Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazon is also listing the plush as a preorder bonus. Which makes me wonder if other US retailers are getting any sort of bonuses? I'd like to order from Best Buy but if they are just selling the standard edition of the game then I will go with Amazon.
Only Amazon and Gamestop have the plush. Best Buy isn't according to Xseed. They said they would try, but that was months ago. They also made it sound like they couldn't get it to BBY, or they don't want to participate or something.

If you didn't see, ebay flash sale $15 off $75 code CJANUARY15OFF works on psn/xbox/eshop/steam cards. I picked up $80 steam bux in preparation for getting Nights of Azure and Sophie/FIris.

I read somewhere you can get daily loot boxes from the new CTF mode, so that pisses me off that I missed so many already.
Pretty sure that's not true. You get a free box for winning your first CTF match, but that's it. Night Market CTF is the biggest waste of time ever. It's just two teams of Sym/Torb waiting out the clock. Control Center and Garden are a little better, but can be a headache if you don't coordinate.

I just do Mystery Heroes if I want my Arcade wins for boxes. Plus there's a glitch in 3v3 where Dva just straight up falls through the map if you get shot out of the mech.

That's a lot of money WhoKnows is asking for. I hope he keeps his word and doesn't actually try to spend it all on Pepsi and Honoka figurines then blames Indignate for the money gone missing.

Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Fig campaign launched

I love you so much you can't even imagine...
UraraMeirochou-Episode1-Omake-1_zpsboyoz1w3.gif

Yeah, I'll be back in a few days, so we can get to grinding some loot boxes then. I read somewhere you can get daily loot boxes from the new CTF mode, so that pisses me off that I missed so many already. I got Thatguy, Vic_x51, EdJericho, Draco, and Texan on lock already, these are the CAGers I usually play with, so if anyone else wants to join us, just Friend Request me or post on the CAG thread/community, as like EdJericho said, I am usually the one who sets these things up.
I never played Arcade aside from that previous time you needed help getting some Loot Boxes. I assumed the Loot Box you get from events were reset every day. Especially since you mentioned in the CAG Overwatch thread you opened up 50 Loot Boxes during the last event so I thought it was due to daily Loot Boxes being a thing. But it doesn't seem to be the case not even with the CTF event going on like you were told.

Pretty sure that's not true. You get a free box for winning your first CTF match, but that's it. Night Market CTF is the biggest waste of time ever. It's just two teams of Sym/Torb waiting out the clock. Control Center and Garden are a little better, but can be a headache if you don't coordinate.

I just do Mystery Heroes if I want my Arcade wins for boxes. Plus there's a glitch in 3v3 where Dva just straight up falls through the map if you get shot out of the mech.
Guess that explains this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqWct_0wrmM

I don't know if it's mentioned yet but the steam pages for Atelier Sophie and Nights of Azure are up.

Also I just put in an order for SRW5 on playasia. Used Censored code to take a bit($3) off.
The price of the steam release has been revealed and it's much better than we anticipated. $30 each. And 20% off for the pair makes it $48 for both. Whew~ I was prepared to break the bank when some people were saying it could be $50-$60. I imagine Firis will release at a higher price though considering it's a new game.

I used it to get a Miku

FIGURE-017911.jpg
Which seller?

I'm actually quite surprised you do mystery heroes. I like to believe I'm at least average with most of the roster, but the rng in that thing can really screw you over. I vastly prefer doing 3v3s for loot boxes as they're usually quicker and nowhere near as random.

This is rich. I don't know if people are aware, but Best Buy screwed a lot of people over on the limited edition of KH 2.8 by sending them standard copies and they delayed a bunch of people's shipments. Mine finally went out and I ended up getting the standard edition even though it says LE on the packing list. There's a thread in the best buy unlocked forum and they're basically like "it's just a pin, there is no in game content difference between the two versions. If you feel that strongly, try switching in store". Uhhhh, kind of rubs me the wrong way. People should get what they ordered/paid for...
I got my 2.8 from Best Buy and it is LE.

I'm actually quite surprised you do mystery heroes. I like to believe I'm at least average with most of the roster, but the rng in that thing can really screw you over. I vastly prefer doing 3v3s for loot boxes as they're usually quicker and nowhere near as random.
I just really like the mode cause it gives me a chance to be Widowmaker without feeling like a tryhard loser. I'm willing to take the possible terrible team comp for a little random fun for possible boxes.

I absolutely love Mystery Heroes as well.  You don't have to play against a bunch of pre-mades, individual player skill shines, and you gotta be decent with all the classes which is what this game is all about.  So sick of Free Play and getting stuck with Widowmakers, Hanzos, and people who won't switch cuz "2 tanks, 2 healers is the meta".

Huh. I didn't realize amiami sold on ebay. And free expedited shipping too. It's only marked up a little. Really good buy.
Seems like they only do EMS on ebay which is nice. I was already tempted to get that Miku before, but that $15 off pushed me to go through with it.

Can anyone recommend Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax for PS3 and tell me how it compares to Under Night for PS3 as a fighting game? There's a new copy at a GameStop near me, and I'm considering a purchase since it seems to be hard to find at retail.

Forgot about the Flash Sale cuz I was celebrating my cousin's bday. :( Oh well. Gotta wait for the next sale
Sad cause I missed it too, cause I just got paid and had my eye on a few games.

Oh well.

Also anyone that ordered the new Story of Seasons, will the plush just come with the game?

Only reason I pre ordered it with them.

Can anyone recommend Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax for PS3 and tell me how it compares to Under Night for PS3 as a fighting game? There's a new copy at a GameStop near me, and I'm considering a purchase since it seems to be hard to find at retail.
under night is more technical. dengeki bunko is more casual friendly, since it's catered to the anime community that aren't as serious about fighting games but want to play their favorite characters. dengeki bunko is very easy to get into and have fun.

there's technically a dengeki bunko 2 for the ps4 with more characters but it's JP only.

Sad cause I missed it too, cause I just got paid and had my eye on a few games.
Oh well.

Also anyone that ordered the new Story of Seasons, will the plush just come with the game?
Only reason I pre ordered it with them.
If you go to the item page it will say on it that it comes with the plushie.

Their sales probably took quite a hit when they decided to take away free shipping in the first place, and now they come up with a clunky solution, that's still fairly half-assed.

Aw well.

Hopefully Brexit will continue to destroy their currency so I can take advantage of the free shipping some time soon, without paying an arm and a leg. :D

Their sales probably took quite a hit when they decided to take away free shipping in the first place, and now they come up with a clunky solution, that's still fairly half-assed.

Aw well.

Hopefully Brexit will continue to destroy their currency so I can take advantage of the free shipping some time soon, without paying an arm and a leg. :D
That would certainly be nice. I remember when I used to import stuff from australia and canada like crazy due to currency conversion XD

That's still a $150 minimum order to get the free shipping. Not fantastic IMO.
Yeah, in the email they sent out, they promote it as pretty much 2 CE to qualify. So if anyone has 2 CE on their radar, I guess this is a deal for them. LOL When I first saw the email, I was like WOW, Rice finally came to their senses, and went back to free shipping. Then I saw the minimum order amount, and just deleted the email.

I guess this is an improvement over what was currently being offered, but in the same way being hit by a car, might be an improvement over being shot. Depending on ones perspective, neither might really be an actual improvement though.

The free shipping was the only silver lining in an otherwise bad situation, as everything I ever got from them came packaged like a 5 year old did it, but at least the shipping was free, so you pretty much got what you paid for. Now you get to spend a boat load of cash to get the free shipping, and you still get damaged CE on top of that, so yeah, I think I'll be passing on this so called deal.

Can I just say that March is going to be brutal for most gamers and myself.

Looking at the release calender makes me wanna cry like a baby and work lots of Overtime.

Like WTHecks

Not even including if you plan on buying anything Switch related. (I am waiting for Fire Emblem games)

I see at least 8 games on that list I want to get.

Hope someone has a B1G1 free sale.

03/07 Atelier Firis: The Alchemist and the Mysterious Journey :ps4:
03/07 NieR: Automata :ps4:
03/14 Akiba’s Beat :ps4:
03/14 Danganronpa 1-2 Reload :ps4:
03/14 Star Trek Bridge Crew VR :ps4:
03/14 Styx: Shards of Darkness :ps4: :xb1:
03/21 Touhou Genso Wanderer :ps4:
03/21 Mass Effect Andromeda :ps4: :xb1:
03/21 Anima: Gate of Memories :ps4:
03/21 Troll and I :ps4: :xb1:
03/24 Zero Escape The Nonary Games :ps4:
03/28 Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5 Remix :ps4:
03/28 Vikings: Wolves of Midgard :ps4: :xb1:
03/31 Tekken 7 :ps4: :xb1:
03/31 South Park: The Fractured But Whole :ps4: :xb1:
03/31 Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 :ps4: :xb1:

Yeah, in the email they sent out, they promote it as pretty much 2 CE to qualify. So if anyone has 2 CE on their radar, I guess this is a deal for them. LOL When I first saw the email, I was like WOW, Rice finally came to their senses, and went back to free shipping. Then I saw the minimum order amount, and just deleted the email.

I guess this is an improvement over what was currently being offered, but in the same way being hit by a car, might be an improvement over being shot. Depending on ones perspective, neither might really be an actual improvement though.

The free shipping was the only silver lining in an otherwise bad situation, as everything I ever got from them came packaged like a 5 year old did it, but at least the shipping was free, so you pretty much got what you paid for. Now you get to spend a boat load of cash to get the free shipping, and you still get damaged CE on top of that, so yeah, I think I'll be passing on this so called deal.
Fully agree with everything you're saying. I guess in the words of Comcept, "it's better than nothing".

Looking at the release calender makes me wanna cry like a baby and work lots of Overtime.
Like WTHecks
Not even including if you plan on buying anything Switch related. (I am waiting for Fire Emblem games)

Damn, I was so focused on Switch stuff I completely forgot about any other games coming out that month......I'm interested in like 8 in that list too. Sorry, wallet. :(

Like WTHecks

Probably just Switch and Nier for me.

No LE for Atelier makes me not feel the need to get it at release.

Lot of good games on that March list, thankfully it's mostly games that I can wait until they're $20. I want at least eight of those games too and wouldn't be playing any of them anytime soon.  Nioh is the next full priced game I'm going to jump on at its release date, then some Switch stuff, and Persona 5 after that.

I'd like to take a moment to thank Ubisoft, EA, and all the other publishers for devaluing their own franchises to the level where we know we can buy these games for $20-25 just a couple months after they release.  Seeing as I'm buying 40-80 boxed retail games a year, I need to be more patient.

I am a little worried about Horzion: Zero Dawn and NieR Automata being good enough that they ruin this plan though.

Like WTHecks

About 8 things I plan on getting day one on that list lol. Seven of them are already preordered and paid for luckily, so it shouldn't feel too bad at least.

it's not really devaluing, it's just the market gets flooded with used copies. publishers don't get any sales from used games, so their only option is to compete with used prices by dropping their price to a reasonable amount that warrants the purchase of a new copy instead of used.

deals usually happen within the first 3 months and official msrp price cut happens after...

now that's not all, shops are also competing to move stocks. more competition for them means better deals for the us.

First quarter of the year is packed, lots of games I'd like to get but many/most won't be at release.
It's been non-stop for me since November, but I only bought the Atelier Shallie Vita LE and Gravity Rush 2 so far for 2017. Don't think I'm getting anything in February, but going to pick up Nier Automata, Zero Escape Nonary Games, and maybe Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3.

Persona 5 is still my most anticipated game though.

Like WTHecks

Tekken 7 isn't coming out until June.

But list is missing God Wars: Future Past and Toukiden 2.

bread's done
Back