Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't notice this yesterday, but there's a Bandai Namco sale on Steam until next Tuesday's update right now for their anime titles. Most are 50-75% off. I know Zestiria was in the recent Humble Bundle at the $15 tier and Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 Full Burst at 'Beat the Average', but the rest weren't in it. God Eater 2 + God Eater Resurrection at $20 isn't terrible for two games but will definitely go cheaper down the road. Been that price before too.

I'm pretty late to the game with this, but after all this time re-rolling roughly once or twice a week, I finally managed to roll my first 5 star hero. I have the worst luck with these things and it was especially hard to constantly re-roll since my phone has been acting up.

Can anyone tell me if I should keep or re-roll again?

I got this from summons: 5* Julia, 3* Henry, Tiki, Shanna, Odin
I made it through about half of the normal campaign before I rolled my first 5* hero. Are any of those characters you have healers? If yes, you're fine, if no keep rerolling. I never bothered with rerolling but if I hadn't gotten a Lissa right on that first roll, the game would have definitely been more difficult.

Well, looks like Blizzard has started up their new hero hype train for Overwatch. They posted this earlier today:

Direct Link

https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/835157371106156544

And then a few days earlier they posted this:

Direct Link

https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/834115546090123264

They've already said Doomfist isn't the next hero more or less, so it's likely some robot based character that the girl made I'd guess. Maybe one that has gone rogue. Granted the first twitter image has a watermark saying it's an image from the girl (Efi) in the second link. I probably shouldn't think too much into it.

EDIT: Numbani has been updated on the PTR. Doomfist was stolen from the payload and the spawn room for attackers looks like the first twitter picture above.

Ebay flash sale coupon. Ends at 6pm PST(earlier than usual).

$10 off $50

CFEBFLASH10OFF

Taking a note from whoknows and used it on a figure from amiami this time.

SRW V came in today.  Got like 4 maps in.  Never thought I did see the day I play a SRW in english.  I don't have to guess, or look up, what are the SR condition anymore!

We should be getting a lot of English releases that are just Asia English releases like Super Robot Wars V....but yeah.....A lot of licensing issues for that one.
Totally sucks due to voice actor licensing. </3 Or something like that

EDIT: Sad I missed the Ebay Flash sale. And it was a $10 off $50 and not the $10 off $75 version. Was busy at work the entire day. ><

:ps4: Blazblue LE is $40.29, sold out within like 2 minutes, but waiting list is still up. Damn, way less than what I payed for it. But really, really fantastic game none the less. The most fun fighter I've played in a very long time. 

If anyone bought the game and would like to play a few rounds, or want to join a CAG lobby, feel free to hit me up or post in the CAG Niche PSN community. I'm not very good at the game, but I absolutely love the character Nine. Beautiful and badass to boot.

tumblr_ny0udbVDvt1unuj8ko1_r2_500.png

:ps4: Blazblue LE is $40.29, sold out within like 2 minutes, but waiting list is still up. Damn, way less than what I payed for it. But really, really fantastic game none the less. The most fun fighter I've played in a very long time.

If anyone bought the game and would like to play a few rounds, or want to join a CAG lobby, feel free to hit me up or post in the CAG Niche PSN community. I'm not very good at the game, but I absolutely love the character Nine. Beautiful and badass to boot.

tumblr_ny0udbVDvt1unuj8ko1_r2_500.png
Best girl Mai Natsume isn't even included with the L.E., is she? =/

Are there any multiplayer boost trophies? I might take you up on that if so lol. I suck too, but I've played all of them for the story (except for phantasma extend which I'm still waiting to get a physical for really cheap).

Hmmm, as much as I love Nine, I'm pretty sure Celica is the best gurl. Though Blazblue is filled with waifus anyway so it doesn't matter. And Rachel also got her own mini-Nendo. And I'm not exactly sure Mai Natsume qualifies to be the best gurl...

And as pjmono mentioned, the CE doesn't come with any DLC, and Es was free for a while, although I read that she was free for a week. I missed it anyway, and now they are $8 a piece. If they ever make Jubei, he'll probably be $50.

Are there any multiplayer boost trophies? I might take you up on that if so lol. I suck too, but I've played all of them for the story (except for phantasma extend which I'm still waiting to get a physical for really cheap).
There's the simple, win one match in every mode. Then there's one where you have to boost to level 11 in Network mode. And that's pretty much it, so it doesn't seem like too hard of a platinum.

I've played all of them mainly for the story as well, which is why I was so heartbroken when they didn't get the English voiceover cast back this time around. Really felt attached to a lot of those characters, especially Celica and Tsubaki. Unless they release the dubs (never thought anyone would complain about not having dubs right?) the story probably won't do the trick for me. It also sucks when you have no idea what the banter is between the characters at round start.

I've played all of them mainly for the story as well, which is why I was so heartbroken when they didn't get the English voiceover cast back this time around. Really felt attached to a lot of those characters, especially Celica and Tsubaki. Unless they release the dubs (never thought anyone would complain about not having dubs right?) the story probably won't do the trick for me. It also sucks when you have no idea what the banter is between the characters at round start.
Oh man, I forgot about the voices. I too actually liked the dubs. I just got disappointed lol. At least there's the artbook to look at ^^;

my favorite is tao kaka. :3
I love taokaka as well XD

Hmmm, as much as I love Nine, I'm pretty sure Celica is the best gurl. Though Blazblue is filled with waifus anyway so it doesn't matter. And Rachel also got her own mini-Nendo. And I'm not exactly sure Mai Natsume qualifies to be the best gurl...
They've never shown her as not a girl, so pretty sure she counts still. ;p

besides, her design is super waifu ;p

mai_natsume_750.jpg

I suppose this week more or less belongs to the Nintendo Switch and Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Other than those two, Torment is coming out if you're into CRPGs, but those aren't really asian whatsoever. Oh and Nier that's coming out next week is also purchasable via the Japanese PSN and then playable in English. So if you are viewing Nier info, beware of spoilers if you aren't already aware.

Other stuff that released without warning last week that are all on PC/Steam:
- 4人打ちアクション麻雀 / ACTION MAHJONG (Mahjong / Board Game)
- You, With Me (Kinetic Novel)
- Sakura Magical Girls (Visual Novel)
- School of Talent: SUZU-ROUTE (Visual Novel)
- Bandit Kings of Ancient China / 水滸伝・天命の誓い (Strategy / Japanese Language Only)
- Romance of the Three Kingdoms Ⅲ / 三國志Ⅲ (Strategy / Japanese Language Only)
- NOBUNAGA’S AMBITION: Sengoku Gunyuuden / 信長の野望・戦国群雄伝 (Strategy / Japanese Language Only)
- Mahjong (Puzzle / Matching / Mahjong)

Weekly Releases (February 26th - March 4th)

Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns
- Platform(s): 3DS
- Genre: Simulation / Farming
- Demo: N/A
- Online: Trading / Boosting?
- Comments: It says up to 4 players, but I'm not entirely sure what multiplayer exactly includes.

Ghost Blade HD
- Platform(s): PS4
- Genre: SHMUP
- Online: Local 2-Player Co-op & Leaderboards
- Comments: Digital only. Supposed to also be releasing for PC, Xbox One & Wii U but I'm not sure when.

Suikoden IV (PS2 Classic)
- Platform(s): PS3
- Genre: RPG
- Online: N/A
- Comments: Digital only.

Stranger of Sword City Revisited
- Platform(s): Vita
- Genre: First-Person Dungeon Crawler / RPG
- Comments: Digital only. Beefier version of the original game.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- Platform(s): Wii U, Switch
- Genre: Action Adventure / Open World
- Comments: The game most people are probably waiting for. Some Amiibos seem to unlock unique looking items. Not sure if they are obtainable in-game normally.

I Am Setsuna
- Platform(s): Switch
- Genre: RPG
- Comments: Previously released on PS4 & PC.

1, 2, Switch
- Genre: Party / Mini-Games
- Online: Local only.
- Comments: I suppose I shouild include this.

Shovel Knight (Treasure Trove / Specter of Torment)
- Genre: Platformer
- Comments: Not Japanese, but it's talked about enough to include it. Also getting the latest expansion, Specter of Torment, before everyone else. Previously released on 3DS, PS4, PS3, Vita, X1 & PC.

Otome Romance Jigsaws - Midnight Cinderella & Destined to Love
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Jigsaw Puzzle / Otome

River City Ransom: Underground
- Platform(s):  PC
- Genre: 2D Brawler
- Online: Yes.
- Comments: Not by Arc System Works, so not Japanese. Supposed to be releasing tomorrow. Did not get funded enough for other platforms, but it's always possible.

ChronoClock
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Visual Novel
- Comments: Sekai Project release. They claimed it was releasing at the end of February last week.

Past Releases
February 19th - February 25th
February 12th - February 18th
February 5th - February 11th
January 29th - February 4th
January 22nd - January 28th

EDIT: Added Ghost Blade HD, Stranger of Sword City Revisited & Suikoden IV.

Oh Chronoclock...that sounds cool. Denpasoft version (think Nutaku has it too) or bust. I'm getting Trio of Towns....love me farming games. Too many games, but good sounding games nonetheless.

@BlackRockWaifu

the official word for arcsys initial dlc are usually free for the first week of release, but sometime they usually go into 2 weeks to a month. even for guilty gear xrd revelator, both kum and dizzy were free. now they're both $8 a piece.

i usually tell anyone that have a slight interest to download them while they are free and pick up the game later if it's out of their budget.

on another note, tekken 7 eliza is a preorder bonus dlc character... as of this moment, there's no word of unlocking her through the game. if anyone's familiar with past tekken or namco bandai preorder bonus. you can't get them any other way other than preordering it... but you never know, it's a gamble to wait and see.

oh as for waifu...

Vu2RbmN.jpg

Does anyone have some suggestions of their favorite paid DLC for Japanese games? I've already grabbed the full games that are digital only I've been interested in like Phantom Breaker Battlegrounds + the Kurisu DLC, as well as some Samurai Warriors 4/4-II costume DLC, and the Future Tone Season Pass. Beyond that, not much else.

After getting a large amount of trade credit at a local store I'm noticing that getting newer releases is kind of a pain with whomever their small distributor is. My solution has been to just pick up lots of prepaid digital storefront cards. Unfortunately, PlayStation has a cap of $150 on wallet balances so I can't store up more than that at a time.

I guess all that DOA5LR DLC is an option... But I'm still kind of betting that whenever they stop making new DLC they'll bundle all the old stuff together in some way with some kind of discount. The real question is if they'll really ever stop making it at this point. Haha.

Does anyone have some suggestions of their favorite paid DLC for Japanese games? I've already grabbed the full games that are digital only I've been interested in like Phantom Breaker Battlegrounds + the Kurisu DLC, as well as some Samurai Warriors 4/4-II costume DLC, and the Future Tone Season Pass. Beyond that, not much else.

After getting a large amount of trade credit at a local store I'm noticing that getting newer releases is kind of a pain with whomever their small distributor is. My solution has been to just pick up lots of prepaid digital storefront cards. Unfortunately, PlayStation has a cap of $150 on wallet balances so I can't store up more than that at a time.

I guess all that DOA5LR DLC is an option... But I'm still kind of betting that whenever they stop making new DLC they'll bundle all the old stuff together in some way with some kind of discount. The real question is if they'll really ever stop making it at this point. Haha.
I'm waiting for LRG to bring Phantom Breaker Battlegrounds over.

I'm going to be buying Zelda Breath of the Wild for the Wii U. It was one of the reasons I bought the Wii U, and dammit, I will play it on the Wii U.

Another cheaper CE: :ps4: One Piece: Burning Blood - Marineford Edition $57.97

Lightning Deal: :wii: Wii Sports by Nintendo (Certified Refurbished) 7:41 pm Est

We should probably set up a fight night whenever there's a chance. Would love to play some gaems with you guys.
Yeah, definitely! Again, I'll make a post or set up an event in the CAG Niche PSN group, so just join that one since I don't know all of your individual PSN IDs. The game has lobbies, but also like an arcade roaming mode with chibi characters, and you can like invade other people's houses or something, it's pretty neat!

bread's done
Back