Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah i'm done likely with FE heroes. I pulled a Roy (another 5 star) and have been using him in my teams. I'm on the last stage, but the mages and healers they have (plus they have 5 heroes vs 4 on your team) means i can't beat it with my current team. I need a healer or another Mage, as those guys are bit too strong. The story is GARBAGE though. If this really is the last mission (9-5), it's pure garbage. The disparity between 4 and 5 star units is ridiculous, as is the grind to raise your star level (even for something simple like 2 to 3 star). Whoever thought this was good should be shot. Also whoever thought having 4 vs 5 contests with strong opponents should also be shot. Many of the worst things of F2P exist in this game. It will be forgotten in a week i'm guessing.

On another note I finally finished one Da Capo 3 route. I choose the wrong route! Girl annoyed me so much and her family wasn't much better. Very, very weak ending, and If I read another oh she's so cute line, I will puke. Yeah, that jealous, annoying, overbearing girl who is trying her hardest to fail is cute. I really hope for better routes, but hopefully I got the weakest out of the way. I think Da Capo 3 is OK (don't think it's great) and one thing seems to bother me. The main song that plays when your in the dorms and everywhere really grates on me after a while. Not sure why, and I usually don't notice these generic route themes, but this one stuck out as grating.

Yeah i'm done likely with FE heroes. I pulled a Roy (another 5 star) and have been using him in my teams. I'm on the last stage, but the mages and healers they have (plus they have 5 heroes vs 4 on your team) means i can't beat it with my current team. I need a healer or another Mage, as those guys are bit too strong. The story is GARBAGE though. If this really is the last mission (9-5), it's pure garbage. The disparity between 4 and 5 star units is ridiculous, as is the grind to raise your star level (even for something simple like 2 to 3 star). Whoever thought this was good should be shot. Also whoever thought having 4 vs 5 contests with strong opponents should also be shot. Many of the worst things of F2P exist in this game. It will be forgotten in a week i'm guessing.
That's how pretty much all F2P games work though. I would say I'm fairly well versed in F2P games and have been playing these types for a few years. Minus the ones I've quit or they ended up shutting down, I currently actively play 7 F2P mobile games NOT including this one. So 8 if I do. Two I play hardcore, 2 I semi play hardcore, and the others I just login and do a little bit. FE we'll see if I continue. But I do agree that it seems to be lacking something. Aside from waifus and the cool portrait art, I don't see why we don't just play the real FE games lol.

Although the problem that I'm seeing in this thread is everyone seems to be close to finishing the story. No wonder they're stuck. It has only been a few days. F2P games are meant to be grindfests and last literallly forever. I'm basically just grinding the training area over and over leveling all my units (not just the main ones). You shouldn't be able to breeze through all the content that quickly. The lucky few or the ones who spend a ton of money are the ones that get ahead. Everyone else has to be patient and save up the in game currency.

I don't know how this game will be later in the future, but many games eventually give you free event units/items that will make the parts you are stuck on easier and able to be finished. The problem is when that will happen and if one has the patience. One thing I've noticed though is global is usually treated much worse than their JP counterpart. Whether it has to do with laws or whatever, who knows. We'll see how it is for FE.

But I will say regarding your 4 vs 5 scenario, it gives it challenge. So I wouldn't put that as something bad. Unless you're saying you have all 5* units maxed out in ability and level, and you still can't beat it. Then that would be an issue with the game. But really, the whales need a challenge because they are the ones supporting most of the game. The reason F2P people are important is because it allows whales to either beat on them, rank high to make them feel superior, or just have people to play with. They make the whales, and potentially the dolphins, spend. However, I do agree the upgrading of rarity in FE takes a ridiculous amount considering there's no decent ways to get the materials needed. I haven't looked at 2* to 3* upgrading, but 4* to 5* is definitely insane.

Finally pulled a five star. Got a Cordelia who is nice but is a total glass canon. It seems she can kill anything non- green in one move, but she'll get destroyed by anything that looks at her wrong. My next five pulls were all 3 stars though so that was a bit demoralizing :p
I agree with nitrosmob though in that the story is absolute garbage. I thought the writing had been pretty weak lately in the past couple games but this is kind of ridiculous. Every chapter is just the same general thing with flat characters and no development whatsoever.

Well there's a difficulty mode where you can't grind in the game(i.e. Lunatic mode). I wouldn't know though. By the time I got him, the earliest possible time, he was already too far behind to be of any use to me.
conquest u cant grind anyways, lunatic just made sure that u cant Save/load on stats its all fixed everytime you start new game.

xander needs some item boost and Charlotte, simply because his weapon is broken.

Finally pulled a five star. Got a Cordelia who is nice but is a total glass canon. It seems she can kill anything non- green in one move, but she'll get destroyed by anything that looks at her wrong. My next five pulls were all 3 stars though so that was a bit demoralizing :p
I agree with nitrosmob though in that the story is absolute garbage. I thought the writing had been pretty weak lately in the past couple games but this is kind of ridiculous. Every chapter is just the same general thing with flat characters and no development whatsoever.
heheh. It's a free mobile game.

heheh. It's a free mobile game.
Yet I'm playing Dandy Dungeon, which is also F2P and has a pretty nice albeit simple story. It makes me like the characters and they are fun and such even with the simple story. So if it's a free mobile game I should give the story an automatic pass? Even something like Dragon Ball Dokkan Battle or Final Fantasy Brave Exvius have stories even if they're simple....they're still aight. It makes it more like a waste of time than anything.

Yet I'm playing Dandy Dungeon, which is also F2P and has a pretty nice albeit simple story. It makes me like the characters and they are fun and such even with the simple story. So if it's a free mobile game I should give the story an automatic pass? Even something like Dragon Ball Dokkan Battle or Final Fantasy Brave Exvius have stories even if they're simple....they're still aight. It makes it more like a waste of time than anything.
I guess i'm just saying, I wouldn't expect a great story from a free version of a game that story is already sub par.

I personally haven't played the games you are talking about (I generally don't play mobile games). But I would not expect a free mobile 9 chapter game with ~5 missions per chapter to have a cohesively good story of any kind. TBH I hit the skip button every time.

There is absolutely no way the FE Heroes story could be worse than FE Fates story. None.

"Hey maybe if I do THIS good thing evil dad will love me again! ;_; "

"NO SON/DAUGHTER, NOW DIE... OKAY DONT DIE NOW GO KILL ALL THESE OTHER PEOPLE."

"If I save them with you love me?"

"HOW STUPID ARE YOU"

conquest u cant grind anyways, lunatic just made sure that u cant Save/load on stats its all fixed everytime you start new game.

xander needs some item boost and Charlotte, simply because his weapon is broken.
you can boss grind in conquest just like every other fire emblem game but yeah conquests is incredibly difficult to level in.

And jesus yes at the post above on fates story. man that story was terrible.

Yeah, Fire Emblem Heroes is your typical Gacha game. I guess it's fun for a short while, but getting the characters you really want can be impossible. The quality is there. I love the voice acting, how smooth it runs, the music, but the gameplay and story is relatively shallow.

For anyone tempted to buy orbs for money, don't. It simply isn't worth it. I've rerolled accounts 50+ times already and I still have never seen a 5* Tiki. Why put real money down on a game that is designed to take advantage of unlucky people? You can still beat the game without spending anything, and just reroll accounts if you want a certain character. Unless you really want to throw money at Nintendo, it's unnecessary. Save your money for Fire Emblem Echoes if you need your SRPG fix.

Yakuza 0 was my first Yakuza game and I found the controls janky. I didn't make it out of Chapter 1 before putting the game away.

you're missing out. yakuza stories tend to be great, the combat fun once you unlock more abilities, the mini games are endless... but if you're new to the series and yakuza 0 is your first one, the beginning will start off slow.

i don't blame you for putting it away, hell i would even suggest you sell it and get most of your money back. the game is definitely not for everyone, it's for people that want to immerse themselves with the lore and grow with the characters.
I ended up going back to Yakuza 0 this weekend and I've made it to Chapter 4. The game is growing on me and I'm having fun with it. Someone had mentioned what a great story the game had and I'm in it for the stories. The story is fantastic!

I still feel the character movement is pretty janky, but I can live with it. The fights don't last long for it to bother me anymore.

I had just finished up Steins;Gate 0 the day before starting Yakuza and I don't think I was ready to hop into another game yet. Glad I gave Yakuza another shot. I'll be in on some of these remakes, hopefully.

My new thing is just trying to get Sharena, Anna, and Afonse to 20 so I can upgrade them to 3*s.  It's quick to lvl 13 but now I'm kinda hitting a wall again because these 2* characters suck lol. I will eventually get them to 4*s.  These story characters have really badass attacks if you were ever to get them to 5*

you can boss grind in conquest just like every other fire emblem game but yeah conquests is incredibly difficult to level in.

And jesus yes at the post above on fates story. man that story was terrible.
The fact that it's difficult to grind part of the reason why it's a great game. No more people saying you have to grind to beat this rpg. No you actually have to git gud. :)

Yes, Tharja is best waifu
Glad you agree.

On another note, finally got a 5* in feh. Caeda. Haven't played shadow dragon but do have some exposure to her from Tokyo mirage sessions, so I am ok with this.

Just got a second 5*. Camilla this time. Now I have a workable team with Cordelia and Camilla at 5* and corrin and Lissa at 4*. Have every part of the weapon triangle covered plus a healer/ magic damage dealer.

Outside of Nioh, there's nothing decently large hitting this week other than ports of Sophie/NecroDancer. Though if anybody needs a Nioh co-op partner, you could hit me up. Although the best way to contact me is via Steam or setting up a time/date before hand (Such as an event in the thread's PS4 community). I suppose Mobius Final Fantasy is releasing on PC this week, but it's free to play so I didn't list it.

Other stuff that released without warning last week that are all on PC/Steam:
- Alwa's Awakening (Metroidvania)

Weekly Releases (February 5th - February 11th)

Nioh
- Platform(s): PS4
- Genre: Action / RPG
- Demo: No longer available.
- Online: Yes.
- Comments: Mark of the Conqueror is fixed now and you should be able to download it if you earned it during the last demo.

Crypt of the NecroDancer
- Platform(s): XB1
- Genre: Rhythm / Roguelike
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A
- Comments: Not Japanese, but a good game. Previously released on PS4, Vita, iOS & PC.

Tale of Fallen Dragons
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Action / Roguelike
- Comments: Chinese language only. Early access.

Sweetest Monster
- Genre: Kinetic Novel
- Comments: Not Japanese. Other VNs by this writer seem to be highly rated on Steam.

Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book
- Genre: RPG
- Comments: Pleasebeagoodportpleasebeagoodportpleasebeagoodport. Also on Vita & PS4.

Nights of Azure
- Genre: Action RPG

- Comments: Also on PS4.

Jump to Die
- Genre: Strategy / Simulation
- Comments: Chinese indie.

Cavern of Time
- Genre: RPG / Adventure
- Comments: Not Japanese.

Super Spring Ninja
- Genre: Trajectory Platformer
- Comments: Not Japanese.

Past Releases
January 29th - February 4th
January 22nd - January 28th
January 15th - January 21st
January 8th - January 14th
January 1st - January 7th

My Fire Emblem # 9465305978
I sent requests to ones already posted.

I wasn't able to get a 5 and didn't reroll either. These posts are making me question that decision.

It is so awesome to hear that you enjoyed the game so much.

I just made it to Chapter 2 so I'm still fairly new; have you encountered any bugs or glitches worthy of note? The reason I ask is because I'm trying to complete the game 100% and do all the substories, but some that are supposed to be available in Chapter 2 are not triggering, while ones that shouldn't be available yet are showing up.
So sorry for the delayed response.

Just beat the game last night and I absolutely loved it all the way through. Really fantastic. Can't wait for Kiwami now.

That said I hadn't noticed any explicitly noticeable bugs or glitches. I did not 100% the game however and I definitely missed a good bit of the substories so I don't know which ones should have popped up and when. Everything played really smoothly for me though. That said I remember getting an update a few days ago that I believe was a bug fix, so just because I hadn't experienced I'm sure there still may have been. Just none that I'm aware of. Sub stories were fantastic though. Luckily I can go back now and play through a lot of the ones I missed if I decide to dedicate more time to the game..... or maybe I'll move on to Final Fantasy XV. I dunno

My Fire Emblem # 9465305978
I sent requests to ones already posted.

I wasn't able to get a 5 and didn't reroll either. These posts are making me question that decision.
How many 4's did you get. I would say you can make it through most of the game and earn enough orbs for rolling 1-2 sets of five easily with 2 solid 4s. Chapter 9 will suck without leveled 5 star units though. Im currently grinding my Camilla (hue hue hue) to level 25ish before I attempt 9-2.

I don't know if anyone still cares about these Da Capo 3 impressions, but i'm still giving them.

I did one of the side stories....ugg that story was even better the full route I did! I started another route and so far it seems to be a lot better than my previous route. I'm waiting for a big reveal (which I can almost guess....) but it is going slowly but smoothly. Every route is pretty long. At least you really get to know the main people. Getting better at least and I'll give even more impressions after the next route. That will likely be my last until I finish the game. I just wanted to let people know that just that route was garbage.

How many 4's did you get. I would say you can make it through most of the game and earn enough orbs for rolling 1-2 sets of five easily with 2 solid 4s. Chapter 9 will suck without leveled 5 star units though. Im currently grinding my Camilla (hue hue hue) to level 25ish before I attempt 9-2.
I got one 4 star, two 3 stars (ones a healer), and two 2 stars. I progressed through the story and collected enough orbs to try again and got a 5 star Peri, and four other 3 stars. I'm at the end of chapter 5 now and its starting to get more difficult to progress through the levels.

I don't wanna be "that guy", but this is the Niche DEAL thread. Not the Fire Emblem and friends hangout. I'm thinking it's time to move all the Fire Emblem talk to another thread.

I don't wanna be "that guy", but this is the Niche DEAL thread. Not the Fire Emblem and friends hangout. I'm thinking it's time to move all the Fire Emblem talk to another thread.
While your point is valid based on the deals part in the title of the thread, people just tend to congregate hear to talk about Japanese related game stuff for the most part. Whether it be news, perspectives on games, what seems like the monthly cesonroship debate, or preorders for some msrp product, people have those conversations in this thread. That's the whole discussion aspect.

Cheap Ass Gamer, and especially the weeb threads here, hasn't been about deals for years now. This is what happens when you let cancer metastasize instead of excising it when first encountered.

The fact that it's difficult to grind part of the reason why it's a great game. No more people saying you have to grind to beat this rpg. No you actually have to git gud. :)
Get good isn't a proper response to how conquest was built. Its just poorly balanced. bosses have paired units or in some cases paired bosses with them, range weapons on top of good skills on them and their grunts and enemies severely outnumbering you. You don't even have more than 3 units until a number of chapters into the game and your first 2 units are temps. They took criticisms of awakening being to easy and went too far in the opposite direction.

It wouldn't of been as bad if enemies were crappy like they used to be instead of equal or more powerful than your army while not limited unit wise while you idiotically still are bound to a cap of how many you can deploy. They also should of changed the exp rate system since its too low.

Just got this set on my fourth pull

feh_zpsdydawjdj.png

Its a shame that each of the 4 star and above are all red though I can't complain. Should be able to beat 9-5 now and call it quits. Been stuck there for a day.

Here is a deal I've been keeping a secret for a while now, since I wanted it to continue to drop before posting. Now it's going back up in price, so get it while it's still low. This is for the people who missed the lightning deal and the $45 price a few weeks back. It's sold out at GS and other retailers, so better get it before its gone.

:pS4: Blazblue Central Fiction Limited Edition ~$52

Also, if anyone wants "actual deals" even for niche games, just go to the AWD thread and to DS2U's posts. Odin Sphere CE and Valkyria Chronicles Steelbook was dirt cheap on Amazon yesterday and wasn't even posted here but it was there.

As I said before, this thread is cursed, and we should be glad that Waifu War 1 didn't start yet and that the discussion has been relatively calm thus far, no censorship/physical vs Digital/damaged packaging debate. Just wait till P5 comes out, it will be the apocalypse of this thread.

We also haven't had one of these in a while:

tumblr_mo5odopl8S1s4qvrdo1_500.gif

Join the PS4 CAG Overwatch group if you want to team up and play!

Get good isn't a proper response to how conquest was built. Its just poorly balanced. bosses have paired units or in some cases paired bosses with them, range weapons on top of good skills on them and their grunts and enemies severely outnumbering you. You don't even have more than 3 units until a number of chapters into the game and your first 2 units are temps. They took criticisms of awakening being to easy and went too far in the opposite direction.

It wouldn't of been as bad if enemies were crappy like they used to be instead of equal or more powerful than your army while not limited unit wise while you idiotically still are bound to a cap of how many you can deploy. They also should of changed the exp rate system since its too low.
Incorrect, conquest was perfectly balanced. the game requires proper team building, character building, and strategy in order to succeed, exactly what a fire emblem game should be.

I just put Fire Emblem games on the easiest difficulty and use auto battle.
Which is why I don't fault intelligent systems for putting in easy mode and casual difficulty for those who want to just enjoy the story and characters

It's sad that conquest had such a bad story considering it was fantastic from a gameplay standpoint. So instead of being praised as better than awakening and an evolution of the franchise, it's a mixed reception instead.

Here's hoping the next two fire emblems continues the gameplay design of conquest while crafting a good story. Well also hoping they don't make a game and split it into 3 parts,,,

Cheap Ass Gamer, and especially the weeb threads here, hasn't been about deals for years now. This is what happens when you let cancer metastasize instead of excising it when first encountered.
Oh I know, just wait until we find out that the game is actually censored in the US. Shit will hit the fan.

Could anyone just verify for me whether or not Digimon Cyber Sleuth came with a physical manual? I'm assuming like most modern day games it didn't but just want to be sure. Thanks!

Could anyone just verify for me whether or not Digimon Cyber Sleuth came with a physical manual? I'm assuming like most modern day games it didn't but just want to be sure. Thanks!
vita asia engrish edition didn't come with one either in case you were curious. Only the slip with the preorder mons.

Incorrect, conquest was perfectly balanced. the game requires proper team building, character building, and strategy in order to succeed, exactly what a fire emblem game should be.
it is most definitely not perfectly balanced when practically all enemy units have good or better skills than your units do among the other things. The pots chapter alone would be incredibly difficult without the free balisticiandlc. Many of the in game mechanics are practically inaccessible in conquest due to how little of everything resources wise it gives you to work with. Thank god the children come pre leveled as if they were un promoted like in awakening you'd never be able to use them.

it is most definitely not perfectly balanced when practically all enemy units have good or better skills than your units do among the other things. The pots chapter alone would be incredibly difficult without the free balisticiandlc. Many of the in game mechanics are practically inaccessible in conquest due to how little of everything resources wise it gives you to work with. Thank god the children come pre leveled as if they were un promoted like in awakening you'd never be able to use them.
Yes the game is quite challenging even on normal mode. But I found that quite refreshing after how easy awakening was on hard mode. Also note that I played birthright first so I had a very good understanding of the new mechanics already before going into conquest. That's probably why our experiences are vastly different. This is why I usually recommend to others to play birthright first, since it's a good primer, before going into conquest even though conquest is what I consider to be the much better game. You have to start on normal before you go to hard mode if you want a metaphor.
As for the children, their stat growths are better if you don't use the special seal in most cases.

bread's done
Back