Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not my Original Post. Credit goes to PK Gaming@neogaf

Let's talk about Battle Flow 

Everyone here should at least be somewhat aware of this concept. Basically, i'm talking about how a particular battle progresses in an RPG. Chrono Trigger and Earthbound are examples of games that have good Battle Flow. Low loading times + generally quick attack animations lack of random encounter contribute to a fast paced, refreshing experience. Final Fantasy 9 and Persona 2 on the other hand, have poor battle flow. Long loading times + slowish attack animation on top of random encounters make it a chore to play through. 

Persona 5 has the best battle flow I've seen in an RPG, period. From the beginning:
qFz9WIN.gif

The transition here is nearly seamless. The game immediately puts you straight into the action. The music starts and the player is ready.
Kq3xAgB.gif

There is no menu. Nearly every action can be performed with simple button presses. We also see the new Persona switching animation. Not only is it incredibly stylish, but it's very quick now too. No more messing around with several menus. You pick a Persona and it just happens. The attack animation themselves are quicker than before, but the game doesn't sacrifice quality—they still look great. Persona attacks in particular no longer take up the entire screen . They still look amazing, but they don't slow down the pace of a battle and this has the effect of significantly improving the pace.
4Rv554a.gif

One More! has returned and it's made abundantly clear why they didn't get rid of One More! The system is designed to speed up battles and keep the player's momentum going. Even from a superficial perspective, it always felt incredibly satisfying to string several One More Hits in a row, and P5 makes it feel even better with its incredible visuals and feedback from the party members.
vOIZPW0.gif

HEY! HOLD UP! The hold up system is an evolution from the all out system. You're given the ability to negotiate with enemies, but this is thankfully optional. The All Out Attack animation is pretty good, but by far the best aspect of it is the character specific artwork that appears after an AoA. They're fun and stylish, and you're pretty bound to see all of them as you play through the game.

Fantasy 9 and Persona 2 on the other hand, have poor battle flow. Long loading times + slowish attack animation on top of random encounters make it a chore to play through.
People on gaf say stupid things sometimes
all the time

There is no menu.
I think whoever the idiot that wrote that ment there would be no menus which is more than likely false too considering it would be way to cluttered to take out sub menu options and put everything on the wheel. Anywho while load times and animations wont be an issue (they never were in 3 or 4 so I don't know why they brought it up) the negotiation and such animations are adding on uneeded extra time which kinda goes against speeding the game up. But anywho the stupid advantageous assault system they put in is going to add more time than anything I imagine. Could of made it normal instead of the need to be over the top. sure it was kinda annoying in p3/4 but it worked for what it was.

the negotiate being optional is nice considering if it works like it did in past games it will only slow combat down if you waste your time on it when fusion is typically faster to get what you want.

all the time
well to be fair they probably were referring to the original version on a ps1 and not any of the ports and such. played on my ps3 the load times were considerably lower than I expected. Outside the occasional long ass one like with quiz guy.

all the time
Yeah, but you do know that some people of GAF, are also users on CAG as well (1 or 2 of them here I know the names, at least), you don't wanna insult the CAG community especially the JP niche crowd like us. >.> (But hey, we're already one big happy community regardless and we resolve things no problem! :grouphug: )

But yeah, kinda sucks on the ZTD watches situation and how Aksys will handle it ASAP.

Decided to buy Lost Odyssey today because I had an extra $15 lying around. Can't play it unless I steal my GF's 360 unless they add it to BC for the One, but here is hoping. Had to order it third party seller on Amazon because every GS near me had the GS default case and no manual.

I can't wait to get into Star Ocean on Tuesday. Been looking forward to that one.

Decided to buy Lost Odyssey today because I had an extra $15 lying around. Can't play it unless I steal my GF's 360 unless they add it to BC for the One, but here is hoping. Had to order it third party seller on Amazon because every GS near me had the GS default case and no manual.
I wish they'd add good games to BC on Xbone.

By good games I mean the exclusive RPG's.

I wish they'd add good games to BC on Xbone.

By good games I mean the exclusive RPG's.
Lost Odyssey is the only good exclusive RPG I needed for the 360 so I decided to complete the collection. I pretty much bought all the other good ones already. Here is hoping the become BC so I can get cheevos on my account.

I bought blue dragon months ago hoping it'd show up in the bc list. Still waiting. You'd think Microsoft would be more proactive about getting their exclusives up and running first.

Lost Odyssey is the only good exclusive RPG I needed for the 360 so I decided to complete the collection. I pretty much bought all the other good ones already. Here is hoping the become BC so I can get cheevos on my account.
There are a few I haven't played so it would make my Xbone so much more useful if I could play old games on it.

I also need them to make Trouble Witches Neo BC.

I bought blue dragon months ago hoping it'd show up in the bc list. Still waiting. You'd think Microsoft would be more proactive about getting their exclusives up and running first.

I can't wait to get into Star Ocean on Tuesday. Been looking forward to that one.
Phil already confirmed that they are working on BC for lost odyssey. I assume they will try to get the other mistwalker RPGs too.

They should work on tales of vesperia too which is one of the best jrpgs last gen. Still waiting for another tales as good as it. Just been downhill from there.

There are a few I haven't played so it would make my Xbone so much more useful if I could play old games on it.

I also need them to make Trouble Witches Neo BC.
Yeah, same here, but the problem is, the game's delisted. So, I dunno if they'll bother to make it BC, and I dunno if any 360/X1 games that were delisted were even BC beforehand (for the most of Digital only titles), but I doubt it.

Amazon keeps sending me "Order Update: Good news, your item is eligible for release date delivery" and I'm disappointed every time it's not Zero Time Dilemma and with the Tuesday coming up soon you could say I'm having my own Zero Time Dilemma....

Phil already confirmed that they are working on BC for lost odyssey. I assume they will try to get the other mistwalker RPGs too.

They should work on tales of vesperia too which is one of the best jrpgs last gen. Still waiting for another tales as good as it. Just been downhill from there.
yep its been all downhill since vesperia. though hearts r was good. xillia and graces wern't too bad but had issues that kept me from loving them. gameplay wise with ng+ though graces was pretty damn good. just needed to kill that casting time and more spells from vesperia and such as the spells it had were mostly ass.

Bersia looks good so far spell wise. spark flare or a spell that looks like it is already in as one of laphicets spells. which gives me hope for other good spells to be returning. Or at the very least make good new ones instead of the crappy ones from zesty. Still mad that they nerfed vengeant fangs.

Personally a perfect combo would be vesperias spells and dual weapons overlimit and free run, xillias cc like system, zestias around step and quick step cast reduction, and graces accel mode bonuses for overlimit, narikiri dolls and combo ma titles.

Amazon keeps sending me "Order Update: Good news, your item is eligible for release date delivery" and I'm disappointed every time it's not Zero Time Dilemma and with the Tuesday coming up soon you could say I'm having my own Zero Time Dilemma....
I haven't received any kind of notice from Amazon regarding ZTD. Starting to get worried...

Yeah, MS needs to step up their BC list considering how much they were harping on it last year. I still have a few dozen games that aren't on the list :/

You know, more than anything it makes me regret not getting Valkyria Chronicles...I just couldn't justify it when I have it on PS3 and PC already.
I'm pretty sure the Valkyria Chronicles steelbook is still readily available, I just picked up one at Gamestop a week or two ago.

I'm pretty sure the Valkyria Chronicles steelbook is still readily available, I just picked up one at Gamestop a week or two ago.
Yep, so did I. Picked it up still in the wrapping, and Super Smash Bros for my son. Spent very little thanks to rewards points, and a birthday coupon I had forgotten I owned.

Yep, so did I. Picked it up still in the wrapping, and Super Smash Bros for my son. Spent very little thanks to rewards points, and a birthday coupon I had forgotten I owned.
I was looking around online for local ideas, I tried Frys but they only had plastic. I'll give Gamestop a try after work tomorrow.

MH Generations really snuck up on me. I saw someone streaming the demo & I'm like where can I get a code?

Apparently Nintendo wants you to buy one for $4... because ofcourse... fucking idiots... :wall:

Welp, I broke down and got a hold of a *ahem* free copy of Zero Time for 3DS and I'll just restart/skip over what I play when I get my Vita copy.

bread's done
Back