Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully they remembered the subtitles for this. I'd hate to have to watch it in it's native language and not know what's going on.
I know, right? All those extra U characters in words completely throws me off my game.

Seriously though, if a game allows for non-English dubs then it should have subs for everything. I can understand what's being said in the scenes so far without an issue, but I have to wonder how something so basic was overlooked.

God Wars was done by NISA right? I'll just assume all the good staff went off the God Wars project to work on Ys VIII because that's clearly the bigger and better game. Right? Riiiiiiiiiight?????!?!!

*shudders*

Free PSN junk this week:

God Wars: Future Past

PS4

- Additional Scenario 1

Vita

- Additional Scenario 1

Valkyria Revolution

PS4

- Scenario Pack: Vanargand Bundle

- Special Issue: Burn Field+

- Special Issue: Ragnite Shards

- Special Issue: Smash Blaze+

- Special Issue: Spinning Squall+

- Special Issue: Veteran Pouch+

- Vanargand Theme

Vita

- Scenario Pack: Vanargand

- Special Issue: Ragnite Shards

- Special Issue: Veteran Pouch+

- Special Ragnite: Burn Field+

- Special Ragnite: Heal Field+

- Special Ragnite: Shine Calibur+

- Special Ragnite: Smash Blaze+

- Special Ragnite: Spinning Squall+

- Special Ragnite: Time Flux+

- Vanargand Theme

There's also a mid-year sale going on at PSN which has a couple thread related games. Prices are very so-so. I also don't know why the free DLC for Valkyria Revolution is different between the PS4 version and the Vita version. Seems like the PS4 is missing 2 DLCs and most of the rest are just renamed.

The Vita Theme for Valkyria Revolution is not good. Just static theme, no changes to the icon or new music. The free Touhou and Danganronpa Themes are better imo

If NISA doesn't horribly botch Ys translation I will be pleasantly surprised. This is the same company who refused to ever fix the bugs in Witch and The Hundred Knight because they refused to ever admit they exist.

I googled it too but couldn't find anything either. I could have sworn that the Vanguard edition was supposed to include it.

My Valkyria Revolution Vanguard Edition was just delivered.  Woops, I guess I forgot I had ordered this one.  I don't know why I would have ordered it unless it was supposed to come with a steelbook from Best Buy tbh.  But I must have ordered it in case the other bonuses were limited. 

We get one song for the 10th anniversary. ONE. SONG. :whistle2:( Come on Sega, you can do better than that.

And Lol, I got my God Wars delivered Saturday. Only because of that discount....and I'm not sure if I'll even play it. Maybe I'll just "return" it.

My Valkyria Revolution Vanguard Edition was just delivered. Woops, I guess I forgot I had ordered this one. I don't know why I would have ordered it unless it was supposed to come with a steelbook from Best Buy tbh. But I must have ordered it in case the other bonuses were limited.
Valkyria Revolution is getting some fairly bad reviews (albeit, not Akiba's Beat bad). I have to say this: What's up with all of the Dynasty Warriors type gameplay these days? I was running through FFXV the other day when I was rearranging TVs and such, and part of me felt like, well gee I'm mashing buttons so frantically it might as well be a DW game (it's not but....for FF, come on). Still I'll probably be in for the music only. Curious where this will play:

https://youtu.be/_dnO5eLCMM0

Just in case anyone cares I will give my impressions for Dal Segno likely on Saturday or so after playing it Friday night. I'm hoping for a special game...least it will be a beautiful one at least.

My copy of Valkyria Revolution showed up on Saturday for some reason, so I spent a couple days playing it.

Combat doesn't seem that deep. I honestly feel like I can just run up to all enemies while guarding and then mash sword attacks.  I'm not that far into the game, but hopefully this changes.

Also, I don't really like the way it starts. It's like "These people were labeled as this ____ and ___ happened to them, here's what went down 300 years ago" *Flashback* 

You'll know what I mean when you start. That kind of beginning sort of ruins the fun for me.

Haha I hate flashbacks in games that become the game overall. One game in particular (Da Capo 3) had me get invested into characters and then I figure out it's just a prologue and the real game is what happened back then. The worst thing is the characters I really wanted to know are in the sequel game. Kind of pissed me off a bit as I was beginning to like the characters or at least get used to them.

At least Valkyria Revolution doesn't have a main character who looks like he was born with a birth defect where his thumb is permanently lodged up his nose.

God-Wars-Future-Past-6.jpg

I don't think I've seen any other picture for him that doesn't show it this way inside of the game itself.

At least Valkyria Revolution doesn't have a main character who looks like he was born with a birth defect where his thumb is permanently lodged up his nose.

God-Wars-Future-Past-6.jpg

I don't think I've seen any other picture for him that doesn't show it this way inside of the game itself.
That would explain why he doesn't like to fight.

Fate Grand Order should be live. I can't play it because my phone is ancient.
It isn't ancient unless it causes cancer and is bigger than your face (until the cancer makes your head bigger)

I have a flip phone I got through my job myself so I know the feeling.

I would never advocate for diminished gameplay systems. Some of that idea factory stuff is borderline shovelware. I was strictly speaking about lesser production value in the graphical department. I believe that music composition, battle systems, the writing, and the 2D character art direction make the jrpg. Too many resources are wasted on AAA graphics and environments; FF13 is the perfect example of this. Which results in so much of the bloat in a development cycle.

Basically I'm saying that graphics are overrated. Some of the best games we play are older games where graphics don't matter. Art direction and style (you know, having its own personality and the creators having a vision) also supersede technical graphics.
Its not so much graphics as it is the bad engine using them. You can have good looking games without them being expensive to make or running like crap.

ff13 tales of zestiria last remnant ect all suffer from bad design issues and over taxing their engines. Or not being properly optimized in general.

Enchanted arms or phantasy star universe look relatively similar and don't have those issues. Hell even xillia didn't have the frame rate and such issues.

I know, right? All those extra U characters in words completely throws me off my game.

Seriously though, if a game allows for non-English dubs then it should have subs for everything. I can understand what's being said in the scenes so far without an issue, but I have to wonder how something so basic was overlooked.
maybe they assumed the 10 people who would buy it understood jpn by now ;P

God Wars was done by NISA right? I'll just assume all the good staff went off the God Wars project to work on Ys VIII because that's clearly the bigger and better game. Right? Riiiiiiiiiight?????!?!!

*shudders*
You have my sympathy.

The Vita Theme for Valkyria Revolution is not good. Just static theme, no changes to the icon or new music. The free Touhou and Danganronpa Themes are better imo
Sounds like the ps4 theme. I am gonna be deleting that one as soon as I figure out how. I like the rwby theme myself. didn't know either of those had free options. Guess I must have missed them. I only have atelier sophie theme I think for vita.

If NISA doesn't horribly botch Ys translation I will be pleasantly surprised. This is the same company who refused to ever fix the bugs in Witch and The Hundred Knight because they refused to ever admit they exist.
And they even did the enhanced remake port thing of it like they do for nearly all their games.

Its not so much graphics as it is the bad engine using them. You can have good looking games without them being expensive to make or running like crap.

ff13 tales of zestiria last remnant ect all suffer from bad design issues and over taxing their engines. Or not being properly optimized in general.

Enchanted arms or phantasy star universe look relatively similar and don't have those issues. Hell even xillia didn't have the frame rate and such issues.
Not an rpg but Arcsys sure knows how to work Unreal Engine like no one else while being on somewhat of a budget.

Has NISA commented on this at all?

This seems like a result worth keeping for Fate/go.
5* Jeanne
4* Emiya
3* Cu chu, 3x Mephisto, 2x Caesar, 5 others
3x 4* CEs, 4x 3* CEs
I'm still not sure what I should be looking for; but that seems a lot better than my first roll of Vlad, guaranteed 4*, and one 3* servant.

After the DOA5 Season Pass 4 was removed last week (with it never having a sale), this week Season Pass 5 is on sale until July 25th. This one includes the playable character Mai Shiranui from The King of Fighters series.

DOA5LR Season Pass 5 + Character - $65.09 / $73.39
Season Pass 5 is one of the better ones, in my opinion.

You can stack this with a promo on PSN cards from Green Man Gaming (10% off).

I bought $70 worth for $63 so it's basically like I get a few PSN credit for free when buying Season Pass 5.

Of course you can use it for anything else on PSN, too.

Paypal only worked for me after filling out my billing address in checkout first if you're trying to pay that way.

details on 10% off PSN credit promo:

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/06/27/extra-10-off-anything-psn-store-credit-cheap/

I am really sick of rerolling in Fate/Grand Order.  11 tries and haven't seen a 5* yet.  Gotten several 5* equipment though. As soon as I get one I'm stopping.

The gacha is so expensive on this game though.  You'd never spend money on it.  I'm pretty the game will have limited F2P appeal.  All the more reason to reroll until you get a good unit.  You can always pick Hercules for your free 4* later. 

The official english Hatsune Miku twitter has been amusing recently as well if anyone is bored. Lately the trend has just been tweeting fire emojis and puns based off 'Hatsune Miku', but if you scroll back enough there was a weird phase where one fan took a photo of miku figures on top of the back of a toilet that got retweeted, and then many more fans putting their collectibles on the toilet / in the bathroom followed.

And my copy of Valkyria Revolution doesn't come till Thursday. wtf.

Wish they would just re-release VC 2 & 3. Would buy that. Just hope they don't use the presumably lackluster sales of Revolution to not make Chronicles 4, even though they promised they would still continue to work on the Chronicles series and that Revolution was just a side project for fun

Sounds like the ps4 theme. I am gonna be deleting that one as soon as I figure out how. I like the rwby theme myself. didn't know either of those had free options. Guess I must have missed them. I only have atelier sophie theme I think for vita.
The best free themes on the PS4 were from the JPN PSN store. The Senran Kagura Beach Theme, Idolmaster Platinum Stars, and the Limited Tokyo Xanadu theme. New music, changes to the icons, etc.

I saw the RWBY theme but I forgot to pick it up. I actually have a few themes, but I primarily stick with the Tokyo Xanadu theme.

And my copy of Valkyria Revolution doesn't come till Thursday. wtf.

Wish they would just re-release VC 2 & 3. Would buy that. Just hope they don't use the presumably lackluster sales of Revolution to not make Chronicles 4, even though they promised they would still continue to work on the Chronicles series and that Revolution was just a side project for fun
I'd love for them to remake 2&3 w/ the remastered VC PS4 engine, especially since we never even got 3.

I am really sick of rerolling in Fate/Grand Order. 11 tries and haven't seen a 5* yet. Gotten several 5* equipment though. As soon as I get one I'm stopping.

The gacha is so expensive on this game though. You'd never spend money on it. I'm pretty the game will have limited F2P appeal. All the more reason to reroll until you get a good unit. You can always pick Hercules for your free 4* later.
I gave up after 3 rerolls. Definitely won't spend anything on this.

Has anyone called their credit card company about Play-Asia transactions being declined and how did they fix it? I'm trying to get Capital One to fix my issue with stuff not going through.

There's an indiegala bundle for $4 for a bunch of Dharker Studio VN's and some soundtracks.

https://www.indiegala.com/dharker

I ended up grabbing it but already had a few of the games so here are some Steam keys if anyone wants a specific game I had extra of:

Sword of Asumi - Deluxe Edition

2EI3Y-AWT8H-ZGBFI

Divine Slice of Life

2CJAA-HC7MD-0VJTD

Highschool Possession

2BTVB-6H6QI-3MRWC

Beach Bounce

2BRZW-L29IZ-ZX0N9

There's an indiegala bundle for $4 for a bunch of Dharker Studio VN's and some soundtracks.

https://www.indiegala.com/dharker

I ended up grabbing it but already had a few of the games so here are some Steam keys if anyone wants a specific game I had extra of:

Sword of Asumi - Deluxe Edition

2EI3Y-AWT8H-ZGBFI

Divine Slice of Life

2CJAA-HC7MD-0VJTD

Highschool Possession

2BTVB-6H6QI-3MRWC

Beach Bounce

2BRZW-L29IZ-ZX0N9
I took Silce of Life & Beach Bounce. Thank you.

Not a Japanese game, but I have no interest in venturing any further into the mobile section of this site any more than I already have.

Futurama: Worlds of Tomorrow was released last night (on Android at least).  It's made by TinyCo and is a reskinned version of Family Guy: Quest for Stuff.  So if you played that game, you'll need to do like I did and weigh your tolerance for bad game design with your love of Futurama.  The spoiler below is for those who never played Family Guy to give you an idea of the frustrating aspects.

When I was still able to stomach FG, the biggest pain came from their events.  They would push out events with goals that were impossible.  And I don't mean "I don't want to work hard" impossible, I mean actually impossible.  Either the timeline is too short, or the requirements are too large.  Once this gets found, then there would usually be some kind of update designed to correct this, however that would do you no good if you gave up early.  Plus, it doesn't ALWAYS happen, so you can't depend on it getting fixed either.

Then there's the item system.  To unlock people, or earn things required to move along in events, you will need X amount of various items.  Those items will drop randomly from tasks with differing rarities.  They are not ever guaranteed to drop.  So that means you could spend 2 hours to get what you need, or two days to get the exact same item with the exact same rarity.

Third, there's the worker system.  In this case it's the X-1 robot.  Though at first you'll be fine with just one, you will eventually NEED to buy more with premium currency.  It's because they are required to do things.  You can't build two buildings at a time without two workers.  And though it doesn't seem like you'd need it, again you don't want to wait four hours to start a building because you might run out of time to collect everything you need from it during the event.

Finally, though not as annoying as others, they constantly push money offers out to you that are always framed as better deals than they are.  Of course that's marketing and a company wanting to make money, but it doesn't stop it from being annoying.  A great example is the common pop-up task to "Buy $5 in regular currency and get $5 in premium currency free!"  That sounds a lot better than "Hey, if you're going to buy some premium currency, why not get a meaningless amount of regular currency too?"

July's PS+ Games

:ps4: Until Dawn
:ps4: Game of Thrones
:ps3: Tokyo Jungle
:ps3: Darkstalkers Resurrection
:vita: Element4l
:vita: Don’t Die, Mr. Robot (Cross-buy with :ps4:)

Outside of Tokyo Jungle and Darkstalkers, there isn't really anything else thread related. Probably one of the weaker selections for what I typically play, but it's still somewhat decent. Junes PS+ Games are still available until next Tuesday as a reminder.

Everyone: I won't spend money on English Fate/GO.

Me: *struggles calculating a gacha allotment because Japanese Fate/GO launches this new banner tomorrow.*
DDbAB6DUQAESMbU.png
(Disgaea fans will recognize the design of one of the characters ;) )

Besides that, anyone play Dark Rose Valkyrie? I just remembered that came out earlier this month and was curious about it.

Outside of Tokyo Jungle, there isn't really anything else thread related. Probably one of the weaker selections for what I typically play, but it's still somewhat decent.
I would argue that Darkstalkers: Resurrection would be somewhat appropriate for this thread. The bright, colorful, anime-inspired visuals for the Darkstalkers series are somewhat Japan-related.

Princess Maker 3 English (no English translation before I believe) now on Steam. I actually played this in Japanese and got a lot of endings...ah I had way more time and patience back then.

20% off before July 4th and more % off if you get a bundle with previous games. I will support this and get it with my Steam summer haul.

Steam Store

I would argue that Darkstalkers: Resurrection would be somewhat appropriate for this thread. The bright, colorful, anime-inspired visuals for the Darkstalkers series are somewhat Japan-related.
For some reason I read Darkstalkers as Darksiders, which caused me to not mention it specifically.

I am really sick of rerolling in Fate/Grand Order. 11 tries and haven't seen a 5* yet. Gotten several 5* equipment though. As soon as I get one I'm stopping.
I gave up after 3 rerolls. Definitely won't spend anything on this.
Well I'm sure you two are aware, but I know some weren't. So I'll put it out there just in case. You aren't rerolling from that tutorial pull right? Supposedly that's fixed and you will never get anything good from it.

bread's done
Back