Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
The one thing I missed out on in 2016 and want more than anything is one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Console-System-Super-Famicom-Japan/dp/B01FM8YDT8/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

It's too bad that there's no easy way to unlock it for NA games that will remain safe in the years to come. Wish there was a fix or something. Because I want one of these so badly and it's my biggest regret, or hole in my collection, from last year.
I actually wanted that one as well, as I love the Super Famicom design, it was my favorite "N" released console ever, and was only second to my Panasinc Q in overall design quality.

I was going to order when Play-Asia had it listed, but I held out hope that an Asia English release would happen, like it did for the metallic blue and the all white XL models. I think If I could ever get it modded 100%, I would still pay a premium price for it, but if I can only play Japanese games, I'll just have to dream.

The one thing I missed out on in 2016 and want more than anything is one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Console-System-Super-Famicom-Japan/dp/B01FM8YDT8/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

It's too bad that there's no easy way to unlock it for NA games that will remain safe in the years to come. Wish there was a fix or something. Because I want one of these so badly and it's my biggest regret, or hole in my collection, from last year.
But there is. If you install arm9loader it will allow you to play NA 3ds games on a japanese 3ds. And once hacked you can freely update the 3ds to newest firmware. It will never get locked out from future firmware updates.

But there is. If you install arm9loader it will allow you to play NA 3ds games on a japanese 3ds. And once hacked you can freely update the 3ds to newest firmware. It will never get locked out from future firmware updates.
Thanks for that info, as I've hacked most of my past handhelds in some way, shape or form, but I just haven't had the time to look in to the 3DS in's and out's. I do plan to softmod my son's NES classic this weekend if I get that time, as that is beyond easy, and shouldn't take much time at all.

Nintendo Switch is $300.

Comes out in March.

Its Region Free. (Most happy about this)

Nintendo Online will be paid for after initial free trial.

There will be controller color variations.

Live Updating the Switch Stream

Splatoon 2 is coming to Switch this summer

New Mario game. Super Mario Odyssey. Holiday 2017.  Mario can throw his hat now

New Monolith Soft Game. Xenoblade 2

Didn't expect this to happen. But then I saw the stones and heard the music and I instantly knew it. HOLY SHIT. 

FIRE EMBLEM WARRIORS. :whee: :whee: Guess I"m buying the Switch now. Now to wait fr the ATLUS Games.

Over 50 Developers. Over 80 Games in development atm

Dragon Quest Heroes 1 +2 coming to Switch.

I spoke too soon. Shin Megami Tensei Game coming to Switch!!!!! Powered by Unreal Engine 4. The development just started.

New RPG by Square Enix is coming to Switch

Skyrim is coming to Switch. LOL

Travis Touchdown (Guy from No More Heroes) will be coming to Switch. New No More Heroes Game perhaps?

EA Sports Fifa coming to SwitchLE

LEGEND OF ZELDA BREATH OF THE WILD comes March 3rd. So it's a Launch Title

This Nintendo Switch event is hilarious.  It's like a Japanese mirror of our crappy E3 presentations.  It's also very much the definition of stuffy old, pretentious Japanese businessmen that get associated with companies like Nintendo.  The joy-con controllers really small, almost certainly uncomfortable due to their size.  What's striking is the asymmetry of the controllers.  They don't match.  The right one has the analog stick almost directly in the middle of it lol.   Button placement on both just looks off. 

However the fact that it's going to be region free is awesome news.  As expected, the games look awesome as well. 

Other games and things of note:

-They are called "Joy-Con" controllers.  They have a grip / cradle.

-1-2 Switch.  prolly the new system bundler. mini-game compilation including quick draw duels and other 1v1 games.

-Arms.  looks like rock'em sock'em robots with dual joycon boxing, wii remote style

-Super Mario Odyssey not till holiday '17

-Splatoon 2

-Xenoblade 2 by Monolithsoft,

-Fire Emblem Warriors by Koei Tecmo, Team Ninja

-80 games in development currently

-Square Enix has announced DQ10 & DQ11 on Switch in Japan, (meaning no US announcements anytime soon). 

-Dragon Quest Heroes 1&2 coming

-new Shin Megami Tensei Atlus game, powered by Unreal engine, Sega. Dev has just begun, looks a long ways out

-Octopath Traveler, new Squaresoft RPG

-Skryim

-Zelda launches on Mar 3, obviously.  literally looks like just about the only notable thing ready for launch. 

The striking thing so far is no release dates on any of the other games shown, as expected. The whole conference actually went very much like you'd expect it would have.

Nintendo Switch releases on March 3 in both Japan and America.

oh man that "What games" line from Reggie is going to turn into a .gif meme.

Zelda is going to move a ton of systems for sure.   But there was absolutely no mention of anything new with separate handheld gaming or 3DS related.  No mention of hard drive space either; we're certain to get the shaft again. This is literally the same launch we've seen a few times before, but this time will have Zelda. 

I agree with this. Though I find many people hating on it but turn around and show an insane amount of love for Persona 3 & 4. While not exactly the same, it still confuses me.

I wouldn't really worry about it much. Just wait until it releases and wait for player impressions. Or pre-order and then refund it if it has issues within the first two hours.

Usually you have an NDA when you work on something anyways and can't exactly say anything until it's released. I doubt there's anything particularly useful in there if he hasn't stated anywhere else whether he's working on it or not. Even if he's not, he'll still work to fix any issues and improve the game as best as he can.
personas timelimit is not related to its story (outside p4 rescue time limits and when dungeons/bosses unlock.) and has no effect on dungeon crawling and such since it only moves forward when you leave. Where as atelier the time limit is tied to everything. the only thing the time limit effects is if you want to max social links in persona and not everyone cares about doing that in one playthrough.

As expected, Nintendo didn't really show anything that would make me get a Switch at launch at the event. I'll definitely get one down the line when games like SMT or Xenoblade 2 start coming out. It's just weird that Nintendo did all of that and only showed 2 launch titles (with one coming out on the Wii U), especially when the actual console comes out in less than two months. 

Nintendo Switch launches March 3 for $299

Online and Hardware Functionality Outlined for the Nintendo Switch – Will Not be Region Locked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdVio8Nys8I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDs5_xcZqcY

Here’s What Comes in the Nintendo Switch Box for $299.99 in Two Color Configurations

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild launches March 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw47_q9wbBE

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Bundles Announced; New Screenshots/Artwork Showcased

Splatoon 2 Announced for Nintendo Switch; Coming this Summer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Z_lwE3r7Q

Super Mario Odyssey Unveiled at Nintendo Switch’s Tokyo Livestream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kcdRBHM7kM

New Shin Megami Tensei Officially Coming to Switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLJKmjfGBuA

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 announced for Switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJuiTw6nk7A

Puyo Puyo Tetris coming west for PS4 and Switch this spring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMGA1jgO1o8

I Am Setsuna announced for Switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhg-VqY6WI0

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Announced for Nintendo Switch; Coming April 28

Fire Emblem Warriors announced for Switch

Project Octopath Traveler Annnounced by Square Enix for Nintendo Switch

Dragon Quest Heroes I & II Announced for Nintendo Switch

Suda51 Announces No More Heroes for Nintendo Switch

Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, Tales of series, Taiko Drum Master series, more coming to Switch

Disgaea 5 Complete announced for Switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YQ7iXz_xxs

As expected, Nintendo didn't really show anything that would make me get a Switch at launch at the event. I'll definitely get one down the line when games like SMT or Xenoblade 2 start coming out. It's just weird that Nintendo did all of that and only showed 2 launch titles (with one coming out on the Wii U), especially when the actual console comes out in less than two months.
Yep, exactly. Zelda Mar 3 and Mario Kart 8 GOTY w/e (lots of dlc and updates) on April 28. Thinking about everything in conclusion it's basically "they've got nothing". In 2017 It's going to be a lot of remakes and things that have come out on other systems already. Which is quite alarming.

Zelda is going to move a ton of systems just like MarioKart 8 and SSB did for Wii U. But that's it.

Locked in a Switch order through Bestbuy.  :)

Hope that neat looking Master Edition for Breath of the Wild shows up soon too...

I agree that things look pretty bare in terms of the launch lineup, but I can't resist the urge to experience the new Zelda with Switch. Also, no region locking makes me really happy. Glad they decided to do that. Can't wait for the new Shin Megami Tensei, Xenoblade 2, Splatoon 2, Fire Emblem Warriors and Suda51 games!

I'm extremely conflicted about all of this. I may wind up buying games for the Switch before I buy one if I don't keep my BB preorder. Too many series that have games I want releasing. I guess what will really make the decision is how many, if any, wind up being true exclusives.

Once SMT comes out that will be the day I have a switch. I would love to play the Mario, Fire Emblem Musuo thing, Xenoblade 2, Square RPG, No More Heroish game, and Mario looks neat too. Zelda looks aight as well. I will get one eventually. Those seem like good titles. At launch though...heck no!

Also finally got back to playing Criminal Girls 2. I need to beat the final final boss 7 more freakin' times to get my platinum. This is torture and each battle now takes about 20-30 minutes.....fun? This has been one of the grindiest game I've ever played. This boss is pretty much the previous boss extreme style. Similar attacks but way more annoying. I can't wait till I'm done with this. The battle system is excellent, but everything else is kind of weak...other than the better graphics.

Nintendo Switch launches March 3 for $299

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild launches March 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw47_q9wbBE

Splatoon 2 Announced for Nintendo Switch; Coming this Summer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Z_lwE3r7Q

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Announced for Nintendo Switch; Coming April 28
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKlRN2YpxRE
So much mixed reactions tonight while I'm over here being all.

KonoSuba2-Episode1-Omake-1_zpscpnkoizk.gif

With the $175 Best Buy credit I had stacking up I'm looking forward to paying only $133 for my new Splatoon Machine and playing both Splatoon 2 and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Featuring Inklings Dante from the Splatoon Devil May Cry Series.

As expected, Nintendo didn't really show anything that would make me get a Switch at launch at the event.
Same here. Unless they turn out some seriously impressive titles, I'll likely be sticking to my PS4.

The thing I'd really be excited to see from Nintendo nowadays are some CG movies based on a few of their properties, like Metroid and Zelda, kind of like how Square Enix did FFVII Advent Children. Despite the criticism against Metroid Other M, that opening cutscene would have been great for a CG film.

personas timelimit is not related to its story (outside p4 rescue time limits and when dungeons/bosses unlock.) and has no effect on dungeon crawling and such since it only moves forward when you leave. Where as atelier the time limit is tied to everything. the only thing the time limit effects is if you want to max social links in persona and not everyone cares about doing that in one playthrough.
So, time limit has nothing to do with the story except for when it does. Gotcha. You do realize you had to beat dungeons by X date in both games, right? Granted it was only an issue on Persona 3 & FES on the PS2 if you had shit luck with AI teammates. You can force yourself into a corner, unable to progress. I actually did on my first playthrough of Persona 3 on the PS2 because I only kept one save due to my memory card being full and not deleting old data. Man, those were rough times.

Also, fuck AI teammates. Always. I have the worst luck with them, like brain dead zombie luck.

they better not censor anything in arcana hearts.
>:(
Nintendo: The women were too revealing, so for gender equality we've gender bent the entire cast! However we decided to keep their current costumes. Then we're renaming it Cho Aniki Hearts.

Persona, aw the memories and love/hate relationship I have when I play those games.

I need to play Person 4 Golden sometime, I own it but have yet to play it.

So the Fire Emblem Warriors is gonna be like Hyrule Warriors and Dragon Quest Heroes?

Then I guess I am getting a Switch in the future and Zelda looks cool.

It was good to find out that they will in fact be using MicroSDXC format memory cards for the Switch. Nothing proprietary, so the pricing will be competitive and will come down over time. And the SDXC means that they won't be limited to 32 GB. The SDXC format allows for 512 GB cards, which would make for a much more reasonable digital library. I'm thinking initially a 128 GB card should be appropriate.

I'm kind of bummed out on the Switch. Fire Emblem Warriors, Xenoblade 2, and the Shin Megami Tensei game have my attention but I really don't expect any of them to come out soon.

I don't mind them charging for online if it's well-featured enough. But I don't find the "here have an SNES game.. For a month then we take it back" to be any kind of incentive at all.

I DO like that for all these games you can just scoop it out of the dock and take them with you. That's really awesome. It just needs time for system-selling games to actually launch for me to be a little more interested.

Yeah there is some good stuff coming out. I think next year if the stars align will be when I get my Switch...hopefully on BF with a pack in game.The stuff coming out this year just is eh....alright....I will play Zelda/Mario eventually, but I can wait.

The Switch honestly should have had a 128 or 256GB M.2 SSD included in it for internal storage with the MicroSDXC for additional. Outside of the whole take the portable with you part, Nintendo is really just being their idiotic usual selves. Let me see what I can list off the top of my head:

1) No Ethernet port for the dock. Again. Have to buy USB Ethernet Adapter.

2) 32GB internal storage. Again.

3) Pay for multiplayer with their incredibly bad online infrastructure setup. Their third party support has been abysmal and I don't expect many to have online play. This is terrible. Though it does seem like SNES multiplayer games will get online support added?

4) Voice chat only through a smart phone or tablet. (Probably Android/iOS only and doubt it will support Windows tablets)

5) The "Free" monthly NES/SNES games you get with paying for their service are only rentals for that month. This might turn out to be wrong as I could see it being a translation error. However Nintendo no longer has the benefit of the doubt on any stupid information I hear.

It feels like just when you think Nintendo might be on the up on up because they did one smart thing, they screw up everything else. I'd almost be willing to bet they'll add some stupid thing to Zelda like "Take your Switch to one of these places to progress!" similar to Pokemon Go because it's portable now. I just feel like that's the direction they're heading in at this point.

I have a feeling we're also going to have to re-buy any virtual console games at full price that we may have bought on the Wii/Wii U with the Switch if they release them on there. All I know is that they're pushing me further and further away from buying a Switch for quite a while.

2) 32GB internal storage. Again.
Seriously??!! I've been looking for info on this and haven't found anything yet. Is the storage upgradable with a memory card swap?

I have a Switch pre-ordered because I want to play Zelda and Mariokart. But man does Nintendo keep getting even more draconian. They will never adapt with the times. This system is basically a re-launch of the Wii U, with specs from 2012.

The lack of storage thing irks me to no end. It's deliberate, and it's insulting. Memory is so cheap these days too. We were getting 500gb PS3s back in 2012. It's just unacceptable.

It feels like just when you think Nintendo might be on the up on up because they did one smart thing, they screw up everything else. I'd almost be willing to bet they'll add some stupid thing to Zelda like "Take your Switch to one of these places to progress!" similar to Pokemon Go because it's portable now. I just feel like that's the direction they're heading in at this point.
I couldn't agree more. They've created a $150 cost console in order to sell something at $300 and profit off it. There is nowhere near $300 worth of value in this console. But you have to pay the premium if you want their newest games.

Information is at the bottom of this page:

http://www.nintendo.com/switch/features/

Specifically it says:

"32GB of internal memory, a portion of which is reserved for use by the system. Users can easily expand storage space using microSDXC cards."
I'm not sure I like their use of the word "easily", almost as if they're belittling anyone who complains about the small internal memory size.

...Nope, I definitely don't like it.

This is almost basically a rebadge Nvidia Shield.  I'm pretty sure Nvidia is jumping in joy finding somewhere to dump all those Maxwell Tegra X1 chip somewhere.  Not surprise about the pricing at all since Nintendo + Nvidia.  We should be glad Nintendo decided to "double" from the Shield 16GB of internal storage lol.

I will wait for a game I really want or some BF bundle before I grab one.  I still need to pick up a Wii U one of these days for the 2 or 3 games I got on the shelf....

The Samsung 128 GB micro sdxc cards are $40 on amazon.

$65.60 for a 200gb scandisc

$145 for a 256gb Samsung Evo+

That's what you're looking to pay to upgrade your Switch memory to something still sub-standard in addition to buying the $300 Switch system. 

I'm not sure I like their use of the word "easily", almost as if they're belittling anyone who complains about the small internal memory size.

...Nope, I definitely don't like it.
Could be worse. After the announcement, I have 3 days of non-stop freezing rain here. I'm blaming Nintendo for this terrible change in weather. I went out once already this morning before I noped and went back home. At this point I'm stuck inside with nothing but ice outside covering everything. I feel like it's a sign while I wait for the inevitable loss of power at some point.

bread's done
Back