Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Also I'm definitely buying Hollow Knight for $9.99 on the E-shop tonight. ... Can't beat that price on one of the best games of the year.
Not that $9.90 isn't an already good price for this game, but you can get it even cheaper from Mexico's eShop: https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/367704-hollow-knight-749-on-mexico-eshop-switch/

Bought mine two days ago for $5.46. Unlike PSN, Switch games are attached to your account regardless of shop region. When you change your region back to US, the game will still show as purchased and downloadable. Only things you would lose out on are the gold coins would be added to your Mexican eShop rather than your US one and you can't use a US eShop card to make the purchase.

Then make better fighting games. Give people cool unlockables and hidden shit to find. Develop an interesting story/arcade mode. Include some new events that add varied gameplay (like beating up cars SF2). Finally stop cannibalizing your own prices which makes a day1 purchase very unappealing. The biggest mistake all these fighting game devs make is they assume all that everyone cares about is online multiplayer when that couldn't be further from the truth.

If you make a great game then it will get good reviews and people will buy it.

Also I'm definitely buying Hollow Knight for $9.99 on the E-shop tonight. You know that a physical release for this game is inevitable, but I've been dying to play that game as well. Can't beat that price on one of the best games of the year. (Even if it did come out during '17 on PC).
So inevitable that it's already been announced for Spring 2019:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qVVO69Cgcs

https://gematsu.com/2018/08/hollow-knight-coming-to-ps4-xbox-one-alongside-physical-edition-in-spring-2019

I really wish Square would release the PC requirements for DQ XI already. I would like to own it on PC over PS4 but I don't know if my PC can run it. The game comes out in a week and a few days and I would like to take part of some PC deals if possible.

I really wish Square would release the PC requirements for DQ XI already. I would like to own it on PC over PS4 but I don't know if my PC can run it. The game comes out in a week and a few days and I would like to take part of some PC deals if possible.
Shadow of the Tomb Raider also doesn't have requirements either and it releases ten days after Dragon Quest XI. Square is dropping the ball lately more so than usual. However Dragon Quest XI is Unreal Engine 4, so it shouldn't be too bad to run.

Then make better fighting games. Give people cool unlockables and hidden shit to find. Develop an interesting story/arcade mode. Include some new events that add varied gameplay (like beating up cars SF2). Finally stop cannibalizing your own prices which makes a day1 purchase very unappealing. The biggest mistake all these fighting game devs make is they assume all that everyone cares about is online multiplayer when that couldn't be further from the truth.

If you make a great game then it will get good reviews and people will buy it.
This 100%. I don't play fighters online but I do enjoy singleplayer content quite a bit. That conquest mode from Soul Caliber 3 was pretty amazing.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider also doesn't have requirements either and it releases ten days after Dragon Quest XI. Square is dropping the ball lately more so than usual. However Dragon Quest XI is Unreal Engine 4, so it shouldn't be too bad to run.
Well I am currently running a GT 1030 which is a low end card. I got it to replace a GT 550 Ti when crypto prices had GPUs at insane prices. I really don't want to upgrade my card ATM because my whole system needs a refresh at some point considering I am running a 7 year old i5.

Yeah. Really cool that DQ is coming to PC right at launch.

Well I am currently running a GT 1030 which is a low end card. I got it to replace a GT 550 Ti when crypto prices had GPUs at insane prices. I really don't want to upgrade my card ATM because my whole system needs a refresh at some point considering I am running a 7 year old i5.
Yeah, that card is on the lower end. The bright side is if you buy through Steam, you can at least return it before it clocks two hours of game time, which would allow you to see how well it runs. However you'd probably have to run it at low settings for obvious reasons, but obviously you'll also miss out on any pre-order deals. You could also try using a benchmark tool to give you a rough ballpark on how Gears of War 4 will run on your machine and use that as a guesstimate as I imagine it won't be too different than that.

And yeah, my last graphic card upgrade requires a new motherboard which in turn required a new processor and memory. So the price tag was a bit on the high side. I understand that all too well. Plus while prices have normalized a bit from the whole bitcoin crap, they still aren't at the prices they should be. Then you still have increased price of RAM due to the large influx of phones and all this other tech lately that are being designed around planned obsolescence bullshit.

Yeah, that card is on the lower end. The bright side is if you buy through Steam, you can at least return it before it clocks two hours of game time, which would allow you to see how well it runs. However you'd probably have to run it at low settings for obvious reasons, but obviously you'll also miss out on any pre-order deals. You could also try using a benchmark tool to give you a rough ballpark on how Gears of War 4 will run on your machine and use that as a guesstimate as I imagine it won't be too different than that.

And yeah, my last graphic card upgrade requires a new motherboard which in turn required a new processor and memory. So the price tag was a bit on the high side. I understand that all too well. Plus while prices have normalized a bit from the whole bitcoin crap, they still aren't at the prices they should be. Then you still have increased price of RAM due to the large influx of phones and all this other tech lately that are being designed around planned obsolescence bullshit.
Yeah can I run it says Gears 4 wont run. I mean the PS4 version is fine, but after seeing FF XV mods, I kinda would like to have DQ on Steam. I don't mind playing in ultra garbage settings, it's a JRPG, I am used to it. I am just waiting for there to be enough games for me to need to upgrade. Since my CPU is still alright, going to keep my machine going. I just don't want to update my GPU then in a year or so when I do a full upgrade, have a much better GPU come down in price.

A quick question for the more veteran jrpg gamers. I got a ps4 last year and I have been building up my collection. I have had YS VIII on my want list for awhile. I have noticed it is sold out nearly everywhere except Best Buy and GameStop. Is this a side effect of the switch version increasing the games popularity or true low stock due to a limited print run? Trying to decide if I should hold out. I have a switch but I want it on ps4 and not digital. Thanks

Did they give a reason why they are removing it?
No, they haven't said anything. When anybody tries to ask Square, they just point to the Steam removal announcement it seems.

It was released almost 10 years ago (November 20, 2008), so I assume there was some kind of bullshit 10 year licensing contract that they now have to abide by. It's $10 though, so grab it if you want it before it's gone. You'll still be able to download it. Then maybe after you take one for the team they'll re-list it in early 2019 randomly at $20 or $30 with a few music tracks having been changed calling it an "HD Edition" without any actual changes.

Redacted. for now.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Limited Edition - $139.99 / $111.99 GCU

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1034117695828967427
according to the literal reading of this press release, the listing on Best Buy is for a different bundle which is noted at the bottom of the article.

So it might be the one pictured, but the way it reads is this is the ULE, not the USE : "Earlier this month, Nintendo unveiled Ultimate's Limited Edition bundle containing a copy of the game, a Nintendo GameCube Controller - Super Smash Bros. edition, and a Nintendo GameCube Controller adapter - as well as a gorgeous looking box. This bundle will also be available on launch day."

Draekon seems unusually angry today. :cry:
I haven't spoken with anyone from CAG prior to this post today though?

Yesterday I guess? If so, the publisher SakuraGame is shit and will always be shit and don't deserve any money for their English "translations" which are pretty clearly just machine fed translations. More so now that they seem to be moving beyond RPGMaker games and into actual Visual Novels. I see them publish ("translate") probably 2 games a week on Steam when I do the weekly list, which is ludicrous. Spoke a little with nitrosmob through Steam yesterday about it. The rest was Square being Square and a randomly inserted dry humor joke that was applied in a slightly different manner than usual around here.

So angry.

91237932-cute-crazy-winking-panda-illustration-design.jpg

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone here was interested in a discord group for the niche thread that'll run in parallel with the thread here. I figure that many don't post here as often now, and I see a bunch of people started using discord for convenience. So I thought maybe a discord server would make things easier for some of us when setting up game sessions, or alerting for sudden deals, or just casual chatting. I also talked to Supplice about it and he might be able to set up a bot that automatically posts news.

So let me know if you guys are for or against the idea, thanks!

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone here was interested in a discord group for the niche thread that'll run in parallel with the thread here. I figure that many don't post here as often now, and I see a bunch of people started using discord for convenience. So I thought maybe a discord server would make things easier for some of us when setting up game sessions, or alerting for sudden deals, or just casual chatting. I also talked to Supplice about it and he might be able to set up a bot that automatically posts news.

I'd definitely be down. Discord is much more accessible than PSN or the forums here for chat.

But will there be deals though??

tQqSQEs.jpg

https://twitter.com/IdeaFactoryIntl/status/1034494612625215489

Neptunia Rebirth 1+ on PS4 looks to be remaining a Japanese exclusive.

https://twitter.com/IdeaFactoryIntl/status/1034494612625215489

Neptunia Rebirth 1+ on PS4 looks to be remaining a Japanese exclusive.
Bummer. This really sucks for a console-only gamer like me. I also would have been interested in a new LE... :/

Bummer. This really sucks for a console-only gamer like me. I also would have been interested in a new LE... :/
I would have bought it either way, but it didn't do big Japanese numbers and they really just added some extra DLC characters

New Overwatch D.Va Nano Cola Challenge has started today. All you have to do is buy some Mountain Dew win 9 games starting today until September 10th. After winning 9 matches you will be awarded D.Va's new ponytail epic skin which was also given Kyon's "Ponytails Turn Me On" stamp of approval. You'll also be awarded some exclusive D.Va sprays for watching some partnered Twitch streamers, you can see the schedule and a listing of who to watch in the Overwatch website but I don't see Kayopolice listed so I don't care... then again I could just leave the stream running in the background.

https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/news/22380666

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbtFY3hBxRw

I forgot to post this earlier in the month, but Amazon Prime's August PC games are as follows:

Wizardry Bundle (Contains 6, 7 & 8)

Jotun: Valhalla Edition

Antihero

SteamWorld Dig

Death Squared

Claim at: https://www.twitch.tv/prime

Wizardry is a first-person dungeon crawler RPG and SteamWorld Dig is an... action-adventure platformer? I think? Some decent games either way and like usual, they can only be downloaded (and played?) through the Twitch application. So if you have Prime, I'd grab them before September hits later in the week.

A neat roguelike strategy game titled Into the Breach seems to have stealth released (?) on the Switch today for $15:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKLnPfMtcGg

It's a pretty good game and prior to this release it was PC only. The developer is also the one who made FTL, another strategy roguelike. Both of which are rated quite highly. I thought I'd mention it since it will probably go unnoticed in next weeks release update and it deserves at least a look.

bread's done
Back