just wallpapers you can get off their site. Kinda lame since I wanted the theme.

Regarding Japanese themes on psn, are you able to get them on the Vita if you setup the main account to be US?

The ps4 user switch is easy, but I heard it can't be done on the Vita.

Regarding Japanese themes on psn, are you able to get them on the Vita if you setup the main account to be US?

The ps4 user switch is easy, but I heard it can't be done on the Vita.
No, you have to do a factory reset to switch accounts and use different memory cards.

That was never going to happen once I ordered it. Only the ones I don't buy show up early for everyone.
USPS is pretty damn punctual for me, with the exception of the rare Sunday delivery. Usually when I order from some place that isn't Amazon I hear at least one person say they've got their copy early while I sit here and hate the punctuality of whatever shipping company is delivering the item.

USPS is pretty damn punctual for me, with the exception of the rare Sunday delivery. Usually when I order from some place that isn't Amazon I hear at least one person say they've got their copy early while I sit here and hate the punctuality of whatever shipping company is delivering the item.
Looks like the delivery date for me is showing as Monday. The curse may have been broken.

Has anyone had any luck with NISA customer service? Every email I send just disappears down the memory hole.
Last time I had trouble getting a response from them I sent them an angry email and called them fucking idiots or something, they responded promptly and professionally to my emails after that. I think you need to do something to make your email standout to the people just skimming over them? Like don't use the subject "Package lost", spice it up with caps and hate, like "Hey, fuckING MORONS. You've LOST MY ORDER, RESPOND or I'm hitting you with a Visa chargeback".

Also, seeing as they obviously skim. Repeatedly sending them the same message a dozen times in a couple minutes may be effective. That's a last resort though, you don't want a spam filter catching you.

Has anyone had any luck with NISA customer service? Every email I send just disappears down the memory hole.
Are you emailing directly or using the contact form on their website? I used the contact form last week and heard back from them the next day.

Are you emailing directly or using the contact form on their website? I used the contact form last week and heard back from them the next day.
I've had a lack of response using the web form repeatedly for a month.

For NISA call them during their business hours. I had a very helpful person the 2 times I called.....one thing I emailed about wasn't ever fixed until I called.

I emailed them a few days ago about something and got a reply same-day. I emailed them a couple of days about something different and I'm still waiting. It's hit and miss.

I think problems related to certain pre-orders they tend to lump them together until a certain date close to the release or something. I had one sit for probably a month or more, but they did address it shortly before whatever it was released.

They don't respond to emails.

I sent them multiple emails and they ignored every one of them.

Calling them is a better option, assuming your call connects.

Often time, the call disconnects after being on hold for a few minutes.

After finally speaking to a live customer service rep in resolving the problem, they'll send you multiple emails letting you know the previously submitted email requests (from over a month period) have been resolved. duh!

I just got a 360 and was wondering if they're any good jrpg on it. And yes, I know the system is dead for jrpg, but it did have a few. I'm finally able to play Vesperia.

I just got a 360 and was wondering if they're any good jrpg on it. And yes, I know the system is dead for jrpg, but it did have a few. I'm finally able to play Vesperia.
I liked Infinite Undiscovery, Last Remnant was okay too I guess. Really enjoyed Magna Carta 2 as well

Someone else mentioned Lost Odyssey, but I just want to emphasize it - it's excellent and definitely worth your time. That and Vesperia are the 2 best JRPGs on the system IMO, but there are a few other good ones:

Eternal Sonata (but the better version is on the PS3)

Blue Dragon

Enchanted Arms

Magna Carta 2

How easy are Infinite Undiscovery and Lost Odyssey to find? I have a one but my GF owns a 360 and a one so I would like to eventually grab them for the off chance MS puts them on backwards compatibility or I steal her 360 for awhile.

Videogameplus has it. They are Canadian though. And it is the NA version of it yes(there is no such thing as a US version of games)
Isn't there US only packaging for some games tho that doesn't include French. I actually find it unusual that they haven't added Spanish yet seeing as how so many other labels include it these days like boxes of cereal.

Isn't there US only packaging for some games tho that doesn't include French. I actually find it unusual that they haven't added Spanish yet seeing as how so many other labels include it these days like boxes of cereal.
Yes and there are also Mexico specific North America games that have mostly Spanish text on the cover. To your point, there was even one recent game (that MLB $20 PS4 game) that had a different cover athlete for the Canadian release.

In addition to what others have said:

• Record of Agarest War (and Zero) - Really long and moderately difficult tactical RPG. Comparable to Fire Emblem.
  • Enchanted Arms - Another tactical RPG, but this one is really short and there isn't a ton of extra stuff aside from the story. Essentially RoAW-lite.
  • Nier - Japanese Action RPG with one of the best stories from games of that generation.
  • Resonance of Fate - Has a cool and unique battle system, I personally wasn't a huge fan though.
  • The Final Fantasy XIII trilogy (a lot of people don't like these games, so approach with caution).
  • South Park: Stick of Truth: Not Japanese stylistically at all, but the combat and mechanics are straight out of J-RPGs. Comparable to the Mario RPGs, but with much cruder humor.
  • XBLA Games: Half-Minute Hero, Penny Arcade Adventures 1 & 2, Phantasy Star II, Vandal Hearts
  • Games I haven't played but I've heard good things about (AKA currently backlogged): Operation Darkness, Spectral Force 3, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, Phantasy Star Universe, Star Ocean IV (the PS3 version has more content though IIRC)
  • There are also several Action RPGs that aren't exactly JRPGs but are fun nonetheless. Fable, Dragon's Dogma, Sacred 2/3 come to mind.
You probably won't like all of those, but hopefully one or two stick out. :)

How easy are Infinite Undiscovery and Lost Odyssey to find? I have a one but my GF owns a 360 and a one so I would like to eventually grab them for the off chance MS puts them on backwards compatibility or I steal her 360 for awhile.
If you're willing to look around at several game stores, you'll almost definitely be able to find one. Not every Gamestop has 10 copies (a la CoD), but they are out there. You can always use Gamestop's "Find in Store" option or whatever it's called. All this is assuming you don't want to use Amazon/eBay, though; you definitely wouldn't have problems finding them online and you'd probably get the best price that way.

Don't bother with Phantasy Star II on XBLA, much better off getting Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection which comes with the Phantasy Star and Shining Force games, Beyond Oasis, and Fatal Labyrinth.

bread's done
Back