Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Was browsing Amazon and saw a NIS Limited Edition, Grand Kingdom to be specific. How good is this game? A LE with a Hardcover book and soundtrack is always worth a look.

Reviews have been alright for it (read two). It doesn't look as good as Grand Knights History. Pretty unique move around the board mechanics if it's like that game....battles were decent in that game as well.

Pretty small week this week if you don't count indie games or the non-Japanese one I included. Next week and three weeks from now will be a little bigger. At the very least you won't have to worry about Nintendo "supply" again for a while. Other than that you do have Bit.Trip Runner 2 releasing on the PS4 this week, but it's not really Japanese. My most excited release this week is probably Factorio on Steam though.

NEKOPARA Vol. 2 also released last week on Steam, which didn't show up until mid-week or so. It's a visual novel, but the Steam version obviously does not have the 18+ content.

Weekly Releases (February 21st - February 27th)

Mega Man Legacy Collection
- Platform(s): PS4, XB1, 3DS
- Genre: Action Platformer
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A
- Comments: Came out on PC sometime last year. Includes Mega Man 1-6 with a new museum and challenge mode.

Disgaea
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Strategy RPG
- Comments: Physical NIS copies sold out some time ago. Port with image enhancements. (Though the sprites honestly look worse)

LiEat
- Genre: RPG
- Comments: From a Japanese indie dev. It'll be pretty cheap, like $3.

Stardew Valley
- Genre: Simulation RPG
- Online: At a later date there will be co-op.
- Comments: Not Japanese, but I figured it might be of interest to this thread if it turns out decent. It's a bit Harvest Moon'y and looks like it has potential.

Past Releases

February 14th - February 20th

February 7th - February 13th

January 31st - February 6th

January 24th - January 30th

January 17th - January 23rd

Cross save is what will get me to buy the Vita version and the PS4 version of a game. Probably get the Vita version Gundam Breaker 3.

I heard the volleyball aspect of the Dead or Alive Xtreme series has gone down. I hope this new version will fix that.

Still have Azure Gunvolt in my 3DS digital backlog. I really need to stop with the digital purchases.

Ah man, I would have bought the fight Pokemon game on the 3DS.

This needs to come to PS4 or WiiU. Also holy shit those last songs in the video, are they meant for humans to play?
Yes, the same kind of humans that learned to play Invisible Tetris.

Invisible Tetris, that's a real thing someone invented.

Arcade players are freaking nuts.

Yep.

tumblr_mla04dsokc1qd7h1xo2_500.gif
Kantoku quickly became one of my favorite artists.

This is on my wall right now. Much moe.

MApmrsQ.jpg

Senran Kagura 2: Deep Crimson - Double D Edition is $19.99 at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Senran-Kagura-Deep-Crimson-Double-Nintendo/dp/B00UJ9LSB2

This seriously undermines the ~$20 Acceptable dinger I bought from Amazon Warehouse Deals on Friday. :headache:
It's okay.

At least you didn't pay too much more.

How badly was it dingered?

Chances are you're going to receive another one that's a dinger anyways since Amazon ships these in bubble mailers, and the one you got probably was a return, so not much will change if you're going to play it anyways. ;D

It's okay.

At least you didn't pay too much more.

How badly was it dingered?

Chances are you're going to receive another one that's a dinger anyways since Amazon ships these in bubble mailers, and the one you got probably was a return, so not much will change if you're going to play it anyways. ;D
The outer box has a noticeable tear, but otherwise it looks brand-new.

I didn't know those games had already reached hipster status.
They were hipster while they were still in production, especially Chrono Cross. It's so rich in meta you need a trilby to play it.

I like both games, by the way. The stories are great.

Star Ocean 5 Details and Screenshots: Victor’s Subordinates, Relia’s Mysterious Power, and More
http://gematsu.com/2016/02/star-ocean-5-details-screenshots-victor-subordinates-relia-mysterious-power-more

Check Out the First 80 Minutes of Attack on Titan on PS4 in Shiny 1080p
http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/02/21/check-out-the-first-80-minutes-of-attack-on-titan-on-ps4-in-shiny-1080p/

Nintendo Shows off Graphical Improvement in Twilight Princess HD Comparison Video
http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/02/21/nintendo-shows-off-graphical-improvement-in-twilight-princess-hd-comparison-video/

Guilty Gear Characters Now Playable in Crusaders Quest
http://www.siliconera.com/2016/02/20/guilty-gear-characters-now-playable-crusaders-quest/

Highway Blossoms, A Yuri Visual Novel Of Love And Gold, On Steam Greenlight
http://www.siliconera.com/2016/02/21/highway-blossoms-yuri-visual-novel-love-gold-steam-greenlight/

I love Miku as much as anyone else, but is Mirai DX worth it for the sale price? Hate to see the vocaloid squad in a resolution worse than a PSP. 

SNK Playmore Announces the Opening of SNK Entertainment
SNK Playmore announced today with a press release the launch of “SNK Entertainment,” a wholly owned company dedicated to achieve sustainable growth and to maximize the brand power of the SNK Group.

IBM Japan Announces Sword Art Online-Inspired Virtual Reality MMO Project
IBM announced today something rather interesting: Sword Art Online The Beginning Project, a “virtual MMO project” in collaboration with Kadokawa, Bandai Namco, Apniplex and more, inspired by the popular anime series.

Yakuza 6 Is Like “a Luxury Car” Compared to Old Economy Cars According to Producer
Producer Masayoshi Yokoyama talked about it on Famitsu, comparing the new game to a luxury car, as opposed to the past chapters of the series, compared to economy cars.

One Piece: Burning Blood adds Blackbeard, story trailer

Anyone played the first game of this?

I like story of seasons and rune factory. Wonder if this game worth trying.
http://returntopopolocrois.com/
I played PoPoLoCrois on the PSP, though it's my understanding that it's long running series that just never got to the west before that. The combat wasn't great, being a really barebones srpg, but the characters and world were charming enough to keep me playing. I don't know how well it's going to mix with Harvest Moon, but since they're both more about being cute than complex it might work.

Shiren is the definitive roguelike, IMO (I specify roguelike because Rogue would be the definitive of the genre by default). All the roguelike staples are there, plus the difficulty is always high without being unfair.

In the SNES/DS game, some of the monsters toward the end of the game will screw you up pretty bad if aren't careful (and often when you are). There are a few monsters the mere sight of whom will make you go "wait; what?? NO! HOLY CRAP STAY AWAY FROM ME!!"

..So yeah, great roguelike.

My favorite enemies are the ones that steal/eat/melt weapons and shields. Ah I remember pretty much beating the SNES one...good old gold stuff.

I played PoPoLoCrois on the PSP, though it's my understanding that it's long running series that just never got to the west before that. The combat wasn't great, being a really barebones srpg, but the characters and world were charming enough to keep me playing. I don't know how well it's going to mix with Harvest Moon, but since they're both more about being cute than complex it might work.
Looking at the game...not played it yet, it seems to have the barebones RPG stuff you have with lots of quests and such. The Harvest Moon stuff is bare bones it seems and optional I believe though you can marry it looks like from the main website. This is more Popolocrois than anything though.

I got a notice in the mail today that Gamestop cancelled my Fire Emblem Fates SE order. Just a heads up for anyone else who might've preordered there.
Did you preorder in store or online? I did online after 11/18 and they shipped mine.

I kinda understand where they're coming from but that's some shaky loophole. Aren't all PS4 games supposed to support remote play as a requirement? Scamco gonna scam.

Was browsing Amazon and saw a NIS Limited Edition, Grand Kingdom to be specific. How good is this game? A LE with a Hardcover book and soundtrack is always worth a look.
It's not too heavy on the story. It's mostly about the combat which is really addicting. Kind of like a turn based rpg. Watch some videos on the combat and try the demo on the japanese psn if you can.

Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness’ Western Release Announced Exclusively for PS4 and PS Vita

NIS America announced today with a press release that the visual novel by Mages. and 5pb. Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness will be released in Europe and the United States at the end of 2016 exclusively on PS4 and PS Vita. For those who love their physical disks, NIS America also shared that it will be available in both phsyical and digital releases.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NCkgLOUyng

Happy about Psycho Pass. Also happy that Shiren the Wanderer is up for pre-order. Hoping for the double discount. 

RE: Shiren - Personally, not a fan of the Mystery Dungeons (Shiren, Izuna, Curry God, Pokemon, Etrian MD), but I like pretty much every other kind of roguelikes. A lot of people swear by them. If you like any of the games I listed, get Shiren.

RE: Popolocrois - I tried the PSP one ages ago. Couldn't get past the first 30 minutes. It's very generic and boring. Cute looking, but that's the only thing going for it.

----------

Went back to Digimon after missus wanted to play Lego Avengers. Was a breeze until Ch. 11. This boss is a friggin' DPS check. Now I'm grinding cause I can't beat it before I start getting OHKO, and finding out how much of a pain it is to get Megas. Found out about Platinum Poops by accident.

Again, this is from someone who's never played the older Digimon games, and not using a guide, on hard. So YMMV.

bread's done
Back