Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Sonic 06 part is the best.

But realistically, comparing those loading times to loading times of games today, they don't look as bad as they once did.

I think like many console gamers, I'm reluctant to transition over to gaming primarily on the PC. Part of it is what you said, I want to try to stick with physical media as long as I can.
same not to mention gaming pc's are costly to maintain/update. while yes many games such as tales of can run on the average 4 year old laptop most cannot. Hell some of my friends said they were able to run it on their toaster of a pc zesty wise. Plus I'm not computer literate enough to do most things :/

As long as niche games keep coming out physical on the consoles i'll keep buying them. If they turn to all digital....it will likely just be exclusives and cheap games during PSN sales and such.

same not to mention gaming pc's are costly to maintain/update. while yes many games such as tales of can run on the average 4 year old laptop most cannot. Hell some of my friends said they were able to run it on their toaster of a pc zesty wise. Plus I'm not computer literate enough to do most things :/
Actually powerful pc hardware has never been cheaper. It's mainly about know what to buy that confuses people. You don't really need the latest and greatest pc hardware. It's pretty amazing the kind of pc you can build on cheap if you know what to look for.

Actually powerful pc hardware has never been cheaper. It's mainly about know what to buy that confuses people. You don't really need the latest and greatest pc hardware. It's pretty amazing the kind of pc you can build on cheap if you know what to look for.
So true. After high school, I built a cheap computer for like $400-500 and was able to play anything I wanted at the time on decent settings.

PC gamers nowadays gets to benefit from SSD.

You young whipper snappers are spoiled!

no_game_no_life___hatsuse_ino_by_whiteshadow_24-d7m8y7a.gif

Love my ps4, vita and ps3 but when it comes done to it I still love my pc even more then those three combined.

Well, for the Nep-Nep, and IFI (Idea Factory Int.) fans that are going to AX (Anime Expo) at the LACC (Los Angeles Convention Center), and for those that missed them, IFI (for the first time, they mention) will be having a booth at the Exhibit Hall, and will be selling leftover LE's (Limited Editions that were sold out on their online store of course, probably don't expect Nep. Rebirth 1 LE since it was a 1000 units which has been OOP for quite a while. That, and Misc. Merchandise available to purchase at their booth, and later on their online store after AX.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YHehu7h6gE

It's a great time to enter the market with the RX480 coming out at $200 and AMD Zen coming in October to drive CPU prices down. Even today there's good deals on Devil's Canyon chips.

Been playing Future Tone, and while it is a ton of fun and great value content-wise, I won't be tossing out my copies of F and F 2nd just yet. Don't get me wrong, it's a great game and it'll see tons of playtime on my PS4, but from what I understand, the beatmaps are pulled directly from the arcade. And while they work great on an arcade cabinet (in my experience), it feels a little...off on a controller. I don't know exactly how to put it, but the beatmaps designed for a gamepad in F and F 2nd just feel a bit "cleaner" or "smoother" or something like that. If I could get ahold of an arcade-style controller (do those exist?) the game would probably be darn close to perfect, though.

But honestly, that mild ported-from-a-different-control-scheme feeling is really the only negative I have with the game at the moment. I decided to just stick the game on Hard, sort by difficulty, and start working my way up, and I'm having a great time, though I am feeling a little overwhelmed by the sheer number of songs. I've put in several hours and I'm still only on the 5 star songs. Got a long way to go before everything is unlocked on Extreme...

I'm somewhat disappointed we haven't had anymore Inazuma Eleven games in NA.....What I played of the first one (which I did buy on release) was pretty fun and not bad. I've heard the later games really improve on the earlier ones as well. I wonder if Youkai Watch 2 is a big improvement on the first since that one was OK but not great. And I would rather buy a new Pokemon game over that if I really want a monster catching game.

So true. After high school, I built a cheap computer for like $400-500 and was able to play anything I wanted at the time on decent settings.
while that may be cheap by gaming rig pc standards its not cheap by my standards. Plus me and the average person don't know how to build a computer. Though I hear there are services where you can pick out the parts and they do the rest for you which sounds nice.

Anywho I imagine most of us stick with consoles simply in part that they are considerably cheaper than a pc is. That an console exclusives. Though those will get less and less common now that jrpg devs are moving to steam. Which is cool since the sales support the move. Especially for tales of as zesty sold over 100k on there where as console wise it couldn't even manage half that with both versions combined. Though that may be more of a sign that zesty wasn't good and the 10-20$ cheaper price plus free symphonia didn't hurt either I'd say (free symphonia and mod potential was the reason I picked up pc)

while that may be cheap by gaming rig pc standards its not cheap by my standards. Plus me and the average person don't know how to build a computer. Though I hear there are services where you can pick out the parts and they do the rest for you which sounds nice.
I get what you're saying. For PC parts though, there's usually rebates that you can do, so you can save even more money. And putting together a computer isn't that difficult, and shouldn't take that long to learn if you take the time.

Assembling a PC is actually very easy.   You can do it yourself.  The only tricky part is attaching the case wires  correctly to the corresponding spots on the motherboard.  You know, so the power button works, fans get powered, lights light up.  Everything else is a cinch.

^yea especially with modular power supply now a days, u don't have to run so much wires. Just watch some YouTube video u can put computer together.

If I could get ahold of an arcade-style controller (do those exist?) the game would probably be darn close to perfect, though.
Welp you have two options:

If you want the PRIMO shit there's this which is hella expensive but it works on the PS4 via an adapter. (I've spoken with a British guy on twitch who has one of these and it works wonderfully, closest thing you'll get to an arcade experience)

Then ofcourse there's the Project DIVA X Mini Fightstick that's coming out in August. (I'm getting it)

According to reviews (Since it's the same as the PS3 one) it does the job, but it's also significantly smaller than the one i linked up top. So for example people have complained that the tap buttons are too small you can "miss them" dunno what that means lol. I have seen a few youtube videos from different people using the PS3 model of these and getting perfects on F2nd toughest songs... So I'd say if you can get used to it, then it clearly works.

There's no perfect answer but there's at least options.

Btw the one Sovereign linked has been confirmed not to work but perhaps it does via another adapter, not the one used for the big arcade controller.

Sidenote: It's funny you say that's overwhelming because I felt it too last night. After 12 1/2 hours I've only done 130 songs so far in 2 days of playing... So I'm thinking maybe a 4 day affair to do the song list just once! That's nuts!

Sort of off topic, but that other thread regarding the $15 off coupon for ebay purchases over $75 is great. So if you guys are looking at anything on ebay, this deal might be what helps you make the final decision.

I ended up getting a God Eater figure that I saw posted yesterday. At first I was hesitant to order it since I am kinda running out of space for figures and the price maybe seemed a little high, but this coupon made me decide otherwise. Glad I saw this deal today.  :)

Looks like there was a problem with the watch bonus for Zero Time Dilemma. Not sure how to properly show the tweet, but here's the link it.
ZTD preorder bonus game/watch bundles were damaged in transit. The watches were sent back to the factory, but game units are on time.

If you preordered ZTD w/ watch, you'll get the game, but the watches will be a few weeks behind. You WILL STILL GET YOUR WATCH.

You'll get your bonus watch, and a bonus for the bonus being late. We're going to make this right. @Aksys_Danny can field all questions.

Got my TMS from Amazon.. piss poor packaging. No protection and just a loose bubble mailer. Beat up corners on the box :\

Not really a big deal for me, but still.

Anyone that missed out on TMS and still wants one should check eBay. There's a lot of buy it nows for $85 and you could use the $15 off code

ZTD preorder bonus game/watch bundles were damaged in transit. The watches were sent back to the factory, but game units are on time.

If you preordered ZTD w/ watch, you'll get the game, but the watches will be a few weeks behind. You WILL STILL GET YOUR WATCH.

You'll get your bonus watch, and a bonus for the bonus being late. We're going to make this right. @Aksys_Danny can field all questions.
Damn thats fucky. For all retailers I'm guessing? Wonder how they will be able to keep track of that, I don't feel like dealing with Amazon's BS again. (I still never got my One Piece Burning Blood DLC)

Seems weird thats the second game this month to fuck up pre-orders/LE content.

Well, since I beat Atelier Sophie I guess I'll move on to Tokyo Mirage Session and then to Star Ocean 5 after I beat that. I will probably give a rough rundown on Atelier Sophie later. Still slowly working on that Steam sale list and I think I'm not going to ever do it again unless I find an easier way to produce a list with links/prices/discounts.

As for Tokyo Mirage I'm about 1.5 hours in and the battle system feels good. It's very much a mix of Fire Emblem and Persona (and you have a ton of EP/Mana). Character models are a bit stiff for in-game cutscenes, which is a little bit of a letdown but not really a big deal. Translation seems to be pretty good and matching up with the text. None of that Nintendo completely changing dialogue so far at least (I think I heard Atlus translated it?). Also seems they didn't really do much to censor the adults, which you'll understand what I mean when you get about 1-1.5 hours in because I know everybody loves to talk about censorship. I'm also glad that attacking enemies in dungeons doesn't automatically put you in battle, but stuns enemies which allows you to gain initiative or just run away. Finally, the only thing that somewhat bothers me is the slightly longer than average loading times for battle/menus. Oh and I guess that they force you to use the Wii U Gamepad for certain things.

Oh and it looks like the DLC in the Special Edition package is roughly $9 or $10 worth according to the eShop when I went to download it.

Damn thats fucky. For all retailers I'm guessing? Wonder how they will be able to keep track of that, I don't feel like dealing with Amazon's BS again. (I still never got my One Piece Burning Blood DLC)

Seems weird thats the second game this month to fuck up pre-orders/LE content.
I don't know how Amazon will handle it, but Gamestop sent me an email earlier stating they will ship the watches later, and the game at launch. I guess Askys, or whom ever made the mistake on their end will cover retailers shipping cost for doing it twice.

I really don't know how a company who has done these watches twice already drops the ball on such a HUGE release, but shit happens I guess. I'll see how it goes, but any order where my watch doesn't show up will be getting returned.

Damn. Well as long as the game ships on time, it's good. My prime runs out just after it's release. Still amazon hasn't even put a release date even though we've known for months.

Translation seems to be pretty good and matching up with the text. None of that Nintendo completely changing dialogue so far at least
It was done by Atlus. And there was a line that was completely changed but they redubbed it in japanese to hide it.

And always appreciate the lists, but if you just wanna do a smaller selection of good deals you noticed, that's fine too. The sale's not very good tbqh. You could just list the IFI sales and call it a day. They're the only ones giving any decent discounts.

I am confused. Does that mean there's going to be an Azure Strike Gunvolt physical game? Including both the sequel and the first game? That article is very ambiguous. I was just getting ready to buy it on Steam so would like to know what's up.
I hope so, I would love a physical copy.

And always appreciate the lists, but if you just wanna do a smaller selection of good deals you noticed, that's fine too. The sale's not very good tbqh. You could just list the IFI sales and call it a day. They're the only ones giving any decent discounts.
There are some others that aren't by big publishing companies that have some pretty decent discounts too. At this point though, I've gone too far to throw it away. It may be a day or two until I get the list done working on it here and there, but eh, not a huge deal.

Got my TMS from Amazon.. piss poor packaging. No protection and just a loose bubble mailer. Beat up corners on the box :\

Not really a big deal for me, but still.
This is legit the only reason I don't have a prime membership. The shipping is fast and 20% off is great, but their packaging is shit for any video game with an outer cardboard box. They'll usually do an exchange, but that's little consolation if the item has since sold out.

I bought gift wrapping for extra protection when I bought Hyperdimension Neptunia Re:Birth 1's LE from Amazon with the gift note being "PLEASE SHIP ME IN A BOX" I've had such bad luck with them.

That item did in fact come in a box fortunately. :p

bread's done
Back