Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I like all the new animations and stuff, but it's still too long of a game to go back to for marginal improvements. The game already gives you so many different ways to be stupidly overpowered, what QOL changes could they possibly add to make it feel new? 

If the P5S announcement tomorrow is just a vanilla serving of P5 for Switch, then that's an even harder pass for me. Just give us all the Kawakami VR experience we're aching for and be done with it. 

My time with P5 was magical, but I'm very annoyed that I didn't play the complete / final version. Those changes are too minor to warrant another 100+ hours with P5 (maybe in like 5-10 years?) but I would obviously have preferred them to be there for my playthrough. I wish that Atlus would instead release epilogue / side story DLC, where we can use our existing saves and playthroughs to experience all of the new content. 

I'd actually like some kind of auto mode for the dungeons. After going through them once I'm not interesting in redoing some of those puzzles. Give me an autopilot or trail of light / scoutflies equivalent and that'd be a nice QoL improvement for me. I'm fine to still fight the battles, trash and boss. But
going back and forth between mouse and normal looking for ways through rooms on that ship again, ugh

I thought she looks more like fmc crossed with mitsuru.  Redish hair but with a regular pony tail instead of over the shoulder.  Now that you mention it though the face with the mask and hair from the front does make her resemble dorothy a little.  Always like dorothy from big o.

I'd actually like some kind of auto mode for the dungeons. After going through them once I'm not interesting in redoing some of those puzzles. Give me an autopilot or trail of light / scoutflies equivalent and that'd be a nice QoL improvement for me. I'm fine to still fight the battles, trash and boss. But
going back and forth between mouse and normal looking for ways through rooms on that ship again, ugh
When they said possibly re-designed dungeons, that Palace was the first one I thought of. But if they asked me for my most wanted QoL improvement, it would be the ability to select different background music for Mementos. That may be the worst song in the whole game, yet the one you are forced to listen to the most! (Yeah, there is a lot of time spent with the velvet room theme, but I actually like that song.)

Oh, also, along those lines, a way for them to repeat Mementos dialogue that gets interrupted by opening a door or entering a battle. Sometimes, they were just about to say something, but I was already pushing the button and thus missed it.

I certainly don't mind P5 enjoying a little more time in the limelight throughout 2019 and 2020. 

giphy.gif

While I'd rather this be DLC, but I'm too big of a persona fan not to pick it up regardless -_-

It'd be nice if you can new game+ it from the beginning with a save from the original game.

I'm also somewhat disappointed we're not getting a FeMC. I mean, I wasn't particularly expecting one, but it'd have been nice.

While I'd rather this be DLC, but I'm too big of a persona fan not to pick it up regardless -_-
It'd be nice if you can new game+ it from the beginning with a save from the original game.
FES did that, even if you hadn't completed the game in the original; P3P and The Golden obviously didn't since they were for different platforms than the originals, but I think it's a fairly safe assumption that this will based on past experiences.

I'm also somewhat disappointed we're not getting a FeMC. I mean, I wasn't particularly expecting one, but it'd have been nice.

FES did that, even if you hadn't completed the game in the original; P3P and The Golden obviously didn't since they were for different platforms than the originals, but I think it's a fairly safe assumption that this will based on past experiences.
Good point. It'd be nice if that holds true. I'd rather just speed through the same parts to get to the new content :)

I had no interest in a Switch port of P5, so this is actually far more interesting news than what I was expecting. It's an odd choice, but given the prior Omega Force cross over games, I guess it's not too surprising.

Yikes, I expect it to be bad.

Is this the rumored switch game or do we also expect the console to get a version of P5?
This was the rumored Switch game. Any indication that Switch would get Persona 5 was speculation based on the name (people thought P5S = Persona 5 Switch) or the fact that Joker made it into Smash Bros.

This was the rumored Switch game. Any indication that Switch would get Persona 5 was speculation based on the name (people thought P5S = Persona 5 Switch) or the fact that Joker made it into Smash Bros.
Makes sense. While I also didn't have any interest of P5 on switch (already have a physical CE and a digital copy), I still wanted it to come to switch. It would mean more exposure and more people appreciating the game, which it deserves.

Well that's interesting. I usually don't buy these Dynasty Warrior type games on release, but a Persona one has me interested for sure.
Yeah I haven't played many warriors games in general and the ones I have I bought them dirt cheap, but, I'd actually consider this at full price depending on what all was in it. Mostly curious about the roster.

I honestly was not expecting a musou game for the Persona series, but I am pretty interested.

But yeah, I was also hoping for the original game to be ported over to Switch since I really wanted to have a portable version of the game. I'm sure I would've spent even more hours that I did on the PS4 version if I had it on the go.

I know how I feel about Persona 5 Scramble: The Phantom Strikers;

Disappointed that with a name like that it is neither a Persona themed soccer game, nor a Persona themed flight combat game.

I have no particular feelings about this announcement one way or another.

Though it’d be nice if they included the other Persona games’ characters in the playable cast. Particularly Hamuko.

I have no particular feelings about this announcement one way or another.

Though it’d be nice if they included the other Persona games’ characters in the playable cast. Particularly Hamuko.
What first came to my mind reading that is flattening a hoarde of shadows playing as P4's Hanako. Which would be amazing actually.

I ended up seeing a complete copy of the Tales of Vesperia Xbox 360 Special Edition with the Steelbook & Soundtrack tonight on craigslist, I debated going to get it for a little bit but I went and picked it up. It was Mint & Complete for $40. Good deal or no?

Considering those retailed at probably twice that price yes I would say it was a good deal.  Vesperia is an amazing game.  Hope you enjoy it.

Meanwhile pokemon musou when?

I ended up seeing a complete copy of the Tales of Vesperia Xbox 360 Special Edition with the Steelbook & Soundtrack tonight on craigslist, I debated going to get it for a little bit but I went and picked it up. It was Mint & Complete for $40. Good deal or no?
Yes, a nice edition. I still have mine and it's how i justified passing on the recent lackluster CE of ToV:Def.

Wow, imagine being a Switch only gamer and have been having rumors of a persona 5 port only to get a musou. I'm sorry guys. Hopefully at e3 they change their minds.

Yes, a nice edition. I still have mine and it's how i justified passing on the recent lackluster CE of ToV:Def.
I'm jealous. I didn't know about it until after the game had been out years later. Had I known I would have gotten that version instead of preordering the regular. Same thing happened with persona 3 where I only got the special edition.

Steven universe save the light is getting a physical release bundled with OK KO for 30$ on ps4 and xboxone.  switch version will be 40$.  release date is 5-17-19.  Save the light is a little buggy but is otherwise an excellent game.  It is very much like paper mario with a badge system and lv caps at 30 and of course a paper like aesthetic. But with turns happening in real time and positioning is somewhat important.  I highly rec it.

Steven universe save the light is getting a physical release bundled with OK KO for 30$ on ps4 and xboxone. switch version will be 40$. release date is 5-17-19. Save the light is a little buggy but is otherwise an excellent game. It is very much like paper mario with a badge system and lv caps at 30 and of course a paper like aesthetic. But with turns happening in real time and positioning is somewhat important. I highly rec it.
finally

Damn, I didn't realize Taiko no Tatsujin got released in english. I was about to get real stoked to buy it on this sale, but now I see it was $5 cheaper just last week. Feels real bad.

Can someone tell me how much the dlc songs cost?

bread's done
Back