Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been favoring plastic tubs for long-term game storage. They aren't quite as even as banker's boxes, but I don't have to worry over water damage, or about dry rot eventually destroying the boxes.

You know you're a video game nerd when you fill your closet and drawers with video games and gaming items instead of clothes.

Full disclosure... I do that too (in the spare bedroom anyway) ;)
Tqs4FiQ.gif

I just got an email from GS in regards to my ZTD watch. It says it should be shipping soon, and they'll send tracking when it happens. Now for Amazon to do the same............yeah, right? LOL

As of this hour, the Ys VIII soundtrack on Amazon MP3 is ranked 634 in paid albums. For a Japanese niche title that hasn't even been announced for the west, that's pretty amazing. 

[attachment=23419:Capture2.PNG][attachment=23420:Capture3.PNG]

Right on the heels of No Man's Sky soundtrack. That's a good soundtrack too - better than the game. At the very least it's got waaaaaaayyy more going on.

Still don't have it yet? Quit screwing around and get it. Best soundtrack you might hear this year.

Oh yeah...and Pride & Prejudice's music is pretty good too. Please don't ask how I saw the movie.

The only things I have in my closest besides clothes are my Sega Genesis, N64 and PS2 games.

And a ton of empty anime figure boxes.....

I've been favoring plastic tubs for long-term game storage. They aren't quite as even as banker's boxes, but I don't have to worry over water damage, or about dry rot eventually destroying the boxes.
They're really unattractive, but definitely reliable. I recently had a roof leak problem in part of the room (thankfully not where the collectibles are at). It would've been bad if water were leaking on top of LE's + games instead.

I've got a bunch of those long plastic tubs stored somewhere in my basement filled with old video games and hardware. That reminds me I need to start the process of cleaning those out. They are great though for peace of mind.

If you are just trying to store your collection and not display them, I recommend these. http://www.containerstore.com/s/large-media-box/d?productId=10028031&q=Media%20storage

I have several of them stacked on top of one holding my older games, steel books, and anime. I also use an inventory software to keep track of which box has what in it.

Now as for my figure and big CE collection, those are either on some floating shelves in my media room or stacked "tetris style" in my closet...I'll post pics later to help visualize the clutter.
What software?

I like the giant ones you get at walmart big lots or marcs.  only 7$ and it can hold nearly my entire game collection and the systems.  But I prefer to keep my games in the shelf so I don't have to rummage through the boxes and junk to find something.  On that note it doesn't look like either of the containers listed could hold most games let alone more than 10 or so of them.

I can see this going over real well with everybody. :roll:
Probably because the game is only estimated to be 40-50 hours, it was delayed yet again, and they keep talking about selling DLC. It would have been a lot smarter for him to just keep his mouth shut and not discuss it.

This is one of those situations where they are obviously carving large chunks out of the game and re-branding them into DLC, in order for us to foot the bill for years of development hell.

People don't inherently have a problem with DLC. But when it's presented in the wrong way, it rubs people the wrong way. Like why are you even talking about future DLCs that aren't covered by the season pass, that isn't covered by people buying the $270 edition? It's a bad look. Deliver your damn game first how about.

Anyone who has been paying attention the last few years knows what Square Enix and Capcom is all about nowadays, anyways.

I actually decided to go for the Criminal Girls platinum! Man doing one thing over and over and over for each girl was torture (trying not to spoil, also a bit witty considering this game), but i'm now in the Vita exclusive dungeons and it's a lot more fun with more exp and cp and such. I feel i'm about 5 hours from the platinum and it's been good. I can't wait for Criminal Girls 2....story and characters in the first game were a lot better than I was expecting. I can't wait to get the true ending in the game....will update a bit later.

I can't wait for Criminal Girls 2....story and characters in the first game were a lot better than I was expecting. I can't wait to get the true ending in the game....will update a bit later.
Crap, they sold out of the physical copies of Criminal Girls 2 again at the NIS store.

I guess I should really preorder or buy it the next time it goes up again.

Of course the Criminal Girls 2 LE sold out......before I managed to pre-order one.

For the longest time I thought that I had it ordered, but now that I look at my order history, I only have the Touhou LE and the Psycho-Pass LE pre-ordered......oops   -_-

I'll be on the lookout for it it ever comes back in stock (I doubt it), but maybe it's best this way since I would benefit from saving the $80+.

They're really unattractive, but definitely reliable.
Yes, the slightly sloping sides are particularly annoying. But they are able to store quite a bit, and they stack fairly well. And their design makes them long-lasting and proof against water damage. Not quite as significant for the long-term viability of plastic discs and cases. But cardboard cases and paper inserts... those are another matter. I don't consider the plastic tubs nearly as necessary for some indoor storage, but I refuse to put anything in the garage without them.

Well, finished my replay of Trails of Cold Steel earlier than planned thanks to the fast forward button whenever I felt necessary. Went ahead and saw all of the bonding scenes that have trophies associated with them. If the remaining trophies weren't so dumb (Perform a stupid amount of times.), I'd probably get the platinum. Though I guess I'd have to play it on Nightmare difficulty too.

Force & Criminal Master Quartz are still overpowered as shit from what I remember during my first playthrough as well. Good lord does Criminal Lv 5 destroy bosses and Force Lv 5 clear through trash mobs like nothing. Using Criminal is like performing an S. Craft in between every bosses turn, it's absolutely ridiculous.

Now for the wait... the long painful wait.

I actually decided to go for the Criminal Girls platinum! Man doing one thing over and over and over for each girl was torture (trying not to spoil, also a bit witty considering this game), but i'm now in the Vita exclusive dungeons and it's a lot more fun with more exp and cp and such. I feel i'm about 5 hours from the platinum and it's been good. I can't wait for Criminal Girls 2....story and characters in the first game were a lot better than I was expecting. I can't wait to get the true ending in the game....will update a bit later.
Of all the games that had multiple endings, I felt this one was one of the less tedious, though I did have to do a little grinding to get the girls to a level where it was easier to beat the end bosses. If only it had some DLCs. I pre-ordered CG2 as soon as it came available.

Of all the games that had multiple endings, I felt this one was one of the less tedious, though I did have to do a little grinding to get the girls to a level where it was easier to beat the end bosses. If only it had some DLCs. I pre-ordered CG2 as soon as it came available.
I hated facing that boss before the Vita exclusive stuff. I had a real hard time with the magic girl...kept dying and the battle always took about 20 minutes. I got used to the process but was time consuming. The last time I did it, it was very easy though since I choose my favorite girl (Ran so powerful and tanky!), and the fight was easy.

Planning to replay ToCS before I play 2. I decided to give up on No Man Sky after reading the "endings". Or maybe its time to dip into the backlog and play Legend of Legaia 2.

Woot! My Miku Project Diva X Mini Controller came from Amazon.jp
Miku_X_Controller.jpg

Been using it for about an hour and there's definitely a learning curve but that's expected. Since now you're moving your whole hand not just your fingers. I'll update again in a few weeks to see if there's noticeable improvement.

Btw it does work for PS3 as well, I have to check if it works for Playstation TV later on.
And how much did that cost you. Lol

Planning to replay ToCS before I play 2.
Turned out pretty good for me. I got every characters link/bond number up to meet the minimum requirement for them all to potentially appear in the final bonding event which should change all their dialogue in CS2. Also put me back up-to-date on minor details that have faded over time. Finally reminded me that I love the NPCs in this series and how much work goes into them.

Running a NG+, I still recommend doing all the quests for the continued dialogue in CS2. Other than that, just try and get everybody to 5250 Link EXP, the 'later' party members at around 4000, Sara should be around 4400 I think and Towa needs to be 2000 (But that's a hidden value for her). It's also nice not having to worry about collecting everything you did in your first playthrough.

What's the rpg style game again that has a preorder up kickstarter styler for a collectors edition where if you preorder before end of september or something it's $20 cheaper but it doesn't actually come out until feb or something? I thought I had bookmarked it but I can't remember what it's called. It's sold from the company but shipped by amazon. I think available on both PS4 and VITA

Well, finished my replay of Trails of Cold Steel earlier than planned thanks to the fast forward button whenever I felt necessary. Went ahead and saw all of the bonding scenes that have trophies associated with them. If the remaining trophies weren't so dumb (Perform <X> a stupid amount of times.), I'd probably get the platinum. Though I guess I'd have to play it on Nightmare difficulty too.

Force & Criminal Master Quartz are still overpowered as shit from what I remember during my first playthrough as well. Good lord does Criminal Lv 5 destroy bosses and Force Lv 5 clear through trash mobs like nothing. Using Criminal is like performing an S. Craft in between every bosses turn, it's absolutely ridiculous.

Now for the wait... the long painful wait.
which gems are those again? I think criminal was crowes?

anywho yeah force is broken once you put it on someone other than rean. preferrably laura or fie since they can one shot enemies with little cp cost with his on plus accessories to increase cp gain.

[preview]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUTh8pyzZl0&list=PLOzRBsDgSbxx8oMLq-8wivrrgfyX0gmmT&index=20[/preview]

Oh my...after watching this footage I think I'm going to cave and buy Project Diva X. Call me a graphics whore, but I never realized how stunning the game looks in true HD on the PS4. 1080p 60 fps looks amazing even on Youtube.

The Project Diva character models just seem to suit the characters better too compared to the plastic, doll-like graphics of Future Tone. Screw it I'm going to buy it.

Of course the Criminal Girls 2 LE sold out......before I managed to pre-order one.
VGP has stocked it:

https://www.videogamesplus.ca/criminal-girls-party-favors-party-bag-edition-vita-p-24169.html

This probably explains how the stock quickly zeroed out. Keep an eye on it maybe popping onto Amazon.com too...

I'm OVERJOYED it popped on a Canadian site. My total price shipped to my door is nigh identical to buying it from NISA and shipping it inside the USA and importing it myself. So I save a drive to the USA, and maybe having a boarder guard ask to physically handle the game I'm bringing in, and while he's holding it, have to answer questions about the game. Yes, that has happened to me at the boarder. And it's why I was hesitant to order Criminal Girls 2.

My price is actually cheaper because of tax. :D

Still going to pass for now though.

Honestly, I don't see that I'm going to have that hard of a time getting a copy to play later on, so probably just going to chillax on it for the time being.

My price is actually cheaper because of tax. :D

Still going to pass for now though.

Honestly, I don't see that I'm going to have that hard of a time getting a copy to play later on, so probably just going to chillax on it for the time being.
Knowing NISA's track record, they'll magically find some new stock right before, or a little after the release date. I was lucky that they kept my pre-order for Criminal Girls: Invite Only after I had forgotten I pre-ordered it using an old debit card. They ended up sending me the game a month after release.

I have some spare Amazon credit and picked up the PS4 ver. of X for $12.74. I need to get the plat on this. I have x2 plat for Project Diva F (ps3 and vita), F 2nd Plat and missing only the PV watching/pic taking trophies in FT

If you are just trying to store your collection and not display them, I recommend these. http://www.containerstore.com/s/large-media-box/d?productId=10028031&q=Media%20storage

I have several of them stacked on top of one holding my older games, steel books, and anime. I also use an inventory software to keep track of which box has what in it.

Now as for my figure and big CE collection, those are either on some floating shelves in my media room or stacked "tetris style" in my closet...I'll post pics later to help visualize the clutter.
What software?
I'm curious to know as well. My wife and I may be looking into moving in the next year or two and I'd love to be able to use software to track what of our crap is in what box.

[preview]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUTh8pyzZl0&list=PLOzRBsDgSbxx8oMLq-8wivrrgfyX0gmmT&index=20[/preview]

Oh my...after this watching footage I think I'm going to cave and buy Project Diva X. Call me a graphics whore, but I never realized how stunning the game looks in true HD on the PS4. 1080p 60 fps looks amazing even on Youtube.

The Project Diva character models just seem to suit the characters better too compared to the plastic, doll-like graphics of Future Tone. Screw it I'm going to buy it.
Man, that does look pretty. I just got done saying over in the Vita thread that any game on Vita might as well be exclusive to Vita for me, but I might have to switch my pre-order to PS4. To be fair, I do have f and f 2nd on Vita if I want to play Miku on the road, so it's not like getting X for PS4 limits me as much as other games would. Hm, what to do...

bread's done
Back