Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm always disappointed we never stumble onto J-Rock/Pop category.
Then let's get that started! How about that artist...uh...and that band...

In all seriousness, I only really know most artists/bands that have songs in anime and "Japanese Niche Games" :D/ OP/ED. I know a small amount and listen to the genre all the time (also go to many of the concerts at AX as well), but not well enough to form any kind of discussion lol. So who are your favorites and which songs do you like the most? I could use some new ones in my playlist.

Yeah, well, since I got the Arland digital trilogy recently for $31 on sale (digital), I won't care anymore even if this new Plus western release ain't that expensive (since I'd like to own them all CE's not just 1).

I guess I'll wait for a trilogy release on the PSN, and then when it goes on sale again, should be about time when I finish the Arland trilogy anyway.
Yea I would have liked to own them all as well and though there are no hopes Ayesha will come physical I wish it did.

Honestly debating if I should just wait for a big sale on the Dusk Atelier series like Arland had a while back. I am on i would say the last half of Mereru so I would technically want to start Ayesha soon. Though I still have a lot of other games I can play while I wait for an inevitable sale.

I think the newer ones I might get on PS4 since there doesn't seem to be a Plus version that will ever come out for those but I am not sure yet.

In all seriousness, I only really know most artists/bands that have songs in anime and "Japanese Niche Games" :D/ OP/ED. I know a small amount and listen to the genre all the time (also go to many of the concerts at AX as well), but not well enough to form any kind of discussion lol. So who are your favorites and which songs do you like the most? I could use some new ones in my playlist.
Aural Vampire is one of my favorite bands. Though they aren't related to anime in anyway. I don't think they count as Jpop either.

Also unrelated, there's an anime with an ending theme by the Backstreet Boys.

in atelier ayesha you save the world again correct me if I am wrong. yes the main plot element was screwing around for 3 years until
keithgriff finally stops being a gigantic asshole and helps you go rescue your sister and saving the world from the final boss is a biproduct of rescuing her.
It's not actually a world ending event though. Potentially a region ending event and even then
we don't really know if that'd be a sudden thing to happen or a very, very slow burn. Hell, it might not even surpass the birthrate or everyone is forced to migrate before then due to the Dusk. A lot of stuff isn't actually explained properly with regards to the final boss. Keith refuses to go into proper detail and just ultimately says that Yggdrasil may be malfunctioning but he wants to destroy it because it stands in the way of his goals.

It's important to remember that outside of maybe the Iris titles, you don't ever see the full world map. You're locked to a single region that may not even make up the full country you're in. Marion for example is from Central and we don't know where it's at because we never see it and we're only told it's far away. Same with Logy in the following game, which is a different region of the world. Hell that one even only has one town in its map.

I am really excited for the new Nier, especially now since it's coming to the personal computer. As for other niche Japanese anime video games, the third Trails in the Sky game is also coming next year. The only other title that I can think of is Berseria, but I'm already very behind on my tales games and they seem to going downhill for a bit now.
You're probably one of three people here, myself included, that is actually interested in getting Trails in the Sky the Third. Berseria on the other-hand is supposedly the best Tales game since Vesperia, but I've only heard that from non-descriptive impressions a couple times. I've purposely avoided trying to read anything about it though. I really wish games would drop the young children obsession. Not that it'll ever happen unfortunately. At the very least, Berseria got rid of the empty area maps that Zestiria had from what little I know. It's probably best not to get your hopes up anyways.

Now if we could just get Trails of Zero/Azure as that's considered the best in the series along with Trails of the Sky the Third.

Oh and Xanadu NEXT (2005) from Falcom releases on PC next week. It shares some similarities to Ys if you like that series.

That's actually one of the biggest appeals to me in the Atelier series, that each game you learn a lil more about the ancients but it's yet to be fully explained in the Dusk series. Everything you do revolves around uncovering their tech/way of life/existence/info etc but never get more than breadcrumbs. You finish a game & still that overall question looms over your head. I know that some could find that frustrating, I feel like it'll get answered eventually since the passed few entries have been working towards just that.

Well, the issue with that is that Dusk series is actually over with Shallie and we're into the "Mysterious" series with Sophie and Firis. However, Logy does makes an appearance in Sophie as the blacksmith and is appearing in Firis as well. We don't know if it's a completely separate world or if they're just different parts within the same world with their own central theme. I don't recall any Logy dialogue that eluded to the Dusk series at all and he looks exactly the same.

For all we know, every single game could be in some strange timeline within the same world happening at different locations and potentially at different times/eras (sans Iris maybe). I could see them potentially doing that and making the world huge. Since you don't really fly in the game (yeah there are hot-air balloons, but they don't go far. Also Witches technically) and seafaring ships may not have advanced far enough to sail someone a very long distance as well (very turbulent deep waters and such).

EDIT: If it was connected, they'd have to explain Hagel. Homunculus? Maybe something like Linca? Adventuring playboy father every generation? Maybe a lot of robots from a bygone era? Can't use the Suikoden Jeanne explanation. Then you also have Pamela and while it somewhat makes sense initially, it's hard to explain due to Sophie with her dialogue in that since Logy shows up in that and the Dusk series. Which ultimately makes me think they don't take place in the same world and recurring characters are just fanservice. Still easier to explain than the Zelda timeline though.

I assume you're talking about what we know of Atelier Firis, which I wouldn't want to spoil myself on so I haven't really read anything about it other than some general gameplay features and learning Logy/Oskar is in it. If you remember Atelier Meruru though, that could be explained if it were indeed all within the same world/timeline (Which I'm not saying it is outside of each trilogy/sub-series). If they already gave a character description of Escha for Firis that explains why, I'm fine with being wrong and I'd rather not know specifics.

Oh I love rough line art.
Four-Goddesses-Online-6.jpg

Oh boy, don't get me started... But in all seriousness, I actually don't really know too much about J-Rock/Pop either, and often just stumble into songs and listen to everything by that artist/band. It also happens that most of the bands I wind up getting into are long disbanded and dead, even by the time I get to them.

My favorite J-Rock band of all time, and probably my favorite band in general is Ellegarden, which broke up around the same time I entered high school. Their music pretty much carried me throughout high school, and they are mostly a relic now. Only knew one other person in college who has heard of them. "Missing" has to be their best song, also this is one of the only bands where I have listened to 99% of their work and has never found a bad song.

Asian Kung Fu Generation is another favorite of mine, they are really well known for their anime themes and openings, but their standalone albums are very good as well. They did the Naruto and FMA themes, "Rewrite" being my favorite. Another thing that stands out is that they look like total nerds, but have the most kick ass music videos, really puts a flip on the genre.

I usually am not into all girl bands, but Stereopony is one that captured my heart, also disbanded around my high school days. "Hitohira No Hanabira" is probably their most popular song. The leader singer is also really pretty and reminds me of a study abroad student who used to tutor my Japanese class. (What's with me and my infatuation with international students...)

The last J-Rock band I really got into was One Ok Rock, and these guys are legends. I think they are still active to this day, not sure. They did something with the Black Rock Shooter game, which is how I got to know of them. This is another band that I have not heard one bad song from yet, "Clock Strikes" I think was the one in BRS. Some of the catchiest songs I have heard.

There's a couple of others, Sid, L'arc en ciel, Last Alliance, Nao, Scandal, etc. that I heard a couple of singles from, probably being in anime and games, but their full repertoire didn't interest me much. I haven't gotten to the newer music yet, I know that the Noragami, Heavy Object, and One Punch Man themes are all amazing, so I'll have to check them out soon too.

Sorry, I pretty much wrote an essay here, but I guess I never really talked about this before. Would be interested to know other's thoughts on the genre. (I think this thread is cursed to always sidetrack) Thanks for reading.

Final Fantasy XV Has Gone Gold, Getting Online Multiplayer with DLC; Shows First DLC Art

Following the release of the character episodes, Comrades—an expansion pack for FINAL FANTASY XV—will introduce a brand-new online co-op mode for up to four players which features intense battles allowing players to take full control of Noctis, Gladio, Prompto and Ignis as a group.

Monster Hunter XX Announced for 3DS; Gets New Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VV5-opm1TE

Old-school RPG Asdivine Hearts is Coming to PS4, PS3, PS Vita This Winter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LHdat9bjyo

Frontwing Reveals Visual Novel Grisaia: Phantom Trigger in New Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oTmjEv5JoM

Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue Gets Beautiful Opening Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB-SgmfG_eM

Persona 5 Gets New Character Trailer Introducing Ann, as Well as a New Interview Video with Her Voice Actor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J30O3BwocVU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pOxy0YI1q4

Nobunaga’s Ambition Anounced for the Nintendo Switch

Kingdom Hearts III Teases Sora’s New “Guard Form” And “Power Form”

World of Final Fantasy Gets a Hint of Kingdom Hearts with Free Sora DLC

Pokémon Sun & Moon Reveal Final Evolutions For Starters, Brings Back Red & Green As Trainers

Pokemon Sun & Moon Demo Hits Over 3.5 Million Downloads; Becomes Most-Downloaded 3DS Demo

You know you want to buy it so you can support Kingdom Hearts HD 2.9, then 2.95 and 2.99. You may eventually end up at the elusive Valve trademarked #3.
Oh, I'll still buy the PS4 version...just not at launch.

The only way a 15-trophy game could get a platinum is if most of those were golds, so I'd say this won't have one. I still might get it if the price is right.

Asdivine Hearts is a mobile game as Kemco is a mobile dev/publisher, so I wouldn't expect anything great. On mobile it's only $4, but the Steam version is $10 MSRP. So I would expect it to also be $10 unless they try and gouge. Also out on the Wii U eShop I think.

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet.

http://gematsu.com/2016/10/kingdom-hearts-hd-1-5-2-5-remix-announced-ps4

"Square Enix has announced Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 Remix for PlayStation 4. The collection includes six Kingdom Hearts experiences and will launch on March 9, 2017 in Japan, March 28 in North America, and March 31 in Europe."
It's still really messed up that SE refuses to release these collections on the Xbox One, but still remain adamant in releasing KH3 on the Xbox One.

I heard You Lie in April is good. Not that I've watched it.
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso is a great series and I really enjoyed it. My only complaint is that Kaori didn't get much focus in playing the violin like it looked like the series was about before it aired.

I'm always disappointed we never stumble onto J-Rock/Pop category.
I wouldn't mind some seiyuu talk but then again it'll probably turn into a sub vs dub fiasco. I'm probably the only one here who also checks what seiyuus are involved in each series during my check list of what animes I'll pick up during the new anime season. Going back to Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso for example not only was it a great series it also benefited me as 3 of my favorite seiyuus Ai Kayano, Risa Taneda, and Ayane Sakura were involved in it making it all the more enjoyable. It's also great as animes tend to get the cast to do promotions in Web Radio Shows and such.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x11RUDh_c10

RevolvingInsistentBernesemountaindog-size_restricted_zpsncimeoad.gif

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet.

http://gematsu.com/2016/10/kingdom-hearts-hd-1-5-2-5-remix-announced-ps4

"Square Enix has announced Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 Remix for PlayStation 4. The collection includes six Kingdom Hearts experiences and will launch on March 9, 2017 in Japan, March 28 in North America, and March 31 in Europe."
I was always hoping for a PS4 port even tho Square Enix said almost 2 years ago there wouldn't be one (it was obvious they'd eventually do one especially after 2.8 was revealed). I was so close to eventually opening up my PS3 copies to play but other backlogs prevented me from doing so. Now I can keep those sealed along with Kingdom Hearts DDD. Now if they can only make a Final Fantasy XIII Trilogy for PS4 so I can play my goddess Lightning's games that'll be great.

This is my favorite post of all time. I love you.

8084-Anime-Kawaii-Black-Rock-Shooter-Yomi-Mato-Kuroi-Mato-Yomi-....gif
oeylybIfP11twgfw0o2_540_zpsu7ijwiyw.gif

Ha, I knew that Frontwing announcement was going to be another Grisaia VN.

Sounds cool, but I'm suddenly reminded that I never got around to finishing the first one....

Aural Vampire is one of my favorite bands. Though they aren't related to anime in anyway. I don't think they count as Jpop either.

Also unrelated, there's an anime with an ending theme by the Backstreet Boys.
I don't strictly listen to bands that are anime related. It is just how I know most of them from. Funny thing you mentioned the anime with the Backstreet Boys music. I actually watched that way back when it was new lol.

Sorry, I pretty much wrote an essay here, but I guess I never really talked about this before. Would be interested to know other's thoughts on the genre. (I think this thread is cursed to always sidetrack) Thanks for reading.
Cool, I know like half of the ones you listed. But I'm the opposite of you. I seem to be more into the girl bands/artists for some reason. Just find the songs more catchy most of the time, or maybe the anime I watch or games I play just feature a female more often. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh boy, don't get me started... But in all seriousness, I actually don't really know too much about J-Rock/Pop either, and often just stumble into songs and listen to everything by that artist/band. It also happens that most of the bands I wind up getting into are long disbanded and dead, even by the time I get to them.

My favorite J-Rock band of all time, and probably my favorite band in general is Ellegarden, which broke up around the same time I entered high school. Their music pretty much carried me throughout high school, and they are mostly a relic now. Only knew one other person in college who has heard of them. "Missing" has to be their best song, also this is one of the only bands where I have listened to 99% of their work and has never found a bad song.

Asian Kung Fu Generation is another favorite of mine, they are really well known for their anime themes and openings, but their standalone albums are very good as well. They did the Naruto and FMA themes, "Rewrite" being my favorite. Another thing that stands out is that they look like total nerds, but have the most kick ass music videos, really puts a flip on the genre.

I usually am not into all girl bands, but Stereopony is one that captured my heart, also disbanded around my high school days. "Hitohira No Hanabira" is probably their most popular song. The leader singer is also really pretty and reminds me of a study abroad student who used to tutor my Japanese class. (What's with me and my infatuation with international students...)

The last J-Rock band I really got into was One Ok Rock, and these guys are legends. I think they are still active to this day, not sure. They did something with the Black Rock Shooter game, which is how I got to know of them. This is another band that I have not heard one bad song from yet, "Clock Strikes" I think was the one in BRS. Some of the catchiest songs I have heard.

There's a couple of others, Sid, L'arc en ciel, Last Alliance, Nao, Scandal, etc. that I heard a couple of singles from, probably being in anime and games, but their full repertoire didn't interest me much. I haven't gotten to the newer music yet, I know that the Noragami, Heavy Object, and One Punch Man themes are all amazing, so I'll have to check them out soon too.

Thanks for this post. I didn't actually find anything I like, but I'm really picky and always looking for new music.

I know a friend of mine is into Gackt and Nano.

I love Dogfight by m.o.v.e., which is one of the Initial D openings. In fact, I love a lot of Initial D's music, though I'm not sure how much of it is actually Japanese, since a lot of it is in English. The songs all belong to a subgenre called Eurobeat, so...

Jam Project does the OP for One Punch Man. They're pretty famous for theme songs for mecha anime/games.

I kind of like Boom Boom Satellites. They did the OP for Xam'd, not sure if they've done anything else related to anime.

Perfume was recommended to me when I asked a friend about Japanese electronic music.

And of course there's always the famous Kyary Pamyu Pamyu

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzC4hFK5P3g[/youtube]

There's a lot of JPop stuff below too, but:

SCANDAL is pretty good, but I never really followed them.

Asian Kung-Fu Generation was on hiatus for a long time. I just bought their 2016 single on Amazon last week.

High and Mighty Color was great, but they're gone now.

Do As Infinity was great before DAI left. The reformed group sucks, even though I <3 Tomiko Van.

YUI got hitched and quit as a solo artist, but I loved 80% of her songs. Her new group's stuff is atrocious.

Day After Tomorrow was pretty decent, but they also disbanded. The singer, Misono, is still pretty decent in her own right. She's also much less famous than her "1000 no kotoba" sister, Koda Kumi.

I don't really follow it that much any more, since maybe 5 years ago. I got into indies after that, and now K-Pop.

Edit: Honorable mentions: KOKIA, FictionJunction.... Remembered them cause of Jam Project mentioned above.

I honestly don't really like j-rock/pop that much anymore. I had a phase where i was into it....likely when dance dance revolution was still a thing. I got into kpop for a while too...and still follow it, though a lot of kpop becomes pretty repetitive after a while. Seeing so many comebacks over the years....yeah just not as exciting anymore, though the ladies are always very pretty. Mainly these days I just listen to electronic and indie stuff. 

I don't strictly listen to bands that are anime related. It is just how I know most of them from. Funny thing you mentioned the anime with the Backstreet Boys music. I actually watched that way back when it was new lol.
I really only mentioned because I've always found it odd that such a thing existed. I know there are plenty of non-Japanese bands that do anime themes, but I don't know any other American ones. For the original Japanese airing that is.

With all of the fantastic television series, movies, and video games these days there's simply not enough time in the day to listen to good American music let alone foreign pop music.  Unless you spend a lot of time walking around town or are able to wear headphones at work. 

I have enough trouble making it through 1 hour of my fantasy football podcast five days a week. 

God Wars LE pre-order up on NISA Store for PS4/Vita. Comes out early 2017.

$79.99 PS4

$74.99 Vita

Limited Edition Includes:
• Collector's box
• GOD WARS Future Past for PlayStation®4 or PlayStation®Vita
• Art Book (details coming soon)
• Soundtrack (details coming soon)
• Cloth Poster (27" x 38")
• Pocket Mirror (3.5" dia.)

Link NISA Store

gw_le_ps4_1.jpg

While briefly on the topic of Japanese music I think Boom Boom Satellites are great, but their vocalist unfortunately passed away earlier this month.

*stares longingly at unplayed PS3 versions*

*siiiiiiiiiiigh*
*stares at complete trophy sets for 1.5 and 2.5*

*remembers Rare Heartless/Gummi mission grinding & fighting all the Organization data + Terra on Critical*

*siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh* Here we go again...

While briefly on the topic of Japanese music I think Boom Boom Satellites are great, but their vocalist unfortunately passed away earlier this month.
Oh, that sucks. I didn't really like any of their songs in particular, but I did like their overall style. I was hoping they'd release something I really like in the future. Anyways, RIP in pizza, Boom Boom Satellites singer.

For any Sonic Mania fans there was new footage showing the new stage Mirage Saloon Zone along with game play of both Tails and Knuckles (okay so you probably already know how both will play but there's new animations for them). The level seems to be inspired by the Sonic 2 scrapped level Dust Hill Zone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvNQw9MROns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRabF0_MOeA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8zmICz4q_8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al0GFfRfq9w

With all of the fantastic television series, movies, and video games these days there's simply not enough time in the day to listen to good American music let alone foreign pop music. Unless you spend a lot of time walking around town or are able to wear headphones at work.

I have enough trouble making it through 1 hour of my fantasy football podcast five days a week.
I just put my cellphone in my work hat and listen to it via that since we aren't allowed to wear headphones (except when the bosses aren't around :p)

Slightly on topic http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/220-rpgs-everything-else/74480089 pick my next game poll is up. Feel free to vote if you like.

That game would be an excellent Nintendo Switch launch tittle, too bad the launch dates don't line up.

It would be bizarre to see nonetheless.

Yea I would have liked to own them all as well and though there are no hopes Ayesha will come physical I wish it did.

Honestly debating if I should just wait for a big sale on the Dusk Atelier series like Arland had a while back. I am on i would say the last half of Mereru so I would technically want to start Ayesha soon. Though I still have a lot of other games I can play while I wait for an inevitable sale.

I think the newer ones I might get on PS4 since there doesn't seem to be a Plus version that will ever come out for those but I am not sure yet.
I think I'm set to wait for the Plus sale on Dusk although for Mysterious I may end up just grabbing the PS4 versions and play that after Arland, since like you say, it's almost a fact there won't be a plus version (I may be crazy but I swear the guys on twitter replied to a tweet that asked if there would be a plus version and they said there wouldn't or highly hinted that way).

Myth currently on sale $13.45 on Mangagamer just released 18+ version

Link

Myth All-Ages version unlocking later in the day for Steam

Link

I will give my impressions likely this weekend as I will likely be playing this and Outlast along with Titanfall 2...should be a fun weekend.

For any Sonic Mania fans there was new footage showing the new stage Mirage Saloon Zone along with game play of both Tails and Knuckles (okay so you probably already know how both will play but there's new animations for them). The level seems to be inspired by the Sonic 2 scrapped level Dust Hill Zone.

What Sonic Mania seems to be is a collaboration of fans funded by Sega to make a new game for them. Taxman, indie devs, and from that last video with the producer (don't judge my tastes but she ain't bad) Tee Lopes is doing the music - which I kinda expected Crush 40 to work on. You may or may not know Tee from Youtube-released remixes of Sonic music. From what little I could hear in the background, sounds promising...very unlike Sonic 4's lackluster score, one of the few Sonic albums I refuse to add to my collection of music.

:bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:

Why did you have to delay this Sony?

Anyways I know I'm late to this convo but Drakeon was mentioning stuff about Cold Steel. Sure I haven't beaten it yet, but my bro pretty much spoiled the whole game for me. Now here I am to spoil a bunch of stuff for you guys, muahahaha!

My bro hates JRPGs. The one thing that drew him into Legend of Heroes was the intricate details and political scene of the world of Zemuria. But Cold Steel.... Rean's little harem of horrors (if I may call it that) is full of LOLs to the point we joke about it every time we talk about the game.

So the other day we were...trying to find reasons why every freaking girl wants the MC...

CRITICAL SPOILERS! CLICK THE SPOILER BUTTON AT YOUR OWN RISK!

YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!
CLASS VII -

Alisa: I'm sorry guys, but the more you roll through the games, the more you can tell Falcom favors her. They just can't stop bumping into each other - literally. Plus a lot of the story dialogue has the two in more intimate conversations than the rest of the girls.

Laura: Friendly competitor? Well either way, Rean's the only guy to make her a "lady." And did I mention she can knock him unconscious?

Emma: Sent to watch Rean, keeps watching him. Then...keeps watching him.

Fie: Reminds her of Zephyr's leader Clausell. Likes guys who take charge of situations.

Millium: WTF? Guess Oroborous kinda flubbed up and threw too many estrogen production genes in.

Instructor Sara: Because only Rean is willing to carry large kegs of beer for her.

Elliot: Weakest character in the freaking group.

SIDE CHARACTERS -

Sharon: Wants to ship Rean + Alisa but somehow I get the feeling she wouldn't mind taking him for herself.

Claire: Wants to keep close to Giliath Osborne...and Rean is a whole lot of Osborne.

Towa: Likes him for doing a lot of her busywork.

Elise: Another adopted sibling trope. And too much head petting...Doubt Josh ever did that to Estelle from Sora no Kiseki.

Alfin: Wants what Elise has.

[Girl with Septian Church/Dominion]: Forgot her name but she must like the fact that Rean gave her his umbrella in CS I?

Vivi: Is trolling. But if Rean liked her she wouldn't mind. Not at all.

Uh-huh....Harem. Of Horrors.

Drake, I may have slipped up a detail or two (as my bro played the whole game twice already but I only saw some - a lot - of story and side quest bits) so feel free to nitpick this.

Anyways I know I'm late to this convo but Drakeon was mentioning stuff about Cold Steel. Sure I haven't beaten it yet, but my bro pretty much spoiled the whole game for me. Now here I am to spoil a bunch of stuff for you guys, muahahaha!

My bro hates JRPGs. The one thing that drew him into Legend of Heroes was the intricate details and political scene of the world of Zemuria. But Cold Steel.... Rean's little harem of horrors (if I may call it that) is full of LOLs to the point we joke about it every time we talk about the game.

So the other day we were...trying to find reasons why every freaking girl wants the MC...

CRITICAL SPOILERS! CLICK THE SPOILER BUTTON AT YOUR OWN RISK!

YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!
CLASS VII -

Alisa: I'm sorry guys, but the more you roll through the games, the more you can tell Falcom favors her. They just can't stop bumping into each other - literally. Plus a lot of the story dialogue has the two in more intimate conversations than the rest of the girls.

Laura: Friendly competitor? Well either way, Rean's the only guy to make her a "lady." And did I mention she can knock him unconscious?

Emma: Sent to watch Rean, keeps watching him. Then...keeps watching him.

Fie: Reminds her of Zephyr's leader Clausell. Likes guys who take charge of situations.

Millium: WTF? Guess Oroborous kinda flubbed up and threw too many estrogen production genes in.

Instructor Sara: Because only Rean is willing to carry large kegs of beer for her.

Elliot: Weakest character in the freaking group.

SIDE CHARACTERS -

Sharon: Wants to ship Rean + Alisa but somehow I get the feeling she wouldn't mind taking him for herself.

Claire: Wants to keep close to Giliath Osborne...and Rean is a whole lot of Osborne.

Towa: Likes him for doing a lot of her busywork.

Elise: Another adopted sibling trope. And too much head petting...Doubt Josh ever did that to Estelle from Sora no Kiseki.

Alfin: Wants what Elise has.

[Girl with Septian Church/Dominion]: Forgot her name but she must like the fact that Rean gave her his umbrella in CS I?

Vivi: Is trolling. But if Rean liked her she wouldn't mind. Not at all.

Uh-huh....Harem. Of Horrors.

Drake, I may have slipped up a detail or two (as my bro played the whole game twice already but I only saw some - a lot - of story and side quest bits) so feel free to nitpick this.
Well, since it sounds like you want my own insight into the characters, I'll oblige. I think Cloyd is the only other one here who's gone through or going through Cold Steel II.

Cold Steel II Spoilers (Character retrospect, so full-game spoilers):

Primary Characters:

Alisa Reinford - Alisa was most definitely written to be the main love interest, that much is obvious. There's not much to say about it but since they didn't exactly end up a couple during the course of the game makes me think that they are planned to get together further down the timeline. She gets doted on the most by far and for the reason stated above. Pretty straight forward, not much to say.

Laura Arseid - She isn't exactly a "friendly competitor". When it comes to swords, she's deadly serious all the time and love doesn't come into the equation. Think Samurai honor. She was also brought up on the legend of the Lance Maiden and pledging ones self to someone who she deems a worthy figure. She wants to be Rean's sword because she feels that he's the first person she has met which fits that description for her that could use her help. She really likes/loves him, but I don't believe it's to the level of a lifetime love partner as opposed to knight pledging allegiance to their lord.

Emma Millstein - Emma is somewhat bland and there isn't a whole lot to say about her. She's similar to Rean in some ways and is half as troubled by it. She attached herself to Rean mostly because he pushed the right buttons at the right time, mostly thanks to everybody else kept pushing Rean along and he used their advice on her. Their final bonding events together seem a little hollow when you look at it that way and it's rather sad despite the whole exchange of words.

Fie Claussell - Yes, she sees Rean in a similar light as Zephyr's leader in a number of ways. A leading figure who makes decisions and shields their allies as necessary while being very caring towards everyone around him. I'm not entirely convinced this is love in a romantic way as opposed to it being a familial kind of love you would have for an older sibling.

Millium Orion - Millium doesn't really understand the concept of romantic love yet. She's still very much an adolescent child. She's also not really Ouroboros, but was created/born in the Black Workshop. However unlike Altina, she doesn't seem to be on "loan" from there. It's left unknown, but I would guess that she was taken/given or bought as Osborn seems to have some kind of working relationship with the Black Factory. Now I'm not entirely sure if the Black Workshop is the Thirteen Factories (Ouroboros), just a small part of it or some kind of separate entity that works with them. I know it's mentioned in both Trails in the Sky SC & Cold Steel II. I'm hoping Trails in the Sky the Third will clear up some of this for me. The ending will show that she's capable of emotional growth though.

Sara Valestein - She sees herself as a mentor/older sister to Rean. However sometimes when she teases him, he manages to hit a few suave lines that hit her pretty heavily. Sara refuses to let it get into any kind of relationship beyond student and teacher. She says maybe in the future down the line if he becomes her type of suave guy, but until then she wouldn't let herself go that far. I believe her fixation comes from Cassius Bright (Hard image to live up to) as he was the one who resolved the bombing incident in Heimdallr that she was a part of and part of her reason for becoming a Bracer with the other part being Beatrix. (I think anyways, some context is provided and exact dialogue details are a little foggy for me)

Sub Characters:

Elise Schwarzer - Yes, essentially she's a bro-con. I'd say it's 50/50 whether or not she would actually pursue anything though. She clearly has feelings for him and wants the best, but I'm not sure she would be able to push herself for it without outside help. She really wants him to be a Schwarzer and to find his own happiness even if it means leaving her. Mostly she steps in because she realizes that Rean is trying to leave due to his own personal guilt and self-doubt.

Sharon Kreuger - She doesn't want Rean at all. She really enjoys teasing people. This is a common trait of dominatrix, which she totally is. Ultimately I don't think she really cares if Rean ends up with Alisa or not. Yes, she wants Alisa to be happy, but it doesn't have to be Rean. If Rean did something unforgivable to Alisa, I feel that she would dismember him in a very slow and agonizing way.

Claire Rieveldt - She does't seem to actually want into his pants at all. I feel that after beating the game that she sees herself more as an older sister figure than anything. It's also entirely possible that she could really be his biological sister, however that's just speculation.

Towa Herschel - She was actually a last minute addition to the cast (Essentially a Falcom Mascot creation). You can tell this because she wasn't written into Ao/Zero for when the Crossbell Conference took place over there. She's the dutiful type who's good at everything and seemingly likes people who would closely help and work with her. Due to the whole student council thing, yes they got rather close and she develops feelings for him. However she bottles it up and just acts as a comfort figure. She has no issue throwing aside her feelings to make him happy.

Alfin Reise Arnor - Her teasing is definitely a trait gained from being around her brother, Prince Olivert. However seeing through her and cheering her up when she was down hit her pretty hard. Not to mention the events that took place during the intermission. It started with a curiosity because of Elise, her friend and ends up being a bit of a crush. It's a potential match, but not one Rean would go for because of his own inhibitions. She also understands her position and would never force Rean into any kind of relationship by publicly asking him.

Other Characters:

Rosine - Eh, I don't really see it. At most I could see her thinking of Rean as a friend, potentially good friend and nothing more. Rean does have some dirty thoughts about her on the other hand though.

Vivi - She is after anybody who can make her laugh and isn't mean to her sister, Linde. She'd be totally fine with Rean but doesn't really seem interested in pursuing any kind of relationship at the moment because she's having too much fun screwing around.

Dorothee - She doesn't want into Rean's pants, but she does want Valimar into his pants. Maybe Jusis, Elliot, Machias or even Patrick too. If she hasn't written a book by the end of Cold Steel II with regards to this, then I'd be shocked.

There are a few "I love you" thrown around in some final character events, however Japan has three versions of "love" that mean different things. Unfortunately English doesn't. While XSeed did great translating it, I do kind of wonder how the final bonding scenes that have that were worded in Japanese.

There's also a Neogaf thread on the game with a bunch of discussion/insight into some things. I don't have an account, so I don't post there, but here it is if you want to read others opinions. Oh and you should slap your brother just because.

bread's done
Back