Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so used to seeing Season Passes for $40 - $50 that I thought this was a price glitch.

etahh_zpsjqtnklal.gif

I'm going to wait on picking up the Season Pass, certainly worth considering at that price point.

Gotta see if the game will deliver first.. 

I didn't know any better place to ask this, but can anyone who has a copy of Project Diva X for the PS4, check if it has a manual or any paper inside the game case?

I bought a used copy off Amazon for $22, and I thought the price was too good, so probably something was missing. Thanks.

The glasses pouch is missing. The game has no manual or inserts.
On a semi-related note, I really miss the days of video game manuals, especially the more creative ones that made it look like the developers actually enjoyed making the game. And to think, back then, not only were manuals included--but most games were released without need of patches...

I didn't know any better place to ask this, but can anyone who has a copy of Project Diva X for the PS4, check if it has a manual or any paper inside the game case?

I bought a used copy off Amazon for $22, and I thought the price was too good, so probably something was missing. Thanks.
I don't remember seeing anything in mine, but I will check when I get home.

I can also verify that there's no manual or insert in the game.

It's not a Japanese niche game BUT it does have waifus! Overwatch is currently running a Halloween promotion to get new loot boxes with Halloween specific skins, taunts, etc. Be sure to join the CAG Overwatch group BlackRockWaifu created on PS4 so we can play together because the world could always use more heroes waifus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9duyq-lgG30

On a semi-related note, I really miss the days of video game manuals, especially the more creative ones that made it look like the developers actually enjoyed making the game. And to think, back then, not only were manuals included--but most games were released without need of patches...
Don't forget the ones with bugs which were treated as a feature that even get mentioned in manuals like the glitch in Sonic 3 where you could sometimes get stuck inside walls were claimed to be sneaky traps made by Eggman to capture Sonic and the only way out is resetting the game.

This might not matter to anyone besides me (or maybe everyone already knew and I'm the last to find out), but apparently DQ Builders takes a roguelike-ish approach when you progress in the story:

http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps4/dragon_quest_builders

This is a bit of a turnoff for me, as I've never liked that aspect of roguelikes.
It's actually not that bad now that I've beaten the first chapter. You're moving from town to town to 'purge' the area of darkness like many other Dragon Quest games do. You have to leave the town you've built/saved behind, but because it's very much island based you have to use a special portal to transport large distances and in the process you lose your items and recipes (as if they were written down in a book). So it's not like it's completely devoid of any reason, but I do somewhat agree that it would be better without that happening and a longer progression tree. However with how short the progression is, I'm not sure I can really see it across multiple chapters.

The story itself is very progress based. After you beat the first chapter though, you unlock the games Sandbox mode. Each chapter you beat will add an area for you to gather materials and craft whatever you want. You also carry over all your learned recipes from each chapter into this mode. Now there's no enemies in the sandbox area, but the portals you unlock via chapter completion will have monsters. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your view) there aren't any town battles and you don't really have any NPCs wandering around in it as far as I can tell.

Finally there are only a couple things that do carry over such as learned skills and room recipes (What it takes to build a room bare minimum). Each chapter also has its own challenges to complete as well that you can go back to at any time (From a save during that chapter or start from scratch). Some are time based (Complete chapter in X amount of days) among other things.

So I saw that amazon has the Fate/EXTELLA 'Noble Phantasm' Edition, but there still isn't a prime discount. I looked around other CEs and the prime discount is available. This is just a case of Amazon being slow, right?

So I saw that amazon has the Fate/EXTELLA 'Noble Phantasm' Edition, but there still isn't a prime discount. I looked around other CEs and the prime discount is available. This is just a case of Amazon being slow, right?
Correct. Amazon is inconsistent when it comes to applying the Prime discount to newly-listed games.

Thanks for the heads up, really want to try this one before buying.
Same I am skeptical and really need to try out the demo before buying it. Doesn't help that October is very expensive already. Civilization 6 is tempting me as well.

Right now it's looking like:

Valkyrie Drive and Criminal Girls 2 (Received)

Root Letter

Titanfall 2 (to play with friends)

Exist Archive, World of Final Fantasy, Civilization 6 (all maybes)

Doesn't help I ordered The Silver Case LRG as well.

Do you have the link to the demo? I haven't been able to find it on the Japanese PSN store.
You're probably SOL. It looks like only people with 2.0 codes (Not sure how to get them off hand) or people who downloaded the 1.0 demo can download the 2.0 demo. (Basically what the yellow text says on the demo's page)

Link

Typical "link only works if you're signed into your Japanese account on the store" disclaimer.

Same I am skeptical and really need to try out the demo before buying it. Doesn't help that October is very expensive already. Civilization 6 is tempting me as well.

Right now it's looking like:

Valkyrie Drive and Criminal Girls 2 (Received)

Root Letter

Titanfall 2 (to play with friends)

Exist Archive, World of Final Fantasy, Civilization 6 (all maybes)

Doesn't help I ordered The Silver Case LRG as well.
I'm waiting on Civ 6 personally. I know it will lead to many sleepless nights and take up a lot of my time, so in that regard, I don't mind waiting till there are fewer games I want to play in the short term. Also, there will inevitably be DLC/expansions and numerous discounts and bundles if the past Civ games are any indication. So with all that, I think I'm going to hold off till a nice discount or even better, a nicely discounted GOTY edition. The good thing about Civ is there is no reason to rush out and play it (no story spoilers for example) unless you're planning to play multiplayer with friends.

You're probably SOL. It looks like only people with 2.0 codes (Not sure how to get them off hand) or people who downloaded the 1.0 demo can download the 2.0 demo. (Basically what the yellow text says on the demo's page)

Link

Typical "link only works if you're signed into your Japanese account on the store" disclaimer.
I thought I read that the new demo would be eventually free to all, but as I can't find the article in a quick search, it might have been incorrect information that has since been updated or I'm miss-remembering it.

I thought I read that the new demo would be eventually free to all, but as I can't find the article in a quick search, it might have been incorrect information that has since been updated or I'm miss-remembering it.
Possibly. I haven't kept up-to-date on Japanese demos and for the most part ignore them and any articles about them.

Was Hatsune Miku: VR Future Live supposed to be free? It's free on PSN atm, either way.

Seems like an error since there's also a free 'demo' right next to it.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/search/f=%5Evr%7Cbucket~games%7Cprice~asc
All the games content will be sold as DLC, with each pack including 1 stage with 6 or 7 songs at $15 a piece. So I'm pretty sure that the base game is supposed to be free. Description also says:

"Please note that you must purchase the free 'VR Future Live' game and a Stage DLC to enjoy this content."

Yeah, I just found that article. It's like Sega is actively trying to kill this game and series. They should put the Sonic Twitter guy in charge of the company, at least he gives the fans what they want.

Does anyone what happened with the Zero Time Dilemma watches? Amazon sent the game only a few months back to me and read online the watches were coming at a later time.

I checked on Amazon today and see no trace of my order or if they ever charged my CC. So looks like I got the game for free. Really wanted the watch though :(

Does anyone what happened with the Zero Time Dilemma watches? Amazon sent the game only a few months back to me and read online the watches were coming at a later time.

I checked on Amazon today and see no trace of my order or if they ever charged my CC. So looks like I got the game for free. Really wanted the watch though :(
I would call. I got both around a month ago in mail.

I don't know why anyone would want to play VR with the perpetual motion head bobbing view.  It makes me sick just watching five minutes of it. 

bread's done
Back