Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
First Impressions Mini-Review (ok maybe not so mini) of: Hatsune Miku Project Diva Future Tone on PS4

(edited & streamlined now with less rambling!)

Value: It costs roughly $85 split in 2 bundles that are $40 a piece + Tax. The value comes from this game having every MIKU SONG that's been put into a game minus Miku Project Diva X. After 6 hours of playing nonstop (must sleep and eat because I'm a feeble human!) I've done 25-30% of the songs.

Take a look at this:

prgoress.jpg

that scroll on the left is for the whole song list, I've been going down it on normal & as you can see I've YET MUCH MORE TO DO!

Colorful Tone: CT has all of the songs from the 3DS & Arcade games.

Future Sound: FS has all of the songs from the Project Diva PSP & VITA games.

If you haven't played either set of games then you're in for a surprise!

Customization: There's over 345 Modules! Each with matching hairstyle. You can now put on a hair style from 1 module on another with ease! (this was a feature in the Mirai 3DS games)

There's also the typical accessories you can buy all unlocked from the start. If you've played PD X you know they lock items, not here. Everything is unlocked you just get Diva Points after every song & spend them on whatever you want!

Controls: I won't lie there's a bit getting used to the new controls (Mainly HOLD) the big left and right arrows are like the STARS on the VITA games flip the thumbstick left/right to activate at will. There's double presses of 2 different buttons & Hold which is basically where you have to hold 1-2-3 or even 4 buttons at once. It can be a pain to get used to but you don't have to hold it if you just wanna get a perfect, its OPTIONAL! (You can also change the way notes are displayed up/down/left/right or X,O,[],/\ it's really up to you & whatever you're comfortable with)

Difficulty: There's 5 Difficulties: Easy/Normal/Hard/Extreme/Extra Extreme (Not every song has Extra Extreme versions) The game does seem to be a bit more difficult than let's say Diva F2nd which is widely known to be a bit of a bitch on extreme. This one is probably harder than that or at least on that level of difficulty. But don't worry! There's a PRACTICE MODE! where you can find a specific part of a song that's giving you trouble & replay it over and over until you do it properly! (that's for you perfectionists out there)

GRAFFIX: The visuals are amazing! 1080P 60FPS for us console pleebs this is magnificent! You can see the notes flying thru the screen and it took a few songs to get the hang of how fast they were coming in even in normal!

Streaming & Game Capture: The only drawback so far is that if you wish to stream/capture video to post on youtube the audio of the songs is muted by default. You can't hear it once it's captured or while you're streaming. It seems like Sega has done this in the past so people who knew of this got capture cards to get around it.

All in All if you like Miku, GET THIS! The value is Insane.

Extras: There's a Photography mode where you can pause at any point & take pictures & use them as loading screens! Pretty nifty if you ask me & also You can use your main US Account to play the game & still get achievements normally. You still have to buy it on a Japanese account but it's playable on your US one. It's a separate savefile than the japanese account one if you're using the same PS4 for both accounts!

As much as I dislike the censorship in TMS it's like others have said, "it's that or nothing". I've been on the fence for a while (actually cancelled my SE cause I thought it was still available, fortunately Best Buy got it back up briefly and I got it again). It's just sadly the state that Nintendo is in, I even joked about it with someone at the Atlus booth at E3 cause I asked about changes in SMT 4 Final (there were complaints about Krishna who will still be in the game).  The fact that it's Wii U has me a little more accepting, if anything I regret keeping my Fire Emblem: Fates SE since it's much easier to get fan translated version.

Ok, I think you just sold me on this. I need it now! :D
Good! I've been blown away by this game. (even though I was already super hyped about it) Just going down the list not knowing what song is next & either getting a new song or a song I know & love is amazing, smiling from ear to ear nonstop!

Wait... so Miku X has all of her songs? Even the dlc songs from F & 2nd F ?
Like Draco stated (made a bigger focus to explain properly in my original post). You get everything but Project Diva X.

Which just going by the the way this game looks, that game will look even better at least when it comes to models.

The Censored gaming channel on youtube has about every current known change for Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

But yes a censored game is better than no game at all especially if you do not speak or read in the native language of the games origin, but for me I rather avoid a game that is censored as much as Tokyo Mirage Sessions was than play it, however for others the changes might not bother them and they will pick it up since its game play is pretty good from what I have been reading.

I guess i am just a stickler when it comes to localization to the extreme that some companies do and btw atlus is the localization team but was told while be supervised by nintendo of america that the current changes in Tokyo Mirage Sessions had to be made.

I will never get use to a company whos' moto is "Toys for kids" even though a vast major of these kids are 15+ years old, but I guess I can't stand that nintendo of america treats its customers like children that need to be babied and protected which in in my eyes a insult.

Sadly people tend to buy these games up like they are limited run games that they will never see again which just lets the very out of touch with society people that seem to be in charge NOA think that "Hey this game sold well and the changes we made got us more sales, lets continue doing that but lets turn it up a notch" which it seems ever game that is 3rd party lately  seems to getter more and more extreme when it comes to changes before being released.

But in the end if you want to play Tokyo Mirage Sessions and not bothered by all the changes and still enjoy it all the more power to you, I however want to at lease try to make it clear to nintendo of america or any company for that matter that make these kind of extreme changes that I am not ok with it.

Which is why consoles that are region free I won't hesitate to import the game if the localized version of the game been altered too much be it translations or content.

Still its a good sign that this game sold well and people like even though it was changed as much as it did, at lease it will make more companies consider trying to bring over other japan only niche games over here.

Thanks for the Future Tone review! I've been playing a bit myself and the amount of gameplay available is overwhelming. 

For those of us who can't read japanese, here's a video that explains how to navigate all the menus. I had trouble accessing survival mode for example, but its pretty straight forward once you know all the options. 

I think I know what game I'll be playing everyday now...A rhythm game at 60fps is simply glorious.

Ohhh ok, i don't know why my mind replaced future tone with X.
So is future tone/color confirmed for the west yet? is this digital only, or a physical w/ the other half being a giant dlc ?, Does both bundles in physical format exsist ?

Ohhh ok, i don't know why my mind replaced future tone with X.
So is future tone/color confirmed for the west yet? is this digital only, or a physical w/ the other half being a giant dlc ?, Does both bundles in physical format exsist ?
It's currently digital only for PS4 on the Japanese and (I think?) Asian PSN store. The free base game is Prelude (includes 2 songs) and you can buy either the "Future Sound" or "Colorful Tone" packs for more songs.

I honestly don't think it will come to West intact considering licensing, but I remember a tweet someone posted that hinted at a possible localization.

The Censored gaming channel on youtube has about every current known change for Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

But yes a censored game is better than no game at all especially if you do not speak or read in the native language of the games origin, but for me I rather avoid a game that is censored as much as Tokyo Mirage Sessions was than play it, however for others the changes might not bother them and they will pick it up since its game play is pretty good from what I have been reading.

I guess i am just a stickler when it comes to localization to the extreme that some companies do and btw atlus is the localization team but was told while be supervised by nintendo of america that the current changes in Tokyo Mirage Sessions had to be made.

I will never get use to a company whos' moto is "Toys for kids" even though a vast major of these kids are 15+ years old, but I guess I can't stand that nintendo of america treats its customers like children that need to be babied and protected which in in my eyes a insult.

Sadly people tend to buy these games up like they are limited run games that they will never see again which just lets the very out of touch with society people that seem to be in charge NOA think that "Hey this game sold well and the changes we made got us more sales, lets continue doing that but lets turn it up a notch" which it seems ever game that is 3rd party lately seems to getter more and more extreme when it comes to changes before being released.

But in the end if you want to play Tokyo Mirage Sessions and not bothered by all the changes and still enjoy it all the more power to you, I however want to at lease try to make it clear to nintendo of america or any company for that matter that make these kind of extreme changes that I am not ok with it.

Which is why consoles that are region free I won't hesitate to import the game if the localized version of the game been altered too much be it translations or content.

Still its a good sign that this game sold well and people like even though it was changed as much as it did, at lease it will make more companies consider trying to bring over other japan only niche games over here.
I know you're new here. But censorship discussion comes up on here in this thread, every week. It is old and stale. None of it is new nor interesting. In fact, several people don't appreciate it at all. This particular topic with this particular game has been discussed several times already.

Future Tone is fantastic.

Anyone who has it (or anyone in general if they want) should add me on PSN if you aren't already my friend
mmmpepsi

Not Japanese, but definitely niche, Ori and the blind forest is a fantastic metroidvania. Anyone waiting on bloodstained should play it.

Not Japanese, but definitely niche, Ori and the blind forest is a fantastic metroidvania. Anyone waiting on bloodstained should play it.
Ehh, I'm not sure it's niche when a ton of people are getting it for free with new Xbox Ones. It does look good though. I've been considering the limited edition.

I had Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE locked with the Amazon Price 20% Discount, but my prime expired on Monday. When it ships, will the price be honored? Or will I get charged full price? Thanks guys. 

I had Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE locked with the Amazon Price 20% Discount, but my prime expired on Monday. When it ships, will the price be honored? Or will I get charged full price? Thanks guys.
Pretty sure it'll be honored since you bought it whenever you had Prime.

I know you're new here. But censorship discussion comes up on here in this thread, every week. It is old and stale. None of it is new nor interesting. In fact, several people don't appreciate it at all. This particular topic with this particular game has been discussed several times already.

Eh let him get it off his chest. It ain't hurting nobody.

With the recent change in terms that they didn't announce and only discussion I've seen it being on the cag thread, it may not honor your order price. But please let us know if they do. I'm gonna have a bone to pick with amazon come July.

Does anyone know if it's PDX or Future Tone that's supposed to have the PV mode where it'll play them without having to select them one after the other? I could have sworn I read one of them was supposed to have it?

A censored game can still be enjoyable but that doesn't mean you can't criticize or question the necessity of it.  There are companies who pride themselves on not censoring anything unless necessary to avoid an AO rating.

I can understand changing things due to the fact that some things may be acceptable in one culture but not another. Sometimes those who are localizing (aka Nintendo) are just way off on what those things are.

Omfg, all the wonderful Hatsune Miku today! I'll probably never leave my house again. Hands down, the greatest game of all time! I mean seriously, don't even bother. Just buy it!

I'm just going to echo what NeoMonk, DaveyDarko, and whoknows. Future Tone is the Ultimate Vocaloid Rhythm game!!

I swear, my hands and wrists are a little swore after playing so much today. Also, you know you've been playing Japanese games too much when you keeping hitting circle button for accept / input lol.

I was mostly playing on hard with a little dabbling into extreme. If you even remotely good at other Project Diva games, this is will knock you down a peg or two.

After I finished the 6 star master course, I was #32 worldwide. I know that won't last but it's good to be in the top 50 for a little while.

I also highly suggest mapping one button for all when you need to press all 4 buttons unless you're a super purist. It has made those note sections much more enjoyable.

I haven't made any macros for the triple combo but not many of those in hard difficulty songs I've played so far.

I found this out from a Youtube video, but when you're changing module, press L2+R2 for the songs recommended module if it has one.

Backer codes went out for Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, the Demo is pretty neat.
I concur. Ran smooth as butter for me on PC, which was good. Backgrounds are decent enough, but can always be improved. Miriel's model in action flowed pretty well and looks good, but animation may be a tiny bit too stiff on transitions. Gameplay/mechanics wise it's damn near identical to 2D castlevania games. I do hope they change some the enemy models a bit though. While I could live with the way they look it leaves a bit to be desired, such as the demo boss. She looked like a mass of different colored ink rather than whatever the hell she was supposed to be.

So, with all this talk of Future Tone, whats the best way to buy the game off the Japanese PSN store? Can I just use a credit card? Do I need to buy store credit? Where's the best place to get it?

So, with all this talk of Future Tone, whats the best way to buy the game off the Japanese PSN store? Can I just use a credit card? Do I need to buy store credit? Where's the best place to get it?
You have to buy a Japanese PSN card. From what I've heard, and where I got it, the best place is Play Asia. Probably best off just getting the ¥10,000 card to have some available for future dlc.

Hey I don't like Nintendo changing the clothes of the characters in TMS either, but that doesn't actually affect the quality of the game.
This is definitely a game I want to play:

Swimsuit-3.jpg

But if you take her out of the swimsuit, it's still a game I definitely want to play. It's a shame, but for some reason I'm less bummed about this one - probably since its core focus didn't feel like it was fanservice in the first place, or something.

Steam Summer Sale is live, but it's choking under the load like it always does when it first goes live. I'll probably try and post some thread related deals later on like I did in a previous Steam sale. Pretty time consuming, so don't expect it soon.

bread's done
Back