Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditto, pun intended - Coliseum was a lot of fun and an interesting twist on the standard pokemon formula

btw I got jealous of your signature Olengie so I made one with some of my fav gaming characters lol
We need another one like it.

Nice. Looks great!

Should totally make one for me. :p

Pokemon Go's only redeemable feature is that you catch Pokemon outside... so they bring the game inside. Genius.
Come on Nintendo, I thought you learned your lesson about gimmicky trash on your consoles. Just make good games.

Pokemon Go's only redeemable feature is that you catch Pokemon outside... so they bring the game inside. Genius.
Come on Nintendo, I thought you learned your lesson about gimmicky trash on your consoles. Just make good games.
Good games don't print money. Gimmicky trash can, if it catches on.

Yikes.. don't wanna burn myself with these hottakes..  :whistle2:

Miku Racing 2018 Figma Images
Hatsune-Miku-GT-Project-Racing-Miku-2018-figma-0001.jpg

Hatsune-Miku-GT-Project-Racing-Miku-2018-figma-0002.jpg

Hatsune-Miku-GT-Project-Racing-Miku-2018-figma-0003.jpg

Hatsune-Miku-GT-Project-Racing-Miku-2018-figma-0004.jpg

lT8atia.gif

#MikuScrewedAgain

I'm sure the game will be great like the previous 2 racing games but it seems like a downgrade going from a Sega cast to just having a Sonic only cast. One of the biggest charm points for me with Sega All-Stars Racing was the variety of fan service the cast and tracks had, from being able to play Vyse once again after a decade since Skies of Arcadia Legends to seeing worlds like Panzer Dragoon and Burning Rangers in beautiful HD. I was looking forward to the next installment as it seemed like it would be even more promising. Since then Miku's games have been coming to the west, Yakuza is as bigger than ever, Valkyria Chronicles is back in action, and Sega owns Atlus allowing for a bigger cast from such games like Persona and Shin Megami Tensei. I'm going to go cry in BRW's shoulder now.

I'm sure the game will be great like the previous 2 racing games but it seems like a downgrade going from a Sega cast to just having a Sonic only cast. One of the biggest charm points for me with Sega All-Stars Racing was the variety of fan service the cast and tracks had, from being able to play Vyse once again after a decade since Skies of Arcadia Legends to seeing worlds like Panzer Dragoon and Burning Rangers in beautiful HD. I was looking forward to the next installment as it seemed like it would be even more promising. Since then Miku's games have been coming to the west, Yakuza is as bigger than ever, Valkyria Chronicles is back in action, and Sega owns Atlus allowing for a bigger cast from such games like Persona and Shin Megami Tensei. I'm going to go cry in BRW's shoulder now.
Yeah, I have to agree, as the many characters across Sega's history, was a HUGE draw for their past titles. I loved the different themed areas of past that went along with many of the characters. If what is stated is true, I can see this being a cost saving measure, as it's way easier for them to just do "Sonic" related world, than offering fan service like they have for past titles. I'm guessing the different vehicles of Transformed are gone as well? Another great feature that made the last game shine.

Of course, now I have next to no interest in this game, as it takes away 90% of what I liked in past titles. But if reviews end up being solid, I may grab it on discount, I'll just have to see how this goes. Of course Sega has no clue 9/10 times, which is shown by their past 20 years of releases. So I shouldn't be shocked that they take one of the few games I liked, and actually flush it down the toilet.

Now I guess I'll have to hope the Star Fox racing is true, and that Retro knows their shit. The rumors mention it being similar to Diddy Kong Racing, by offering a story mode, as well as boss fights(GOAT for me). I'm hoping different vehicles would be included to, as SF has Arwings, tanks and subs so having different types of vehicles seems a given. I've never been a huge fan of Mario Kart, and if this game is real, I hope they stay as far away from that games as possible. But Retro hasn't let me down yet, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now(if true of course). I know a lot of the comments around the web hope this is false, as they want Retro doing something else, but this is my most anticipated want of E3, as a new kart game built from the ground up is much needed, and I think a SF racing could be very cool.

First I was like
Top-25-Excited-Meme-4.jpg

But then I was like
PicardDoubleFacepalm-1.jpg

lT8atia.gif

#MikuScrewedAgain

And you'd think that they would have built on the success of Transformed and added some new characters (I mean imagine Majima and Miku as opponents! Looking at you ar4757).

You know, something hit me where I wonder if this is being manufactured so Sega can move onto other projects and new IPs. If Sega wants to kill off the older stuff, at least show us what you have to replace them!

Yeah, it's yet ANOTHER move showing how much Sega pretty much hates its own fans. :whistle2:(

That is a pretty neat theme. Only slightly surprised they used the Dr. Wily's Castle theme. Wish this site would display twitter imbeds properly for me. Part of the reason why I always have a hyperlink with my imbeds.

June PS+ is as follows:

:ps4: XCOM 2

:ps4: Trials Fusion

:ps3: Zombie Driver HD

:ps3: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier

:vita: Atomic Ninjas

:vita: Squares

None of them are really thread oriented nor seem to be cross-buy, but I do recommend XCOM 2. However the final mission is pretty badly designed when compared to the rest of the game, unless they've fixed it since launch when I played through it. Squares also seems like it could be an interesting puzzle game.

I guess after the Walmart "leak" Sega decided to just officially announce the thing:

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1001840670506549248

Okay so Sumo Digital IS working on it (I remember reading a source saying they were not but...) so maybe it won't be a trainwreck. Now I wonder who's working on the music.

[attachment=30281:FBB53B16-7813-4BA2-8093-5EF6E6E4EC44.jpeg]

Stop bull shitting and bring this one back lol

I want a Pokemon RPG like Coliseum
You aren't the only one. I would love for another console entry. I also want another stadium game. Especially if they include a trainers school in it that can teach you all the hidden mechanics that don't get covered in the games. Like until stadium 2 I never knew about harden and defense curl or sharpen providing bonuses to certain moves. Especially defense curl raising rollouts multiplier to 3? which means it will hit 5 for the last 3 hits.

Ditto, pun intended - Coliseum was a lot of fun and an interesting twist on the standard pokemon formula

btw I got jealous of your signature Olengie so I made one with some of my fav gaming characters lol
my most favorite parts would be double battle, repeatable trainers and mount battle. double battles made things go a hell of alot faster and added more strat and options for things like surf and earthquake teams.

The biggest flaws I have with it are no breeding, no evolving the starters so they are essentially garbage you put in the box forever, and you can't send any of these pokemon to the modern games. Its a cute remake though and having double battle against single trainers as multiplayer option to make things more fun/easier. But I have no idea how wild pokemon will work since they show two different ways to encounter them in the trailer alone.

Good games don't print money. Gimmicky trash can, if it catches on.
Good pokemon games print money but then again even bad pokemon games do... I mean seriously I don't know how you came about that sentence when discussing one of the highest grossing video game series in creation. If we were discussing practically any other rpg series you'd have a point.

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1001660721971826689
That's a pretty nice theme. Too bad they (almost?) never sell these pre-order themes separately. I can understand waiting a while so it's at least temporarily exclusive to pre-orders, but it's odd to just leave money on the table for people who want to buy it physically and would like the theme too.

I never played or picked up Sonic Racing Transformed, but if I knew it featured Skies of Arcadia I might have. Guess I'll have to keep an eye out for a copy :)

I'm okay with the Sonic racing game being only Sonic characters. Yea, it'd be cool if they kept all the Sega characters, but if they're just going to go all in and make it a love-letter to Sonic, then I'm totally cool with that. There's dozens of iconic stages from Sonic that would make for great tracks, so yea, I'm totally okay with it as long as it's good.

Good pokemon games print money but then again even bad pokemon games do... I mean seriously I don't know how you came about that sentence when discussing one of the highest grossing video game series in creation. If we were discussing practically any other rpg series you'd have a point.
I stand by it.

Oh absolutely. And while we've got the Pokemon genie granting wishes, I'd love Pokemon Trading Card Game 3.
There was a TCG 2?

I think I remember someone in this thread once mentioning to me there were ways to get PS+ pricing temporarily without having a long-term PS+ account, like through a trial or something. Am I completely misremembering here?
Yeah, if you haven't used your free trial, you could use that to get the psplus sale price. Otherwise you could consider getting a 1 month subscription if the price is cheap enough.

Btw, looks like I'm not gonna use the 20% off psn coupon again so if anyone wants it, it expires tomorrow. Just pm or quote me and let me know.

Yeah, if you haven't used your free trial, you could use that to get the psplus sale price. Otherwise you could consider getting a 1 month subscription if the price is cheap enough.

Btw, looks like I'm not gonna use the 20% off psn coupon again so if anyone wants it, it expires tomorrow. Just pm or quote me and let me know.
Sent pm

Sadly, I used my free trial period by accidentally pressing X instead of O on the wrong screen when the PS+ ad came up while I was booting up Monster Hunter World a couple months ago.

Which was for a two day trial instead of the normal two week trial.

And I don't even do multiplayer.

Not even slightly bitter.

North America isn't getting the Senran Kagura art book? Six keychains hardly seems worth an extra $30.

I know it says images not final, but the art for the US soundtrack case is less provocative than the EU soundtrack case. It makes me wonder if NA isn't getting the art book because of the art book's content.

North America isn't getting the Senran Kagura art book? Six keychains hardly seems worth an extra $30.

I know it says images not final, but the art for the US soundtrack case is less provocative than the EU soundtrack case. It makes me wonder if NA isn't getting the art book because of the art book's content.
it isnt worth it for the keychains, i think they messed up the release, its either the cheaper one is getting the artbook so its cheaper, or something with the dlc isnt right, the extra 30 sound like its because you get the dlc character and cheaper one doesnt, either way i would like to know the final total dlc since they justified the majority of characters being out of it and making dlc was because it wasnt in the original, also wether or not the ev dlc will work for out version like teh jp one is supposed too

Amazon Prime June PC Games:

- Strafe

- The Banner Saga

- The Banner Saga 2

- Tumblestone

- Treadnauts

As per usual, they're tied to the Twitch client and not Steam or GOG. Nothing particularly thread worthy, but I don't ever really expect it to have very many Japanese games since it's PC. Although Banner Saga 1 & 2 are some Viking themed SRPGs that aren't bad at all. They're a little different than your usual SRPGs with a bit of a unique feel to them with its presentation and gameplay.

bread's done
Back