Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was a bit disappointed that Tokyo Xanadu doesn't.
With Tokyo Xanadu, It's because the Vita version is the inferior version. The PS4 version is an enhanced version that the Vita never received and vice versa. Here's what the eX+ editions (PS4/PC) have over the Vita version:

- 60FPS (Vita was 30FPS with drops) at 1080p. (PS4 version, obviously. PC will depend on the port quality)

- New Playable Character.

- New Side Stories for the main cast other than the MC, Kou.

- After Story that's available post-game which takes place several months after the main story.

- New dungeons.

- New music.

- Changes to Asuka character after she unlocks something via story.

- Re-balances difficulty across the board. (Vita was considered 'too easy', even on the hardest difficulty)

- Adds a new, harder difficulty, Calamity.

- Adds Time Attack & Boss Rush modes.

i'am thinking of picking up exist archive, but im not sure which platform.
the ps4 version gets nagged as graphically underutilized while the vita has frame drops? but is there really any visual difference?
id probably play it more on pstv if i get it on vita.
also which got the smaller print run?

Now that its coming out for Switch I'm wondering if the WiiU version of Bloodstained will get canned.
Hopefully not.

Speaking of the Wii u ... Anyone know what happened to that Wii U thread that got started about 2 days ago?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Ugh, I ordered G Generation during the free shipping and decided not to pay it right away since it was a backorder and they canceled my order and raised the price now that it came in stock. Why didn't I just pay. Gonna contact their customer support to see if they'll reactivate my order.

How can you just "not pay" on play-asia? They took my money and did everything after my order, without me needing to do anything.
If you choose paypal but close the screen before completing the paypal payment, they just send you an email saying you have an open order awaiting payment. You can click in your orders page to go to a paypal payment screen. I left it in that state for a week.

Koei Tecmo will extend the 10% discount on Atelier Firis for a week on Steam. As long as Steam doesn't charge tax in your state, that's a little under $3 difference for a GCU PS4 copy from Best Buy (which no longer has bonus DLC listed.)

Koei Tecmo will extend the 10% discount on Atelier Firis for a week on Steam. As long as Steam doesn't charge tax in your state, that's a little under $3 difference for a GCU PS4 copy from Best Buy (which no longer has bonus DLC listed.)
Argh, I'm so mad! I prepurchased yesterday night because why not. Now I have to file a refund, wait for the refund to get approved and then reorder the game. Then my refund might take up to a week to get put back on my account.

I did things completely backwards. I should've payed for gundam yesterday and waited today to pay for Firis. I went from 2 games to no games in 2 seconds flat.

On another note, my SRWV came in the mail yesterday. Having fun with that. I did notice some aliasing in the vita version during the animations.

What was the bonus DLC? Wasn't really paying attention since there wasn't a LE this time around to make me pre-order.

What was the bonus DLC? Wasn't really paying attention since there wasn't a LE this time around to make me pre-order.
"Pre-ordering at Amazon, Best Buy, EB Games or GameStop in North America, or pre-ordering at participating retailers in Europe, unlocks two adorable costumes that provide Firis with useful bonuses: the “Resort Vacation” costume which increases the chances of finding high quality materials for use in synthesis, and the “Wonderland” outfit which decreases the time it takes for synthesis and fast traveling between landmarks!"

http://gematsu.com/2017/01/atelier-firis-details-synthesis-system-pre-order-bonuses-announced

i checked amazon, and it doesn't list the bonus as well...

"Pre-ordering at Amazon, Best Buy, EB Games or GameStop in North America, or pre-ordering at participating retailers in Europe, unlocks two adorable costumes that provide Firis with useful bonuses: the “Resort Vacation” costume which increases the chances of finding high quality materials for use in synthesis, and the “Wonderland” outfit which decreases the time it takes for synthesis and fast traveling between landmarks!"

http://gematsu.com/2017/01/atelier-firis-details-synthesis-system-pre-order-bonuses-announced

i checked amazon, and it doesn't list the bonus as well...
According to the KT rep on steam, they will include the DLC with the PC purchase. Just claim it in the first week.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/527290/discussions/0/135510669602804182/#c135510669603854129

I don't have any particular objection to them mixing things up a little with FFVII's combat system. While I have plenty of nostalgia for the original, its battle system was not the best or most sophisticated. In many ways it doesn't stack up nearly as well as a lot of other elements from the game. Having them go back and incorporate a more modern combat system doesn't sound like such a bad idea to me. Also, I seem to recall a lot of people speaking pretty highly of FFXV's combat system, so using that as a base seems like a pretty good idea. (especially if the two games share an engine, which I believe is happening)

FFVII is a beloved fan-favorite. But it wasn't perfect. There are plenty of areas where it could have been refined and/or improved. I have no objection to them tinkering with it a bit. Better to cherry-pick the elements that did work, and experiment with everything that didn't. The end result will be a game that feels far more fresh, and will provide a new experience while still calling back to some of the better aspects of the original.

I do hope they don't get rid of the exploration. But FFXV apparently has plenty of open-world exploration, so it's likely these elements will make their way into the remake as well.

i'am thinking of picking up exist archive, but im not sure which platform.
the ps4 version gets nagged as graphically underutilized while the vita has frame drops? but is there really any visual difference?
id probably play it more on pstv if i get it on vita.
also which got the smaller print run?
Did you actually want to play it? There seems to be mixed messages in your question. You said you're going to most likely play it on the PSTV, so why bother with the Vita version? If I had to recommend which to actually get to play, I'd say the PS4. From what I read, the vita version's performance is pretty terrible that actually kills the enjoyment. And I'm pretty sure the visuals won't be any worse than the Vita. Minus a few select titles where the Vita versions run well, the PS4 version of games are usually better.

However, it also seems like you rather go with what's rare and wants someone to talk you out of the Vita version? I'm pretty sure Vita versions of anything these days would have a smaller print run. So it may "possibly" hold more value in the future. However, currently, the PS4 trades in for more, at least at Gamestop.

When it first released, it would have been a harder question since there was like a $20 difference? Now they are similar in price, at least on Amazon. So really, if you want to play it, go for PS4. If you care about rarity, it's a toss up, but Vita is most likely the winner.

I do hope they don't get rid of the exploration. But FFXV apparently has plenty of open-world exploration, so it's likely these elements will make their way into the remake as well.
Well we can all but expect there to be zero exploration until the second or third "chapter." It being episodic means putting things like open world exploration on the backburner. I'm assuming the first chapter will be Shinra and will end right when you leave Midgar.

Chapter two will probably get you as far as Cosmo Canyon or Rocket Town, and the rest will fall into place by not giving you any real choice. I doubt you'll be able to breed a black/gold chocobo at the start and go to later parts of the game that don't exist yet.

Nier Automata is on GMG for $49.29.

Actually I noticed Firis is on GMG also. Better discount than Steam.

I feel like I forgot that GMG exists because they weren't selling niche japanese games for a long time.

Since they sadly abandoned the Vita, hoping for a Switch port so I can play it on the go.
I don't blame them for doing so, but I would have loved to have them all on the shelf as a trilogy. Hopefully the PS4 will allow them to add more to the story and maybe have some insight into the Crossbell storyline.

As someone who can't stand most turn-based gameplay anymore, I'm glad they went this route. Though I can only imagine how much more refined the action-based combat would be if handled by Platinum or Team Ninja, rather than Square Enix. I'd much rather see FF VII play like Metal Gear Rising, Ninja Gaiden, or Nioh, instead of Kingdom Hearts.
I still love turn-based games, but times-a-changing. If I want turn based, I have plenty of games that will give me that nostalgia.

Aaaand the Atelier Firis PC port is using low resolution textures that makes everything look blurry. Why the fuck is it not using the crisp higher resolution PS4 textures, Koei Tecmo? How the fuck does that even happen? Why is the game download 35GB, twice the size of the PS4 version, with shit like this?

/rant

Aaaand the Atelier Firis PC port is using low resolution textures that makes everything look blurry. Why the fuck is it not using the crisp higher resolution PS4 textures, Koei Tecmo? How the fuck does that even happen? Why is the game download 35GB, twice the size of the PS4 version, with shit like this?

/rant
So refunded?

Well at least I don't have to be worried about God Wars tempting me this month....guess i'm skipping a lot of stuff though new Nier is tempting.

As someone who can't stand most turn-based gameplay anymore, I'm glad they went this route. Though I can only imagine how much more refined the action-based combat would be if handled by Platinum or Team Ninja, rather than Square Enix. I'd much rather see FF VII play like Metal Gear Rising, Ninja Gaiden, or Nioh, instead of Kingdom Hearts.
I'm actually the complete opposite, i would of rather had turn based, but im not completely opposed to action rpg. I am actually glad square is doing it instead of platinum, i hate most of their games, especially mgs rising. team ninja is cool thou.

So, uh. I bought that $50 Steam Gift Card for $45 on Amazon's Lightning Deal the other day. I received a pack of 10 $50 cards...

Did you actually want to play it? There seems to be mixed messages in your question. You said you're going to most likely play it on the PSTV, so why bother with the Vita version? If I had to recommend which to actually get to play, I'd say the PS4. From what I read, the vita version's performance is pretty terrible that actually kills the enjoyment. And I'm pretty sure the visuals won't be any worse than the Vita. Minus a few select titles where the Vita versions run well, the PS4 version of games are
I'm actually going to play it, I just wanted to know if graphically the vita looked like crap or compared to ps4, i don't mind long load times. this game just seems like a handheld type game rather than console to me but I don't want to short change myself on the experience.
and the rarity question was just for curiosity since both are priced similarly which is weird.
thanks for your input.

Also, I seem to recall a lot of people speaking pretty highly of FFXV's combat system, so using that as a base seems like a pretty good idea. (especially if the two games share an engine, which I believe is happening)

I haven't played a lot of FF games, in fact I haven't played any of the turn-based ones yet, and it's also been a while since I played the 13 trilogy, but I felt that Lightning Returns had one of the best combat systems, better than that of FFXV. My gripe with FFXV is that it feels too passive, like you are watching the game play itself. Even after you unlock most of the active techniques like airstepping and ground pounce, you barely have any control over the battle itself, outside of a few warpstrikes and dodges. I mean, link strikes and blind strikes seem to happen on it's own, techniques are like long spells, and parries feel like quick time events. Most of the damage done is just holding on to the O button (or maybe I'm playing the game wrong.)

Lightning Returns felt more like a 4 move turn-based rpg, with the ATB bar, and stiff movement. There was more control over the battle selecting which moves you want (until end-game where you basically had the best AOE spells that target the enemies weakness.)

Another gripe with FFXV was constantly having to go back to the main menu during the battle to reselect your loadout like elemancy or other weapons. They could've easily mapped another set of 4 weapons to holding down the L2 button. Which is useless except for the occasional random summon (I still don't know how to summon when you want to, is there a hidden bar somewhere you have to fill?) Never tried Wait-Mode, but if it's like Dragon Age Inquisition, then it probably serves the game well.

My dream Final Fantasy battle system is a combination of XV and XIII. Keep the movement options like jumping, rolling, dodging and warpstrikes. Also keep the O button melee attacks, but make them much weaker. Then replace the technique bar with a spells/special move bar that uses the XIII ATB system, which fills up automatically, but faster if you use attack with the O button. You can then use special moves once the ATB gauge reaches the mp cost point, and even "cancel" the melee strike strings into Thundara or something, like in fighting games. The enemy uses the ATB bar too, so it feels like it's turn-based, but with melee combat in between.

The open-world exploration is nice, but they ruined it with the later chapters, and too many of the areas look the same. They also separated the largest/best city in the game into it's own little map, so the open world feels kind of disconnected because of that. Too many damn forests in the game too.

Sorry for the wall of text and rant and daydreaming.

Nice dude, now I wonder if I should have done the same and bought one...Summer steam sale is gonna be great for ya!
Yeah, now I just need the willpower to hold out. I think the next sale is the Easter/Spring sale? Which is short and not particularly big.

I figured since it's essentially a free $5 as I'll eventually spend the money I Steam, I may as well. I do feel a little guilty, but since they're not a mom and pop store...

I've just accepted the FF series that I loved is gone and not coming back. As a result I'm now much more invested in things like Bravely Default, Dragon Quest, etc. 

Woah I knew the figure from the nier black box edition was tiny but I still went holy shit that's tiny when I opened it up. Bless whoever ends up buying that from me.

So the director for Nier Automata, Yoko Taro is going to be at a panel on Sunday at Pax East this year. I'm definitely going to attend that panel and get a picture taken with him and the 2B cosplayer they have there. Hopefully I can get him to autograph my Nier game as well. I'm looking forward to that.

SE_pax_east_2017_east_newsletter_05.jpg

So the director for Nier Automata, Yoko Taro is going to be at a panel on Sunday at Pax East this year. I'm definitely going to attend that panel and get a picture taken with him and the 2B cosplayer they have there. Hopefully I can get him to autograph my Nier game as well. I'm looking forward to that.
Oh shit I better bring my artbook

First Persona 5 English DLC scheduled:
http://atlus.com/persona5/dlc.html
Persona 3 Costume and BGM Special Set
Date: April 11, 2017
Price: $6.99

Persona 4 Costume and BGM Special Set

Orpheus and Orpheus Picaro Set
Price: $2.99

Thanatos and Thanatos Picaro Set

Izanagi and Izanagi Picaro Set

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona Costume and BGM Special Set
Date: April 18, 2017

Persona 2 Costume and BGM Special Set

Kaguya and Kaguya Picaro Set

Persona 5 Swimsuit Set
Date: April 25, 2017
Price: FREE

Shin Megami Tensei IV Costume and BGM Special Set

Persona 4: Dancing All Night Costume and BGM Special Set

Catherine Costume and BGM Special Set
Date: May 2, 2017

Devil Summoner Raidou Kuzunoha Costume and BGM Special Set

First Persona 5 English DLC scheduled:
http://atlus.com/persona5/dlc.html
Persona 3 Costume and BGM Special Set

Persona 4 Costume and BGM Special Set

Orpheus and Orpheus Picaro Set

Thanatos and Thanatos Picaro Set

Izanagi and Izanagi Picaro Set

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona Costume and BGM Special Set

Persona 2 Costume and BGM Special Set

Kaguya and Kaguya Picaro Set

Persona 5 Swimsuit Set
Price: FREE

Shin Megami Tensei IV Costume and BGM Special Set

Persona 4: Dancing All Night Costume and BGM Special Set

Catherine Costume and BGM Special Set

Devil Summoner Raidou Kuzunoha Costume and BGM Special Set
I hope they do some sort of mega pack for the DLC like XSeed had for Trails of Cold Steel 2.

They did a pretty good job with action based combat in ff13-3. Refine that and I'd play it.

I haven't played a lot of FF games, in fact I haven't played any of the turn-based ones yet, and it's also been a while since I played the 13 trilogy, but I felt that Lightning Returns had one of the best combat systems, better than that of FFXV. My gripe with FFXV is that it feels too passive, like you are watching the game play itself. Even after you unlock most of the active techniques like airstepping and ground pounce, you barely have any control over the battle itself, outside of a few warpstrikes and dodges. I mean, link strikes and blind strikes seem to happen on it's own, techniques are like long spells, and parries feel like quick time events. Most of the damage done is just holding on to the O button (or maybe I'm playing the game wrong.)

Lightning Returns felt more like a 4 move turn-based rpg, with the ATB bar, and stiff movement. There was more control over the battle selecting which moves you want (until end-game where you basically had the best AOE spells that target the enemies weakness.)

Another gripe with FFXV was constantly having to go back to the main menu during the battle to reselect your loadout like elemancy or other weapons. They could've easily mapped another set of 4 weapons to holding down the L2 button. Which is useless except for the occasional random summon (I still don't know how to summon when you want to, is there a hidden bar somewhere you have to fill?) Never tried Wait-Mode, but if it's like Dragon Age Inquisition, then it probably serves the game well.

My dream Final Fantasy battle system is a combination of XV and XIII. Keep the movement options like jumping, rolling, dodging and warpstrikes. Also keep the O button melee attacks, but make them much weaker. Then replace the technique bar with a spells/special move bar that uses the XIII ATB system, which fills up automatically, but faster if you use attack with the O button. You can then use special moves once the ATB gauge reaches the mp cost point, and even "cancel" the melee strike strings into Thundara or something, like in fighting games. The enemy uses the ATB bar too, so it feels like it's turn-based, but with melee combat in between.

The open-world exploration is nice, but they ruined it with the later chapters, and too many of the areas look the same. They also separated the largest/best city in the game into it's own little map, so the open world feels kind of disconnected because of that. Too many damn forests in the game too.

Sorry for the wall of text and rant and daydreaming.
I'm actually the complete opposite, i would of rather had turn based, but im not completely opposed to action rpg. I am actually glad square is doing it instead of platinum, i hate most of their games, especially mgs rising. team ninja is cool thou.
I liked ff10 the most so turn based would be my choice as well among the main numbered titles. ff10-2 and 13-3 have some of my favorite combat systems though.

bread's done
Back