Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
$15 for first week sale. I might double dip. Didn't beat it on vita yet. Ended up stopping after getting Kaguya. There hasn't been any announcements about the 2nd game getting localized right? And if we will also get the PS4 enhanced version bundled with it?
Nothing official on localizing the 2nd game. I'll most likely get this PC version since the Vita version still costs around $50+

Ace Combat 7 Gets New Official Website Ahead of Upcoming Reveal

[customspoiler='Cover Art']
Ace-_Combat-7-_JP-_Site_07-18-18_Box-_Art.png
[/customspoiler]

Mega Man X Legacy Collection Album Teases "X's Fight is Not Yet Over"

Di_W2a34_U8_AAoru6.jpg

Devil May Cry 5 Devs On Balancing Photorealism With Action, The Mystery 3rd Hero, More

Persona and Catherine Artist Shigenori Soejima Talks About Rin, Studio Zero, and More

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwpLv3ZhC5M

God Wars 2 Revealed for PS4, Switch, and PS Vita With First Character Images and Story Details

Tokyo Ghoul:re Call to Exist Adds Tokyo Ghoul √A Characters, 8-Player Online Battles

Digimon Survive Announced For PS4 and Switch, As A 2D & 3D Survival Strategy RPG

Shironeko New Project’s Producer Explains Why It’s On Switch And How It’ll Be Different

Dragon Ball FighterZ Adds Base Goku And Base Vegeta As DLC Characters In Early August

Kefla revealed for Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2

Crying RPG Crystar Introduces Anamnesis, Kokoro, Sen,777, Battle System Info

Game Freak’s Junichi Masuda comments on the Pokemon 2019 Switch title

Little Tail Bronx 20th anniversary title Fugue on the Battlefield launches summer 2019

Sakurai Has Concerns For The Next Smash Bros., But He Isn’t Thinking About It For Now

Valkyria Chronicles 4 Gets New Trailer Featuring Opening Cutscene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrJ0YF_RsQM

Code Vein Gets New Screenshots Showing Jack, Eva, new Area and More on Famitsu

Hoping they actually attempt to make Pichu viable in this game. In Melee it felt like there was no reason to play him. It just felt like a handicap, and even if you're not playing competitively, he just wasn't an appealing character.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEcQqOWWdbQ

I always found Pichu so adorable and thought it was neat he was added in Melee but I never expected him to come back. I'm not sure how viable they'll make him in Ultimate but what I would really love to see is if Sakurai does to Pichu what he did with Bowser Jr. and how he made the Koopa Kids be alternate skins. So it's not just Pichu but Plusle, Minun, Pachirisu, Emolga, Dedenne, and Togedemaru.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEcQqOWWdbQ

I always found Pichu so adorable and thought it was neat he was added in Melee but I never expected him to come back. I'm not sure how viable they'll make him in Ultimate but what I would really love to see is if Sakurai does to Pichu what he did with Bowser Jr. and how he made the Koopa Kids be alternate skins. So it's not just Pichu but Plusle, Minun, Pachirisu, Emolga, Dedenne, and Togedemaru.
Can it be Mimikyu too, or should that be a Pikachu skin

Not much talk about Octopath Traveler around here.   Personally, I'm loving it.   I've been playing it and reading about it constantly since last Friday.  One of the best games of the year and one of the better jrpgs of all-time.  It will be talked about for a long time. 

Not much talk about Octopath Traveler around here. Personally, I'm loving it. I've been playing it and reading about it constantly since last Friday. One of the best games of the year and one of the better jrpgs of all-time. It will be talked about for a long time.
It looks fantastic but I've also seen a number of screen shots showing some truly terrible dialogue.

Not much talk about Octopath Traveler around here. Personally, I'm loving it. I've been playing it and reading about it constantly since last Friday. One of the best games of the year and one of the better jrpgs of all-time. It will be talked about for a long time.
I'm not so big on it. The narrative is extremely disjointed and horribly paced. Outside of occasional optional dialogue scenes that require you to hit start to view them, there's no interaction between characters what so ever and I feel like there won't be any in the game at all at this point. The game can be rather grindy as well. If you have had Cyrus in your party early on or started with him, you likely are using his passive to lower random encounter rates as I felt they happened a bit too frequently. Since I kept my three initial characters in party since I knew what I wanted in my party, they're grossly higher level than everybody else. Due to this they were level 18 while everybody else was 8 to 10 when I finished. This was also because I grinded everybody to 8 before fighting the first chapter boss on character recruits 4-8 or they'd end up dying as I cycled out my fourth character. Chapter 2 is pretty much the same, three characters are relatively high while everybody else is pathetically low.

There's zero experience that funnels to characters when not in party, nor any catch-up mechanics to get them anywhere near the party leaders level which gives me zero incentive to use them except when necessary. Experience gained is on the lower end for the most part as well up until you fight in the higher level areas. You could rely on caits, but they're complete and utter RNG. Not to mention the second cait doesn't really give experience but instead JP. Hell, the caits in third tier areas only give 4x the experience of a normal battle whereas the ones in the first tier give more than ten times a normal amount. Though like I said before, they only appear if you're lucky. I've seen about ten encountered, half of which were from traveling to my second chapter 2 prior to me being able to combat them. So they've not really been helpful at all since most of the ones I killed were second tier caits that gave me JP that I don't really need.

The battle system itself is fine though and while it can keep me interested enough to play it, it's not enough for me to really enjoy the game when the other parts are pretty bad in my opinion. The aesthetics are also fine, but I'm still not a fan of the overused depth of field. At least I didn't run into any no opacity foreground bug like I did in the demo.

So I feel like they could easily do better if they gave an actual light linear central narrative that included all the characters and fixed the experience issue I have a problem with. Or hell, not allow chapter 2 for any character until all are included and have them appear in scenes along side the primary character for their chapter.

I'm not so big on it. The narrative is extremely disjointed and horribly paced. Outside of occasional optional dialogue scenes that require you to hit start to view them, there's no interaction between characters what so ever and I feel like there won't be any in the game at all at this point. The game can be rather grindy as well. If you have had Cyrus in your party early on or started with him, you likely are using his passive to lower random encounter rates as I felt they happened a bit too frequently. Since I kept my three initial characters in party since I knew what I wanted in my party, they're grossly higher level than everybody else. Due to this they were level 18 while everybody else was 8 to 10 when I finished. This was also because I grinded everybody to 8 before fighting the first chapter boss on character recruits 4-8 or they'd end up dying as I cycled out my fourth character. Chapter 2 is pretty much the same, three characters are relatively high while everybody else is pathetically low.

There's zero experience that funnels to characters when not in party, nor any catch-up mechanics to get them anywhere near the party leaders level which gives me zero incentive to use them except when necessary. Experience gained is on the lower end for the most part as well up until you fight in the higher level areas. You could rely on caits, but they're complete and utter RNG. Not to mention the second cait doesn't really give experience but instead JP. Hell, the caits in third tier areas only give 4x the experience of a normal battle whereas the ones in the first tier give more than ten times a normal amount. Though like I said before, they only appear if you're lucky. I've seen about ten encountered, half of which were from traveling to my second chapter 2 prior to me being able to combat them. So they've not really been helpful at all since most of the ones I killed were second tier caits that gave me JP that I don't really need.

The battle system itself is fine though and while it can keep me interested enough to play it, it's not enough for me to really enjoy the game when the other parts are pretty bad in my opinion. The aesthetics are also fine, but I'm still not a fan of the overused depth of field. At least I didn't run into any no opacity foreground bug like I did in the demo.

So I feel like they could easily do better if they gave an actual light linear central narrative that included all the characters and fixed the experience issue I have a problem with. Or hell, not allow chapter 2 for any character until all are included and have them appear in scenes along side the primary character for their chapter.
Other people can't stand the text heaviness of the Trails games you're into. Different strokes for different folks. The battle system in Octopath Traveler is perfect, the art direction is excellent, and the soundtrack is top notch. The freedom of design is what truly makes it top-tier though; you can sneak into late game towns and steal powerful loot, or pick up only the characters you want for your party and play them in any order. It's the perfect 16bit throwback JRPG. It most closely correlates with the SaGa games and its somewhat similar to the Bravely Default games for those that are wondering.

I've never been really impressed with the "teenagers band together to save the world from the big bad guy" stories anyways. For me, the "story" is just a backdrop among those older games. I've also spent very little time in battle with this game. It only takes a few encounters to get to level 8. One other cool thing is I killed a group of two caits, 4-point danced for 2x Exp, 5x exp, and 2x JP and went from levels 25 to 33 in a single battle. That was a lot of fun lol!

I think it's apparent that many people struggle with the lack of structure that this game presents. I think a lot of people prefer an on-rails linear experience where they are told exactly what to do and where to go. OT gives you tools to break the game instead. It also presents some very challenging boss battles. The subjob system is sublime. I have so much fun mix and matching my different characters. It reminds me of FF11, or FF5 but with subjobs.

But make no mistake, tons of people are playing Octopath Traveler and absolutely adoring everything it has to offer. It's not for some folks and that's fine. The game has also been selling out all across the world which has been a huge surprise to Square Enix. Sales have been much higher than projected. In all honesty, the game is everything I thought it would be and more. It's exactly what I wanted in a new jrpg.

definitely an 8.5 or 9 out of 10 from me, and still even better than the sum of its parts after that score.

Other people can't stand the text heaviness of the Trails games you're into. Different strokes for different folks. The battle system in Octopath Traveler is perfect, the art direction is excellent, and the soundtrack is top notch. The freedom of design is what truly makes it top-tier though; you can sneak into late game towns and steal powerful loot, or pick up only the characters you want for your party and play them in any order. It's the perfect 16bit throwback JRPG. It most closely correlates with the SaGa games and its somewhat similar to the Bravely Default games for those that are wondering.

I've never been really impressed with the "teenagers band together to save the world from the big bad guy" stories anyways. For me, the "story" is just a backdrop among those older games. I've also spent very little time in battle with this game. It only takes a few encounters to get to level 8.

I think it's apparent that many people struggle with the lack of structure that this game presents. I think a lot of people prefer an on-rails linear experience where they are told exactly what to do and where to go.

But make no mistake, tons of people are playing Octopath Traveler and absolutely adoring everything it has to offer. It's not for some folks and that's fine. The game has also been selling out all across the world which has been a huge surprise to Square Enix. Sales have been much higher than projected. In all honesty, the game is everything I thought it would be and more. It's exactly what I wanted in a new jrpg.

definitely an 8.5 or 9 out of 10 from me, and still even better than the sum of its parts after that score.
Nah, I don't need text heavy games. Narrative doesn't even need to be much, it just needs to exist in correlation to what you're given. Let's take Olberic's Chapter 2 for example:

He goes to find the apprentice of the guy he wants to confront, right? So he duels people in town to get into the arena. Then come the arena, they are clearly 1v1 fights via the narrative but when you fight them they're full on party battles. The narrative dissonance within the game is absolutely horrendous. I can only assume this is because there is no traditional 'dungeon' and they wanted to make sure your party got experience I guess? The experience was trash though, so I don't know why they bothered.

Hell, the non-linear RPGs usually feel better than this as characters are often represented in scenes, even if they don't do a damned thing narrative wise. Due to that the dissonance between the narrative and gameplay are fairly inconsequential just by being present. Besides Olberic's Chapter 2, Primrose's Chapter 1 was also pretty jarring when you have a full party. Especially when you do characters chapters after a full party and they say "Help me do X!" before they become your party member.

For the record, I'm also not a fan of teenagers saving the world. It's way overdone and I'm much more in favor of smaller scale themes. I'm just mostly tired of games that don't tie gameplay into narrative and I feel this game is one of the worst offenders. I don't need a heavy linear game or a ton of text, I just want a game that makes sense. Often not a whole lot is necessary to achieve that until you start going heavy into text everywhere at which point then you're forced to explain things. While I like CRPGs for example, they go a bit overboard with text that can make it a bit tedious to read.

As for the whole being able to go to places you shouldn't normally be able tor each to acquire items, I don't care one way or the other about it. Adding in a light conjoined narrative where all characters show wouldn't make the game any less linear than how it is now. I just want something that makes it feel like I'm traveling with a party, not traveling with a single character and a bunch of ghosts who haunt them that nobody knows exists or do anything but fight.

The most experience I got in battle from a Cait was 2600 experience from a Chubby Cait I accidently summoned while I was spamming Bewildering Grace that just happened to continually summon monsters to heal/buff the enemies. Only managed to get a 2x JP that battle despite using Bewildering Grace about 30 times or so. Otherwise I just gain 600-700 with the occasional 2x Exp and only hit 5x EXP in battles that don't matter. Never received a 100x even though I use the skill every single battle. I get JP bonuses all the god damned time though and I don't care about them.

Stardew Valley Multiplayer is releasing on August 1st on PC. No word yet on dates for consoles, but it shouldn't be too far behind. If I recall correctly, they said that the Switch will get the update before it hits other consoles though.

[customspoiler='Stardew Valley Multiplayer Trailer']
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vlBE3vSfNU[/customspoiler]

We were arguing? I just wanted to give some examples as to why I didn't like the narrative since he brought up Trails as he knows I often gush on the series with it being much more text heavy. It's all opinions anyways.

Though now that I've said that, I'm tempted to do a write-up for the full Trails series. It would definitely expand on the things I hate the series for. Granted I'd rather do it after I play Zero and Azure. That would be really long if I did that. It would probably be at least twice the size of my longest game write-up thus far, which I think was around 5,000 words. Which would in turn also mean that nobody would read it.

There is no grinding needed to finish everything expect the post-game dungeon. I was easily able to complete all chapters on all characters with Cyrus less-encounter passive on the whole time.

You can clear areas while being 5 to 10 levels under the Danger Level. Heck, I was able to get one of the 4 secret jobs (Danger Level 50) while my party was around lvl 44.

You might need to catch Haanit or Olberic up a little for them to provoke/challenge on their chapters, but they can still finish it underleveled.

I'm a week late on my usual VN news. First of all a few things were released.

Hapymaher (NSFW) from Mangagamer

FLOWERS -LE VOLUME SUR ETE- (NSFW) from Jast USA
Trample on Schatten (NSFW) from Jast USA
Lynne (Free) from Sekai Project

Mangagamer's next release will be Sweet Switch about a guy with a scary look in his eyes and 2 girls who can't control themselves when stared at. It's cheap and i'm sure i'll get some enjoyment out of it.

Mangagamer (NSFW)
VNDB (NSFW)

I will be giving a Hapymaher a review/overview thing of sorts soon, as I've completed that one 100% already. 

mommy and daddy are fighting!

as for octopath alot of people are talking about it on the playthrough topic for rpgs everything else right now for those that want to read about it. Most of them were playing it and shining resonance refrain but 2 of the regulars quit because they just didn't like it due to numerous reasons. Namely the dumb ai.

Oh c'mon at least make an announcement or something. A tease on twitter would have been fine. Why are you just stealth releasing games without any marketing behind it?

I just bought Galgun 2 on PS4 a few weeks ago, but I guess I'm gonna double dip for the PC release.

The more I see of Nelke, the more it looks like a mobile game. That exploring and battle system look like mobage garbage. I'll still get it though.

Fanatical is having an Idea Factory flash sale this weekend. Every 4 hours, they're going to add another game to the sale. This is what's been revealed so far. Some of them at all time low prices. Each game remains on sale for only 24 hours!

Fairy Fencer F ADF $3.89

Cyberdimension Neptunia 4 Goddesses Online $15.99
Monster Monpiece Deluxe Bundle $2.69

Amnesia memories $2.99

Neptunia U $3.19

Trillion $3.59

Blanc vs Zombies $4.49

Neptunia Rebirth 1 $6.79

Neptunia VII $6.75

Moero Chronicle $2.99

Neptunia Rebirth 2 $7.19

Hyperdevotion Noire $4.99

Neptunia Rebirth 3 $7.39

Neptune vs Sega Hardgirls $9.69

While on the topic of Fanatical, Meltys Quest which is an RPG maker hentai game got listed there for the first time. Unlike some other HRPGs released on steam, this one has a proper translation. It is $11.99 which it has been at that price in the past so nothing special yet but good opportunity for it to go on more frequent sales or stack with the occassional 10% off coupon.

And while I was looking at hentai games on fanatical, I came across Maidens of a Hollow Dream. It only has a minor discount $6.99(30% off) but I thought the trailer was funny. The game and trailer is very NSFW.

Additional HRPG(RPG maker Hentai games) news

The translator/publisher that released Fallen ~Makina and the city of Ruins~ just released his second game, Treasure Hunter Claire and it's on sale for $14.99(25% off) for the first week. He's also put Makina on sale for 35% off during this time. And even bigger news, he's announced 6 more games they plan to release before the end of 2018.

President Yukino

Phantom Thief Celianna

Seed of Evil

Slave's Sword

Leviathan ~A Survival RPG~

Reign of the Succubus

Announcing that many titles in such a short time span is gutsy. let's hope he doesn't go the way of Sekai Project and overburden himself with releases.

Additional HRPG that released recently or are releasing soon.

Mega Milk Story

Lilipalace

And now for something completely different. The Princess Maker games 1, 2, and 3 are on sale on steam at the lowest they've been yet. Get them in the bundle if you plan to get all 3.

Princess Maker 5 is also available on steam but at a lesser 10% discount. It also has pretty bad reviews so I'm not recommending that right now.

Stardew Valley Multiplayer is releasing on August 1st on PC. No word yet on dates for consoles, but it shouldn't be too far behind. If I recall correctly, they said that the Switch will get the update before it hits other consoles though.

[customspoiler='Stardew Valley Multiplayer Trailer']
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vlBE3vSfNU[/customspoiler]
I hope the Vita version will offer multiplayer. I heard recently that the Vita version is compatible with the Playstation TV.

I have both a Vita and a Playstation TV so it would be interesting to play couch coop. Better yet if I don't need actual Wi-Fi, but that seems wishful.

I hope the Vita version will offer multiplayer. I heard recently that the Vita version is compatible with the Playstation TV.

I have both a Vita and a Playstation TV so it would be interesting to play couch coop. Better yet if I don't need actual Wi-Fi, but that seems wishful.
The Vita version will not be receiving the multiplayer update, but should still have all the other content besides that. There's also no local multiplayer at all either, nor cross-play between platforms.

Vita version is cross-buy with the PS4, however there won't be cross-save.

I just finished Momoiro Closet from Frontwing, so here are my thoughts on it.

Graphics: First of all the graphics are pretty good. All the artwork is really nice and there is quite a bit of it. The background and character art stand out and are top notch. I had 0 expectations going in this but everything was high quality. 10/10

Sound: The music is just kind of there. It never really stands out and is default played at a low volume. It's not horrible per say, but not special either. The voice acting on the other hand is very well done. There are just a few main characters, but all of them sound good and don't grate on my ears. The extra little noises like kisses provide a nice touch too. 8/10

Story: Really good and original for a visual novel. This is a romantic story, but there is some unique conflict having to do with otaku and cosplaying and such. I don't want to spoil anything, but I was reasonably satisfied by it all. The characters unique traits came out and always made all the dialogue entertaining. It was easily one of the most fun times I had with a visual novel in a while. 8/10

Gameplay: This a visual novel so there aren't as many choices. In fact there may be less than 5. There really is only 2 routes in this with the main character. I thought it had a slightly shorter length (5 hours reading quickly) and was fun to play the whole time. The lack of other routes (I thought of 2 others that could have been plausible) is disappointing, but it's OK. Frankly if you like a good story and like visual novels this is a good one. 8/10

Fun Factor: I enjoyed the heck out of it honestly. It was a positive story and really just a growing up of characters and how they interacted with others. It's well worth playing even maybe without the 18+ content, though I can't imagine one of the routes being too good without that. 8/10

I really enjoyed Momoiro Closet and found a lot of good storytelling in it. The art was excellent and the characters were enjoyable. The eroge itself was also well done and logical. A good romp , although wait for a sale because of the short length. 8/10 and Nitro recommends!

I'm not so big on it. The narrative is extremely disjointed and horribly paced. Outside of occasional optional dialogue scenes that require you to hit start to view them, there's no interaction between characters what so ever and I feel like there won't be any in the game at all at this point. The game can be rather grindy as well.
Felt the same way. I bought into the hype, tried it, but it didn't do anything special for me. Pacing was bad and story was very "meh". Agree with all your other points on it too.

A reminder to be careful this week if you're buying the Mega Man X Legacy Collection on the Switch and are a stickler for physical only games. The second collection is a digital only voucher on it. Same with Banner Saga.

Other stuff that released without warning last week or I overlooked it (Assume PC unless otherwise noted):
- Gal*Gun 2 (Rail Shooter)
- Mary Skelter: Nightmares (First-Person Dungeon RPG)
- KO Mech (Twin-Stick / Action)

Weekly Releases (July 22nd - July 28th)

Banner Saga 3
- Platform(s): PS4
- Genre: SRPG
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A
- Comments: Digital only.

Banner Saga Trilogy
- Platform(s): PS4, Switch, XB1
- Genre: SRPG
- Comments: Physical and digital. Includes Banner Saga 1-3. Switch version is $10 more and only has Banner Saga 1 on its cartridge. The other two are download vouchers.

Game Tengoku CruisinMix
- Platform(s): PS4
- Genre: SHMUP
- Comments: Digital only. Previously released on PC.

Mega Man X Legacy Collection 1 + 2
- Platform(s): PS4, Switch, XB1, PC
- Genre: Action Platformer / Shooter
- Comments: Switch physical has Collection 2 as a download voucher. PS4 & XB1 have both on disc(s).

VRobot
- Platform(s): PS4 VR
- Genre: Action / Destruction
- Online: I think so?
- Comments: Currently in early access on PC.

VOEZ
- Platform(s): Switch
- Genre: Rhythm
- Comments: Mobile port.

2064: Read Only Memories INTEGRAL
- Genre: Adventure / Cyberpunk
- Comments: Previously released on PS4, Vita, XB1 & PC.

Crossing Souls
- Genre: Action Adventure
- Comments: Previously released on PS4 & PC.

Tiny Hands Adventure
- Platform(s): Switch, PC
- Genre: 3D Platformer / Action

Ys: Memories of Celceta
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Action RPG
- Comments: Previously released on Vita. All English Ys games are now on PC.

Shining Song Starnova
- Genre: Visual Novel
- Comments: Not releasing on Steam yet due to Steam's upcoming 'mature features'. Still releasing on GOG, MangaGamer & Denpasoft.

Flowers -Le volume sur ete-
- Genre: Visual Novel
- Comments: Second game in series. Published by JAST USA.

Grisaia Phantom Trigger Vol. 5
- Genre: Kinetic Novel

Past Releases
July 15th - July 21st
July 8th - July 14th
July 1st - July 7th
June 24th - June 30th
June 17th - June 23rd

Any thoughts on Banner Saga? I've heard it's a great SRPG but that it throws a lot of deus ex machina type twists that can fuck your playthrough pretty quickly.

A reminder to be careful this week if you're buying the Mega Man X Legacy Collection on the Switch and are a stickler for physical only games. The second collection is a digital only voucher on it.
I’m still irritated about half of the collection being on a voucher. I switched my preorder to the PS4 because of this.

Isn’t this like the 4th collection they’ve done this too on the Switch now? Bayonetta Collection, Resident Evil Revelations Collection, Mega Man Legacy Collection, and Mega Man X Legacy Collection all only have half of the games on physical cartridge. Can they really not put it all on the cartridge or are they just being lazy?

I’m still irritated about half of the collection being on a voucher. I switched my preorder to the PS4 because of this.

Isn’t this like the 4th collection they’ve done this too on the Switch now? Bayonetta Collection, Resident Evil Revelations Collection, Mega Man Legacy Collection, and Mega Man X Legacy Collection all only have half of the games on physical cartridge. Can they really not put it all on the cartridge or are they just being lazy?
One of the LRG guys mentioned that there's realistically no limit to how much data you can put on a cartridge, but that it gets more expensive to print as you put more data on it.

I think the bigger issue, though, would be the two games existing separately. If they planned for it to exist as two "separate games" (i.e. two items on PSN/eShop) then you can't just slap two games together and put them on a cart, there's some rework and additional coding involved.

It's likely that it's a budget decision one way or another. As an outsider to the Switch collecting market, I can attest that it would drive me crazy if publishers kept doing this.

Yeah, I refuse to buy games like this for anything more than half off. If their providing half the game, I'm only going to pay half the price. At least Bayonetta did have import options for both carts in English, any word on if any of these other titles will have similar options with both carts included?

I read something about cart prices from Nintendo. If the publisher wants a bigger cart, they need to pay Nintendo more. Alternatively, they could just buy an 8GB cart, and offer any content beyond 8GB as a download code to pass the cost on to the consumer invisibly.

But yeah, totally agreed that it sucks if you want a copy that will still work in 20 years. The anti-consolation is that even a full game on cart may be in desperate need of a patch, like Rime, so that won't be perfect in 20 years, either.

It's more than likely a way for publishers to continue to fend off (and eventually kill off) used game sales. Capcom is hardly the first to do it (EA's goty version of Inquisition comes to mind) and won't be the last. It is sad to see Nintendo doing it, too, with games like Bayonetta. Oh well, as long as gamers/consumers keep buying them, the trajectory isn't changing.

Any thoughts on Banner Saga? I've heard it's a great SRPG but that it throws a lot of deus ex machina type twists that can fuck your playthrough pretty quickly.
I own the first two but have only played through about half of the first. I screwed up really badly and didn't go back to it because there was something else I was more interested in. What I played was good, but yeah, you can screw yourself pretty badly. I probably would've gone back to it at some point but my Steam library swallowed it to only be seen whenever I can remember it exists.

Draekon, any inside scoops to leaked Overwatch summer skins for this upcoming event? 😜
They haven't announced the Summer Games yet for 2018, so there's nothing. They've also seemingly been cracking down on leaks we were getting six months ago from other regions such as China. The only thing right now besides the PC having a free weekend this upcoming weekend is that Wrecking Ball Hammond is releasing this Tuesday on live servers.

Twitter Link

https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/1019280695842123776

I read somewhere that the limit that Switch cartridges can hold is 16 GB and that any game bigger than that has to download the remainder of its data. Haven't had a chance to look into the legitimacy of that though.

bread's done
Back