Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Perjsona 5 Ranked Most Popular Game Among 70 Japanese Game Creators . . .

4Gamer interviews Japanese creators on 2017 ambitions

Sega Confirms Valkyria Chronicles Still Ongoing . . . .

From the interview with Valkyria Revolution director Takeshi Ozawa and producer Youichi Shimosato:

"They made a note in confirming various pitches for a new Valkyria Chronicles game have been made since its third entry – however they didn’t pan out due to scheduling."

". . . . he teased that he constantly thinks about how to approach the next entry, while also taking into account how much hardware has progressed."

Hmmm.  Valkyria Chronicles IV VR.

Wow that's a really nice collection! I'm not big into Nendos though, any figmas for sale?
Nendoroids are so cute and adorable unlike those horrible Funko Pop shits. You told me the other day how you were surprised I didn't own any figurines but mentioned I was close to buying some K-On! swimsuit ones back in 2010, these are the ones I was talking about. Not into plushies either but I really want to get a Mimikyu plush from Pokemon Sun & Moon.

http://myfigurecollection.net/item/17933

http://myfigurecollection.net/item/13775

http://myfigurecollection.net/item/13776

http://myfigurecollection.net/item/17935

http://myfigurecollection.net/item/17930

Funko Pop miniatures are proof we are inexplicably drawn to buying our favorite characters as figures.  They look like crap and no one should want to buy them.   

Nendoroids are so cute and adorable unlike those horrible Funko Pop shits. You told me the other day how you were surprised I didn't own any figurines but mentioned I was close to buying some K-On! swimsuit ones back in 2010, these are the ones I was talking about. Not into plushies either but I really want to get a Mimikyu plush from Pokemon Sun & Moon.

http://myfigurecollection.net/item/17933

http://myfigurecollection.net/item/13775

http://myfigurecollection.net/item/13776

http://myfigurecollection.net/item/17935

http://myfigurecollection.net/item/17930
Yeah, in my opinion, Funkos are terrible. A waste of space and they don't look very good either. But the concept is great, a cheap affordable little gift, with enough of a variety that you can find a character for anyone. There's probably like a Mozart, or Chris Jericho, or my neighbor from down the street.

The Beach Queen ones are really nice, I wanted the Risette one for quite some time too. Nendos are pretty cute but also way too expensive for something so small. I own the Black Rock Shooter, Aigis, Bride Saber, Mikasa, and Noumi one. I don't even know wtf anime Noumi is from, but I bought it for some reason... Man... I need help... just counted and I have 17 figmas, and... 7 sonico figures... someone save me...

I don't like pop toys, they look ugly mostly but at least they are priced appropriately cheap. the bobblehead at least bobble.

I like nendoroids, i collect some & like how you can interchange parts with each one & all the posable joints & they don't take up much space.

They really don't make Beach Queens anymore. I just have one of the main girl from Mayo Chiki. Alright quality, though some of the ribbons and stuff were a bit brittle. Once you're over a 100+ of figure stuff...than you may have a problem. Once I unpack some of mine going to sell maybe like 1/3 or so.

And here I fucking hate nendos, they're fucking creepy looking as shit and expensive for all the more they are. I wouldn't accept one as a gift, I would honestly ask for the receipt to return it.

The Beach Queen ones are really nice, I wanted the Risette one for quite some time too. Nendos are pretty cute but also way too expensive for something so small. I own the Black Rock Shooter, Aigis, Bride Saber, Mikasa, and Noumi one. I don't even know wtf anime Noumi is from, but I bought it for some reason... Man... I need help... just counted and I have 17 figmas, and... 7 sonico figures... someone save me...
Kudryavka Noumi? If it's her then she's from Little Busters, a Visual Novel from Key. It got an anime in 2012 and a sequel in 2013. Wafu~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDuj177KVLk

Clannad is the best Key series however.

That is a nice figurine of a high horse you have there but you shouldn't be on it so much cuz it might break.
Did BlackRockWaifu tell you about watching the Gravity Rush anime together?

up0059_zps7j6rgtq4.gif

Nendo horses are cuter.

Kaneel1470366645.jpeg

hIE1448592410.jpeg

They really don't make Beach Queens anymore. I just have one of the main girl from Mayo Chiki. Alright quality, though some of the ribbons and stuff were a bit brittle. Once you're over a 100+ of figure stuff...than you may have a problem. Once I unpack some of mine going to sell maybe like 1/3 or so.
Wave has gotten a little better.

There are some figures that I've been tempted to sell since I don't even remember why I bought it in the first place, but I just can't bring myself to part with them.

This is like the 3rd time Sega had to repeat that Valkyria Chronicles isn't dead and that Valkyria Revolution is a spinoff.. :lol:
It'll only get old once we get to last guardian, kh3 or ffvs13 tier. I still cannot believe the last guardian made it to release. Let alone that it vs13 and persona 5 all released the same year (in japan at least) Now if kingdom hearts 3 could get its ass out the door already.

Repost from Groupees thread about my thoughts in the JAST USA 3 Bundle on Groupees.

My thoughts on all the games:

- Snow Drop...old and I remember the story being really weak
- Cat Girl Alliance is an OK somewhat fun nukige if I remember correctly
- Figures of Happiness I remember being very good and also it's a pretty long one
- Kana Little Sister is a bit strange in content, but has a really good story. Really rocked me when I read it.
- Heart de Roommate is an OK eroge....just OK, but fun enough.
- Yumina is a pretty good game. The battle system is similar to Aselia the Eternal except you do battle against students, if I remember correctly. Very long but worth it. It's not easy though...so it takes a bit getting used to.
- Yukkuri Panic....I just played a little of...but it's a kind of mix between a puzzle game and eroge. If I remember correctly it was the game where you unveil the background by tracing parts out of it.
- Starless has amazing art and a lot of CGs. The content is very questionable and there are no happy endings. It's by the same writer as Bible Black I believe, so if you tried those, you know what to expect.
- The Kana remake is a bit overpriced here, but honestly looks nicer. I think honestly the original is enough, but I haven't played much of it. Story is generally unchanged

In other words it is better than the previous one with less throwaway nukige titles. I'm very tempted to go for the higher tier for Starless and Kana remake. Been meaning to play the Kana remake, but in a physical copy it is bundled with Sensei 2, which IMHO is trash tier nukige.

Repost from Groupees thread about my thoughts in the JAST USA 3 Bundle on Groupees.

- Figures of Happiness I remember being very good and also it's a pretty long one
- Kana Little Sister is a bit strange in content, but has a really good story. Really rocked me when I read it.
- Yumina is a pretty good game. The battle system is similar to Aselia the Eternal except you do battle against students, if I remember correctly. Very long but worth it. It's not easy though...so it takes a bit getting used to.
- Yukkuri Panic....I just played a little of...but it's a kind of mix between a puzzle game and eroge. If I remember correctly it was the game where you unveil the background by tracing parts out of it.
- Starless has amazing art and a lot of CGs. The content is very questionable and there are no happy endings. It's by the same writer as Bible Black I believe, so if you tried those, you know what to expect.
- The Kana remake is a bit overpriced here, but honestly looks nicer. I think honestly the original is enough, but I haven't played much of it. Story is generally unchanged

In other words it is better than the previous one with less throwaway nukige titles. I'm very tempted to go for the higher tier for Starless and Kana remake. Been meaning to play the Kana remake, but in a physical copy it is bundled with Sensei 2, which IMHO is trash tier nukige.
Thanks for the heads up. I haven't checked groupees in a long time. Might be in for Kana little sister.

I bought Snow Drop a long time ago. It ain't very good. But I do have fond memories of playing it in a corner of the public library.

Also a reminder that the indiegala bundle is still going.

No she doesn't talk to me anymore.
Give it some time it's only been around 2 weeks. Maybe BRW has a late Christmas present in the works and is avoiding you until it's ready. It does sound worrisome however, must be one of the many strange ordeals going on with 2016. I mean just look at WhoKnows, the year is almost ending and he has yet to add a quote this year on his sig about anyone calling him the pillar of the community.

Speaking of 2016, I hope everyone here has a wonderful New Years Eve / Day! Let's have a great and healthy 2017 as we look forward to all the wonderful niche games to come our way. What are some of the games you're all looking forward to the most? Mine are the Nintendo Switch, Senran Kagura: Peach Beach, Four Goddesses Online: Cyber Dimension Neptunia, and Persona 5... or maybe that one would be considered a 2016 title since Japan has had it for so long.

Clannad sucks and that video gave me a brain tumor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQfJjZs5H6A

Only one I wanted was Starless, but I can probably get a physical at anime-expo for that price this year. :/

What I KNOW I'll be playing:

Tales of Berseria

Atelier Shallie +

Persona 5

Atelier Firis

Dungeon Travelers 2-2

What I'm REALLY hoping for:

Switch Monster Hunter Game

Switch Pokemon Game

Switch Miku Mirai Game

I suppose I'll pitch in mine as well.

Games I know I'll be getting/playing at or near release:

:pc: Trails in the Sky the 3rd
:pc: Trails to Zero Fan Translation (After TitS the 3rd)
:pc: Tales of Berseria
:pc: Cosmic Star Heroine
:pc: CrossCode
:pc: Torment: Tides of Numenera
:pc: Atelier Firis: The Alchemist and the Mysterious Journey (Don't fail me if Koei does, Durante!)
:pc: NieR: Automata (Possibly at release. Potential discount wait.)

:ps4: Tokyo Xanadu
:ps4: Persona 5

Games I'll likely be getting at some point:
:ps4: Dragon Quest Heroes II
:ps4: Nioh

:ps4: Ni no Kuni II
:pc: Yooka-Laylee
:pc: Divinity: Original Sin 2

Unless it's complete ass:

:ps4: Horizon: Zero Dawn

Maybe Gravity Rush 2 if I ever play the first one since I already own that. Unsure whether or not I'll get Zelda right away or wait until I get the Switch sometime down the road.

You all need to put Super Robot Wars V on your list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHdNYxvDfqY

Kudryavka Noumi? If it's her then she's from Little Busters, a Visual Novel from Key. It got an anime in 2012 and a sequel in 2013. Wafu~
Mhm, that's the one.

Tjp0GgB.jpg

I bought it because I thought it was the cutest thing I've ever seen at the time, also my first figure I think, around 8 or so years ago. I always thought Little Busters was a song from FLCL.

Thanks for the heads up. I haven't checked groupees in a long time. Might be in for Kana little sister.

I bought Snow Drop a long time ago. It ain't very good. But I do have fond memories of playing it in a corner of the public library.
I assume you are talking about the BPL? The Highlawn or the New Utrect branch, because those are the ones I always went to.

Speaking of 2016, I hope everyone here has a wonderful New Years Eve / Day! Let's have a great and healthy 2017 as we look forward to all the wonderful niche games to come our way. What are some of the games you're all looking forward to the most? Mine are the Nintendo Switch, Senran Kagura: Peach Beach, Four Goddesses Online: Cyber Dimension Neptunia, and Persona 5... or maybe that one would be considered a 2016 title since Japan has had it for so long.
What games am I looking forward to the most? That's an easy question. Any game that I can play with EdJericho.

Also looking forward to Red Dead 2, Senran Kagura Peach Beach Splash, New Neptunia, P5, Horizon, and Days Gone.

And can't forget the inevitable Overwatch Valentine's Day event where we finally get our sexy D.Va costume!

You all need to put Super Robot Wars V on your list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHdNYxvDfqY
Maybe I'm missing something, but I get annoyed that every preview video for this I've seen consists mainly of attack "cutscenes" without showing any actual gameplay.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I get annoyed that every preview video for this I've seen consists mainly of attack "cutscenes" without showing any actual gameplay.
I noticed the same thing. I "want to" want to play this game, but without actual gameplay or anything other than what we see in the video, I can't say for sure I'll ever get it. Especially for what Play-Asia charges.

What are some of the games you're all looking forward to the most? Mine are the Nintendo Switch, Senran Kagura: Peach Beach, Four Goddesses Online: Cyber Dimension Neptunia, and Persona 5... or maybe that one would be considered a 2016 title since Japan has had it for so long.
I have quite a few actually. Some JRPG some not

Nintendo Switch (+ some announced games that should hopefully be good)

Four Goddesses Online: Cyber Dimension Neptunia

Persona 5

Danganronpa V3

Nier: Auto

Dragon Quest Heroes II

Akiba's Beat

Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild

Tokyo Xanadu

Valkyria Azure Revolution

YS VIII

Persona 5. There are no other games.

A little less enthused after the Nier demo. Still feels like a Platinum game, but it feels a little more 3rd person bullet hell than brawler. And of course, they stick in Space Harrier sequences in again.

I actually meant my school library. But yes, those were my main haunts.
Middle school, high school, or college? Because I have a strange suspicion we went to the same high school, and an even stranger suspicion that we actually know each other in real life...

Also, noticed that there isn't a lot of love for Yakuza, fighting games or Valkyria Revolution in this thread.
Also no mention of Ace Combat, I thought we were hyped for that one?
Or final fantasy 7 remake.

Here's mine that I can think of:

Nintendo Switch
The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild
Pokemon Stars allegedly for Switch
:ps4: Persona 5
:ps4: Danganronpa V3
:ps4: Nier Automata
:ps4: Kingdom Hearts 2.8
:3ds: Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns
Sonic Mania

And those are mostly just the first half of the year! Certainly a frontloaded year for Japanese games

Edit: I forgot my most hyped game besides Persona 5:

:ps4: Yakuza 0
and
:ps4: Yakuza Kiwami

Thank you Sega/Atlus/Sony!

For me next year it's both Yakuza games (I can't wait to replay 1 and never played 2 and zero looks awesome...80s I believe!). Yakuza 6 in 2018...I think but 2 games next year is nice! I'm very glad we're getting these games again.

Persona 5 is a must....i'm going through a lot of job changing stuff right now, so I will very likely not buy much other than bundles and Steam card money stuff and hope Persona 5, coming out around my b-day, will be when my situation is a bit more stable. No figures, manga, light novels...nothing.

Also Story of Seasons sequel and Da Capo 3, Imouto Paradise 2, and likely loads of other VNs.

Everything else I will likely wait for drops on. If it's anything like what happened this BF I will be getting loads of AAA and niche titles for $20 and less.

Also, noticed that there isn't a lot of love for Yakuza, fighting games or Valkyria Revolution in this thread.
I think fighting games are on life support. SFV is in season 2 and still doesn't have an arcade mode.

KoF is deader than Hillary's campaign

GG is good, but people play it for a month and then just wait for the next arcade release.

Tekken 7 will sell a few copies, and then be ultimately dropped by everyone that isn't Korea.

I have no expectations for that new Marvel vs Capcom game either.

The most promising fighting game is that Soul Caliber pachinko game at this point.

FF7 remake really doesn't mean anything to me after it being episodic and running some sort of version of the XV engine.

I noticed the same thing. I "want to" want to play this game, but without actual gameplay or anything other than what we see in the video, I can't say for sure I'll ever get it. Especially for what Play-Asia charges.
I mean if you really want to know what game play is like you can look up some video for Super Robt War OG PS4 on youtube. Being an import only game it will hold its value a lot better.

Here is some actual game play around 9 min mark

http://www.nicozon.net/watch/sm30221698

It is in Japanese and they spend a lot of time explaining the mechanics

Middle school, high school, or college? Because I have a strange suspicion we went to the same high school, and an even stranger suspicion that we actually know each other in real life...

College. I didn't go to High school in Brooklyn so probably not.

What games am I looking forward to the most? That's an easy question. Any game that I can play with EdJericho.

Also looking forward to Red Dead 2, Senran Kagura Peach Beach Splash, New Neptunia, P5, Horizon, and Days Gone.

And can't forget the inevitable Overwatch Valentine's Day event where we finally get our sexy D.Va costume!
1213241570_0053_zpsz9gmnx0d.gif

I think I mentioned to you before how I've spent over a year playing Multiplayer games and barely gotten around to any of my single player games. Hopefully I can try to focus on that in 2017, main reason I haven't even opened up Battlefield 1, it'll just once again delay my single player games.

The Overwatch Valentines Event will be the true Waifu Wars event, I expect a few good stuff from that one... D.Va still won't get a costume just to mock me. I actually got the only thing from the X-Mas event I was remotely even interested in from the 5 free Loot Boxes which was Widowmaker's mistletoe POTG video. Something about getting stepped on by her just seems so hot and if she ever gets some kind of costume like Witch Mercy that video will be 10x better.

I mean if you really want to know what game play is like you can look up some video for Super Robt War OG PS4 on youtube. Being an import only game it will hold its value a lot better.

Here is some actual game play around 9 min mark

http://www.nicozon.net/watch/sm30221698

It is in Japanese and they spend a lot of time explaining the mechanics
Thank you. It's been longer than I realized since I had checked for gameplay videos. I'm a sucker for those Chinese import releases. The collector in me just HAS to see the case on my shelf.

Here are some games I am looking forward in 2017 or hope they are coming out in 2017

Dragon Quest VIII - Journey of the Cursed King - Jan 2017

Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns - Feb 28 2017

Mass Effect Andromeda Deluxe Edition - Spring 2017

Persona 5 - April 5 2017

Ni No Kuni : Revenant Kingdom

The Alliance Alive (Legend of Legacy Sequel)

Ever Oasis

Lady Layton: The Millionaire Ariadone's Conspiracy 

The Snack World

Rainbow World

Red Dead Redemeption 2 ( Please 2017)

Crackdown ( the reason I buy a xbox 1)

God of War

South Park Fractured But Whole

Thank you. It's been longer than I realized since I had checked for gameplay videos. I'm a sucker for those Chinese import releases. The collector in me just HAS to see the case on my shelf.
If you're going to use that as an avatar, here's the original art asset that's [customspoiler='a little less blurry']
ZdzOhlA.png
[/customspoiler] should you want to use it. It's not as zoomed though since it's the original art asset rather than a screenshot.

2017 has soooo many games I'm looking forward to.   The ones I'm looking forward to most - off the top of my head are:

Persona 5

Nier

Tales of Berseria

Gravity Rush 2

Yakuza 0/1 remake/6

NioH

Berserk

Digimon World: Next Order

Final Fantasy 12 

Anything Dragon Quest we get (Heroes, VIII, hopefully XI)

And all the VNs we have coming to PS4  :drool:

I'm also looking forward to checking out God Wars and Touhou Genso Wanderer.  I actually had my brother pre-order Touhou for my birthday last month.  Heh he asked to see some gameplay of what game I picked, and was like, "Really out of all the games you picked that?"

I'm sure there are some I'm forgetting.  I told myself 2017 would be the year I actually cut back on games lol.  I tell myself that every year... but I'm definitely cutting back on CEs.  I've already resisted most of them.  I'm trying to keep it to ones I'm totally in love with, and don't feel like I'm getting ripped off.  The Nier CE has me really on the fence.  I looooove the game, and that CE is amazing looking,  But it does feel over priced.

bread's done
Back