Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh, Amazon messed up my Steins;gate Zero order and now it's delayed a day. I'm honestly way more excited for that than FFXV but I guess I'll have to make do tonight

Ugh, Amazon messed up my Steins;gate Zero order and now it's delayed a day. I'm honestly way more excited for that than FFXV but I guess I'll have to make do tonight
My order from VGP arrived yesterday, and it's going on top of the back log pile. So if I live to be 100 years old, I should maybe get to this around my 60's(maybe). LOL

also trying to decide if I want to buy Steins;Gate 0 (fake LE) from VGP

$14 more than amazon for a small artbook

humm..tempting
Mine showed up yesterday from VGP, and the art book while not full size, is still pretty nice for what it is(and what it cost). If your not in to the art books, just get the discount and go the Amazon route. I'm in to the art books, so I always try to get them when I can.

To my knowledge they haven't had an actual date yet and I've been watching it closely. Their latest Kickstarter update that came out last week on Tuesday, said this:

"Choosing a Release Date!

The game has been submitted to Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, and Steam, and digital storefronts are being created. Because this is a global release, we’re working with teams in each territory to establish a unified release date. We’ll let you know the INSTANT we find out when the game will be live! And this probably goes without saying, but of course we’ll do everything in our power to get the game released to backers early."

Also this:

https://twitter.com/WayForward/status/803678481351487489

Twitter Link if it's not showing

They actually just submitted it for approval, but their shooting for a worldwide release across all platforms, so that takes time to coordinate. So some might have approved it, while others haven't, and so forth and so on.

So we may see it this month, but we may not. It all depends on how this all goes, and how long all the approvals take. Considering how long it's been, I'm in no rush, but I know this won't be another Might 9, so that's all good, take your time and do it right the first time.

December's Free PSN+ Games:

• :ps4: Invisible, Inc.
  • :ps4: Stories: Path of Destinies
  • :ps3: Hyper Void
  • :ps3: Tiny Troopers Joint Ops (Cross-buy on :ps4: :vita:)
  • :vita: Color Guardians (Cross-buy on :ps4:)
  • :vita: VVVVVV

None are really Japanese, but Stories kinda fits the bill. I've been somewhat interested in playing that on PC but never bought it. It has some pretty decent reviews too. Invisible Inc. is also good if that type of game is your cup of tea.

Just wanted to say that there is a new Playstation Communities App, where you can check on your communities on your phone.

It's pretty cool and in depth, and probably a good way to get some activity going there again. Especially with all these new Black Friday games we got.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think people who don't own PS4s and just have PSN accounts on (PS3/Vita) can join too now with the app. It lets me invite people on my friends list who I think don't have PS4s yet, but I'm not sure what it looks like on their end. So hopefully it works and we can get some discussion or Multiplayer sessions going.

Well hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving. What a busy week it was for me!

Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero was delayed again to December 20th.
1f3ncn.jpg

Alternate meme:

1f3ni8.jpg

I'm only three hours in, but so far Final Fantasy 15 seems very good.   I really appreciate the pacing of the start of the game, which I often feel is an overlooked pitfall to modern RPGs.  There are quick, helpful, optional tutorials.  There's not an hour of movies at the start, and you jump into and get immersed with the world rather quickly.   The hybridization of classic fantasy elements and urban themes is working great so far.  All of that topped off with cruising around in the Cindymobile to the FF4 Red Wings theme and it just feels great.

Just wanted to say that there is a new Playstation Communities App, where you can check on your communities on your phone.

It's pretty cool and in depth, and probably a good way to get some activity going there again. Especially with all these new Black Friday games we got.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think people who don't own PS4s and just have PSN accounts on (PS3/Vita) can join too now with the app. It lets me invite people on my friends list who I think don't have PS4s yet, but I'm not sure what it looks like on their end. So hopefully it works and we can get some discussion or Multiplayer sessions going.
Thank god, having to type out posts through the ps4 was a complete pain.

I'm only three hours in, but so far Final Fantasy 15 seems very good. I really appreciate the pacing of the start of the game, which I often feel is an overlooked pitfall to modern RPGs. There are quick, helpful, optional tutorials. There's not an hour of movies at the start, and you jump into and get immersed with the world rather quickly. The hybridization of classic fantasy elements and urban themes is working great so far. All of that topped off with cruising around in the Cindymobile to the FF4 Red Wings theme and it just feels great.
More or less the same here, but I think they want you to watch Kingsglaive first. I won't be though. Problems I have with the game are Wait Mode that I had on during the tutorials and it seemed rather glitchy. Turned that shit off because it kept popping up to pick a target even while I had the tutorial target locked on. Magic I'm not too big on though because it reminds me of Final Fantasy VIII too much and I hated magic in that game. At least it does allow for Dual/Tri/Quad casting.

I don't think I saw this anywhere, but you can refill the stamina bar while sprinting. If auto-sprinting, just re-click in L3 right before it empties and it will completely refill it. Same for Circle, which is your normal sprint button. Just need to let go and re-hold down to refill it.

It wouldn't surprise me if Black Panther makes the cut, despite his slightly more minimalistic outfit. I wouldn't mind seeing the Winter Soldier become a playable character.
I'd love to see Black Panther in the game. I'm sure Marvel will push for Daredevil, due to the success of the Netflix series. Personally, I'd like Moon Knight or Punisher to be included, but I know that's extremely unlikely. On Capcom's end, I'm pulling for Mega Man and maybe a reappearance of Ruby Heart from MvC2.

Does anyone know if the physical version of A Rose in the Twilight physical standard will be a NISA exclusive? I don't see it on amazon yet. I don't really want it but I still need something to get the free shipping for Shallie and it's just enough to reach the $75.

Just got one half of my first order from Jet.com when they had that 30% coupon running.

Postives:

World of Final Fantasy turned out to indeed be the Day One copy. (Yay!)

Everything seems to be in great condition.  Haven't opened everything yet though.  J-Stars looked to have a little shelf ware to it, but not beat up.

Negative:

The shipment came in a plastic PAC bag.  Not a bubble mailer, just a plastic bag with no padding what so ever.  I got incredibly lucky everything was ok since I've had to two other packages mangled on me during shipment over the weekend(super packing saved those).

I'm still waiting on the Mega Tagmension Blac + Neptune VS Zombies game to complete my order as it was the only thing shipped separate.  In the meantime I'm changing all the bgm in J-Stars.  The first being changing a stage song to this,

https://youtu.be/HPGR3WNeEHY

and change the victory burst mode song to this,

https://youtu.be/Mdju-W_ZAnw

:D/

Just got one half of my first order from Jet.com when they had that 30% coupon running.

Postives:

Everything seems to be in great condition. Haven't opened everything yet though. J-Stars looked to have a little shelf ware to it, but not beat up.
Awesome! Glad to see it all worked out! Although you got me a little worried now for the packaging, but they do come from different retailers, so you never know what you're gonna get.

Postives:
Everything seems to be in great condition. Haven't opened everything yet though. J-Stars looked to have a little shelf ware to it, but not beat up.

Negative:
The shipment came in a plastic PAC bag. Not a bubble mailer, just a plastic bag with no padding what so ever. I got incredibly lucky everything was ok since I've had to two other packages mangled on me during shipment over the weekend(super packing saved those).

I'm still waiting on the Mega Tagmension Blac + Neptune VS Zombies game to complete my order as it was the only thing shipped separate. In the meantime I'm changing all the bgm in J-Stars. The first being changing a stage song to this,
https://youtu.be/HPGR3WNeEHY
and change the victory burst mode song to this,
https://youtu.be/Mdju-W_ZAnw
:D/
Packaging was awful in my case too, worst I've seen. Got Odin Sphere (Vita) and it came in two very thin pieces of cardboard glued together. No padding. I almost thought that all they shipped was cardboard, it was so thin lol. The game wasn't damaged so it's all good.. but I was surprised at how bad the packaging was.

Oh, and it wasn't the launch edition so it didn't come with the artbook, but I wasn't expecting it to anyway.

Death Stranding World Premiere

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5ZgaD7Y-jM[/media]

9d7.jpg

Two new trailers for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild are finally up for those who missed it at the Game Awards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDFZIUdo764

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na1cIOmfBlU

Also both my Nintendo Treehouse husbandos (and OTP) Bill Trinen and Nate Bihldorff together playing it makes it all the more worthwhile.

nss8y7mBYM1qet0cro1_540_zpsems3ywna.gif

Also, based Nolan North calling out the voice actor strike.

I can believe that MvsC4 would happen, largely because Disney has shifted into full-on licensing mode for its video game adaptations, and they haven't had the success they were hoping for with some of the other developers/publishers they've worked with on the Marvel IPs. In a situation like that, one of the first courses of action is to go back to a formula that has worked well in the past. For Marvel + video games, the most successful solution has always been Marvel + Capcom. And I'm not just talking about the MvsC series. Capcom has always "got" Marvel characters and comic aesthetics, and has consistently produced good to great games using the Marvel licenses. They have one of the most consistent track records for translating Marvel properties into critically acclaimed video games. (and there have been a LOT of different companies who have tried)

As to the roster, I'd imagine that certain mainstays from the X-Men will still show up, most notably Wolverine. While I could totally see them start to lean towards other popular Marvel movie properties to cross-promote, there's no way they wouldn't have Wolverine in it. A lot of the other X-Men characters might get cut though. Wolverine and Cyclops are the most obvious that I would assume would be coming back. Iceman, Psylock, Gambit, Rogue, Storm and Magneto should probably be worried. Juggernaut is a bit of a wild card, though it wouldn't surprise me if he gets cut. (since Hulk will likely be prominently featured) The character I would be most upset about is Sentinel. I always loved Sentinel, right back to Children of the Atom. If Deadpool gets cut, it will be a pretty obvious middle finger to Fox, as he is a popular character who works well in the context of a game like this.

I don't think there is really all that much to worry about though. Marvel has a capacious catalog, to the point where they already have to pick and choose who makes it in. After the film success of Dr. Strange, he's a shoe-in for a featured spot, as are villains usually associated with him like Dormamu and Shuma-Gorrath. It wouldn't surprise me if Black Panther makes the cut, despite his slightly more minimalistic outfit. I wouldn't mind seeing the Winter Soldier become a playable character. And of course, Spider-Man will almost certainly be making a comeback. I would expect to see a few of the more interesting Inhuman characters show up, such as Medusa or Black Bolt.
It needs Laura Kinney or Protoman for me to give half a tit about the game.

Shovel Knight Trailer for the upcoming Specter Knight playable campaign that's coming next Spring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRwP0P5j05g

I'm not fan of cosmetic dlc but the outfits in this game look really good. Would totally be up for it if they put them on sale or they bundle it.
I've been bad and have been buying them all lol. But looks like my wallet will have a break with the announcement of the guy's outfits. I might get Archer's and Gilgamesh's outfits though, since those look pretty awesome. The others are kinda 'meh' for me.

I'm not sure if it has been posted yet, but it appears that Best Buy will be getting the Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star Noble Phantasm Edition as they have put up the listings for it. However, it seems to have the grayed-out "coming soon" button rather than the option to order it now.

Vita Listing

PS4 Listing

bread's done
Back