Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
The game we will never get. RIP

virgins_edition_RIP-555x313.jpg

So is Song of Memories Encore Edition a true Rice Digital exclusive for the US version?  Its release date is listed as September 2018 and I'm not seeing an even bare bones standard edittion up for preorder at the usual places like Amazon and VGPlus.

Looks like there is a Switch and PS4 version.

https://www.ricedigital.co.uk/store/song-of-memories-switch-collectors-edition-us-version

https://www.ricedigital.co.uk/store/song-of-memories-ps4-collectors-edition-us-version

I really don't want to waste a bunch of money at Rice Digital for this so if anyone knows if a standard edition is being sold stateside eventually, please let me know!

This week I'm really excited for CrossCode to finally release! I'm also very interested in Bards Tale IV, Labyrinth of Refrain and one I didn't realize was coming out, Capcom's Beat'em Up Bundle that has online drop-in/drop-out co-op. Finally since Valve started allowing adult games on Steam, I'm betting they'll start popping up randomly on there. I'll try and post what I can find, but I expect to miss a lot. For the time being I'll mark the ones that are obviously smut driven as smut in the genre, but when I'm not sure I'll just not include it because not every game with adult content should be considered smut. If you have any ideas how I should mark these in the future, feel free to tell me (Adult, smut, etc).

Other stuff that released without warning last week or I overlooked it (Assume PC unless otherwise noted):
- Shining Song Starnova (Visual Novel)
- Glare1more (???)
- Negligee: Love Stories (Visual Novel / Smut)
- Heartomics: Valkyries (Visual Novel / Early Access)
- Hard Work (Visual Novel / Smut)
- DareSora: Tears for an Unknown Sky (Visual Novel)

Weekly Releases (September 16th - September 22nd)

Anodyne
- Platform(s): PS4, XB1
- Genre: Action-Adventure / RPG
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A
- Comments: Previously released on PC.

Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk
- Platform(s): PS4, Switch, PC
- Genre: First-Person Dungeon Crawler / RPG / Visual Novel
- Demo: Switch only.

Capcom Beat ‘Em Up Bundle
- Platform(s): PS4, Switch, XB1
- Genre: Beat'em Up / Action
- Online: Yes. Online co-op.
- Comments: Contains Final Fight, Captain Commando, Battle Circuit, Knights of the Round, Warriors of Fate, Armored Warriors, and The King of Dragons. PC version delayed.

Pato Box
- Platform(s): Vita
- Genre: Sports / Boxing
- Comments: Previously released on PS4, Switch & PC.

Undertale
- Platform(s): Switch
- Genre: RPG / Adventure / Weird

MagiCat
- Genre: 2D Platformer / Action

Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae
- Genre: Arena Hack'n'Slash / Action
- Comments: Previously released on PS4, XB1, PC.

Velocity 2X
- Genre: Action Platformer / SHMUP

The Banner Saga Trilogy
- Genre: Strategy RPG
- Comments: Contains all three Banner Saga games. Previously released on PS4, XB1, & PC.

Sword of the Guardian
- Genre: Beat'em Up / Action

CrossCode
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Action RPG
- Demo: Yes.
- Comments: I'm way too hyped about this game.

The Great Voyage
- Genre: Visual Novel

Farstorm
- Genre: Action RPG

Seers Isle
- Genre: Visual Novel
- Comments: French dev.

The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep
- Genre: First-Person Dungeon Crawler / RPG

天风之光 ~ Touhou Fan of Destiny
- Genre: Action RPG?
- Comments: Russian dev.

Sakura Day Mahjong
- Genre: Mahjong Solitaire

Underhero
- Genre: Platformer / RPG

Spellrune: Realm of Portals
- Genre: Card Battle / RPG / Card Collecting

Past Releases
September 9th - September 15th
September 2nd - September 8th
August 26th - September 1st
August 19th - August 25th
August 12th - August 18th

Hey guys. Sorry for the blatant self promotion, but I'm selling off a good chunk of my figure collection. Please take a look and let me know if you are interested in anything.

Just a quick note for those of you interested in the Tales of Vesperia remaster - Bandai is supposedly unveiling the anniversary bundle details at 10am EST today. Here is a link to the PS4 version, but you can switch the versions with the dropdowns.

I'm kind of disappointed that the Wario Land Virtual Boy remake for the 3Ds turned out to be fake. Wario could use a new platformer.

I'm kind of disappointed that the Wario Land Virtual Boy remake for the 3Ds turned out to be fake. Wario could use a new platformer.
Yeah, I would have been happy to just get VB games on the 3DS's VC, but of course something cool like that would never happen.

I should probably research this myself but trust the pros here:

Is there a well-written review (in English) for JP P5DAN? I think I remember there isn't a story mode. Need to decide if I want to join a import group for the Vita version. 

I should probably research this myself but trust the pros here:

Is there a well-written review (in English) for JP P5DAN? I think I remember there isn't a story mode. Need to decide if I want to join a import group for the Vita version.
How about this? https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/game/playstation-4-playstation-vita/persona-3/dancing-moon-night-and-persona-5/dancing-star-night/.135074

While Persona 4: Dancing All Night had a story mode where the plot was told as a visual novel interspersed with music gameplay sections, Persona 3: Dancing Moon Night and Persona 5: Dancing Star Nightare structured very differently. The story of the game is told through conversation scenes between the protagonist and each of the other members of your team.

Each team member has a total of eight conversations to unlock, though how these scenes are unlocked is different for each character in within their respective game. For example, Yukari's are unlocked by using different costumes each time you play a song. Akihiko's, on the other hand, unlock based on your cumulative number of max combos as totaled at the end of each song. Content-wise, these conversations tend to follow a pattern of sorts. In between training sessions, two of the characters are talking about something from serious concerns to trivial things they secretly enjoy. Then you approach and join in the conversation, occasionally choosing your own reactions to what is being said. Most of these conversations are enjoyable fluff, but a few offer some real insight into the characters.

Perhaps the most interesting reward for unlocking these conversations is where they take place. While the first five conversations for each character take place in Club Velvet proper, the remaining three conversations take place in recreations of each characters' respective bedroom. After these conversations end, you are able to explore each one in first person while playing a short mini-game. If you have the PlayStation 4 version of the game and a PSVR, you are even able to explore each room in VR.

Thanks Vig. If I import the Vita physical, then I can't use the DLC costumes since my Vita is NA PSN.

Hmmm...The only way out of this that I see is to import the Vita physical and play the NA digital, and hope that NA digital has Japanese audio.

my copy of labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk came today but one of the pin came broken so i hope they can send me a new one lol

Thanks Vig. If I import the Vita physical, then I can't use the DLC costumes since my Vita is NA PSN.

Hmmm...The only way out of this that I see is to import the Vita physical and play the NA digital, and hope that NA digital has Japanese audio.
Sorry but your post confused me. Does the Asia import have English subs as an option? I was under the assumption it didn't. In which case that won't help little old non Japanese speaking me. I'd much rather play on Vita but right now I've got the dualpack for PS4 ordered

Sorry but your post confused me. Does the Asia import have English subs as an option? I was under the assumption it didn't. In which case that won't help little old non Japanese speaking me. I'd much rather play on Vita but right now I've got the dualpack for PS4 ordered
No it does not.

I dunno if anyone missed it, but CAG Twitter posted a Playasia 10% off thing if you use Paypal to check out, lasts until October 15th. Doesn't work on digital stuff I think, and has to be over $60. Might be a good time to get all of those Asia exclusives, and exclusive physical copies in. I think I'm gonna get the Caligula Effect Overdose CE with this.

Neato to the Vallhalla sequel and the box art for KHIII.

Always a nice surprise to see some actual illustrations on North American box art. So few and far between. Sick to death of seeing a 3D model of the main character.

IDK why people buy Etrian Odyssey. It's like a really mediocre RPG maker title. I've played hentai games with way better content and mechanics.

I like Etrian Odyssey, it's just that I don't need a bunch more clones, copies, and derivatives.  One EO game every 1-2 years is plenty. 

But I can also see how a person would think they are overrated.   You have to be into dungeon exploration and the battle system since that's 95% of the game. 

bread's done
Back