Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
My thoughts on the Nintendo Direct

My+love+life+the+picture+above+ilustrates+my+romantic+situation_3162ce_4938488.png

Besides the new Legend of Zelda amiibos.

Solid Nintendo Direct.

I'm sold on Yoshi Wooly World 3DS, even kind of want Youkai Watch 2 (which looks better than some other niche games coming out in September and October), Picross is good, Superstars looks alright, more info on DQ8 3DS release date, more info that action RPG....looks decent, SMTIV Sequel thing getting a nod, and I think Disney Magical World 2 looks alright. All the Amiibo stuff never interests me (though the Wooly World stuff is so cuteeeeeeee), but some good stuff coming nonetheless.  

Today's Nintendo Direct was ok, nothing really surprising. Mario Maker and Yoshi's Wooly World sound like nice additions to the 3DS. I have the Wii U versions, but I always felt like I would play those 2 even more if they were portable. Guess I'll get what I wanted.

I'll be downloading Skyward Sword and the Spirit Tracks DLC for Hyrule Warriors Legends when I get home today. I think those were my favorite announcements today.

SHMUP Sale on Steam over this weekend. The sale also seems to include twin-stick shooters as well, which aren't really classified under the normal SHMUP genre. Here's the Japanese ones I grabbed from the initial list and I'm not sure if more are on sale beyond that or not.

[customspoiler='List by Discount Percentage']
80% ($1.99) Crimzon Clover WORLD IGNITION
80% ($0.99) Danmaku Unlimited 2
75% ($3.74) Raiden IV: Overkill
75% ($2.49) Raiden III Digital Edition
75% ($2.49) REVOLVER360 RE:ACTOR
70% ($4.49) Astebreed
66% ($6.79) Mushihimesama
50% ($3.99) RefleX
50% ($25.99) DARIUSBURST Chronicle Saviours
50% ($7.49) ESCHATOS
50% ($2.99) eXceed 3rd - Jade Penetrate Black Package
50% ($9.99) Deathsmiles
50% ($1.99) GundeadliGne
50% ($3.99) KAMUI
50% ($1.49) Gunstar Heroes
50% ($2.99) SATAZIUS
50% ($3.99) QP Shooting - Dangerous!!
50% ($2.99) SUGURI
50% ($5.99) XIIZEAL
50% ($1.99) Hitogata Happa
50% ($3.99) ETHER VAPOR Remaster
50% ($2.99) eXceed 2nd - Vampire REX
50% ($1.99) Gundemonium Recollection
25% ($11.24) RefRain - prism memories -
25% ($6.74) Sora
20% ($3.99) Murasaki
20% ($3.19) Gun Wings[/customspoiler]

[customspoiler='List by Title']
70% ($4.49) Astebreed
80% ($1.99) Crimzon Clover WORLD IGNITION
80% ($0.99) Danmaku Unlimited 2
50% ($25.99) DARIUSBURST Chronicle Saviours
50% ($9.99) Deathsmiles
50% ($7.49) ESCHATOS
50% ($3.99) ETHER VAPOR Remaster
50% ($2.99) eXceed 2nd - Vampire REX
50% ($2.99) eXceed 3rd - Jade Penetrate Black Package
20% ($3.19) Gun Wings
50% ($1.99) GundeadliGne
50% ($1.99) Gundemonium Recollection
50% ($1.49) Gunstar Heroes
50% ($1.99) Hitogata Happa
50% ($3.99) KAMUI
20% ($3.99) Murasaki
66% ($6.79) Mushihimesama
50% ($3.99) QP Shooting - Dangerous!!
75% ($2.49) Raiden III Digital Edition
75% ($3.74) Raiden IV: Overkill
50% ($3.99) RefleX
25% ($11.24) RefRain - prism memories -
75% ($2.49) REVOLVER360 RE:ACTOR
50% ($2.99) SATAZIUS
25% ($6.74) Sora
50% ($2.99) SUGURI
50% ($5.99) XIIZEAL[/customspoiler]

Both Cave SHMUPs, Mushihimesama and Deathsmiles are at historical lows, which are good for the price. Raiden isn't a bad choice either.

All these DQ announcements and they still won't announce DQ Heroes 2 for the USA. I don't want to import it, c'mon already SE.
Squeenix probably doesn't want it to steal DQ Builders' thunder, so maybe they'll announce it in November for a Spring 2017 release?

Squeenix probably doesn't want it to steal DQ Builders' thunder, so maybe they'll announce it in November for a Spring 2017 release?
That's a very logical viewpoint on the matter and probably correct. I'm just too antsy since they haven't said anything about it for so long.

I'm not entirely sold on DQVIII.  The original was a masterpiece, and still is to this day, I just don't know what the 3DS can add.

Now, DQVII looks jaw-droppingly better than the original, which was already great in it's own right, so it's a must buy.

So with the announcement of Mario Maker 3ds.. And its still reasonably close as far as being the 30th anniversary of Mario..
Does anybody feel like Mario Maker could be bundled with a Small Black N3ds system similar to this Mario 30th Anniversary Edition Japan got..?

re:Shiren

Just lost all of my tagged equipment and inventory by simply starting the Heavenly Lake postgame dungeon.  There's nothing at the lost and found.  Is it seriously all gone for good?  Time to quit this game if so.  Unbelievable. 

The guy tells you that you lose your inventory when you start the dungeon.  But with the previous three tutorial NPCs that say that, you get you your stuff back when you exit.  So you're trained to believe that is what's going to happen. He also doesn't even remind you of inventory loss on subsequent tries. The final straw is that your weapon and shield aren't back at the sentry lost&found like usual.  40 hours and not a single mistake.  Then my only upgraded weapon and shield are gone forever.  Seriously, terrible
shaq-fu%2196.gif
ing game design.

Just lost all of my tagged equipment and inventory by simply starting the Heavenly Lake postgame dungeon. There's nothing at the lost and found. Is it seriously all gone for good? Time to quit this game if so. Unbelievable.

The guy tells you that you lose your inventory when you start the dungeon. But with the previous three tutorial NPCs that say that, you get you your stuff back when you exit. So you're trained to believe that is what's going to happen. He also doesn't even remind you of inventory loss on subsequent tries. The final straw is that your weapon and shield aren't back at the sentry lost&found like usual. 40 hours and not a single mistake. Then my only upgraded weapon and shield are gone forever. Seriously, terrible
shaq-fu%2196.gif
ing game design.
Well I hope your stuff isn't gone but it doesn't sound good.

Just lost all of my tagged equipment and inventory by simply starting the Heavenly Lake postgame dungeon. There's nothing at the lost and found. Is it seriously all gone for good? Time to quit this game if so. Unbelievable.

The guy tells you that you lose your inventory when you start the dungeon. But with the previous three tutorial NPCs that say that, you get you your stuff back when you exit. So you're trained to believe that is what's going to happen. He also doesn't even remind you of inventory loss on subsequent tries. The final straw is that your weapon and shield aren't back at the sentry lost&found like usual. 40 hours and not a single mistake. Then my only upgraded weapon and shield are gone forever. Seriously, terrible
shaq-fu%2196.gif
ing game design.
Jesus, I'm starting to feel kind of glad I passed on it for now. Everyone seems to have nothing but sorrow and rage in their stories about this game

shaq-fu%2196.gif
ing game design.
Jesus, I'm starting to feel kind of glad I passed on it for now. Everyone seems to have nothing but sorrow and rage in their stories about this game
I agree with you, man. After getting married, I had to be a little more choosy with what games I bought. So I do a great deal more research. I've never been a fan of rogue-like dungeon crawlers, and after playing Sorcery Saga, and all I read about Shiren, I am extremely glad I passed on this and the LE I was eyeing. Losing your gear due to a stupid mistake or huge boss is one thing, but losing it due to crappy game mechanics....that's a level of rage quit where you never play the game again.

Pretty sure that the Japanese one had a reversible cover with this one on the flip side. I tend to prefer more simplistic ones like the original Japanese one. Doesn't matter to me though as it'll likely be a discount digital title for me at some point.

I also don't really mind Japanese games such as Shiren taking away equipment so long as they are clear and upfront about it. However I find that Japanese developers seem to like to add in unnecessary complexity or just refuse to add in simple quality of life changes that would make everything flow much smoother. Though I'm sure some of it is due to time/budget issues, but I feel it's more due to the Japanese mindset. In general just tend to find that Japanese games are far worse than Western when it comes to that. Bonus points to it if everything is tied into lore ala Falcom.

I like roguelikes, but less of a fan of Japanese ones mostly for the reasons stated above. They tend to be just so archaic, slow and unwieldy compared to many western roguelikes. Dungeons of Dredmor was quite fun and Crypt of the Necrodancer is awesome. Both are very different games within the genre though.

Does NeoGAF remove posting privileges from inactive posters or something?  I am going through an endless Log In loop on their forums. 

I don't even care that I might have to play the Urotander song 50-100 times to get all of the modules attached to it. Holy cow, what a catchy song.

I came across this video earlier today (Technically nabbed from NeoGAF) and does a pretty really good job of explaining why I like the Trails series so much:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaN2G-AEd9Q

There are a couple images he uses for his video that are somewhat spoilery for Trails of Cold Steel in the latter part of the video. However the video doesn't serve much of a purpose so you could just listen to the audio. There are one or two factually incorrect things he said in the video due to when the audio was recorded versus when it was released (yesterday). They're just inconsequential things about Tokyo Xanadu localization. I figured I'd throw this out there while Cold Steel is on sale at 50% still.

I guess the only other thing I should warn is that he does shit a bit about some other games rather than providing proper context and explanation. Also not really a fan of the clickbait title, but eh.

Couldn't really find any Japanese games releasing on PC this week. At least none that had an actual release date and not a tentative release. Hell, half of the console releases listed this week aren't even really Japanese. Qurare is also releasing this week on the PS4 but it's free-to-play, so I won't be listing it below. Well that and it had a bit of an 'early access' to it up until now so to speak.

Other stuff that released without warning last week that are all on PC/Steam:
- This World Unknown (Visual Novel)
- Gochi-Show! (Learn Cooking)
- The Multidimensional Underwear Drawer (Visual Novel)
- THE LAST BLADE (Fighter)

Weekly Releases (September 4th - September 10th)

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice

- Platform(s): 3DS
- Genre: Visual Novel / Adventure
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A

- Comments: Digital only.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II

- Platform(s): PS3, Vita
- Genre: RPG

- Comments: Has data import from the previous game (Here's my PS3 save if you desire). The previous game is also 50% digitally until the Steptember 13th store update along with some temporarily free DLC. Costume DLC carries over as well. [customspoiler='Now all that's left is to wait...']
dawn_of_the_second_day_wallpaper_by_rapture_shadow-d5kutcp.png
[/customspoiler]

Touhou Genso Rondo: Bullet Ballet

- Platform(s): PS4
- Genre: Twin-Stick Fighting
- Online: 2-Player Versus

- Comments: The game is not a SHMUP in that you go around shooting a bunch of flack to get to a boss on the side of the screen to take on. This is literally fighting a SHMUP-like boss on a single non-scrolling screen using twin-stick shooter controls.

Dragon Fantasy: The Black Tome of Ice

- Platform(s): PS4, Vita
- Genre: RPG

- Comments: This is just for the physical release by Limited Run Games. Been available digitally for some time.

Oceanhorn: Monster of the Uncharted Seas

- Platform(s): PS4, XB1
- Genre: Action-Adventure

- Comments: Digital only. Plays a bit like a Link to the Past. Previously released on PC. Not really Japanese.

Stardust Galaxy Warriors: Stellar Climax

- Platform(s): XB1
- Genre: SHMUP

- Comments: Digital only. Has local multiplayer. Not really Japanese, but inspired by. Also on the PC.

Past Releases

August 28th - September 3rd

August 21st - August 27th

August 14th - August 20th

August 7th - August 13th

July 31st - August 6th

EDIT: Fixed Dragon Fantasy comment to be about its physical release.

Thank you to everyone who voted.

as for ni no kuni 2 meh I don't care how hard level 5 works the first game just wasn't good enough for me to consider getting the second.

Wake up, double-check my two UPS shipments and see this on one of them:

tocsups.png

If I wasn't already planning on buying a second copy digitally to play, I'd be pretty pissed. Just my luck though that it happens on one of my most anticipated games.

bread's done
Back