Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're going to use that as an avatar, here's the original art asset that's [customspoiler='a little less blurry']
ZdzOhlA.png
[/customspoiler] should you want to use it. It's not as zoomed though since it's the original art asset rather than a screenshot.
Appreciate it. I just snagged something earlier today for something new. Yours is a much better pic, thanks.

Mainly looking forward to Persona 5 and Atelier Firis(PC).

Fate Extella is coming out soon too.

I hope Blue Reflection gets a western release.

You all need to put Super Robot Wars V on your list.
I actually forgot about this. I should put in an order soon. Does anyone have any coupons? Alternatively I can use Censored to get $3 off I think.

Not really looking forward to many games in 2017. So far, the only games in general I'm excited for are: 

Injustice 2

Ace Combat

Friday the 13th

Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite

Insomniac's Spider-Man game

And possibly SW: Battlefront 2. 

Speaking of 2016, I hope everyone here has a wonderful New Years Eve / Day! Let's have a great and healthy 2017 as we look forward to all the wonderful niche games to come our way. What are some of the games you're all looking forward to the most? Mine are the Nintendo Switch, Senran Kagura: Peach Beach, Four Goddesses Online: Cyber Dimension Neptunia, and Persona 5... or maybe that one would be considered a 2016 title since Japan has had it for so long.
Still waiting for Moero Crystal with English subs.

I think for me, my most anticipated for 2017 are:

Yakuza 0 & Kiwami

Tales of Berseria

Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age

Persona 5

Nier Automata

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (and other Switch games)

Berserk and the Band of the Hawk

Dragon Quest Heroes II (and VIII for that matter)

Danganronpa V3

I'm sure there's others I'm forgetting.

And in reality, you will probably be occupied with some hot new release that you bought on impulse, and all current backlog will roll over along with the newly accumulated backlog, into 2018.
I think you summed up most of us here, lol. I'm diligently trying to play my backlog, but it's a lost cause. I impulse buy more than I can get through. Too damn many RPGs!!!

I think you summed up most of us here, lol. I'm diligently trying to play my backlog, but it's a lost cause. I impulse buy more than I can get through. Too damn many RPGs!!!
I'm like that as well. Got Watch Dogs 2 even though I have so many open world backlogs.

Adding my most anticipated for 2017 as well (*cough* AKA: "New Additions to the backlog in 2017")

In order (More or less):

Persona 5

Red Dead Redemption 2

NioH

Horizon

God of War

LOZ: BOW + Announcement of Switch Launch Games. (Hopefully something more than just zelda to make me consider a purchase at launch)

South Park Fractured Butthole ;)

MVC Infinite 

Ni no Kuni II

Crash Trilogy & Parappa the Rappa (Nostalgia Intensified!!) 

Kingdom Hearts I.5 & II.5 (Didn't pick up either during PS3 release, so this will be a good refresher before III's eventual release)

Final Fantasy XII Remastered 

Probably a few more im missing....ill check whats in the backlog in 2018.

I'm like that as well. Got Watch Dogs 2 even though I have so many open world backlogs.
I put about 130 hours into both Trails of Cold Steel I and II over 5 playthroughs (For difficulty endings, and missing a damn "chat" for a trophy.) I'm playing FFXV right now and to get all the things I want, I know I'll be putting a ton of time into it. Over that time, I've purchased about 12 games that will take me 10 hours to over 100. Of course, I expect my purchasing to slow since my wife, and I are expecting a baby this coming June. My game purchases are about to turn into diapers, and formula purchases, lol.

I put about 130 hours into both Trails of Cold Steel I and II over 5 playthroughs (For difficulty endings, and missing a damn "chat" for a trophy.) I'm playing FFXV right now and to get all the things I want, I know I'll be putting a ton of time into it. Over that time, I've purchased about 12 games that will take me 10 hours to over 100. Of course, I expect my purchasing to slow since my wife, and I are expecting a baby this coming June. My game purchases are about to turn into diapers, and formula purchases, lol.
You'll be working on new achievements like getting 4 hours of sleep in a single night & going a week w/out getting puked on. Babies are Gods Miracle! :roll:

You'll be working on new achievements like getting 4 hours of sleep in a single night & going a week w/out getting puked on. Babies are Gods Miracle! :roll:
Yeah, I remember playing Resident Evil 4 while my wife was pregnant, and once my son was born, I don't remember playing a single game for like 2 years. LOL If I did play anything, I have no memory of it at all.

Happy New Year, everyone. May all your dreams come true in 2017. 

Off to binge on football and Twilight Zone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDbUVFnLRs0

Much love

I feel like figures are much more of a pain to sell than games. I keep all the boxes and everything for games, but it's just too much extra space for figures, so that could be part of it. I do like having some in a game room though. They're designed to be displayed, so it feels like you're using them as long as you're in the same room as them... Unlike all the game CE/LE's that are backlogged and staring judgingly.

Game CE's with figures are basically keeping me from buying them at this point though (recent exception being that BlazBlue LE). I usually don't like them, and it makes the box a lot larger. I'm cool with steelbooks, art books, and soundtracks, but other display stuff starts to feel kind of like junk.

I'll probably sell the statue that came with The Last Guardian's CE and I'm debating canceling my LE for Berseria since I only really want the steelbook. Seems a bit easier to pick up steelbooks on ebay than to buy the LE, take out the Steelbook, and put everything else on eBay. Same thing is holding me back from making a Nier Automata CE order.

Games I'm looking forward to and have orders for somewhere:

Atelier Shallie Plus

Fate / Extella

Gravity Rush 2

Dragon Quest VIII

Tales of Berseria

Halo Wars 2

Nier Automata

Touhou Genso Wanderer + Double Focus LE (zomg, a soundtrack that's more than 13 tracks)

Summon Night 6 LE

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 (GS exclusive physical)

Persona 5 LE

Dragon Quest Heroes 2

Muv-Luv Collector's Box

Sharin no Kuni

Gran Turismo Sport

The Silver Case LE

Anima LE

Mario Sports Superstars

I also have my eye on Nonary Games, God Wars, Operation Babel, and definitely Idea Factory Intl. upcoming titles (Dark Rose Valkyrie, Mary Skelter), DJMax Respect, DJMax Encore, Senran Kagura Peach Beach Splash, Class of Heroes 3, Nights of Azure 2, Narcissu, VA-11 HALL-A Vita port. There's also a bunch of Yakuza games coming out, right?

Horizon Zero Dawn and Tekken 7 look interesting, but I'll definitely wait and pick up a sale copy down the line if I want them. I'll also probably end up waiting for the new Danganronpa games.

I'm also trying to hold off on import games for 6 months to a year after their release in case they get localized. After Valkyrie Drive / Gal Gun it sort of feels like anything could happen, but I'm still really doubtful about say, Omega Labyrinth.

And of course Future Tone!

I definitely love the direction Nintendo is going with the Switch, but I'll have to see more about the launch lineup and price before deciding if I wait or not. I don't really like Zelda games, but my wife does, so maybe in the end that'll be enough to push for us to get one. Plus if they start announcing cool colors later I'd probably want one of those instead.

Almost all of these except the KickStarter, Gaijinworks, NISA, Gamestop exclusive ones I got orders in with the $25 off $100 using Visa checkout promo Best Buy was running that stacked with GCU that made $60 pre-orders come out to $38.51 each instead, so I took advantage of it and that's why there are so many pre-orders.

I have a rule with my backlog where until the unbeaten games are under 40% I have to beat 4 games to allow for each new one (once under 40% it'll go down from 4 to 3). So I've been playing a lot of short fighting games, shmups, and VN's lately...

I beat about 13 or so rpgs this year so in 7 or so years If I keep up that pace I will finish my backlog. Fewer if depending on the games individual lengths. As I have 4 pokemon titles in my backlog and I could beat all of those in around 100-120 hours or so.

Doesn't help that I dropped a few games this year. Or some were long time sinks like cold steel, cyber sluts, and zesty which took about 60 to 70 hours each. 100 or more for zesty since I had to restart the game or from a different save since steam kept on randomly deleting them then making them reappear randomly later.

I don't post too much on CAG, but happy new year everyone. Hopefully 2017 brings us plenty of games to add to our backlogs.

I feel like figures are much more of a pain to sell than games. I keep all the boxes and everything for games, but it's just too much extra space for figures, so that could be part of it. I do like having some in a game room though. They're designed to be displayed, so it feels like you're using them as long as you're in the same room as them... Unlike all the game CE/LE's that are backlogged and staring judgingly.

Game CE's with figures are basically keeping me from buying them at this point though (recent exception being that BlazBlue LE). I usually don't like them, and it makes the box a lot larger. I'm cool with steelbooks, art books, and soundtracks, but other display stuff starts to feel kind of like junk.

I'll probably sell the statue that came with The Last Guardian's CE and I'm debating canceling my LE for Berseria since I only really want the steelbook. Seems a bit easier to pick up steelbooks on ebay than to buy the LE, take out the Steelbook, and put everything else on eBay. Same thing is holding me back from making a Nier Automata CE order.

Games I'm looking forward to and have orders for somewhere:

Atelier Shallie Plus

Fate / Extella

Gravity Rush 2

Dragon Quest VIII

Tales of Berseria

Halo Wars 2

Nier Automata

Touhou Genso Wanderer + Double Focus LE (zomg, a soundtrack that's more than 13 tracks)

Summon Night 6 LE

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 (GS exclusive physical)

Persona 5 LE

Dragon Quest Heroes 2

Muv-Luv Collector's Box

Sharin no Kuni

Gran Turismo Sport

The Silver Case LE

Anima LE

Mario Sports Superstars

I also have my eye on Nonary Games, God Wars, Operation Babel, and definitely Idea Factory Intl. upcoming titles (Dark Rose Valkyrie, Mary Skelter), DJMax Respect, DJMax Encore, Senran Kagura Peach Beach Splash, Class of Heroes 3, Nights of Azure 2, Narcissu, VA-11 HALL-A Vita port. There's also a bunch of Yakuza games coming out, right?

Horizon Zero Dawn and Tekken 7 look interesting, but I'll definitely wait and pick up a sale copy down the line if I want them. I'll also probably end up waiting for the new Danganronpa games.

I'm also trying to hold off on import games for 6 months to a year after their release in case they get localized. After Valkyrie Drive / Gal Gun it sort of feels like anything could happen, but I'm still really doubtful about say, Omega Labyrinth.

And of course Future Tone!

I definitely love the direction Nintendo is going with the Switch, but I'll have to see more about the launch lineup and price before deciding if I wait or not. I don't really like Zelda games, but my wife does, so maybe in the end that'll be enough to push for us to get one. Plus if they start announcing cool colors later I'd probably want one of those instead.

Almost all of these except the KickStarter, Gaijinworks, NISA, Gamestop exclusive ones I got orders in with the $25 off $100 using Visa checkout promo Best Buy was running that stacked with GCU that made $60 pre-orders come out to $38.51 each instead, so I took advantage of it and that's why there are so many pre-orders.

I have a rule with my backlog where until the unbeaten games are under 40% I have to beat 4 games to allow for each new one (once under 40% it'll go down from 4 to 3). So I've been playing a lot of short fighting games, shmups, and VN's lately...
agree with some of that, looking forward to this year

peach splash if xseed does it not pqube

fate exteria

scalebound

tales of beseria

gravity rush 2

gal gun pixies

doa extreme vr

blue reflection

school girl zombie if xseed does it

been getting tired of wasting money on underperforming nintendo gimmicks, switch is interesting but using last gen chips, 720 not docked and barely 1080 docked, not even the pokemon 3ds port renamed stars will get me to day one buy and the zelda game is supposed to have a wii u port so if it was a good game would go that route, do agree that if they decide to have a color other than black or white and the price is right that it might be worth collecting dust like the wii u is but another system that is first party mostly isnt appealing

I'm looking forward to Operation Babel more than anything else, mostly because I'm happy that it's actually getting a western release. But other than that, definitely Nioh.

I'm a little later than usual, but it doesn't seem like anything is releasing this week with regards to the niche this thread fills. Technically there's an RPGMaker game and a Free to Play game, but I've decided against posting them as per usual even though there's nothing else this week. Next week will definitely have at least something. On the bright side it's 2017 and the immortal Queen of England is still alive and kicking.

Other stuff that released without warning last week that are all on PC/Steam:
- Celestial Crossing (Visual Novel)

Weekly Releases (January 1st - January 7th)

There ain't shit.

Past Releases
December 25th - December 31st
December 18th - December 24th
December 11th - December 17th
December 4th - December 10th
November 27th - December 3rd

I have a question that's semi-related., on the bestbuy website they updated the preorder for NioH. it now comes with a dlc bonus item. I preordered NioH during the visa checkout 25 off when the bonus items wasn't attached. Has anyone had experiences with bestbuy in regards to preordering something before a bonus item gets attached. Will I get the bonus dlc anyways? or are they going to say reorder?

I have a question that's semi-related., on the bestbuy website they updated the preorder for NioH. it now comes with a dlc bonus item. I preordered NioH during the visa checkout 25 off when the bonus items wasn't attached. Has anyone had experiences with bestbuy in regards to preordering something before a bonus item gets attached. Will I get the bonus dlc anyways? or are they going to say reorder?
You should get them. The last time this happened to me on something I preordered, I took a screenshot of the bonus item and when I didn't get the additional item I used that screen shot when I contacted customer service

I have Brave downloaded on my phone but have yet to play it.

I also mean to and then skip it to play something else like im playing Knights of Pen and Paper 2.

But from the pics she looks like a character from the Bravely Default series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV0BST2nifk

Seems to be fairly popular, so I figured I'd throw it here. Some may have heard of it two years ago with their first trailer. Despite being an RPGMaker game, it also had a kickstarter which hit 200k.

Going to use all my lapis and summon tickets to pull her!
Glad to see someone else plays this, but sadly I'm beginning to lose interest. I had 12000 lapis and 20+ gold tickets saved up to get Noctis. I used up almost all of it, and didn't get a single featured summon. Same thing happened with Lightning week. Now someone on my friends list gets the top draw every week and within the first day maxes out that character.

There's gotta a trick I'm missing because I'm fracking sick of getting Fran!

Glad to see someone else plays this, but sadly I'm beginning to lose interest. I had 12000 lapis and 20+ gold tickets saved up to get Noctis. I used up almost all of it, and didn't get a single featured summon. Same thing happened with Lightning week. Now someone on my friends list gets the top draw every week and within the first day maxes out that character.

That's just the pain of capsule toy style loot systems. Guys with terrible luck, like me, can never get ahead in those games.

It's all RNG sadly. No trick lol. I'm sorry you didn't get a featured summon though. That's really bad luck if you used most your lapis and summon tickets and didn't get one featured summon. I would have assumed you would have gotten Charlotte at the very least. Sure, she isn't great right now, but will be pretty good later on when she gets her 6* form. I did about 40+ draws for noctis and Mercedes using daily pulls and a lot of saved summon tickets. Some advice if you're F2P or C2P, don't ever hard pull using lapis. It is usually a waste. You should only use lapis on daily draw. Anyways, on the last day I finally got Mercedes, but sadly no Noctis or rainbows even. I seriously got 10+ of Charlotte though. And I did get some more Chizurus (already had 2, but pulled 4 more).

I love the game though and you are actually better off using lapis for trust master farming than pulling if your team is somewhat competent. I know it isn't for everyone, but it can make a big difference. I suggest looking up macros or touch controls. What good units do you have?

But I feel you. I have some pretty terrible luck with many of these type of games and I actually spend a little for the most part. Whereas others can consistently pull great stuff without spending much or any at all. I have an online friend who seems to consistently pull gold crystals 30-40% of the time (average rate is about 19%) and has pulled 8+ rainbow and he didn't play when it launched. Whereas I have only pulled 2 rainbow and I played since launch. One was a 5* Amarant too >_<. The other is Elza. I've played quite a bit of these type of games and currently play 4 other games of this type (final fantasy record keeper, kingdom hearts unchained x, tales of link, mobius).

As far as people on your friendlist, unless you know them personally and they don't spend, some people spend A LOT. Maxing them out takes a lot of refreshes and trust master farming requires multiple of the same unit to finish within 1-2 days. If it makes you feel any better, look at this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc2-cgYlRVc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeGrPH3kL5s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bffet3n7tYo

Actually, here's his pull playlist. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOLkqkx1ixOziKekJJvNvQ0nsx7-xHG5m

With all that said, I hope you don't quit. RNG will hopefully be on your side soon when you least expect it and maybe this year will be better for you :). Learning when to pull and being patient usually gets results eventually. Being impatient is usually when you can get really screwed.

It is all about Orlandu anyways who will come fairly soon I believe. They nerfed Noctis in global, so he's not quite as good as in JP. And some of the older units get 6* upgrades and enhancements that make them pretty top tier such as Firion and Agrias. If anything, maybe just save up until guaranteed comes to global. If you don't know what that is, it means any gold or rainbow you pull will be that rarity base. So golds you pull will be 4* base. No more 4* fran, penelo, bedile, maria, shadow, lani, etc. Rainbows if you are lucky to ever pull them, will no longer be a 5* galuf, celes, krile, etc to troll you.

Sorry for wall of text. Well, if you need any other advice or opinions, feel free to message me, or if you want to add me in game.

That's just the pain of capsule toy style loot systems. Guys with terrible luck, like me, can never get ahead in those games.
Sorry for the double post. I've played quite a few F2P games (or P2W) for a while now and generally speaking, it really depends what game you're playing and what you mean by get ahead. If you're trying to rank #1 in the world, of course you probably won't get there without spending thousands. But if you're talking about just clearing content the game has to offer, or being extremely competitive, then for the majority of games, it is possible.

They do require HUGE time dedication and patience. If you're willing to spend the time, you will eventually accomplish what you want even with bad luck. I'm a prime example. Every game I've played thus far, I have been able to eventually accomplish all the content. It took a lot of time and playing smart, but I made it.

Sure, you may not be able to complete the newest and hardest stuff right away, but you will eventually get there. The problem is it can take a year or longer for some games. However, there are a small selection of games that sadly are behind a pure paywall that, with bad luck, will get you nowhere.

Mobile games are sadly one reason why I can't finish many real games and have a huge backlog lol. I literally spend most of my time on mobile games.

Has anyone else stopped getting emails from Square Enix?  I'm used to getting several emails from them each month, but my last one is dated 11/30 and I haven't gotten any new ones since then.

I played FFBE for a bit, but I guess i lost interest so fast because i was already burned out on Brave Frontier, and they look so much alike.

Any of you play Destiny Child? It's only in Korean right now though. The art is done by Kim Hyung Tae, who was the Art Director for Blade & Soul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPG2T-jXIi0

I tried to play Brave Exvius but it's too similar to a lot of other games. The only f2p games I play regularly are Tales of Link and School Idol Festival.

bread's done
Back