Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Even though Vesperia was my favorite JRPG of last gen, it still brings my piss to a boil that we never got a localized version of the superior PS3 port since we got the short end of the stick with all the content that was cut ugh.

I still want to play the "complete" port >_< (subbed pls)
Well do what I did a buy yourself a jailbroken PS3 (you can find one for around 100 if you're patient) so you can download the patch to play it. You can find a Japanese copy of Vesperia for very cheap online, I waited to play Vesperia until getting the English PS3 version, absolutely worth it. :)

P.S. Great avatar, love Utena and Dios is awesome.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Footage from PAX East Appears to Confirm More Changes for the West
http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/04/24/tokyo-mirage-sessions-fe-footage-from-pax-east-appears-to-confirm-more-changes-for-the-west/
https://youtu.be/oD6POqW3CPc
hi9magR.jpg

I can't wait for Nintendo to bitch at the TMS sales and then blame it on *insert reason here* instead of not that they censored the game.
Realistically the LE is going to sell out and the game will probably sell about as well as it would have if it wasn't censored. Most people that complain about the censoring will buy it anyway.

Well do what I did a buy yourself a jailbroken PS3 (you can find one for around 100 if you're patient) so you can download the patch to play it. You can find a Japanese copy of Vesperia for very cheap online, I waited to play Vesperia until getting the English PS3 version, absolutely worth it. :)

P.S. Great avatar, love Utena and Dios is awesome.
Thanks, Utena is hands down my favorite anime ever. Im still heartbroken that the Anthy Megahouse statue is probably never going to come out. My Utena statue is lonely :(

Realistically the LE is going to sell out and the game will probably sell about as well as it would have if it wasn't censored. Most people that complain about the censoring will buy it anyway.
It makes for GREAT discussion on here four times every week though.

I wish I had a WiiU cause that Mirage Sessions game looks fun and colorful and a game I would play. I don't care for censoring of course (I complained about butchered VNs on Steam for more sales), but it looks fun and I like Atlus nonetheless. The thing more concerning is when it would be coming out if I owned the WiiU as I believe Star Ocean PS4 releases during that time and frankly I can't manage two long RPGS as once. I am sick and tired of the censorship talk though.

I am sick and tired of the censorship talk though.
As long as it happens, it's going to be discussed and lamented.

I don't understand their logic. No casual gamer is going to look at this game and pick it up. It's a very niche title. They're localizing a game and conditioning it for "players" (and I use that term lightly) who won't even buy the game.

This censoring stuff, why do they do this :/
Nintendo on the whole is really bad business wise, but NoA is special kind of stupid. The child protection system they have in place on the 3DS and Wii U is crazy over the top, and you can adjust it to block games, content, and everything inbetween.

I understood why they censored games 20 years ago, but now, it really makes ZERO sense, as if anyone spends two minutes of their time, they can protect anyone from anything. I'm sure they would say they want to protect "X" from "Y", but why have a ratings system in place, and allow users to block content only to censor their games on top of that? This is really the same thing they do with their demo's. They added limited uses to an already "limited" demo, what the fuck are these guys thinking?

This is why they are failing at business and can't understand why. They are focusing MAJOR efforts, on MINOR things!

Somewhat curious if anybody actually uses the wiki. Wiki's in the Deals section seem to be having issues with editing the past few days as far as I could tell and I could have sworn I edited stuff in like Stranger of Sword City on PC, but I'm not seeing it anymore. I guess if it doesn't clear up by tomorrow, I'll scream wolf to John.
I don't, but I stay pretty up to date with the thread. I imagine those that don't would find it useful though.

pfft everyone knows p5 isn't coming out this year.  the new place holder season is summer 2016 from winter 2015. I can bet it will move into 2017 considering there's barely any info on the game. I mean maybe at the earliest it could release q3/4 of this year in japan but the odds of that aren't very good considering its almost may.

pfft everyone knows p5 isn't coming out this year. the new place holder season is summer 2016 from winter 2015. I can bet it will move into 2017 considering there's barely any info on the game. I mean maybe at the earliest it could release q3/4 of this year in japan but the odds of that aren't very good considering its almost may.
I feel the same way about this too. I think it will release early 2017 Japan and 2017 Summer in NA. That's just my guess for now, but we should know more come May.

PS4 Exclusive The King of Fighters XIV Releasing in Japan on August 25th

The King of Fighters XIV: Here Is The First Look at The (Nearly) Full Cast and More

PlatinumGames’ PS4 Exclusive NieR: Automata Gets New Screenshots And Renders

28 more minutes of ClaDun Sengoku gameplay
The King of Fighters XIV Gets American Release Date; Introduces Full Roster
The game will release in Japan in August 25th and in North America on August 23rd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c20M1gnuvJ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haUWnw9oMPg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_kvG7vjH_8

PlatinumGames’ PS4 Exclusive NieR: Automata Getting Release Window and Trailer at E3

Check Out Final Fantasy XV’s Latest Pre-Beta Gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRzeYg2Q5eY

Valkyrie Anatomia To Add Lenneth From Valkyrie Profile As A bonus, New BGM Samples

Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization To Release In Japan On October 27, Adds Philia And Strea

The standard edition on PS4 will go for 7,200 yen and the limited edition (shown) for 10,980 yen. The standard on PS Vita will cost 6,100 yen and the limited edition will go for 9,980 yen, all plus tax

My Hero Academia: Battle for All Gets Videos For Eijiro Kirishima And Shoto Todoroki

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jm2s99EfTk

Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV’s New Clip Gives Us A Glimpse Of Its Action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_j7DNLNN7E

Did anyone else notice that TMS Special Edition kind of vanished?  The link is still working, but now the pictures are gone and the detail as well.  Won't show up in search anymore either.

Hmm, I actually can see this impacting sales. I preordered this back in 2013, completely sight unseen (seriously, I don't watch any E3 shit) just with the title "Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem". My hype was limitless, the tentative title was one of the reasons I bought a WiiU.

Fast forward, the game has seemingly turned into weeb trash nothing like either source. I'm still "Eh? Could be great". Then the game comes out in Japan, and Japan apparently thinks it's crap. At that point I'm at "maybe I should cancel this preorder...?". Now the poor game is getting censorship piled on top of it... I've got no more reason to be excited for it.

I probably am still going to order a Limited Edition whenever they hit Canada, simply on the possibility that the LE will skyrocket in value and I can make some money (seems likely if the sales are terrible). If not for censorship I probably still would reserve judgment, and pickup both the standard release and LE, because I'm an idiot.

You're right. I'm still buying it... USED & with a coupon!!

The SMT x FE censorship is disappointing as always, but what did we expect? Of course it was going to happen, no point being in denial about it. 

Also, I spent some time with Star Fox. The game is not as bad as everyone is saying. Sure the motion controls are occasionally annoying as  fuck , but I realized the more I played, I ended up using them more often for the improved accuracy in firing the lasers.

I will say that the last boss is cheap as hell and annoying though, so I took a break from the game. But I guess the last boss in 64 was broken as well. I'll try again today.

I, erm, never realized how badly I wanted the new King of Fighters.  I am hearing that this steelbook actually comes with a sort of fighting game too. 

The SMT x FE censorship is disappointing as always, but what did we expect? Of course it was going to happen
On a Shin Megami Tensei game? A series that's been made for mature gamers since the NES, and has had plenty of disturbing imagery (phallic monsters, etcetera). Heaven forbid we warp our minds with bikinis now.

bread's done
Back