Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought 24 boxes. I pulled 3 legendary skins for the event. They were all palanquin dva skins. It's the skin I wanted the most but it's frustrating that I pull the same skin multiple times. I would have wanted a mei, roadhog or zenyatta also.
When you see a Legendary Color from the Loot Box, only for it to turn out to be money. smh

When you see a Legendary Color from the Loot Box, only for it to turn out to be money. smh
This basically sums up my experience with loot boxes.

If for some reason you haven't yet, right now is a good time to pick up both Trails of Cold Steel + ToCS II at GS for $29.99 each new.

http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/games/the-legend-of-heroes-trails-of-cold-steel-lionheart-edition/125479
http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/games/the-legend-of-heroes-trails-of-cold-steel-2/129172
Before somebody asks, the CE for the first game has slots to hold the discs for both the games. That's why there's only a CE for the first game.

Vita is also $30 (CSI & CSII) since only the PS3 version were linked, but prepare for slowdowns if you go that route.

I feel your backlog pain.I'm finishing up FFXV right now. Just completed the pain in the ass Pitioss dungeon, but the black hood accessory is awesome. I've never played any of the Dragon Quest games and just snagged DQVI, V, VI, and IX with VII on the way. I have a feeling I'll be snagging VIII sometime in the next month or so. I've just had this urge to play Nintendo games and figured I'd finally knock out the DQ games I could get my hands on. Though, I always have read that you can put 100s of hours into them.

I'm gunning to finally play:

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero, Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, Riskey's Revenge

Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness

Corpse Party: Blood Drive

Root Letter

And finally finish SAO: Lost Song, among a few others.

Good luck on the backlog clearing. =)
I'm working on tear to tiara 2 right now and alpha sapphire on my 3ds (though I am almost done with that just the elite 4 to go)

My next planned game is so5 since its suposed to be short so I figure I could bust it out relatively quick.

I'm working on tear to tiara 2 right now and alpha sapphire on my 3ds (though I am almost done with that just the elite 4 to go)

My next planned game is so5 since its suposed to be short so I figure I could bust it out relatively quick.
How's Tears to Tiara 2? I'm pretty sure I bought it day 1 and promptly added it to my backlog. Its a very cute looking game.

How's Tears to Tiara 2? I'm pretty sure I bought it day 1 and promptly added it to my backlog. Its a very cute looking game.
The beginning is super rough since its text heavy and took I think 2-3 hours just to get to the first skirmish. The dialogue was incredibly golden sun style in that they spend paragraphs talking about nothing. Once you get to the rebel army the plot finally pops in thankfully and you get to the actual meat of the game. Story is far more interesting to read going from there. Gameplays pretty good. Its a shame there isn't more of it. Only negative I have is that the menus take a bit to figure out what is where and how to access them as far as combat goes.

Really like that it has a fastforward button via square since the panning and characters walking ect such stuff between dialogue is terrible without it. One minor issue is that the voice work is jpn only. I would have preferred not having to read as much in such a dialogue heavy game. Also needed auto advance option for when dialogue finishes either text or being spoken wise.

All in all its an ok game. I knew going in there wouldn't be much combat. Didn't know it was jpn only. Its a shame there isn't more of the combat though since its a relatively solid srpg.

Plus points to not using the breathing/moving images while talking like in a number of visual novels for dialogue portraits as I cannot stand those. So far they have a few different facial animations for them as well so its not too bad there. And they somewhat time them via the dialogue though sometimes they appear too early.

Writing wise besides the very awkward beginning its ok. Not as heavy on anime tropes/cliches as I would think it would have been. The portrayal of the whipping scene was very expertly done and felt really uncomfortable to sit through even though you only hear it/read it not actually see it graphics wise when it happens to the character models. That was poorly done since they are very detailed in what is happening to the character in question but character model wise nothing changed. I would have either rendered the stuff to the character model or moved it out of frame with just the npc's reactions on screen.

As its Kinda hard to take thing seriously when they go oh he's bleeding and his back is split open when you can't visually see it.

The beginning is super rough since its text heavy and took I think 2-3 hours just to get to the first skirmish.
That's pretty normal for Aquaplus games which are Visual Novels first and foremost with the SRPG aspect taking a back seat. I would expect the same with the two upcoming Utawarerumono games that Atlus is translating if you are interested in those at all. Just an fyi.

Well, the ones that are VN/SRPG hybrids anyways.

Just got an email from Best Buy with a Gravity Rush 2 pre-order bonus code. Check yours if you were looking for it

(soundtrack and Kat's white costume)

I feel your backlog pain.I'm finishing up FFXV right now. Just completed the pain in the ass Pitioss dungeon, but the black hood accessory is awesome. I've never played any of the Dragon Quest games and just snagged DQVI, V, VI, and IX with VII on the way. I have a feeling I'll be snagging VIII sometime in the next month or so. I've just had this urge to play Nintendo games and figured I'd finally knock out the DQ games I could get my hands on. Though, I always have read that you can put 100s of hours into them.

I'm gunning to finally play:

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero, Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, Riskey's Revenge

Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness

Corpse Party: Blood Drive

Root Letter

And finally finish SAO: Lost Song, among a few others.

Good luck on the backlog clearing. =)
Ohhhhhhhh, nice to have a new fellow DQ fan.

DQIX is the time sink and one of my most favorite. The clothes and classes is amazing.

V is my next favorite one.

Then if you like Pokemon or monster taming you have to try the two Joker games and hope we get Joker 3.

Ohhhhhhhh, nice to have a new fellow DQ fan.

DQIX is the time sink and one of my most favorite. The clothes and classes is amazing.

V is my next favorite one.

Then if you like Pokemon or monster taming you have to try the two Joker games and hope we get Joker 3.
I've always liked the idea of the DQ series, but never really had a lot of exposure to it at the times they were released. I didn't get into RPGs until the SNES, and went the way of the PlayStation after that. I had a GBA, and a DS, but they were stolen at the same time. So I have some ground to cover. I can't wait to really delve into the series. Hopefully I can get through them before my son is born this summer....of course, I can always learn to play a 3DS and hold a baby at the time time. =P

Hey guys, I found the leaked title for Star Wars Episode IX.

C3CsGBIXUAIuhlw.jpg

I've always liked the idea of the DQ series, but never really had a lot of exposure to it at the times they were released. I didn't get into RPGs until the SNES, and went the way of the PlayStation after that. I had a GBA, and a DS, but they were stolen at the same time. So I have some ground to cover. I can't wait to really delve into the series. Hopefully I can get through them before my son is born this summer....of course, I can always learn to play a 3DS and hold a baby at the time time. =P
OMG you are so going to love it.

I remember playing Dragon Warriors on GBC and Dragon Warrior Monster and wanna rebuy them so I can play them again.

Hitomi wearing a blonde wig? Dear god I need her in her full tan with that, it's gonna be like she went full gyaru.

If you look real close you can spot BlackRockWaifu hiding in the giant Ryona.

Senran Kagura: Peach Beach Splash water gun introduction gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ay7-M0Uu_M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsBimtEDo3k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4Y5bZtf5_M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJoOKO9dQew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UriUk1217T8
Splatoon 2 and Senran Kagura Peach Beach Splash both coming out this year truly shows the new age of shooters involves waifus. Activision and EA are gonna have to start playing catch up and learn whats kawaii.

I hope Judd is in this one, I always liked him waving the victory flag after a match :whistle2:
I have an Inkling that may happen if there's ever a Switch version.

Hey guys, I found the leaked title for Star Wars Episode IX.

C3CsGBIXUAIuhlw.jpg
I'm taking this opportunity to talk about Star Wars Battlefront since BlackRockWaifu mentioned to me last week how he wanted to get back to playing it and said how a few of our fellow nakamas in this thread bought the game and have been wanting to play together but that has yet to happen. Remember folks BlackRockWaifu also made a shooter community also for anything shooting game related.

Nice. Since the release date is still basically TBD on the PS4 version, we might see a simultaneously release or within a very short window. Hopefully whoever ports it is the same people who have done Zestiria & Berseria as they are pretty decent ports. Not super great, but above average for Japanese ports.

EDIT: Looks like it is a simultaneously 2017 release.

There's not going to be a Firis LE according to Koei Tecmo's twitter.

E: Also Japanese DOAX3 has VR mode now but it's only free to download for another month.

Nice. Since the release date is still basically TBD on the PS4 version, we might see a simultaneously release or within a very short window. Hopefully whoever ports it is the same people who have done Zestiria & Berseria as they are pretty decent ports. Not super great, but above average for Japanese ports.

EDIT: Looks like it is a simultaneously 2017 release.
I am squeeing at work that people are looking at me strangely but I do not care.

Ni No Kuni was one of my favorite RPG games and can not wait to play 2.

I also need to replay the original so I can finish it, as i stopped at the castle.

Edit: Why does it look they took out the monster hunting aspect and you can these Higgly things?

What the heck? That was my favorite part?

Still trudging through my first Da Capo 3 route...course I only played for about an hour and a half yesterday. It somehow got worse. I'm sure something amazing will come up and be like ah this is a cool route. What specifically happened 
Girl becomes jealous and starts following the main character around.
Garbage honestly and the route is so boring. I think i'm almost done at least.

I had the worst luck with randoms yesterday on Overwatch. It took me a bit over an hour to earn 2 arcade wins. So many losses and so little working together as a team. I was getting tired of playing because it would go like one group of 2 would get murdered, and I was usually with 1 or so person maybe saying group up. Another group of 2 gets murdered by their whole group...so it's me stuck putting in the chat since no one was using voice chat...wait for everyone to be up and group up. It got old fast, and made me not want to play the game anymore with randoms. 

I'm taking this opportunity to talk about Star Wars Battlefront since BlackRockWaifu mentioned to me last week how he wanted to get back to playing it and said how a few of our fellow nakamas in this thread bought the game and have been wanting to play together but that has yet to happen. Remember folks BlackRockWaifu also made a shooter community also for anything shooting game related.
Is this a closed community? I have both Overwatch and SW:B, but I've yet to start on SW:B even though I really want to play the Rogue One DLC.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but Akiba's Beat is getting an exclusive limited edition set in UK and is exclusive to GAME for PS4/Vita.

http://www.game.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product2_10151_10201__44____ProductDisplayErrorView?productId=1794321

I haven't order from Game in awhile, but how is their shipping? Do they package well, or is it more Rice BS ass packaging?
They pack as crappy as Rice, and their customer service is worse. Shipping rates are better though.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but Akiba's Beat is getting an exclusive limited edition set in UK and is exclusive to GAME for PS4/Vita.

http://www.game.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product2_10151_10201__44____ProductDisplayErrorView?productId=1794321

I haven't order from Game in awhile, but how is their shipping? Do they package well, or is it more Rice BS ass packaging?
Rice is also getting a exclusive CE. I'm done with PAL exclusive CE's. They're a waste of money.

Akiba’s Beat ‘NEET Edition’ announced for Europe
Rice Digital will sell an exclusive “NEET Edition” of Akiba’s Beat in Europe.
Seeing as the Game one is basically just a game and an artbook, I'd wait and see if VGP throws out something similar.

This is rich. I don't know if people are aware, but Best Buy screwed a lot of people over on the limited edition of KH 2.8 by sending them standard copies and they delayed a bunch of people's shipments. Mine finally went out and I ended up getting the standard edition even though it says LE on the packing list. There's a thread in the best buy unlocked forum and they're basically like "it's just a pin, there is no in game content difference between the two versions. If you feel that strongly, try switching in store". Uhhhh, kind of rubs me the wrong way. People should get what they ordered/paid for...

Holy shit guys Square Enix is a making an Avengers RPG.... oh wait it's Crystal Dynamics... move along these are not the droids video games you're looking for.

Square Enix and Marvel announce multi-game partnership leading with The Avengers project

But seriously, thoughts? expectations? Will this include Marvel franchises like Spider-Man which Sony is currently making one with Insomniac games or X-Men and Fantastic Four which Disney treats now like if they were literally Hitler.

I had the worst luck with randoms yesterday on Overwatch. It took me a bit over an hour to earn 2 arcade wins. So many losses and so little working together as a team. I was getting tired of playing because it would go like one group of 2 would get murdered, and I was usually with 1 or so person maybe saying group up. Another group of 2 gets murdered by their whole group...so it's me stuck putting in the chat since no one was using voice chat...wait for everyone to be up and group up. It got old fast, and made me not want to play the game anymore with randoms.
Playing with randoms isn't so bad tho there does tend to be unfortunate times, but Overwatch is always more fun with friends, I always enjoy when I play with CAG more. We have fun, we laugh, we joke about the other team even if we're getting our asses kicked. Just a few more days until BlackRockWaifu comes back and we can play together, he's always the one who brings us together. So until then I just play with a bunch of randoms while listening to that Marshmello song. You know the one, the one with like 20 different remixes "Alone".

Is this a closed community? I have both Overwatch and SW:B, but I've yet to start on SW:B even though I really want to play the Rogue One DLC.
It's open to everyone, you can find it on BlackRockWaifu's PSN username Waffleswanton

The content updates actually stop in February according to a Famitsu article. There could be some sales after that.
Then they release Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 Ultimate with more girls and more DLC.

Speaking of DLC I can't believe they're doing a Season Pass 6 for DOA Last Round. There wasn't any indication there was gonna be a 6th and looked like it would end after the 5th Season Pass. Then out of nowhere Season Pass 6 just popped up last week.

But seriously, thoughts? expectations? Will this include Marvel franchises like Spider-Man which Sony is currently making one with Insomniac games or X-Men and Fantastic Four which Disney treats now like if they were literally Hitler.
It's not Activision, so it can only go up. Crystal Dynamics and Edios Montreal make decent games though. I just hope that the Marvel license doesn't die one year after release and then the game get pulled like every Activision Marvel game inevitably does.

I don't know if Fox/Sony's reach on their Marvel licensed IPs have any reach into games (Fox in particular). Hopefully not so long as they're not basing anything off of a movie, which I wouldn't want anyways. I think Spider-Man is likely regardless, but as for the other two it's hard to say. The games are too far out to put much thought into them anyways because there's no point in getting hyped for something so far in the future.

Move along these are not the droids video games you're looking for.

Just a few more days until BlackRockWaifu comes back and we can play together, he's always the one who brings us together.

It's open to everyone, you can find it on BlackRockWaifu's PSN username Waffleswanton
I love you so much you can't even imagine...

8084-Anime-Kawaii-Black-Rock-Shooter-Yomi-Mato-Kuroi-Mato-Yomi-....gif

Yeah, I'll be back in a few days, so we can get to grinding some loot boxes then. I read somewhere you can get daily loot boxes from the new CTF mode, so that pisses me off that I missed so many already. I got Thatguy, Vic_x51, EdJericho, Draco, and Texan on lock already, these are the CAGers I usually play with, so if anyone else wants to join us, just Friend Request me or post on the CAG thread/community, as like EdJericho said, I am usually the one who sets these things up.

Also, the CAG communities on PS4 thus far are "CAG Japanese Niche Games Community", "CAG Overwatch Group", and "CAG FPS Fraternity" if you want to look them up, all open to join.

Don't go to the "CAGs on PSN" community, that one has been dead for ages, and I'll probably make a new one when I get back.

Like I said before, with the mobile app, the communities aren't PS4 exclusive anymore, so just download the app if you want to come and chat (really about anything, not just games, helps when you want to say something randomish and not disrupt the news flow of the cag thread) or want to enjoy some nice cosplay photos. Thanks!

Rice is also getting a exclusive CE. I'm done with PAL exclusive CE's. They're a waste of money.
Yeah, I just saw my email from Rice, and what their set includes. I really don't care about the box(or most extra's), all I ever want is the art book. Normally I get these Pqube titles from VGP, as they normally offer the art book included at regular price. But they are only offering the plushy, so unless I can get the art book on the secondary market, I'll for sure be passing on Game & Rice.

This is rich. I don't know if people are aware, but Best Buy screwed a lot of people over on the limited edition of KH 2.8 by sending them standard copies and they delayed a bunch of people's shipments. Mine finally went out and I ended up getting the standard edition even though it says LE on the packing list. There's a thread in the best buy unlocked forum and they're basically like "it's just a pin, there is no in game content difference between the two versions. If you feel that strongly, try switching in store". Uhhhh, kind of rubs me the wrong way. People should get what they ordered/paid for...
I actually preordered the LE for in store pickup and they put aside the right version of the game so I'm not sure where the disconnect was with this. From the accounts I read it almost seems like BB sent all the LEs to the stores since many stores had a huge surplus of them.

Yeah, I just saw my email from Rice, and what their set includes. I really don't care about the box(or most extra's), all I ever want is the art book. Normally I get these Pqube titles from VGP, as they normally offer the art book included at regular price. But they are only offering the plushy, so unless I can get the art book on the secondary market, I'll for sure be passing on Game & Rice.
Amazon is also listing the plush as a preorder bonus. Which makes me wonder if other US retailers are getting any sort of bonuses? I'd like to order from Best Buy but if they are just selling the standard edition of the game then I will go with Amazon.

bread's done
Back