Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
14 minutes of Ace Combat 7 gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDU-mXi1MK0
Wow, you can finally dispense chaff/flares in an Ace Combat game. I'll never understand what took them so long to implement that basic feature. As much as I like the Ace Combat series, this was one of the reasons I enjoyed HAWX's gameplay more.

Really excited to play this. Hopefully it captures the grandeur of AC 4, especially with the incredible music and memorable missions (that final Megalith mission...).

If you have Twitch Prime, they are giving out a free Legendary Loot Box this month for Overwatch. Pretty much guarantees a legendary item in that box. Hope they have event versions of these in the future.

https://twitch.amazon.com/prime/loot/overwatch?ref_=SM_OM_CIDD_TW_OW

They are also giving out 5 lootboxes in August and 5 in October. So a total of 10, and 1 legendary box, free.

This announcement got me going like:

tumblr_nke9s6xQe01sleg1yo1_500.gif

They haven't gotten the license yet, but I really hope they would localize it.

Sega has officially given up on doing anything new with the series so they'll just keep selling us the same songs over and over. Next year they'll do Future Tone DXX which includes all the songs from Project Diva X as well... :shame:
I wouldn't mind them taking this route if we get the eventual Hatsune Miku Future Tone DXXX *wink wink*.

For those interested it looks like VALKYRIE DRIVE -BHIKKHUNI- launched on Steam today.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/550080/VALKYRIE_DRIVE_BHIKKHUNI/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYA-VNeRypw

The game is apparently remastered in 1080p at 60FPS, with native support for higher resolutions like 4K.  Also if you already own Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus on Steam you should have received a 25% off coupon for the "Complete Edition" of Valkyrie Drive, dropping the subtotal to $26.99.

Picked up a copy of Cave Story Plus at Gamestop, lucked out and got the Keychain of the main character. Feels good man
Nice.

My amazon copy came in today. It was heat sealed which I'm pretty sure I saw on another Switch game (can't remember which). Doesn't matter anyway since I open all my Switch games.

That instruction manual & inside cover art tho, A++.

The lil mini CD soundtrack it came with is pretty neat too.

If you have Twitch Prime, they are giving out a free Legendary Loot Box this month for Overwatch. Pretty much guarantees a legendary item in that box. Hope they have event versions of these in the future.

https://twitch.amazon.com/prime/loot/overwatch?ref_=SM_OM_CIDD_TW_OW

They are also giving out 5 lootboxes in August and 5 in October. So a total of 10, and 1 legendary box, free.

This announcement got me going like:

tumblr_nke9s6xQe01sleg1yo1_500.gif

They haven't gotten the license yet, but I really hope they would localize it.

I wouldn't mind them taking this route if we get the eventual Hatsune Miku Future Tone DXXX *wink wink*.
Date A Live Localization will be nice.

Knowing my luck and shitty RNG, I'll probably get a dupe of Roadhog AGAIN. Or another one of his skins.

chapter 26 map for prokect xzone 2 sucks.  It sucks soo very much.   Complete fluke from the ai deciding not to give me a game over and attack chrom instead.  Got like 5 game overs because of that horrible chapter.  If you want to do a defense map you either need to 

A. provide choke points or

B. let me use all my units.

glad I procrastinated with miku future, now I'll definitely pick up the physical release.
ehhh...I already brought the psn version

What sucks is I still haven't played it (due to massive backlog, brought it mainly to maximize the value of my PSN coupon a while back)

I really want a physical copy, I'll rebuy/import if needed.

1st world problem

Street pass would be great except it's completely dead where I live. There are exactly 2 locations I know of out of about 10 that used to work so that just sounds like a feature I'll get locked out of now.

You know, I almost forgot Lady Lay - err....Layton's Mystery Journey (what a mouthful!) is out on mobile in a month from now.

And evidently Level-5 is wondering how to implement Layton on the Switch.

Would any of you buy a remastered collection of the Layton games on Switch? I would. Trouble is they'd need some new puzzles or else those math problems that took you like...I don't know...an hour to figure out....is gonna be done in a minute.

Wow, you can finally dispense chaff/flares in an Ace Combat game. I'll never understand what took them so long to implement that basic feature. As much as I like the Ace Combat series, this was one of the reasons I enjoyed HAWX's gameplay more.

Really excited to play this. Hopefully it captures the grandeur of AC 4, especially with the incredible music and memorable missions (that final Megalith mission...).
I know right? Assault Horizon's use of flares was pretty stupid. Most of the time I launched them I'd get hit anyway.

My bad double post but I missed this...

Sega has officially given up on doing anything new with the series so they'll just keep selling us the same songs over and over. Next year they'll do Future Tone DXX which includes all the songs from Project Diva X as well... :shame:
PDX did some new things. This just seems like a definitive version situation. No big deal and it's something people want.
So you're telling me...that I threw $75 at Sega in January for...no reason? fuck . Better use that for Sonic Forces.

And I should have waited on PDX. Really didn't feel like it had $50 worth of content in it. Definitely my (NOT) favorite moments were when they'd be asking for stuff that I didn't have after I finished a song. I'm like...Stop bein' a gold digger way down in town and dig on me. -_-

for a second I thought a user got banned for posting a deal then I realized its a mod.  Not used to seeing them with the weird colored user name.

I've got all of the main story line manga, aren't the blus pretty expensive?
Nah, not at all. The collections are composed of two cours, or two volumes, each. They had been on hiatus for awhile but now Funi is releasing 6,7,8, & 9 all within a short time frame (They are up to vol. 22 as of dec 16, 2016). So you get ~24 episodes for ~$25-30 apiece when you wait for a sale. I'd say 600 minutes for that price is a pretty good value proposition.

You can't just binge watch the series. It gets formulaic and arc-y. But when you just want to unwind with good solid fantasy adventure anime right before going to bed, it's perfect.

Is the meatball gonna move the thread because it doesn't have manga in the title now?

I jest, since I'm obviously 100% fine with topic detours and initiate plenty myself, but couldn't resist.

They definitely look more like they should in this new game. The change on the guy though is pretty crazy considering what he looked like in Cold Steel II.

Also for those interested in some extra Cold Steel III info, it has been confirmed that [customspoiler='Cold Steel Characters']Laura, Fie and Elliot[/customspoiler] will be party members, but no idea if it's temporary or permanent. Considering who has been revealed so far enemy wise, it's no surprise the first one is there but a bit disappointed in the last one since they were a pretty bland character.

They definitely look more like they should in this new game. The change on the guy though is pretty crazy considering what he looked like in Cold Steel II.

Also for those interested in some extra Cold Steel III info, it has been confirmed that [customspoiler='Cold Steel Characters']Laura, Fie and Elliot[/customspoiler] will be party members, but no idea if it's temporary or permanent. Considering who has been revealed so far enemy wise, it's no surprise the first one is there but a bit disappointed in the last one since they were a pretty bland character.
Agreed. I wonder...
If Alfin will try to drag Rean in again for her debut.
And my bro is clamoring for me to preorder an import so he can use Google Translate and try to spoil Sen III for me.

My concerns about the ever-expanding cast though seem to have increased over time. No clue how Falcom is going to tie up all these loose ends.

Speaking of loose ends, I finally got to the last dungeon of Trails 3rd. Oh man, I'm 55 hours in I think. Took it slow grinding and got through the "subplot doors." The 3rd also reminded me why I like the old battle orbment system better than the simplified Cold Steel one. I think this could be my favorite Trails game? I may have missed your post Drake but did you finish 3rd yet?

Speaking of loose ends, I finally got to the last dungeon of Trails 3rd. Oh man, I'm 55 hours in I think. Took it slow grinding and got through the "subplot doors." The 3rd also reminded me why I like the old battle orbment system better than the simplified Cold Steel one. I think this could be my favorite Trails game? I may have missed your post Drake but did you finish 3rd yet?
Yeah I finished it. It's currently my GOTY. As a stand alone game, I'd probably rate it an 8/10 with several issues. However with it completely wrapping up the Trails in the Sky arc and setting up a metric fuck ton of lore for future titles, it rates a solid 9/10 for me.

The large cast of 16 playable characters worked well in Trails in the Sky the 3rd because they were pretty much all well established before hand except for a couple. If they do that to Cold Steel III... I'm kind of hesitant honestly. The original cast weren't established well enough for them to pull a Trails in the Sky the 3rd with the game. Unless they plan on making another direct sequel to Cold Steel III.

I also prefer the Sky orbament system to the simplified Cold Steel orbament system. I'd also tell your brother to fuck off because the writing is what sells the game and not knowing Japanese only gives you basics and not the full picture using a machine translation. Even people who are able to read Japanese to a certain extent have expressed that replaying through Trails in the Sky the 3rd in English for example helped clarify things and they spotted things they didn't before because they're not super fluent in Japanese.

EDIT: Besides Star Door 15 being insanely crazy and dark as hell, Star Door 14 is absolutely nuts as well. Also the ending is kinda crazy in TitS the 3rd as well.

Yeah I finished it. It's currently my GOTY. As a stand alone game, I'd probably rate it an 8/10 with several issues. However with it completely wrapping up the Trails in the Sky arc and setting up a metric fuck ton of lore for future titles, it rates a solid 9/10 for me.

The large cast of 16 playable characters worked well in Trails in the Sky the 3rd because they were pretty much all well established before hand except for a couple. If they do that to Cold Steel III... I'm kind of hesitant honestly. The original cast weren't established well enough for them to pull a Trails in the Sky the 3rd with the game. Unless they plan on making another direct sequel to Cold Steel III.

I also prefer the Sky orbament system to the simplified Cold Steel orbament system. I'd also tell your brother to fuck off because the writing is what sells the game and not knowing Japanese only gives you basics and not the full picture using a machine translation. Even people who are able to read Japanese to a certain extent have expressed that replaying through Trails in the Sky the 3rd in English for example helped clarify things and they spotted things they didn't before because they're not super fluent in Japanese.

EDIT: Besides Star Door 15 being insanely crazy and dark as hell, Star Door 14 is absolutely nuts as well. Also the ending is kinda crazy in TitS the 3rd as well.
Oh man that door and Kevin's backstory. Definitely wasn't expecting that.
And we were also talking about whether all those kids in door 15 were actually real or not.

It was pretty upsetting how a lot of Class VII didn't get the usual Falcom story treatment. In which yeah...But jeez, if these characters are playable it makes me wonder if there will be like....32 characters or something like that. Lol. They'd have to wrap up a TON of subplots.

And sage advice as always regarding my bro. I did try to play a bit of Ys VIII on my Vita last year. The machine translation....oh. Dear. God. Needless to say that didn't turn out well.

Man $39.99 for Nurse Love Addiction.... I was going to pounce on it for $20 or less. I have to check the vndb about it and see it's length since I have a lot of longer VNs to complete (Libra of the Vampire Princes, Dies Iries, and soon Dal Segno). I'm also not much into yuri, which I think this is. I recognized the game since it came out on PC about a year ago.

Oh man that door and Kevin's backstory. Definitely wasn't expecting that.
And we were also talking about whether all those kids in door 15 were actually real or not.
I'd guess that
she underwent multiple personality disorder to escape the hellhole she was in. However it's hard to be certain because in that kind of situation, even though it was specified by the adults that they didn't exist that could be a lie to break her further.

And yeah, Kevin's backstory is a bit on the crazy side as well.

Man, Trails in the Sky is one of the top games for my back-log. I started playing the first 45 minutes, but haven't committed to digging into it deeper. The crazy thing is that I originally acquired the game for the PSP, so I've basically had it for as long as it has been available.

I think my reluctance is associated with how long those games tend to be, and how strong their stories are rumored to be. I love a good story, and have a very hard time stopping when I get into any such story. I just know that if I get into it, I'll be spending the next month and change doing nothing else.

Man, Trails in the Sky is one of the top games for my back-log. I started playing the first 45 minutes, but haven't committed to digging into it deeper. The crazy thing is that I originally acquired the game for the PSP, so I've basically had it for as long as it has been available.
haha exact same thing here man. It has become especially daunting now that I have five of them to play through from the beginning.

I think my reluctance is associated with how long those games tend to be, and how strong their stories are rumored to be. I love a good story, and have a very hard time stopping when I get into any such story. I just know that if I get into it, I'll be spending the next month and change doing nothing else.
Same. Imported FC Evo and still yet to open it. Just this series (FC/Planned SC EVO Import) and Sky 1/2 can extend my Vita life by at least a year after literally no games are coming out to the Vita.

Compound that with the Atlier series on Vita, which I'm currently finishing up Escha Logy, and YS series (Memories and upcoming VIII), and God Eater 1/2 import, along with preordered Danganronpa V3, I feel intimidated and happy at the same time.

Unless you're someone who takes 6+ months to play through one game that's 50-70 hours, I would just start it. You can easily take breaks after the games and longer ones in between the major arc plot lines (TitS FC/SC -> TitS the 3rd -> ToCS I/II). I mainly say that because the endings of Trails in the Sky FC & Trails of Cold Steel I basically kick you while you're down due to their endings. Some people have issues with breaks in between direct sequel endings that hit you in the face.

Also a lot of changes have been made to the Trails in the Sky SC & FC scripts in retrospect after finding out things in later games to help connect the wording better. One in particular even got their name changed entirely. Unfortunately the PSP version does not have these changes. Only the PC version does. Plus the PC version of Cold Steel will have a lot more voice acting. Particularly the main character who was silent in a lot of dialogue when other allies weren't.

EDIT: Also, the EVO versions were done by Chara-ani, which aren't great. Some people prefer them, but ehh, I'm not particularly keen on them and the changes they made to it.

Saaaaame. I'm finding it easier to start with Cold Steel so I'm just going with that, even though it's generally advised against for spoilers (but I don't really care about spoilers)

So what's everyone's verdict on this game? I'm still debating whether to grab it or not on release, or should I wait for a price drop (despite it already being $40 on release). I know it got a lot of hate b/c it wasn't a far departure from the Valkyria series norm, but as a standalone game itself? Anyone have any experience with it?
Looks like a hot mess from what I've seen of the game play. I haven't played the Jap demo though. I'm thinking of it too, but already got too much for June, so it will likely have to wait.

I'll be picking up Valkyria Revolution on launch.

I played the Japanese demo and thought it was interesting. Definitely does not deserve to be considered part of the 'Valkyria' name since the gameplay is so different, but I think it'll be cool as it's own thing. Plus at $40 ($32 GCU), it's at a good price for me.

bread's done
Back