Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yakuza Kiwami 2 is up on Amazon for pre-orders and now Prime discount is taking effect - $39.99 for the steelbook pre-order. Hells yeah
Didn't the original Kiwami start at $30? Kiwami 2 running $20 more is a bit disappointing, honestly, I don't really like paying that close to full price for remakes of games I already own.

Aside from the graphics and translation, what's new in this version again? A few minigames and a short playable Majima story, right? I'm gonna have a hard time justifying $40 and tax for that.

Didn't the original Kiwami start at $30? Kiwami 2 running $20 more is a bit disappointing, honestly, I don't really like paying that close to full price for remakes of games I already own.

Aside from the graphics and translation, what's new in this version again? A few minigames and a short playable Majima story, right? I'm gonna have a hard time justifying $40 and tax for that.
Actually using more refine Yakuza 6 engine for Kiwami 2. That means no loading time and everything happening on the screen. Kiwami 1 was basically Yakuza 5 engine.

Actually using more refine Yakuza 6 engine for Kiwami 2. That means no loading time and everything happening on the screen. Kiwami 1 was basically Yakuza 5 engine.
Yeah I knew the moment they showed that Kiwami 2 was going to be done in the Yakuza 6 engine it was probably going to be a full price game, I am a little shocked it's only $50 actually. But yeah the first Kiwami is very much a budget game, apparently they even re-used all the animations from the original game for the cutscenes if the internet is to be believed (digital foundry per usual has a good video on it.) It's honestly not that amazing looking of a game even by PS3 standards, where as 6 and Kiwami 2 look and move great.

Yeah I knew the moment they showed that Kiwami 2 was going to be done in the Yakuza 6 engine it was probably going to be a full price game, I am a little shocked it's only $50 actually. But yeah the first Kiwami is very much a budget game, apparently they even re-used all the animations from the original game for the cutscenes if the internet is to be believed (digital foundry per usual has a good video on it.) It's honestly not that amazing looking of a game even by PS3 standards, where as 6 and Kiwami 2 look and move great.
Yeah, I don't really care about enhanced graphics or animation in a game like Yakuza, not even a little; so I have to justify that price tag based on the strength of any new additions, and that alone.

I loved Majima everywhere in Kiwami, but Kiwami 2 is starting to sound like it's just not worth the upgrade tax over the Japanese PS3 port. Maybe if it gets down to <$20 before the stock dries up.

So with all the Yakuza talk, where's a jumping in point for those new to the series? I watched a bit of Giantbomb's endurance run of Zero, and on a lark, bought Kiwami 1. Should I just play that or will I be hopelessly lost story-wise and need to play/view something else first?

So with all the Yakuza talk, where's a jumping in point for those new to the series? I watched a bit of Giantbomb's endurance run of Zero, and on a lark, bought Kiwami 1. Should I just play that or will I be hopelessly lost story-wise and need to play/view something else first?
Kiwami is the first game so it’s a good starting point. You could also start with 0 as it’s a prequel. Either way you’re good.

I would say definitely start with 0. Kiwami is the first game so by starting there you aren't necessarily missing out on anything but I started with 0 and I actually feel like it's the best starting point.

A) 0 is an absolutely incredible game. Whether looked at as part of the overall franchise or individually, the game is just amazing.

B) knowing Kiryu's past makes Kiwami all that more meaningful when you play through it.

C) Kiwami is a much smaller game than 0. 0 is filled with mini-games and sidequests out the ass along with a second city. Kiwami has lots of things to do but when compared to 0 it definitely feels a lot smaller. Kiwami almost felt like a nice big expansion pack to Yakuza 0 to me.

Overall it's up to you but I think 0 is definitely your go to starting point.

Kiwami 1 did launch at $30. Kiwami 2 has a lot more going into it though. Kiwami reused assets and animations and was definitely a budget test project for them that worked. Still I see nothing wrong with this when Square and others will charge full price for an HD remaster. This is absolutely a full blown remake from the ground up in the Y6 engine, with all new gameplay and what seems to me to be a few new chapters along with minor story adjustments to make it fit the overall Yakuza storyline better. At least to me, considering I see Yakuza 2 as the best in the franchise (although it's very close and tied with 0) it's definitely worth the money. Obviously if you have the Japanese ps3 remaster then maybe it's not worth it for you.

I say kiwami 1 since you are already there and it was the first game that came out back on ps2.

I somewhat feel Yakuza 0 can ruin future Yakuza games, since they're not as refined usually. Of course it could be like me where Yakuza 0 was a slight bit boring in ways since I already beat some other Yakuza games and knew where the story was going. The game play was fun though. I did like the fighting styles and the side activities for sure though.

This has more than likely been mentioned in the Steam thread but if you have an Amazon Prime account then Amazon has started giving away (5?) full games through Twitch every month like PS+ & XBL. This month has Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun (+ 4 others). Unfortunately the games are through the Twitch client and not Steam or GOG though, but if you still have Amazon Prime then free is free.

scan-10.jpg

More Images

Start with Kiwami. Knowing the main characters (and what happens to some of them) adds something to the game, in my opinion. You won't be lost in the slightest starting with Kiwami since it's the first game, and you already have it anyway.

Now I'm going to be spending all day refreshing a PSN search for Atelier. PSN giving away preorder bonuses.

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/search/lydie
The only pre-order content I'm aware of are the two DLC costumes as far as I know. Though I guess it seems to include some junk items and some battle music that's often free for everybody.

Granted I understand why you're checking since they did this on the last game (?) and the game before it where the pre-order content was mistakenly put up for free.

Start with Kiwami because its very hard to go backwards with gameplay standards.   It would be hard to go from 0, a PS4 era creation, to Kiwami which was a PS2 game. 

Not as much into Otome games, but I'm getting all those Vita games. These are looking close to the last Vita physical games I may be getting coming out....but we'll see. It's likely it and the 3DS's last year for new game buying, which is fine. My backlogs for both are pretty big. I do want that Bowser's Inside Story....so that will be for next year at least.

Also am somewhat excited for Code Realize fan disk game. Original was a good VN with very good artwork and pretty good story. Need to finish a route or two though. The end of the month is for Funbag Fantasy: Side Boob story or whatever it's called.

Yeah, I don't really care about enhanced graphics or animation in a game like Yakuza, not even a little; so I have to justify that price tag based on the strength of any new additions, and that alone.

I loved Majima everywhere in Kiwami, but Kiwami 2 is starting to sound like it's just not worth the upgrade tax over the Japanese PS3 port. Maybe if it gets down to <$20 before the stock dries up.
I don't really care myself either since all that matters to me is if the gameplay is fun, and it was in Kiwami, I played the crap out of it and did everything. Mostly just pointing out that Kiwami was a really cheap project for them where as Kiwami 2 doesn't seem to be the case. I'd personally have no problem if they wanted to remake the game similar to how they did Kiwami but it's no surprise they wanted to use the engine for 6 and make it all fancy.

That said it's an easy buy for me since Kiwami is the only Yakuza game I've played, I am super excited for Kiwami 2.

Kinda off topic, but I saw the both the Futaba 1/7th Scale figure and the new Hinata one show up as available so I ordered them without hesitation....

DYxu5YyUQAEbYch.jpg

DYxu6l-VQAEb0CG.jpg

So much for me saying, "I never buy figures anymore" lol. Guess I'm back to my old habits

Yea, I have ordered only a handful of figures in the past year or so. But I'm tempted by the Yukino Yukinoshita Yukata Ver. It's so titillating.

Somewhat NSFW:
10526665a7.jpg

Really looking forward to today's Awakening DLC for FE Warriors.

That Tharja and Olivia  :D/

Edit: Dammit, I just noticed that they changed the release date for the DLC from the 22 to the 29  :cry:

Thanks for pointing out Nights of Azure 2....think I'm going to pick up that school girl zombie whatever as well. Not ultra high priorities to play either, but I'll have them. Just a heavy month or so with pre-ordering Asia English April/May releases and stuff releasing at end of month (2 titles at end of the month).

If it hasn't been mentioned yet, Amazon finally matched Gamestop on the $19.99 price for Nights of Azure 2 (PS4):

https://www.amazon.com/Nights-Azure-Bride-New-Moon-PlayStation/dp/B073P7Z7YF/ref=ice_ac_b_dpb_twi_gam_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1521737704&sr=1-1&keywords=knights%2Bof%2Bazure%2B2&th=1

Of note, Best Buy has been sold out of the PS4 version for a few weeks now so you may not see a lower price than this for a while.

Looks like the Switch version is still $29.96.
thanks man, missed out on the best buy one, now able to get in on this

Gust games only have a brief window of being cheap before selling out.
Basically this.

I hate the fact that they tank in price, last about a day or two then never come back in stock.

If they do its rare, for a few hours then sold out indefinitely.

To make it worse, KT rarely put Gust games on sale digitally and when they do, its like max 40% off.

Still missing Atelier Sophie for my ps4 collection and im fine at this point not having it.

I dont understand why KT has this fascination with Atelier games holding some magic high value when they're essentially the Sports game equivalent for JRPGs with their yearly releases.

(Quick LOL! at just remembering the $90 Season Pass for Blue Reflection another Gust game.)

(Quick LOL! at just remembering the $90 Season Pass for Blue Reflection another Gust game.)
It's called Atelier Lydie and Suelle. It's out next week.

Also on the topic of older games, I went back remembering seeing a $20 Arland trilogy pack and now it's near $40+

Spike Chunsoft Announces PixelJunk Monsters 2, Zanki Zero, And Steins;Gate Elite

Steins;Gate Elite will come to the Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4 and PC in 2018. The two console versions will be getting digital and physical releases.

Zanki Zero: Last Beginning, the new PlayStation 4 and PC game from the team behind Danganronpa, will get a release window in North America and Europe soon.

428: Shibuya Scramble has received a Summer 2018 launch window. It will come to the PlayStation 4 and PC. The PlayStation 4 version will be available digitally and physically.

Robotics;Notes Is Coming To The West

Steins;Gate Elite Will Come To The West With Japanese Audio And English Subtitles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=889rSx88-rc

Steins;Gate 0 coming to PC via Steam on May 8

Zanki Zero: Last Beginning Will Have English And Japanese Audio In The West

Fire Pro Wrestling World for PS4 launches this summer in the west

bread's done
Back