Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Homura didn't even make the top ten? Or Miyabi? What has the world come to...?
Seriously, where is my damn Ryona on the list? This looks like a 2016 election.

1499.gif

And like nitrosmob mentioned, the "big boobs" poll, yet for some reason Mirai and Ryobi are in the top 10... The worse twin too. This is rigged.

Top 3 is Yumi (Cold as ice), Hikage (Miss no feels), and Yomi (Who? Oh, Bellsprouts)

There's some other good games on the PSN flash sale like Persona 3 Portable and Dark Cloud 2. I'll probably pick up a few things.

MegaTagmension Blanc + Neptune VS Zombies is $3.59 in the PSN flash sale this weekend: https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/megatagmension-blanc-neptune-vs-zombies/cid=UP0031-PCSE00832_00-GEKIBLANCNEP0000

Even as someone who couldn't get into Re;Birth1, I'm tempted by that price.
Blanc vs Zombies is a Senran Kagura clone. They fixed a number of issues with Neptunia U but it is a standalone story not connected to the other ones. Aside from slight variations based on character selection and grinding for items there is no real story replay value. There's a multiplayer mode with bosses (but it can be played single player) and they cycle out daily, meaning it takes a week to get all the accessories unlocked.

E: Also there's no costume destruction and it has weapon customization so there's a little bit more in that regard.

Got a box from Amazon! 

kJ75F2e.jpg

What could it be!

TEmAeJq.jpg

Thanks Amazon.
Not like I wish you would have sent me Fate/Extella in a box like this or anything

i saw a post regarding this, one bb employee said they were suppose to update the page with the dlc but never did. another employee said if it doesn't show any dlc, then there is none.

i'm about to go pick up my copy in 30 mins, i'll let you know if they email me the code or not.

edit:

got back and had to chat with a rep, after some time investigating she said there is a bonus code for gravity rush 2 and she'll request it to be email immediately. since it's not listed on the site, you might have to ask for it directly.
Did what you suggested and yup they will bump it to the correct department and have an email sent out. Here's also a link to a BB forum post where they said it should be sent out within 48 hours if you had pre-order.

http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Let-s-Talk-Gaming/Gravity-Rush-2-Preorder-Bonus/td-p/982866/page/2

Got a box from Amazon!

kJ75F2e.jpg

What could it be!

TEmAeJq.jpg

Thanks Amazon.
Not like I wish you would have sent me Fate/Extella in a box like this or anything
I just wish there packaging is more consistent. Like the 2 LN I just ordered 2 days ago. One came in a actual box that was a pretty good fit but wasn't overly large while the other one just came in a bubble mailer.

For you Overwatch players, it looks like a Sun Wukong Winston may actually be happening (Please shoot lightning from a staff). As well as three other characters from Journey to the West if this image pans out. It's supposedly a promotional image leak talking about a free week of play in China:

[customspoiler='Image']
DuMfOqx.jpg
[/customspoiler]

So that's likely it for the Legendary skins is that image is real. Anymore will probably be Epic/Purple.

For you Overwatch players, it looks like a Sun Wukong Winston may actually be happening (Please shoot lightning from a staff). As well as three other characters from Journey to the West if this image pans out. It's supposedly a promotional image leak talking about a free week of play in China:

So that's likely it for the Legendary skins is that image is real. Anymore will probably be Epic/Purple.
If this is true, its weird that Hanzo hasn't gotten a new Legendary skin yet. With this, Rein would have 7 legendary skins and Winston and Zen both got one last month. Not complaining, just find it weird how they decide who gets legendary skins and who doesn't.

Edit: And Widow hasn't gotten a new skin since the Summer Games.

I just wish there packaging is more consistent. Like the 2 LN I just ordered 2 days ago. One came in a actual box that was a pretty good fit but wasn't overly large while the other one just came in a bubble mailer.
Amazon is poop for books. I stopped using them for Manga/Light Novels as every time they came in in some poop bubble mailer and usually slightly damaged. RightStuf is very slow on sending stuff out, but their prices are good and the books arrive pristine. One time my box got smacked around badly damaging one manga very badly (amazingly the rest were pristine haha). Easy to get replaced and nice people.

[customspoiler='Image']
DuMfOqx.jpg
[/customspoiler]

Wow, those skins look insane. These are the best skins since the Halloween event, maybe even better. Screw you Tracer and Zarya, hogging up all the event glory! Glad I saved up all my coins till now.

Now the question is, what do the winning poses look like? I think the Halloween grave stones were the best ones, but I can see some kinda fireworks or red envelope or Asian food thing playing out. And I better see a Zenyatta Shaolin Soccer legendary emote.

That Roadhog and Reihn are must haves....though I like the Zen one as well and of course classic Monkey king. I hope there is a firework emote (almost a given I think).

Why is Overwatch so awesome?  Blizz sure made a game full of likable characters.  It's the characters, the skins, all that flavor that keeps you coming back time after time, not the shooting. 

True....though the shooting is excellent too. One of the few games I play well at and shoot relatively accurately. I suck at Titanfall games, COD, Battlefield.....other FPS, yet I truly am pretty good at this. I think it also is that the weapons of all the characters shoot a bit differently. In a game like CoD everything feels the same (though I know some are rapid fire or 3 round burst or whatever) all guns feel and shoot similarly, barring a different gun class like a sniper. Just my humble opinion of course. Also the stages are well made and have a lot of character too. You can always tell who characters are even in skins, which is something as well. Just a fun game, though it gets repetitive, it is a great game to play and get a few games in.

[customspoiler='Image']
DuMfOqx.jpg
[/customspoiler]

i don't have the time to grind but i want those skins... damn, that's another $100 for loot boxes. maybe $200 since these skins are better than the summer olympic and halloween.

True....though the shooting is excellent too. One of the few games I play well at and shoot relatively accurately. I suck at Titanfall games, COD, Battlefield.....other FPS, yet I truly am pretty good at this. I think it also is that the weapons of all the characters shoot a bit differently. In a game like CoD everything feels the same (though I know some are rapid fire or 3 round burst or whatever) all guns feel and shoot similarly, barring a different gun class like a sniper. Just my humble opinion of course. Also the stages are well made and have a lot of character too. You can always tell who characters are even in skins, which is something as well. Just a fun game, though it gets repetitive, it is a great game to play and get a few games in.
That's because game has an incredible amount of aim assist (sticky bullets) lol. The latency bullet check blah blah whatever its called causes everything to hit more.

This game is definately not about tight gunplay.

Amazon is poop for books. I stopped using them for Manga/Light Novels as every time they came in in some poop bubble mailer and usually slightly damaged. RightStuf is very slow on sending stuff out, but their prices are good and the books arrive pristine. One time my box got smacked around badly damaging one manga very badly (amazingly the rest were pristine haha). Easy to get replaced and nice people.
I've actually been reluctant to order from Rightstuf due to scummy practices I've encountered with them. I had the Welcome to the N.H.K. LN backordered with them until they canceled it due to not getting anymore. Shortly after I broke down and bought a slightly inflated priced off Amazon Marketplace and within the package was a receipt/packing list from Rightstuf. So they canceled existing orders so they could inflate the price on Amazon.

That's because game has an incredible amount of aim assist (sticky bullets) lol. The latency bullet check blah blah whatever its called causes everything to hit more.

This game is definately not about tight gunplay.
I thought they improved the latency a bit so it's not as bad. Also play on PC so no aim assist. It might not be tight gameplay, but it's smooth nonetheless. This is great too since a lot of people's weapons aren't bullets.

I've actually been reluctant to order from Rightstuf due to scummy practices I've encountered with them. I had the Welcome to the N.H.K. LN backordered with them until they canceled it due to not getting anymore. Shortly after I broke down and bought a slightly inflated priced off Amazon Marketplace and within the package was a receipt/packing list from Rightstuf. So they canceled existing orders so they could inflate the price on Amazon.
If the price was only slightly inflated then who can say they actually profited more from it? Amazon seller fees are quite high.

Seriously, where is my damn Ryona on the list? This looks like a 2016 election.

and Yomi (Who? Oh, Bellsprouts)
How can you lie like this when you know I've talked about Yomi to you during our game sessions. I would never insult your waifu like this. I honestly feel hurt right now you would do this to me. To atone for your betrayal you must go to Jaden Smith and Shia LaBeouf's live stream in whatever part of NYC they're doing that thing and get in front of the camera and say you love me, or at the very least do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4iC52d-fVY

I can understand Yumi and Hikage making the list, but Yomi baffles me. I thought she was one of the blandest characters in the original lineup.
Yomi was actually always one of more popular characters since the beginning of the series. Some have fallen as more of the new girls got introduced like Homura who was also really popular early on.

I thought they improved the latency a bit so it's not as bad. Also play on PC so no aim assist. It might not be tight gameplay, but it's smooth nonetheless. This is great too since a lot of people's weapons aren't bullets.
They did update the tick rate from 30 to 60 some time ago, yes (At least on PC). It helps, but it could always be better. You're correct we don't exactly have aim assist on PC, but enemies to projectile characters tend to have larger hitboxes. It used to be pretty bad, but patches have made it better. Hanzo being the worst offender, but his log size has been reduced (on PC at least). Though there was a bug for a while that screwed projectile characters. I also suppose some attacks have very wide ranges too that may feel like aim assist, such as Mei's freeze.

So long as you turn off mouse acceleration and turn on reduce buffering aiming shouldn't have any issues. Reduce Buffering was something added in December I believe.

If the price was only slightly inflated then who can say they actually profited more from it? Amazon seller fees are quite high.
Well, slightly by comparison rather. My back order was like $10 and they listed it on Amazon for $30 which is slightly inflated compared to $100+ from other sellers.

Well, slightly by comparison rather. My back order was like $10 and they listed it on Amazon for $30 which is slightly inflated compared to $100+ from other sellers.
That is a bit scummy for sure. Still I consider their actual product and shipping top of the class. I love their insert which keeps all the books in place, and also the generous amount of packing material. I also like how sometimes they tell you who packed it. They usually let you know when stuff is on backorder and sometimes when it will be in (like for Monster Encyclopedia). Also you easily can cancel and I have when I had a hard time with finances (hospitals suck...the bills at least!) and recently for my job woes. They are supportive and have even sent me little things such as a pendant or a bookmark, since I think they remember me since I'm consistently pre-ordering stuff. Rightstuf may not be perfect, but they treat me extremely well, and I know shopping from them has been a joy other than the inconsistent delivery, which sometimes they take a while to get things out.

Amazon third party seller stuff is usually bull anyway, and when real companies do this to get some money (I know a board game place sometimes does it with almost OOP stuff) it is garbage period.

I'm talking about on PC. There are larger hitboxes, stickier bullets, whatever you want to call it dude. That's why you perform better than you do in other shooters.

Story of Seasons....woot. Quite enjoy these games and I hope this one has a bit more of a social life improvement, since a lot of the townfolk seemed to repeat stuff quite a bit.

For those who ordered Gravity Rush 2 from Amazon, did you guys get your Preorder bonus DLC email? I just got my game but no email.

I wonder if it's because they never updated the status of my order to shipped though.

I don't remember Zelda games where characters talk like english or w/e it was just noises... This will be the first one or am I missing something.. So I don't see why this is a big deal  :whistle2:k

How can you lie like this when you know I've talked about Yomi to you during our game sessions. I would never insult your waifu like this. I honestly feel hurt right now you would do this to me. To atone for your betrayal you must go to Jaden Smith and Shia LaBeouf's live stream in whatever part of NYC they're doing that thing and get in front of the camera and say you love me, or at the very least do this.
I'm sowwie...

ac7c487a6325522296b4522374b6f554.gif

Forgive me?

47441-date-a-live-kotori-itsuka-asking-for-help.gif

I guess I overreacted from the results of the poll. Still salty my Ryona didn't get on it, and that Yomi got both top 3 and the extra maid outfit in Peach Beach Splash (PBS? What an initialism...) Still don't really get her personality. Nothing really stands out except the whole super nice and trophy wife thing. Not really unique/special, like how Haruka is a sadist, Ryona a masochist, Shiki an airhead blonde, Girl Next Door Asuka, or pervy Katsuragi. Yomi and Yumi seems kinda... normal.

I also can't be anywhere near Jaden Smith or Shia LeBeouf. For their sake. I fear I might stuff Shia LeBeouf's head in the toilet to wash away his hair, then proceed to make Jaden Smith eat his own smartphone so he may never tweet again.

Good thing I didn't start WWI earlier, Waifu War One, although we seem to be on the brink of it in this thread as of late. The archduke lives for another day.

Is it possible that the reseller you bought it from originally bought it from RS and just left the paperwork in there when they sold it to you?

Why is Overwatch so awesome? Blizz sure made a game full of likable characters. It's the characters, the skins, all that flavor that keeps you coming back time after time, not the shooting.
Would love to see them take the IP into different genres, personally. Something single-player friendly with a story mode would be really cool.

Great now tell me what else to buy. I was thinking Persona 5 but I don't like the LE.
If you don't already have orders for them, maybe:

Yakuza 0

Operation Babel

Gravity Rush 2

Dragon Quest VIII

Tales of Berseria

Nier Automata

Dragon Quest Heroes II

Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Puyo Puyo Tetris

other Switch games or maybe an accessory (SD card if Best Buy has some decent prices on some, and if you're planning to get a switch)

I've used the visa checkout promo a lot. So many preorders. My desktop PC died recently and I strongly suspected it was the motherboard so I'm doing almost a complete upgrade and got some PC stuff from them. I was planning to wait for info on the Ryzen CPU, but the PC suddenly dying sort of threw a wrench in that plan.

They don't have great stock / prices for most PC stuff other than peripherals though, so I think I ultimately just got a keyboard. If you need a peripheral or maybe an SSD those could be solid bets in addition to games.

I'm sowwie...

Forgive me?

I guess I overreacted from the results of the poll. Still salty my Ryona didn't get on it, and that Yomi got both top 3 and the extra maid outfit in Peach Beach Splash (PBS? What an initialism...) Still don't really get her personality. Nothing really stands out except the whole super nice and trophy wife thing. Not really unique/special, like how Haruka is a sadist, Ryona a masochist, Shiki an airhead blonde, Girl Next Door Asuka, or pervy Katsuragi. Yomi and Yumi seems kinda... normal.

I also can't be anywhere near Jaden Smith or Shia LeBeouf. For their sake. I fear I might stuff Shia LeBeouf's head in the toilet to wash away his hair, then proceed to make Jaden Smith eat his own smartphone so he may never tweet again.

Good thing I didn't start WWI earlier, Waifu War One, although we seem to be on the brink of it in this thread as of late. The archduke lives for another day.
Seeing that gif reminds me how I wished they made a full anime series of Kowarekake no Orgel, that OVA was so comfy.

There is no need for war only love, remember that Waifu Lives Matter.

Also, I'm still getting the Switch but I swear all these information lately is suffering.

Nintendo = Trump Supporter

Fanbase = Protesters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y-BG88VmGI

Is it possible that the reseller you bought it from originally bought it from RS and just left the paperwork in there when they sold it to you?
Nope, the paperwork was addressed to me. I also just checked my order confirmation and the current listing and they've since changed their name on Amazon (Current on top, e-mail on bottom)

tumblr_ok4odcLC271qiplzlo1_400.png

The biggest dig is that my order was actually only $5.99 + $3 shipping

AND they currently have it available on Rightstuf for $13.49

Well that does suck. I for one love Rightstuf and how they seem to be more personal and helpful in this rapidly evolving anonymous age. I've been ordering from them for years and am always astounded how nice all my manga and light novels come in. They also are very easy to reach for customer service. Only negative I have is some weird shipping delays I always get, which lead to a mass influx of boxes coming at once. I don't mind, but I would prefer sometimes more stuff being sent as it comes in. It's usually close to release, but not day of or sometimes within a few days. Course the price more than makes up for it, along with the quality. Course as I said before amazon sellers can be scummy, and that is scummy. I don't think it's indicative of Rightstuf as a whole though. Just my humble opinion of course.

FF12: The Zodiac Age is going to be awesome.  It's one of my top three games in the series for sure.  However, the game basically looks unchanged from the PS2 version.  Just smoother textures and a some upgraded resolution, but not much change overall.  I expected it to look better.  It's especially telling during the jittery movement during the scene on the video where they zone-in to the beach.  Really doesn't seem like they remade much of anything in the game. 

Loaded up Netflix and this time I was greeted by a Season 2 ad for Voltron in case anybody isn't aware it released and liked the first season. I believe the first season was mentioned previously in the thread around the time of its release, so I figured I'd bring it up.

And I hated Final Fantasy XII for its combat.

Loaded up Netflix and this time I was greeted by a Season 2 ad for Voltron in case anybody isn't aware it released and liked the first season. I believe the first season was mentioned previously in the thread around the time of its release, so I figured I'd bring it up.

And I hated Final Fantasy XII for its combat.
I actually just got Netflix again a few days ago, after having not had it in years, and I saw they had a new Voltron show, is it any good?

bread's done
Back