Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't believe anyone has posted this yet, and I didn't even see this on Fighting Game news websites like Shoryuken.

But Street Fighter IV Championship Edition for iOS came out today, and it's at a special price for $4.99. (Link might not work so just google it)

I know this is an outdated game with SFV out, but there's quite a few new things like 3 new characters and more to come free at a later update.

The previous version, Street Fighter IV Volt for iOS, is actually my favorite fighting game of all time. Not even Street Fighter IV, but SF4 for iOS. I've probably spent more time playing that game than I've spent playing the PS4. You can play it anywhere and anytime, and I've spent thousands of hours of train rides playing it, and it's pretty much SF4 but dumbed down so you could do combos with your thumbs. That and MvC2 for iOS and KoFXIII for Android are probably the best mobile games out there imo.

I'm even considering buying a new Iphone or something just to play it since I think my old Itouch isn't updated enough, and I currently use an Android phone. So $600+ to play one mobile game, that's how much I love the game.

Full impressions after beating all routes Dal Segno:

My impressions from earlier actually went down. All the routes were extremely predictable (except for one which I thought was very clever). The last route was ultra tacked on and I actually felt a little awkward reading it. The routes went from fairly boring and straightforward to nonsensical drama most of the time. I almost wanted to laugh at one of them with how poor it seemed to be written. I previously said this was a B tier Circus Title, but this is C tier. The routes all ended when I felt you could get more out of the story, and frankly it wasn't a very good visual novel. I rate ChronoClock above it, which was pretty average to me. Honestly it's likely better to just pass on this one and look forward to hopefully the good Princess Evangile W and Wagamama High Spec near the end of the month. Just to mention it took me about maybe 20ish hours to beat the game. It was probably more like 15. Just a big disappointment overall. 6/10

I still have one route of Princess Evangile to run (I think I only have 2 chapters left lol) so I will be ready for the fan disc.   

Your VN writeup are always nice to read nitros

Dal Segno may have disappointed you, but SMT1 sure isn't disappointing me! I'm playing through the snes version with the translation patch and it's pretty impressive seeing how much of it resembles modern SMT and even Persona, or rather, how they resemble it.

Just made it to Ginza I think I'm a bit over halfway through the game, and oh man Ginza here is even better than in Persona 5 because of this masterpiece:
https://youtu.be/hnncLWenZnw

Branching out I see...

412B7CARaNL._AC_UL320_SR230,320_.jpg

Your move Lay's

That new Naruto game looks.....eh......

In theory is seems interesting, but the gameplay seems like it would be really shallow and broken just like the Storm games were.

By the way, if anyone ordered 'Unholy Night' the Blazepro SNES fighting game that just released the prime discount didn't apply, but I had no problem sending Amazon support an email to get refunded the difference. So don't assume just because it's for an old console that it doesn't apply for the new release discount.

If anyone gets Unholy Night and plays it can they give a mini review? I'm curious as most people have been saying it looks nice but plays like a hot mess.

Also going to likely finish the Wagamama High Spec demo that's available on Steam and give some impressions. Likely going to be a more expensive VN, so want to see if I want to play it. All I know right now is that all the girls are E+ cups....well that's what VNDB told me haha.

If anyone gets Unholy Night and plays it can they give a mini review? I'm curious as most people have been saying it looks nice but plays like a hot mess.
Yeah, even at $40 I can't see myself buying it. Plus only six playable characters (from what I've heard) seems like a small amount.

XSeed also just put up a localization blog (#2) for Zwei: The Ilvard Insurrection (Zwei II) as well.

That's always good to see. Glad that XSeed is starting to get more into having actual PC ports created for games that lack them. I really hope it pays off for them as I know their lack of advertising on their PC releases coupled with 2 week prior release announcements on them didn't do well with Xanadu Next, which is a pretty damn awesome game.

Praying for Zero/Ao from the Trails series even more now.

Thank you for your sacrifice.  

Sounds like my luck when it comes to sales.  I've bought a number of games on amazon only for them to get a huge price cut the next day or in atelier ayeshas case the exact same day.

You better be quick, as the price is only going up from here. This is my favorite 3DS model hands down, and I may try and get another one as well, before the prices get to out of hand.
Prices are already out of hand.

I'm not actually expecting to get one, but if I ever get lucky enough to find one at a decent price I'll buy it.

Wonder if this will cause the plate prices to go up as well, there were a couple I had been waiting on and might need to buy now.....

Either way I'm super glad I didnt sell off one of my N3DS models, I nearly sold one but decided to hold on to it for some reason

Wonder if this will cause the plate prices to go up as well, there were a couple I had been waiting on and might need to buy now.....

Either way I'm super glad I didnt sell off one of my N3DS models, I nearly sold one but decided to hold on to it for some reason
A bunch of those plates went out of print shortly after release, so I'm sure the ones with a high demand like the Boo ones will only get worse. I just checked pricing over at Ebay, and the prices still seem to be vary from low to high, depending on the plate.

I'm guessing since this model is being discontinued, the plates must not have done that well, but lets be honest, most where pretty poorly designed. And those seem to be rather cheap, but even some of the more decent ones aren't to high(yet). This model seemed to be an after thought to NoA, as they never wanted to release it here in the first place, so our selection was always what seemed to be the throw away's from the other regions, with a handful of the nicer ones lasting not a day.

Wagamama High Spec Steam demo impressions:

First of all it's a pretty good demo. You get to meet all the main characters and see if you could possibly like the story. The graphics are pretty nice with a nice soundtrack to back it up. There is a lot of flirting, teasing, and quirks in all the characters. The main guy doesn't hide much, so he doesn't seem like a wimpy MC. The characters designs are of the somewhat silly variety as all the main characters have E+ cups I believe. They're nicely drawn and all cute or so. The story felt lighthearted though i'm sure there will be some drama like any good VN should have. I think it's more about becoming OK with who you are, and the routes will go that way. It's supposed to be at least a long VN, and i'm not sure of the 18+ content, but I think the Steam version will be OK. It hasn't been confirmed if the Denpasoft and Steam version will come out at the same time, but I hope it does, cause 18+ all the way. I am looking forward to this one.

Also I tried to play the last route of Hatsukoi 1/1. That game has such good production values and music and such. It also has such a stupid MC who just goes with the flow too much till everything explodes on him and the route becomes depressing. This game pissed me off enough with the stupid story lines and stupid main character that I literally rage quitted about 60% through the last route and uninstalled and deleted. This is a 6/10 game with 9/10 production. What a waste and I see why I dropped it before.

Now time to finish the last Princess Evangile route to be ready for the fan disc coming out.

Sorry if this has been covered, but I cannot find on Amazon to buy Drive Girls and Aksys has no information since they announced they were bringing it to North America. Any help would be appreciated.

bread's done
Back