Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bleh, I have the Watch Version of Zero Time Dilemma pre-ordered, but I really can't afford it right now. I don't want to pass up on the watch though. I guess I could sell the game to recoup some money and then buy it again when it's cheaper.

Not that I actually have much desire to play this anymore after all the drama involved, but is anyone else a little bitter they're sending review copies out prior to backer copies?
I believe that Jim mentions in the video that he didn't get a physical copy. He is playing from a digital version of the game that he was sent for review purposes.

Oh you simply had to play games before dropping the money back then. Either rent it or if it was obscure enough you would go to Funcoland and try out any of their used games. I really don't know how big of a presence Funcoland had outside of Minnesota though. They all merged with, but then were acquired by, Gamestop shortly after the turn of the century.

Funcoland was love. Funcoland was life. They were in PA and DE as well.

Those paper pamphlets listing every game and their trade in value, though. :lol: That was my bible.

Bleh, I have the Watch Version of Zero Time Dilemma pre-ordered, but I really can't afford it right now. I don't want to pass up on the watch though. I guess I could sell the game to recoup some money and then buy it again when it's cheaper.
Has there even been any screenshots or anything of the new watches? I got a pre-order in for both watch versions, but I'm probably gonna end up cancelling the 3DS one.

Funcoland was love. Funcoland was life. They were in PA and DE as well.

Those paper pamphlets listing every game and their trade in value, though. :lol: That was my bible.
Ironically enough the Funcoland where I used to shop is now the Gamestop I use most often. It's also literally 1500 feet away from another Gamestop.

Has anyone ever heard of people getting in trouble for sharing Play-asia codes? I never noticed it's prohibited before. I've given and received codes before without problem.
Recently I tried to put in a code I had for an order just under $60 and I got the error message suggesting a few reasons why it might not be working. One of course was that the order was under $60, but another one I saw was that the 'code could be linked to a different account'.

It's technically against the rules, but I haven't ever heard of it being enforced.

If you don't want it I'm interested in buying it from you on release

Has there even been any screenshots or anything of the new watches? I got a pre-order in for both watch versions, but I'm probably gonna end up cancelling the 3DS one.
I think this might be it?

original.jpg

Hopping in the Dragon Quest conversation. I've played 8, and DQM. I also own Heroes, but havn't played a lot of it. I loved DQM because of the Pokemon/Digimon like system. As for 8, it is in the top 5 games of all time for me. I've bought it multiple times over the years and I cannot wait for a remake. I'll buy every game that comes out to enjoy it. And I'm learning Japanese so hopefully I can import if needed. But they need to give us more over here.
now see I would of liked dqm if the ones you catch wern't basically reset when you catch them. That was stupid as hell.

Oh you simply had to play games before dropping the money back then. Either rent it or if it was obscure enough you would go to Funcoland and try out any of their used games. I really don't know how big of a presence Funcoland had outside of Minnesota though. They all merged with, but then were acquired by, Gamestop shortly after the turn of the century.
never heard of funcoland outside this site. all I had in my area when I was growing up was family videos, record exchange (still have) and generic nameless stores I can't remember. Oh and kmart. I loved my kmart. I rented games all the time when I was a kid and we had those monthly rental things for like 20$

Been waiting for Labyrinth of Grisasia for a decent while.....I will wait for the adult version though. The sex scenes imho were excellent in the first game, and really defined a character or two. Really wouldn't want to play it without the adult stuff...

So apparently the upcoming Yu-Gi-Oh game for 3DS is going to be free to play, with microtransactions.

This does not make me happy.

I'm actually still holding out hope on that; they haven't explicitly said that there wouldn't be normal duels.

But this new information doesn't bode well in that regard.

If they hadn't stated it explicitly, I'm not holding my breath.

Either way F2P is pretty much killer for me, I play the games because I hated blowing so much money on packs of cards. And I'm guessing its gonna be more lke a mobile/phone game and less like the console games where you could just buy decks/boosters to save time.

Haven't been able to edit the wiki for over a week now. Times out every single time now no matter when I attempt to edit it. Also a bunch of Visual Novels listed on Steam that have dates of "June" or "Soon" as well that won't make the list due to lack of concrete dates. Oh and the Steam Summer Sale starts this Thursday during the usual update time.

Other stuff that released without warning last week that are all on PC/Steam:
- Kyoto Colorful Days (Visual Novel)

- Time Tenshi 2 (Visual Novel)

- Higurashi When They Cry Hou - Ch. 3 Tatarigoroshi (Visual Novel / Horror)

- Highway Blossoms (Visual Novel)

- Awareness Rooms (Adventure / Puzzle)

Weekly Releases (June 19th - June 25th)

Grand Kingdom

- Platform(s): PS4, Vita
- Genre: Strategy RPG
- Demo: Yes.
- Online: Yes.

- Comments: Physical release is a week later. Digital only this week.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE

- Platform(s): Wii U
- Genre: RPG
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A

Mighty No. 9

- Platform(s): PS4, PS3, 360, Xbox One, Wii U & PC
- Genre: Action Platformer
- Demo: Available to backers only.
- Online: Supposedly.
- Comments: I'll believe it when I see it. 3DS and Vita versions releasing later.

Umbrella Corps

- Platform(s): PS4 & PC
- Genre: Third-Person Shooter
- Online: Yes.
- Comments: Multiplayer only.

Purino Party

- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Visual Novel / Puzzle
- Online: N/A

Past Releases

June 12th - June 18th

June 5th - June 11th

May 29th - June 4th

May 22nd - May 28th

May 15th - May 21st

I believe the new Fairy Fencer F got pushed back until the last Tuesday in July.  Iffy's online store hasn't even put a CE exclusive up yet, which I'm pretty sure they will do since they have done for all their other releases.

Also, Grand Kingdom (physical) was pushed back until 6/28.  Digital still comes out 6/21.

I believe the new Fairy Fencer F got pushed back until the last Tuesday in July. Iffy's online store hasn't even put a CE exclusive up yet, which I'm pretty sure they will do since they have done for all their other releases.
And that's what happens when I can't reliably update the wiki anymore to keep information up-to-date that I use on the weekly release posting. I guess I need to start double-checking releases that are listed on there if I continue to use it as my first initial source at this point, which makes it kind of pointless.

I believe the new Fairy Fencer F got pushed back until the last Tuesday in July. Iffy's online store hasn't even put a CE exclusive up yet, which I'm pretty sure they will do since they have done for all their other releases.

Also, Grand Kingdom (physical) was pushed back until 6/28. Digital still comes out 6/21.
I'd wait on FFF to price drop anyways. I have the PS3 version and it's a decent game, but nothing I would buy again day 1 or pre-order.

Has anyone ordered Lord of Magna 3DS recently from Amazon? Game is currently $21 but I'm wondering if anyone that bought it received the first print edition with the soundtrack. Thanks. 

NX need game like bayonetta to stay in the game with ms and sony or new pokemon game on nx, lol
I applauded them for getting Bayonetta, but I knew from the start it was a waste of money. I don't know if they knew it or not, as with "N" you never know WTF they are thinking.

They may have done it as a way to say, "Hey, look how cool we are". While I don't know how much they paid, it couldn't have been cheap, as was never going to sale millions or even move consoles.

They could pay to get 3, 4 and 5 made, and it isn't going to do nothing for them. As well received as the first games was, it never sold tons even on hardcore consoles. And putting on a "N" console was a DOA idea.

Rockstar putting GTA on the DS was another example of this. "M" rated games and "N" don't go together. The kids who would play these kinds of titles can't get them, and the fans that can get them, don't want to play them on a "N" console.

NX need game like bayonetta to stay in the game with ms and sony or new pokemon game on nx, lol
I would kill for another good pokemon game like colosseum and gale of darkness xd. No random encounters, double battle standard, can rebattle trainers whenever you want. catch trainers pokemon was a nice challenge as well. Just imagine the mt battle with the new exp systems in place. grind to level 50 in a few minutes.

I applauded them for getting Bayonetta, but I knew from the start it was a waste of money. I don't know if they knew it or not, as with "N" you never know WTF they are thinking.

They may have done it as a way to say, "Hey, look how cool we are". While I don't know how much they paid, it couldn't have been cheap, as was never going to sale millions or even move consoles.

They could pay to get 3, 4 and 5 made, and it isn't going to do nothing for them. As well received as the first games was, it never sold tons even on hardcore consoles. And putting on a "N" console was a DOA idea.

Rockstar putting GTA on the DS was another example of this. "M" rated games and "N" don't go together. The kids who would play these kinds of titles can't get them, and the fans that can get them, don't want to play them on a "N" console.
another issue is that the original userbase was on the 360 and to a lesser extent the ps3. moving to wiiu seriously hurts them as not all the people who played it will jump consoles. Its the same thing that has hurt the tales of series.

He also mentioned thinking of Okami 2, which I'd love to see :)

I'm guessing it didn't move consoles and the sales numbers probably didn't meet their goals either. If vgchartz is close, it sold half as much as the first game.

Still, it probably wouldn't be a bad release window game to deput the NX with.
:nottalking:

another issue is that the original userbase was on the 360 and to a lesser extent the ps3. moving to wiiu seriously hurts them as not all the people who played it will jump consoles. Its the same thing that has hurt the tales of series.
Something like this. Perhaps if the Wii U had been comparable in specs/3rd Party support as the X1/PS4 a game like Bayonetta 2 could have been a deciding factor. But it's not enough to sell a console on its own. People who want Mario games are not quite the same as those who would want a Bayonetta. You'd almost have to hope those people get a Wii U as a second console, but Nintendo has never priced it as such. Heck, you can get an Xbox One for less than a Wii U and it has a much more robust library. If the Wii U were in the $199 range, it could have been an impulse type pick up.

I rather wanted to get one to play Splatoon and Bayonetta 2. I think my kids would dig Splatoon, but the $300 buy-in was a bridge too far (particularly when my kids are still young enough to be entertained by the 360 Kinect games). Getting my 'adult' gaming elsewhere (PC), it's just no point for us.

If it somehow got to come to PC though, even if not until the NX has replaced the Wii U, I'd buy B2.

He also mentioned thinking of Okami 2, which I'd love to see :)
It would have to be a brand new franchise / spiritual successor. Seeing as Capcom now owns that franchise and I doubt Platinum would be willing to play ball with Capcom after that sour break up they had sometime back (When Platinum was Clover Studios)

Has anyone ordered Lord of Magna 3DS recently from Amazon? Game is currently $21 but I'm wondering if anyone that bought it received the first print edition with the soundtrack. Thanks.
since its an xseed game, unless it was really popular, most of their releases are only one print runs so most likely it has both, but i dont remeber if when i bought it it was already in the case or seperate, if it came in the case then it will have it

WTF is up with Kamiya Old tweet. Jeez.

https://twitter.com/pg_kamiya/status/288816739297419265

If he's that flippant, I can sort of understand why the Wii U didn't get more Platinum games like the Transformers or TMNT if not because of Nintendo's typical negligence.

bread's done
Back