Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Out of the sale games, which ones are digital only? I'm fairly new to Vita. Greatly prefer physical copies, but if that's not an option I might as well grab things when they're on sale. Thanks!
Pretty sure Amnesia Memories is the only one that's digital only. Everything else can be found physical. Of course, not at those prices.

Has that ever gone on sale? I feel like the answer is no :(
If judging by FriskyTanuki's PSN post's vita section, then I would say no. But I'm really only looking at the Miku DLC.

When I sent that message to you I was in the check out but decided to wait until the next day since I was considering using PayPal instead. I never got around to ordering it and figured "BRW will never find out anyway" but looks like I was wrong. tee-hee!
You lied to me?

source.gif

Out of the sale games, which ones are digital only? I'm fairly new to Vita. Greatly prefer physical copies, but if that's not an option I might as well grab things when they're on sale. Thanks!
I'm probably the worse person to ask, but I only know for sure Monster Monpiece is. I think Amnesia got an LE.

Also, 70 users reading! Wow!

79 now! Sudden influx of people.

If judging by FriskyTanuki's PSN post's vita section, then I would say no. But I'm really only looking at the Miku DLC.

You lied to me?

source.gif

I'm probably the worse person to ask, but I only know for sure Monster Monpiece is. I think Amnesia got an LE.

Also, 70 users reading! Wow!

79 now! Sudden influx of people.
It did get an LE, but the game was digital download. Was strange. It got all of the LE stuff, but instead of a game, you got a DL code. I forgot MM never got a physical NA release or Chinese English release at that. I snagged Monster Monpiece sometime ago when it was on PSN for free, luckily. Haven't played it, but it was free.

I don't really know if I'd like any of these games... aside from I AM SETSUNA, but I won't pay that much for it. Based on all the reviews I've read and watched, it's worth $20 at the absolute most.

Pretty busy with Trails in the Sky (Chapter 1) and Bravely Default (3DS) right now anyhow.

Square has some good prices on the final fantasy games on steam
Continuing on this line with some more links:

PC Downloads (Steam Keys):

($4.80) Final Fantasy III (Steam)

($4.80) Final Fantasy IV: The After Years (Steam)

($4.80) Final Fantasy V (Steam)

($4.80) Final Fantasy VI (Steam)

($3.75) Final Fantasy VII (Steam)

($3.75) Final Fantasy VIII (Steam)

($6.30) Final Fantasy IX (Steam)

($9.00) Final Fantasy X/X-2 (Steam)

($4.80) Final Fantasy XIII (Steam)

($6.00) Final Fantasy XIII-2 (Steam)

($6.00) Final Fantasy XIII Lightning Returns (Steam)

($9.00) Final Fantasy Type-0 (Steam)

($18.00) Dragon Quest Heroes Slime Edition (Steam)

Did not see Final Fantasy IV listed on Square's website. Here's some other physical sections for consoles and handhelds, but their shipping is generally not good:

PS4

PS3

Vita

XB1

3DS

EDIT: Wow, Square. What a dick move at minimum doubling the prices. Sorry folks, the sale is now pretty bad.

Does Square ever restock during a Black Friday sale? I'm trying to get to $100 and I would have bought Final Fantasy Explorers for $4.99 and the Tomb Raider Trilogy. I remember entering my email last year to get the in-stock notification but didn't get it until after the sale was over.

Steam has started its Autumn Sale, just fyi. I'll try and go through it and post some of what I find. Don't expect anything anytime soon from me since it's Thanksgiving tomorrow.

EDIT: Also Shantae Half-Genie Hero is finally complete and waiting for acceptance by Sony/Microsoft/Steam/Nintendo before we have a release date. About god damned time.
KdgwWvw.gif

EDIT 2: Wow, Square doubled the prices (more in some cases) on all their titles for their stores sale. What a dick move. Not really the first time I've seen this by them either.

I thought shantae was coming out December 13th.
That was a placeholder date that stores used. The actual information WayForward gave was that it will be a 4th Quarter release and nothing specific.

Excerpt: "For now, we’re telling our partners (Xseed, GameStop, Amazon, etc.) to look for a 4th quarter release. Because of this, you’ll see dates posted “in the wild” that range from November 1 to December 15, but none of these is an official release date."

EDIT 2: Wow, Square doubled the prices (more in some cases) on all their titles for their stores sale. What a dick move. Not really the first time I've seen this by them either.
I was waiting until I did my shopping tomorrow before picking up digital games. These prices are garbage. $20 for FFX. It'll be $8 at walmart. really wanted the pc version though

Looks like the sale was supposed to shitty to start with? All of the old prices are now what you save. (save $4.80 off FFV instead of $4.80 for FFV)

Heh, I'm guessing a lot of these were price mistakes. Type-0 is now showing $9 off instead of a price of $9. Congratz to anyone that could get a key. I'll just wait for next time.

Steam sale is alright. I see all time lows for naruto ultimate ninja storm 4 and megatagmension blanc. Also attack on titan is getting it's first sale I think.

Looks like the sale was supposed to shitty to start with? All of the old prices are now what you save. (save $4.80 off FFV instead of $4.80 for FFV)
That'd the case, yeah. I noticed it too but there's always that part of me that wants to believe they didn't put up shitty prices yet again on their store. The 'wrong' prices were roughly what we've seen in the past as well (On other sites). The 'fixed' prices went up around the same time the Steam Autumn Sale went live. Which of course they don't have a single damn thing for sale, but that could change at any point through the sale however.

Steam sale is alright. I see all time lows for naruto ultimate ninja storm 4 and megatagmension blanc. Also attack on titan is getting it's first sale I think.
Yeah, some games seem to be decent but overall it's a pretty standard Steam sale. If you're relatively new to Steam it's great, but if you aren't, then you probably already own it. The Winter sale that takes place around/after Christmas will be pretty similar to this. Though if last year is anything to go by, prices in the Winter sale may be a little higher than the Autumn sale.

Reminder that Limited Run Games is selling all of their leftover stock (30-150 copies approx) on old games tonight at Midnight EST until sold out or Black Friday is over. Titles being sold are:

PS4:

• Xeodrifter
  • Octodad
  • Octodad: Dad Edition
  • Lost Sea
  • Breach & Clear: Deadline
  • Shadow Complex
  • Dragon Fantasy
  • Mystery Chronicle: One Way Heroics
  • Thomas Was Alone
  • Shantae: Risky's Revenge - Director's Cut
  • Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
Vita:

• Xeodrifter
  • Octodad
  • Octodad: Dad Edition
  • Dragon Fantasy
  • Mystery Chronicle: One Way Heroics
  • Volume
Soundtracks:

• Futuridium EP Deluxe
  • Soldner-X 2
  • Thomas Was Alone
  • Shantae
  • Shantae Risky's Revenge
  • Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
  • Saturday Morning RPG Vinyl LP

In addition to that, they will also be selling these on Black Friday only:

• Blind Box Games - One randomly selected game sealed in a blind box. These will be sold per platform and you'll have the chance to get ANY of our previously released games (including early releases Breach & Clear, Saturday Morning RPG, Oddworld, and Futuridium). Stock on these blind boxes was drawn from leftovers of games with too few copies to list any other way.
  • Postcard Grab Bag - Five randomly selected postcard/checklists from the past year of releases.
  • Sticker Grab Bag - Five randomly selected "Limited Run" stickers from the past year. One out of three will include our elusive gold sticker.

I am cleaning out some old packages and stuff and found this code for $5 off of $60 purchase, expires 11/29 (a few days left) from one of my PA orders. I think it's still valid so if you want it, PM me. 

Fate Extella looks good but I've never played a Fate game so I only care about the waifus.

Problem is it's also made by the Senran people and let's be honest those games suuuuuucked as actiony musou-ish games, so I just can't decide if the power of waifus is enough to make me take the plunge.

Steam has started its Autumn Sale, just fyi. I'll try and go through it and post some of what I find. Don't expect anything anytime soon from me since it's Thanksgiving tomorrow.

EDIT: Also Shantae Half-Genie Hero is finally complete and waiting for acceptance by Sony/Microsoft/Steam/Nintendo before we have a release date. About god damned time.
KdgwWvw.gif
I will be curious if Wayforward can finally manage a good Shantae game.

Anyone taking advantage of the Gamestop B2G1 pre-owned?

Around a year ago I did and got Catherine and a couple other games, well worth it.

Thinking about Atelier Sophie because it dropped way down to under $20 (never played an Atelier before). Not sure what else, maybe Rune Factory Frontier and Tides of Destiny because I own all the handheld games and like them alot.

Around a year ago I did and got Catherine and a couple other games, well worth it.

Thinking about Atelier Sophie because it dropped way down to under $20 (never played an Atelier before). Not sure what else, maybe Rune Factory Frontier and Tides of Destiny because I own all the handheld games and like them alot.
I'm assuming you're talking about the PS3 version of ToD. A fair warning, it is a lot more simplified than the regular Rune Factory games. I enjoyed it for what it is, and got the platinum for it. However it does not compare to the main games. As for Frontier, I have it but have yet to play it so I can't tell you how good it is. My recommendation is watch a few videos of the gameplay and farming system to make sure you will like it.

I had some credit so I went in on the $17 Wii U games. I got Super Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze and Wonderful 101 for about $20 cash.

I'm assuming you're talking about the PS3 version of ToD. A fair warning, it is a lot more simplified than the regular Rune Factory games. I enjoyed it for what it is, and got the platinum for it. However it does not compare to the main games. As for Frontier, I have it but have yet to play it so I can't tell you how good it is. My recommendation is watch a few videos of the gameplay and farming system to make sure you will like it.
Thanks for the heads up. Farming is probably my favorite part so I'm cautious, but I still should like it some. Frontier I hear has the Runey system that supposedly makes farming annoying, but I'd farm a lot so I'll see what happens.

Also, Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Heh, I saw bundle stars had a 11% off coupon and figured I can try stacking it with the nep sales since it's the same as steam prices. But the coupon is pretty specific about now working on IFI titles.

[SIZE=9pt]"Vouchers are not valid with titles appearing as a star deal,pre-purchases and Idea Factory International titles."[/SIZE]

Also Atelier Shallie LE is down to 11%-25% on Nisa's store. I'm still waiting on a deal, any deal, to throw something in for the free shipping. Lemme know if Nisa does any kind of sale or the Shallie counter gets lower. I'll be checking it regularly.

Heh, I saw bundle stars had a 11% off coupon and figured I can try stacking it with the nep sales since it's the same as steam prices. But the coupon is pretty specific about now working on IFI titles.

[SIZE=9pt]"Vouchers are not valid with titles appearing as a star deal,pre-purchases and Idea Factory International titles."[/SIZE]

Also Atelier Shallie LE is down to 11%-25% on Nisa's store. I'm still waiting on a deal, any deal, to throw something in for the free shipping. Lemme know if Nisa does any kind of sale or the Shallie counter gets lower. I'll be checking it regularly.
Where none of the LEs announced games you wanted? There is a lot of LEs to get right now. I'm trying to figure out what I want since I don't want to miss the Atelier LE.

According to their Prinny Bomb email, they're having a holiday sale November 28th to December 2nd with "up to 33% off select games"

Amazon is having a few upcoming lightning type deals today:

:vita: Shiren the Wanderer: The Tower of Fortune and the Dice of Fate

- Live Now

- $30 (MSRP $40)

:ps4: Guilty Gear X3rd -Revelator-

- Live Now

- $30 (MSRP $60)

:vita: Exist Archive: The Other Side of the Sky

- Live Now

- $30 (MSRP $40)

:ps4: Exist Archive: The Other Side of the Sky

- Live Now

- $40 (MSRP $60)

:ps4: Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters Daybreak: Special Gigs!

- Live Now

- $20 (MSRP $50)

Times listed are all "Prime Members Early Access". No idea when it goes live for non-prime members. There is also one that's live now, but it's not a huge discount: Somehow I doubt the ones above will be much better. I think we might see some more of these come "Cyber Monday" in a few days. Pretty weak sales from Amazon this year though.

:vita: GalGun: Double Peace

- Already live.

- $29.00 (MSRP $40)

bread's done
Back