Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I gotta say, even after going in on four previous entries in MonHun, World's probably got me pushing ahead more than any entry I've played so far.

And that's because of how atrociously adorable the felyne armor is. Gotta kill all the monsters so my cat can wear all the monsters. Oh goodness.

That feeling when you complete a hunt with less than 5 seconds left on the clock...

SVd9Z6E.jpg

jwYCs4I.png

Also, I've been noticing a lot of Japanese players lately in the CAG MHW squad.

I am addicted to MHW and I'm not even far into the story. I just farm for hours and hours on end killing monster with other people trying to level up my equip. what is this feeling

I am addicted to MHW and I'm not even far into the story. I just farm for hours and hours on end killing monster with other people trying to level up my equip. what is this feeling
This is me, I have a friend who is rank 49 and is blowing through everything and I’m still in the teen ranks just farming mats so I can have every variant of my insect glaive and it’s just so fun and addicting, I do every side mission I come across

Nice, PuyoPuyo Tetris is coming to PC later this month for $20. Looks like it'll include dual audio too.

Twitter Link

https://twitter.com/SEGA/status/960890850577326081

Looked at the Steam forums for it and man, people are bitching that it's Tetris and not Yakuza as if Sega is the reincarnation of Satan. I guess children will be children. Hopefully it does fairly well to help entice some of the other titles over to PC that Sega owns.

This is me, I have a friend who is rank 49 and is blowing through everything and I’m still in the teen ranks just farming mats so I can have every variant of my insect glaive and it’s just so fun and addicting, I do every side mission I come across
I got this game day one and I'm still rank 4. All I do is go online with other players and hunt anjorath, rathios and the other flying monster so I can get their armor.

I completed all the missions in MH and was rewarded with the rainbow armor pigment (cycles through all the colors  in unison every few seconds). It even shows it on the guild card. Anyway, every NPC in the game wants to talk to your character about it. I thought that was a nice touch. :)

The lack of endgame is really worrying, They can't release G-rank soon enough..

I'm doing the same thing. Been wasting so much time farming materials and building armor and weapon sets instead of progressing through the main scenario. Whatever though, the completion has been fun. I have bows of every element now. Might as well stop and smell the roses instead of rushing through this game.

I'm doing the same thing. Been wasting so much time farming materials and building armor and weapon sets instead of progressing through the main scenario. Whatever though, the completion has been fun. I have bows of every element now. Might as well stop and smell the roses instead of rushing through this game.
Just a heads up that there are what feels like at least three times as many armor sets in High Rank than Low Rank. The Alpha and Beta sets look different and the Alpha sets usually have more built in equip bonuses while the beta sets have more gem slots to equip your own bonuses. Higher level sets have more slots/equip bonuses than lower level sets too. Not to mention set bonuses.

Also, grayed out elements/effects on weapons are not "active" and are called "hidden elements". The only way to get them to work is to have an equipment bonus called "Hidden Elem/Ammo Up" that has three levels. The first level lets you use 33% of the elemental power while the next two are 66% and 100%. I feel like this wasn't really explained well in the game.

I completed all the missions in MH and was rewarded with the rainbow armor pigment (cycles through all the colors in unison every few seconds). It even shows it on the guild card. Anyway, every NPC in the game wants to talk to your character about it. I thought that was a nice touch. :)
Can I ask what your hours played are?

Just a heads up that there are what feels like at least three times as many armor sets in High Rank than Low Rank. The Alpha and Beta sets look different and the Alpha sets usually have more built in equip bonuses while the beta sets have more gem slots to equip your own bonuses. Higher level sets have more slots/equip bonuses than lower level sets too. Not to mention set bonuses.

Also, grayed out elements/effects on weapons are not "active" and are called "hidden elements". The only way to get them to work is to have an equipment bonus called "Hidden Elem/Ammo Up" that has three levels. The first level lets you use 33% of the elemental power while the next two are 66% and 100%. I feel like this wasn't really explained well in the game.
I just want to look fabulous.

XH0zExf.jpg

also lightning bow 2 or 3 annihilates Legiana in about 10-20min.

The Fire Emblem Warriors Special Edition has some decent prices.

About $48 with GCU:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/fire-emblem-warriors-special-edition-nintendo-switch/5897304.p?skuId=5897304

Target went a step further with $45.99 (could combine with red card to save a little more):

https://www.target.com/p/fire-emblem-warriors-special-edition-nintendo-switch/-/A-52936996#lnk=sametab

Amazon is matching Target (also an AWD 'Very Good' for $39.99)

https://www.amazon.com/Fire-Emblem-Warriors-Special-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B0756WNZ5L/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1518028461&sr=8-2&keywords=fire%2Bemblem%2Bwarriors&dpID=519YS8ROkDL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch&th=1

If you're upgrading a standard edition copy like I am, GameStop trade in values are as high as $30 with Elite Pro/store credit or as low as $20 with regular/cash.

I'm able to use my wife's Target discount and basically get the extras for about net $12 after trading in my standard copy, which I'm kinda happy about.

I should've just bought the special edition in the first place, it was only $16 more than the standard edition comparing GCU prices for both at launch. Shhh.

I'm still rocking the bone armor w/origin helm.  My waifu just doesn't look right in anything else I have currently have access to justify replacing it.  Since I've been playing totally solo, I just got my rank up enough & did the Zero Dawn quest for my watcher cat armor.  I keep screwing around doing investigations and other nonsensical stuff I don't have to for no reason.  Hell I spent 5 hours yesterday just fishing. :lol:

Yea, I found some fish and spent 5 minutes before remembering I was in a timed quest.

There's also this armor piece with Part Breaker +2, but it's so fugly that I haven't crafted it yet, despite having the parts.

It looks like a metal diaper.

Yea, I found some fish and spent 5 minutes before remembering I was in a timed quest.

There's also this armor piece with Part Breaker +2, but it's so fugly that I haven't crafted it yet, despite having the parts.

It looks like a metal diaper.
Lol I did the same thing with the fishing. Me and my 6-year-old started fishing during a Kadari hunting quest, Black Rock jumped in, saw us just dawdling around doing nothing, and went off to fight it by himself. We felt bad, so we stopped fishing and caught up to him to help him fight.

Hey Black Rock, thanks for helping him with Legiana last night! I was stuck in a story expedition trying to kill that roided-up Pukei-Pukei, so I couldn't jump in myself.

lol, I saw you two in that mission, but didn't jump in because it's been like 8 minutes, and I didn't want to steal your rewards.
You don't actually steal rewards really. You miss out on any broken drops during the fight, but the time to kill as a duo is much higher than any other amount of players. Until you've done a fight, they usually take a little bit on the longer side (20 minutes) as well. Since in multiplayer enemy health is multiplied by 2.7 (I think it was?) over solo play regardless of whether it's 2, 3 or 4 players in the game. So you're fine jumping in sub-10 minutes most of the time.

I suppose it feels like you're getting more rewards for less effort though, but eh, big deal. Every little bit helps. Well, just so long as you don't jump in and cause a game over by dying more than the allotted amount.

lol, I saw you two in that mission, but didn't jump in because it's been like 8 minutes, and I didn't want to steal your rewards.
Feel free to jump in any time. I'm pretty sure that rewards get duplicated for all participating players. At least I don't feel like I get any more rewards for soloing something compared to doing it with a team. So, the more, the merrier IMO.

I suppose it feels like you're getting more rewards for less effort though, but eh, big deal. Every little bit helps. Well, just so long as you don't jump in and cause a game over by dying more than the allotted amount.
Feel free to jump in any time. I'm pretty sure that rewards get duplicated for all participating players. At least I don't feel like I get any more rewards for soloing something compared to doing it with a team. So, the more, the merrier IMO.
I meant the money. I thought they were at least halfway through killing Kodachi, since it had almost been 10 minutes. I didn't want to run up to the mob and see it die and take their money. If I had known he was just fishing, I would have jumped in.

I was farming for money at the time after spending like 100k on armor upgrades.

I meant the money. I thought they were at least halfway through killing Kodachi, since it had almost been 10 minutes. I didn't want to run up to the mob and see it die and take their money. If I had known he was just fishing, I would have jumped in.

Oh don't feel bad about the money. The time we save with an extra player helping more than makes up for it IMO.

Gaining money via multiplayer is not really worth it in my opinion unless you're doing ones that give 35k+ in 4-man groups. The best way to gain money is via solo Investigations from what I've seen for the most part. Start ones with small monsters, preferably ones that give 10k+. Then at the rewards screen, take out the armor upgrade item and any items you don't have a decent amount of and sell the rest. You can gain 20-25k per each time you do those missions for no more than ten minutes of work at most. The only ones that take me a bit are the ones with fliers, which I switch over to the bow for.

Gaining money via multiplayer is not really worth it in my opinion unless you're doing ones that give 35k+ in 4-man groups. The best way to gain money is via solo Investigations from what I've seen for the most part. Start ones with small monsters, preferably ones that give 10k+. Then at the rewards screen, take out the armor upgrade item and any items you don't have a decent amount of and sell the rest. You can gain 20-25k per each time you do those missions for no more than ten minutes of work at most. The only ones that take me a bit are the ones with fliers, which I switch over to the bow for.
This is good advice that I am going to try out tonight.

I don't really know when you get access to the bandit mantle (cause I was lazy and didn't actually do the optional quests until like the end of the game) but once you do get it make sure to take it to every monster that you can fight with no problems. It causes your attacks to make the enemy drop vendor items. How many you get seems to be tied to your damage output (and maybe favors faster weapons? not sure) but that seems offset by the fact that the harder enemies will drop more valuable items.

But yeah it's hilarious, especially on like a Great Jaggras, when I fight him with dual blades he drops between 15-25k zenny worth of items for just a few minutes of work. But really you don't have to farm him, can just take it with you to any quest you know that you don't really need other mantles.

I don't really know when you get access to the bandit mantle (cause I was lazy and didn't actually do the optional quests until like the end of the game) but once you do get it make sure to take it to every monster that you can fight with no problems. It causes your attacks to make the enemy drop vendor items. How many you get seems to be tied to your damage output (and maybe favors faster weapons? not sure) but that seems offset by the fact that the harder enemies will drop more valuable items.

But yeah it's hilarious, especially on like a Great Jaggras, when I fight him with dual blades he drops between 15-25k zenny worth of items for just a few minutes of work. But really you don't have to to farm him, can just take it with you to any quest you know that you don't really need other mantles.
Yeah, that's another route to take with easier hunts particularly. Great Girros and Great Jagras die extremely quickly/easily and work well when paired with the Bandit Mantle. Since those particularly die fast the Plunderblades effectiveness also diminishes, but you can also use that to try and pick up a few extra pieces since you can forcefully use both Plunder skills at level 10.

I usually forget about the Bandit Mantle though as I'm too used to running with Vitality Mantle and another item I can't remember the name of off hand as last I was mostly farming some Elder Dragons. I usually forget to change those out when I switch to something easier.

At some point I'll need to figure out which is faster for just money farming. It'll probably be more up to the individual user which is quicker, but in multiplayer you can equip the Bandit Mantle to up your intake at the very least if you don't need the Vitality Mantle.

Yeah I have a bad habit of forgetting my bandit mantle, especially since I've unlocked the impact mantle which is just pure comedy. I have more money than I can use right now though so it's not too big of a deal. I spent a few days just crafting weapons of all types (since I enjoy just about every weapon in World) and practicing them on Jaggras and used bandit the entire time so it kinda just built up doing that. 

I mainly just use Health Boosters and fight the 10 Hornetaurs Investigation (8800z) for money.
HB is so good! If you have just 2 ppl who know to just place them by the monsters feet and spread them out properly.
Everyone can go to town and never pot. 4 of them in a coordinated team is just broken lol

I'm so using that for Mr Whiskers when I get that far.
Lol, Mr. Whiskers, I like that! I saw it on the palico expedition thing and wasn't sure who it belonged to. I was gonna name mine EdJericho, but decided to name it WhiteBlockTofu instead.

I'm still rocking the bone armor w/origin helm. My waifu just doesn't look right in anything else I have currently have access to justify replacing it.
Yeah, I'm sticking with the Bone armor for my waifu too, even after I have access to armor that heavily outranks it. It just looks so sick. With the Jyuratodus blue skirt, my waifu looks like she is cosplaying Yuna from FFX-2.

Lol I did the same thing with the fishing. Me and my 6-year-old started fishing during a Kadari hunting quest, Black Rock jumped in, saw us just dawdling around doing nothing, and went off to fight it by himself. We felt bad, so we stopped fishing and caught up to him to help him fight.

Hey Black Rock, thanks for helping him with Legiana last night! I was stuck in a story expedition trying to kill that roided-up Pukei-Pukei, so I couldn't jump in myself.
Wow, so Bradley is your 6 year-old!? I had no clue lol, thought he was just another CAG member. That's super impressive, he was playing so well, and knew exactly what he was doing from tracking the monster down to fighting it. Lol, he did a better job than I did following Legiana around. Also wanted to apologize for the 1st attempt, since I got disconnected for some reason. But yeah, he did a great job taking it down! Also, at one point he sent an SOS signal midway through the battle, so I thought he was mad at me for not killing it fast enough lol.

Lol, yeah I remembered the fishing thing. I actually never knew you could fish, and never paid attention to the fishing rod, so you guys actually gave me the time and idea to try it, and I actually caught one. For some reason I thought you two discovered some super rare fishes or something.

There any space in this cag mhw group ya’ll are on about?
Sorry, somehow I missed you posting this initially. You should be good now though.

If you want, you could message me sometime I'm on when he's on and in the Squad lobby (Not while I'm on Netflix). I can invite him so you don't have to send him a game invite every time he joins the lobby. We still have plenty of spaces left open, so it shouldn't be an issue inviting him to the squad for now.

I remember seeing him in the lobby on Sunday, but I didn't invite him since I didn't see him in the community or know who it was.

I'll take a squad invite. I'm already over 100 hours in. This has been the first game to truly pull me away from For Honor for more than a day or two since last February. Though they'll be pulling me back once season 5 hits.

Black Rock, no worries about the d/c, we figured that's what happened. Yeah, Bradley's a pretty bright kid, and he's super into the Monster Hunter now, so he's picking up and figuring out a lot of stuff in the game. He's become pretty well versed in gaming for a little kid, he cleared the campaign in Titanfall 2 and platted Skylanders Imaginators last year, and he just finished Super Mario Odyssey on his own a few weeks ago. I'm pretty proud of him, though my wife isn't quite as enthused as me about the amount of time he spends gaming. At least he's still in Little League lol.

Draekon, bringing Bradley into the group would be great. He'd be really happy about being included, and it definitely saves me a lot of invites having to be sent. Thanks!

Got my hzd gear tonight. Just realized you can repeat the specific monster hunt quests tonight as well. I had been doing investigations to farm gear.

Anjanath wasn't too bad but I did have a tailrider.

bread's done
Back